PDA

View Full Version : Is Spurs' Golden Age Over? (Boston Globe)

duncan228
07-05-2008, 11:55 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/07/06/is_spurs_golden_age_over/?page=1

Is Spurs' golden age over?
If healthy, they think they'll contend again
By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / July 6, 2008

Imagine what would have happened if Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, or Ray Allen couldn't have played deep into the playoffs for the Celtics. Imagine the Lakers without Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, or Pau Gasol.

That's basically how the Spurs viewed their situation in their failed attempt to repeat as NBA champions with their big three not at full strength. With Manu Ginobili hampered by a left ankle injury that could keep him out of the Olympics for Argentina, the Spurs' star trio of Ginobili, Tim Duncan, and Tony Parker wasn't at full strength and fell shy of repeating. Assuming they are healthy next season, the Spurs very well could return to the Finals.

"I hope we can come back with a healthy group," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "[The Ginobili injury] hurt us significantly. How good would the Celtics or Lakers have been if one of their three best players were injured? The teams that win championships have their best players playing when it matters the most, not to take away anything from the Lakers or Celtics."

I predicted prior to the 2007-08 season that San Antonio and Boston would play in the Finals. And even after the Lakers acquired Gasol in a midseason trade, I stuck with my prediction because of the Spurs' ability to get back on defense and then defend in suffocating fashion, run when needed, and play textbook half-court basketball. For years, the Spurs have been playing like the Celtics did this past season.

During the 2007-08 regular season, Ginobili averaged a team-best 19.5 points and 5.9 free throw attempts per game. But because of his ankle, the Sixth Man of the Year's production dipped in the postseason, and in the Western Conference finals Ginobili averaged 12.6 points and attempted only 3.2 free throws per game.

"We had 'Ma,' but we didn't have 'nu,' " said Spurs guard Brent Barry.

If an MRI expected to be taken soon doesn't show improvement in Ginobili's ankle, expect the Spurs to ask him not to play in the Olympics, even though he will be Argentina's flag bearer during the opening ceremonies. And considering that Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is a former USA Basketball assistant who loves the international game, Ginobili would have to be in bad shape for the Spurs to suggest he sit.

"It was worse than [Ginobili] let on," Spurs forward Anthony Bonner recently told the Toronto Star. "When I was watching Ray Allen go right by [Lakers guard] Sasha [Vujacic] every time and lay it in every time, I was like, 'Yeah, it must have been really hurting.' " Vujacic often guarded Ginobili in the conference finals, but with more success than he had against Allen.

Once the Spurs were eliminated from the playoffs, many believed they needed to get younger. San Antonio's roster averaged 31.6 years of age this past season, while the Celtics were at 28.8. The Spurs, however, laughed at the notion that they were too old, especially since Duncan (32), Ginobili (31 on July 28), and Parker (26) are still playing well when healthy, and are younger on average than the Celtics' Allen (33 on July 20), Garnett (32), and Pierce (30).

"[The media has] been saying that for a while," said Buford. "Very few championship teams have won with young players. The Celtics were young for a while and now they have James Posey, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, P.J. Brown, and Sam Cassell. Championship teams are very seldom made with young players.

"This group has been to the conference finals four of the last six years and won three championships. I like our group. We've got to be healthy."

While Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker will remain the Spurs' headliners, their supporting cast is expected to get younger. The Spurs' free agents include forward Robert Horry, Barry, swingman Michael Finley, and forward-center Kurt Thomas. San Antonio is interested in re-signing Thomas and Finley, but also has interest in Clippers free agent forward Corey Maggette and Nuggets free agent guard J.R. Smith. Dynamo Moscow center Robertas Javtokas, drafted by the Spurs in 2001, could move to the NBA next season.

Expect the Spurs to give 21-year-old center Ian Mahinmi a chance to prove himself next preseason. And rookie George Hill is expected to back up Parker.

The Spurs have won all four times they have reached the Finals but have never repeated. And since 2003, San Antonio has reached the Finals every other year. If the Spurs are healthy, it is very possible that trend will continue in 2009.

But considering how an already tough Western Conference is expected to get tougher, the Spurs know it won't be easy.

"I'm not a fortune teller," said Buford. "But the Lakers will be better, Phoenix will be better, the Hornets will be better."

Brutalis
07-06-2008, 12:00 AM
The teams that win championships have their best players playing when it matters the most, not to take away anything from the Lakers or Celtics.

