PDA

View Full Version : Team USA’s Tough Mission

duncan228
07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=124269

Team USA’s tough mission
By BILL VELASCO

Gone are the days when the US men’s basketball team was considered a lock for the gold medal in the Olympic Games. With a new line-up, the next incarnation of the Dream Team has answered some questions, but raised some new ones.

Many of the NBA’s established big men like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett demurred when asked if they would play for their national team. Others were left off after some grousing about playing time and needing a vacation. Still, Team USA easily won over the field and became FIBA Americas champion. The only team they couldn’t blow away was a depleted Argentina.

The Beijing Olympics edition announced two weeks ago lists Most Valuable Player Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Jason Kidd, Tayshaun Prince, Carlos Boozer, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Michael Redd and Deron Williams. Tyson Chandler is an alternate on the team, because of the murmurs about its lack of size.

"The team is stronger than the one I was on," admits Washington Wizards All-Star guard Gilbert Arenas at his welcome press conference Saturday. "I like the additions to the team, like Tayshaun Prince. It gives them a dimension they didn’t have before."

As promised, Team USA will have three point guards, and several veterans. And they seem to have answered the questions about lack of legitimate shooters with placing Michael Redd on the roster. However, will Redd be as prolific coming off the bench in crisis situations. The main concern, aside from lack of size, is whether or not all the players will be able to adjust to not being the main man when it matters.

The US faces host China in its opening game. Both teams are in Group B, along with defending world champion Spain and Angola. Two other teams will be added after the FIBA qualifying tournament in Athens, Greece next week. Group A is made up of defending Olympic champion Argentina, Lithuania, Russia, Iran and Australia. The sixth team of the group will also come from the Athens competition. The top four teams in each group advance to the quarterfinals.

The US will not be playing with a homecourt advantage as it did in the FIBA Americas tournament, and all the other Olympic qualifiers are stronger than any other contenders they faced there. The weaknesses revealed there may have been addressed already: poor point guard play, lack of cohesion and limited knowledge of their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses.

Individually, Team USA has enough athletes to be the top defensive team of the Games, as long as they play defense as a unit.

Who will be the main challengers to Team USA?

Some basketball observers actually favor 2006 FIBA World Champion Spain over Argentina, simply because the Spanish players are a little younger. Majority of the Spanish starters will be in their late 20’s in Beijing, while three of Argentina’s starters will be in their early 30’s. Then again, Spain suffered a shock defeat to Russia in the finals of the Eurobasket tournament. And isn’t Pau Gasol a little worn-out from playing in his first NBA Finals?

"It’s been a long season. I’ve never had to go so long and the truth is you feel it," Gasol was quoted as saying.

Forward Jorge Garbajosa, a former Toronto Raptor, is expected to be fully healed from surgery on his left leg and ankle. Spain will also play tune-up matches against Croatia, Portugal and Argentina in the next few weeks, and will face Russia on July 20, their first encounter since the Eurobasket upset.

Argentina is an intriguing contender to consider. Six of their top players missed the FIBA Americas tournament, and they still finished second. More inexplicably, Team USA had trouble putting the persistent Olympic kings away. I asked Team USA starting center Dwight Howard about this over the phone after the Las Vegas joust.

"I really don’t know what to tell you," he began. "I just hope it doesn’t happen again."

Remember, too, that practically half of Argentina’s squad also sees action in the NBA.

Beyond those two European teams, Lithuania would be a dark horse to medal. They would have made the Eurobasket finals against Spain, had they not been waylaid by Russia in the semis. Watch out for Sarunas Jasikevicious and Ramunas Siskauskas, who carry this team. If Russia’s confusing defense holds, they may also crack the top four.

So far, on paper, Team USA has the upper hand. But that’s also been said before. Injuries and outside shooting will be critical.