PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted Prospects

Sway
07-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I was looking around at the undrafted players that may be worth a look. What do you guys think of these players? Is there anyone else that may be worth a spot on SL team?

Pat Calathes SF St. Joes – The player I probably like the most. Doesn’t really have an NBA position, he is a PG in a SF body. At 6'10" with his skill set he is definitely worth a shot. Had a really good pre-draft camp, competed very well against the competition.
From nbadraft.net
Strengths: A point forward, excellent ball handling and passing ability. Was a 5-11 PG until a late growth spurt in high school … Retained PG instincts and abilities ... Excellent outside shooter. Shoots 40% from 3 and FT shooter: 82% ... Solid agility and speed for size ... Sets up teammates well with good vision and is very unselfish ... Has developed his one-on-one skills well, in particular his ability to use the dribble drive to score ... Shoots well off the dribble ... Uses both hands well around the basket ...

Josh Duncan PF Xavier – A big man with a nice outside shot. Super strong, benched the most (26 times) out of any player at pre-draft camp.
Strengths: Good NBA size for a power forward. Long wingspan. Good strength. Great three-point shooter for a big man. Excellent free throw shooter. Smart player.

Jamont Gordon PG/SG Miss St – Probably the best player not drafted.
From nbadraft.net
Strengths: Strong combo-guard ... Fine athlete with good wingspan ... Stat-sheet filler, able to contribute in 4 categories ... Built like a tank, knows how to use his body ... Very crafty scorer, utilizes hesitation, crossover and in-and-out dribbles to get his defender off-balance before going by ... Reliable midrange game ... Quick release and nice elevation allow him get his shot off against virtually anyone ... Good defender, uses his strength and length ... Good rebounder, averaged around 7 rebounds.

Gary Forbes SG UMASS – Does a lot of things well but is not great at any. Had a good college career and pretty good pre-draft camp, but was still not drafted.
From nbadraft.net
Strengths: Versatile wing with good combination of length and athleticism ... Good feel for the game and shows strong leadership skills ... Impressive ball handling skill … Makes good decisions and leads the break well ... Good defensive ability … Positive A/TO ratio is testament to his high basketball IQ ... Athleticism is decent ... Uses his ball handling ability to get to the basket. Midrange game is polished ... Should be able to contribute at the next level right away. A smart, mature, experienced player … hard worker.

exstatic
07-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Summer league? Sure. Take a look. I doubt even all of our draft picks will make the roster, though. None of these poor bastards would stand a chance.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Gordon and Calathes are already on SL teams.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Cathales - Miami

Duncan - Miami

Gordon - Denver

Forbes - Washington

SenorSpur
07-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Josh Duncan sounds like a good candidate to take a look at. However, the preceeding post has him going to Miami.

ChumpDumper
07-06-2008, 04:46 PM
FWIW, Miami will be done when the Spurs SL starts. I guess we'll know the Spurs' roster in 2 or 3 days.

Jlowd21
07-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Does anybody knoww if Demarcus Nelson has joined a summerleague team yet?

ChumpDumper
07-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Does anybody knoww if Demarcus Nelson has joined a summerleague team yet?Golden State.

angelbelow
07-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Cathales - Miami

Duncan - Miami

Gordon - Denver

Forbes - Washington

yea was gonna post this too.

Sway
07-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Cathales - Miami

Duncan - Miami

Gordon - Denver

Forbes - Washington

If I remember correctly, SL invities can be signed by any team, regardless of which team's SL team they are playing for. Is this correct?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 08:35 PM
If I remember correctly, SL invities can be signed by any team, regardless of which team's SL team they are playing for. Is this correct?

Yup.

Sway
07-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Summer league? Sure. Take a look. I doubt even all of our draft picks will make the roster, though. None of these poor bastards would stand a chance.

I think Gordon and Calathes have as good a chance as any 2nd rounder. They both have the talent but for one reason or another didnt get drafted.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I definitely think Calathes will find his way into the NBA by next season.

Sway
07-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I definitely think Calathes will find his way into the NBA by next season.

I agree, his problem is that he doesnt fit into a stereotypical NBA position, but the talent is there. What position do you think he will play at? Everyone talks about his ball handling, feel for the game, and intangibles, do you think it would be a stretch for him to play some part time PG minutes?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I agree, his problem is that he doesnt fit into a stereotypical NBA position, but the talent is there. What position do you think he will play at? Everyone talks about his ball handling, feel for the game, and intangibles, do you think it would be a stretch for him to play some part time PG minutes?

I don't think it's a stretch, but I wouldn't be one to count on him very much at the point. I see him as the 3rd string PG, so hopefully whoever picks him up is pretty solidified in that position.