Like I have said in the past, if Manu was sooooo hurt why did he even play? So many missed shots and turnovers is what killed us more than him just not doing what Manu usually does. He shouldn't have even played if he was so damn hurt.

ducks
07-06-2008, 12:02 AM
had spurs won game one
manu would not have played game 2

Budkin
07-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Hell no it isn't.

Tully365
07-06-2008, 12:08 AM
When did we pick up Matt's brother Anthony? Was it like the Marc for Pau deal?

Anti.Hero
07-06-2008, 12:12 AM
yes

When many look back on the 07-08 season and think about what was really at stake for the Spurs legacy, they will commit suicide.

Anti.Hero
07-06-2008, 12:14 AM
San Antonio is interested in re-signing Thomas and Finley

Unbelievable.

mystargtr34
07-06-2008, 12:18 AM

The writer must of put 'bonner' in to google and the first that came up was Anthony.... right after he googled Spurs Draft History and scouted spurstalk.com

xtremesteven33
07-06-2008, 12:28 AM
good article.

actually spoke the truth and put the spurs in good light.

jcrod
07-06-2008, 12:36 AM
The teams that win championships have their best players playing when it matters the most, not to take away anything from the Lakers or Celtics.

Like I have said in the past, if Manu was sooooo hurt why did he even play? So many missed shots and turnovers is what killed us more than him just not doing what Manu usually does. He shouldn't have even played if he was so damn hurt.

Yep.

tlongII
07-06-2008, 12:50 AM
"We had 'Ma,' but we didn't have 'nu,' " said Spurs guard Brent Barry.

:lmao

IronMexican
07-06-2008, 01:15 AM
they definitely have one more push, imo.

itzsoweezee
07-06-2008, 01:19 AM
finley's time is done. he got his ring. just let it go man.

ABDENOUR POWER
07-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Imagine what would have happened if Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, or Ray Allen couldn't have played deep into the playoffs for the Celtics. Imagine the Lakers without Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom, or Pau Gasol.

Or without Andrew Bynum.

Oh wait...

O-Factor
07-06-2008, 01:50 AM
AnthonyBonnerDynasty

Ghazi
07-06-2008, 02:01 AM
What an oversight though since the Lakers were playing without one of their 3 best players.

I believe that starting with the 2009-2010 season the Spurs will no longer be contenders.. one push left.

lefty
07-06-2008, 02:24 AM

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/006/929/05b.jpg

polandprzem
07-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Knicks want's to sign him?

:pctoss

Seperating brothers

WayOutWest
07-06-2008, 03:07 AM
The media is Charlie Brown, the Spurs are Lucy and the "they are getting old" argument is the football. It's practically been a decade, will those guys ever learn? Poor Charlie Brown.

wisnub
07-06-2008, 03:41 AM
fuck mark spears...fook boston globe. There will be no second time

wisnub
07-06-2008, 03:44 AM
If we sign Finley and Thomas..and lost in playoffs again, then FUCK SPURS FRONT OFFICE AND FUCK RC BUFFORD!!! I love Spurs player but everybody in Spurs Management can suck cock. I know we are old dudes,but not learning from experience and be total stubborn will not help. I will withdraw my statements if Spurs sign both and we got another championship.

DazedAndConfused
07-06-2008, 04:09 AM
I've never seen so much whining and excuse making over an "injury" in my life. Manu was so hurt that he played in all 5 games of the WCF.

BIG FUCKING DEAL. You think the Spurs are the only team who has had to suffer through injury in the playoffs? Look at the Rockets, they were without their BEST player and you don't see them whining and moaning about it. Fuck even the Lakers were without their starting center, yet nobody seems to mention that.

For a franchise that espouses the notion that they are classy and dignified they certainly do whine like fucking pussies. Or maybe it's just their fanbase.

SPURS50
07-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Newsflash LAKERS are shit!

anakha
07-06-2008, 04:42 AM
For a franchise that espouses the notion that they are classy and dignified they certainly do whine like fucking pussies. Or maybe it's just their fanbase.

The insinuation that the Spurs fanbase is classless is incredibly amusing, coming from a Laker fan.

07-06-2008, 05:12 AM
brent barry is hilarious. we need to keep him at all costs.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2008, 05:33 AM
I've never been so obsessed with a team and their fans as I am with the Spurs.

Alice_spurs
07-06-2008, 06:34 AM
I still believe spurs is the best!
So I don't think Spurs' Golden Age Over,and I believe Duncan Ginobili Parker can win!!

mrspurs
07-06-2008, 07:32 AM
imo this past season....of our big 3, duncan performed the worst, he looked slower, and more helpless then tony and manu....manu was hurt so they say, parker well he couldnt do it alone...but there is no excuse for duncan(other then he has no help at all downlow) for missing so many easy shots, no more reliable off the glass shot, bad free throw shooting, amazingly out of sync during large amounts of playing time......im sure if you look at duncans face most of this past season he was frustrated with himself and or something...i know it isnt easy being double teamed, having to play point guard, but some of his decision makings were pretty bad...the guy looked old period, no jump, and about 1 great jump shot(the miracle 3) here and there....tony made alot of layups and could have made many more jumpshots, manu what can you say...if he is on so are we, if he is off, we play horrible......but duncan? no excuse...lets hope he gets better help then he has, cos next season duncan aint gonna get all those old shots back, and he aint gonna jump higher...if we go in with the same bigs, imo the rest of the west will have number 21's number.....

z0sa
07-06-2008, 09:29 AM
As if the West wasn't targeting No. 21 from about '98 on.

rj215
07-06-2008, 10:10 AM
brent barry is hilarious. we need to keep him at all costs.

What do RC and POP see in Finley that makes him a better fit for us than Barry? Barry can handle the ball at PG letting Tony get some rest, and he can also play SF/SG. All Finley can do is catch and miss. But I guess that's why RC and Pop have built 4 championship teams and I sit around talkin shit on a forum. :flag:

DazedAndConfused
07-06-2008, 11:27 AM
I can't stop eating

Shut your mouth fat boy, nobody is talking to you

Pucho!!!
07-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I've never seen so much whining and excuse making over an "injury" in my life. Manu was so hurt that he played in all 5 games of the WCF.

BIG FUCKING DEAL. You think the Spurs are the only team who has had to suffer through injury in the playoffs? Look at the Rockets, they were without their BEST player and you don't see them whining and moaning about it. Fuck even the Lakers were without their starting center, yet nobody seems to mention that.

Because he was hurt and he's a great competitor. That becomes a dangerous combination, which can at times hurt the team, but like everyone knows we couldnt have won it all without our big 3 bein healthy. If you think otherwise then why was it so easy for Ray to go pass Sasha Vujabitch. You dont think a healthy Manu would have tore up Sasha; giving him more reason to yell "FUCK!" like the little homo he is. The makeup of our team last year wont allow us to winn it without them hence why we want someone else who can put it on the floor and possibly create their own shot. The reason no one mentions your starting center bein hurt is because LA got a steal with Pau, so Bynum became irrelevant (esp. his 2 failed attempts to return). If I were you, I'd stop throwin bynum into your big 3 and hope that he can run without pain....oh, and I am what I eat :hat

exstatic
07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Shut your mouth fat boy, nobody is talking to you

Oh, the irony. Obviously YOU are. :lmao

SenorSpur
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Too much emphasis on Manu's injury; too little emphasis on an aging roster with some bench players, whose skills have diminished to the point where their contributions were virtually nil.

Manu's ineffectiveness was surely evident, but overall I also saw a team getting outquicked, outworked, outhustled and outrebounded. And all that cannot be solely attributed to Manu's injury. A team that looked old, tired, beat up, injured, slow and one that lacked any spark.

It's too easy of an easy "out" for them to use Manu's injury as an excuse to cover up some of the personnel mistakes they made with the roster. I don't care what Pop and RC keep saying.

The sooner these guys stop denying this, the better off everyone will be.

my2sons
07-06-2008, 11:58 AM

ahhh....losing by 50 in game six still hurt....

Spuradicator
07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Im so obsessed with the Spurs.

Jeff,

Promptly get off our sack already.

Dingle Barry
07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
The media is Charlie Brown, the Spurs are Lucy and the "they are getting old" argument is the football. It's practically been a decade, will those guys ever learn? Poor Charlie Brown.

Very nice

clubalien
07-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Dynamo Moscow center Robertas Javtokas, drafted by the Spurs in 2001, could move to the NBA next season.

I alwyas thought the plan was ian and splitter coming over this is news to me

Lakers_55
07-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Hmmm....I predicted a western finals win when the playoffs started. I was wrong. However, I will predict the same thing now. Boston is crowing in their success, I predict their golden age will end before the Spurs does. Who's big 3 is younger? Duh...

Next year looks like a crapshot, but Boston will fade before the Spurs do. Also, smart money says the Spurs will rebuild when their big three is done. I doubt Boston will be able to compete with SA over the next generation. Spurs have consistently proven they can rebuild, Boston took 22 years.

Manufan909
07-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Dude, why does your sig have a Spurs fan in it? Not that I'm complaining, though...

And if the Spurs can get two from this list: Delfino, Pietrus, Smith, Maggette, Posey, David Lee; then I'm happy. If the Spurs don't get another decent big and Ian turns into a bust, it'll be hard. Replacing Horry's stellar production shouldn't be too big a challenge, though. :downspin:

Is there anyway the Spurs could get Maggette + Delfino/Pietrus/Posey and a solid big like Lee/Najera, or is that just wishful thinking? Maybe a S&T using Vaughn/Bonner/Fab(I know they aren't ideal bait)? I'd hate to see Fab go, but it's mostly because of how great a teammate he is to Manu, I know Kurt's the better C, and I DON'T want Oberto helping Timmy show Ian the ropes if at all possible.

Lakers_55
07-06-2008, 11:47 PM
Dude, why does your sig have a Spurs fan in it? Not that I'm complaining, though...

Hey! I am glad someone finally asked!

This was my old signature:

http://www.badongo.com/t/150/3441707http://www.badongo.com/t/150/344192414 NBA Championships!
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:coming... :lobt2:

Everyone knows the Lakers have 14 trophies, and we'll get another sooner than later but....

I have noticed members here appreciate hot looking girls in signatures. When I found this collection of photos about 2 weeks ago when it came out, I couldn't resist. Some Laker fans hate the Spurs. Some Spurs fans hate the Lakers. I happen to like the Spurs, I like all teams. However, I think most of us all like hot babes! So, I added Miss Anette Dawn for everyone to enjoy. She has huge breasts and a dynamite body. This photo collection has over 100 pictures in it and she sheds that #21 jersey fast!

Manufan909
07-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Unlike members in Mavs and Suns boards, of course.

peskypesky
07-07-2008, 12:59 AM
imo this past season....of our big 3, duncan performed the worst, he looked slower, and more helpless then tony and manu....manu was hurt so they say, parker well he couldnt do it alone...but there is no excuse for duncan(other then he has no help at all downlow) for missing so many easy shots, no more reliable off the glass shot, bad free throw shooting, amazingly out of sync during large amounts of playing time......im sure if you look at duncans face most of this past season he was frustrated with himself and or something...i know it isnt easy being double teamed, having to play point guard, but some of his decision makings were pretty bad...the guy looked old period, no jump, and about 1 great jump shot(the miracle 3) here and there....tony made alot of layups and could have made many more jumpshots, manu what can you say...if he is on so are we, if he is off, we play horrible......but duncan? no excuse...lets hope he gets better help then he has, cos next season duncan aint gonna get all those old shots back, and he aint gonna jump higher...if we go in with the same bigs, imo the rest of the west will have number 21's number.....

Tim Duncan had the best stats of all the PF's in the playoffs this year. 20 points, 14.5 rebounds, 2 blocks and 3 assists per game. The only PF who was comparable was Dirk, and he got knocked out in the first round.

You say Duncan has no excuse? What's your excuse for being a dumbass?

rascal
07-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Hmmm....I predicted a western finals win when the playoffs started. I was wrong. However, I will predict the same thing now. Boston is crowing in their success, I predict their golden age will end before the Spurs does. Who's big 3 is younger? Duh...

Next year looks like a crapshot, but Boston will fade before the Spurs do. Also, smart money says the Spurs will rebuild when their big three is done. I doubt Boston will be able to compete with SA over the next generation. Spurs have consistently proven they can rebuild, Boston took 22 years.

Spurs will be lottery bound after Duncan. And that will continue until they get a franchise type player through the draft.

GrandeDavid
07-07-2008, 07:47 AM
We need to keep Barry in SA just because he's so quotable.

And I wonder if Tony Bonner will be with the Spurs next season.

mrspurs
07-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Tim Duncan had the best stats of all the PF's in the playoffs this year. 20 points, 14.5 rebounds, 2 blocks and 3 assists per game. The only PF who was comparable was Dirk, and he got knocked out in the first round.

You say Duncan has no excuse? What's your excuse for being a dumbass?

numbers had nothing todo with the way duncan played this past yr...if he would have made just 1/4 of his missed layups, his numbers would have been off the wall.........you dont read well i can see....you sound like my 5 yr old or maybe even my 20 yr old