PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed: Spurs & Celtics are the Finalists for Posey, according to his agent

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 05:59 PM
James Posey: The second most popular free agent? He may be, everyone wants a bench defender who can shoot. Posey may have made his case in the NBA finals this year by his stellar play and hustle. Is he a starter? Maybe, but not for the whole season, he is best played off the bench and in crunch time.

Who is interested? Well the Lakers were a James Posey away from winning the championship. They only have a mid-level exception to offer though, will 3 years 20 million be enough? It may be a little larger than that. (Note that teams over the cap can use that mid-level and extend a long term deal using yearly increases that would be about a million dollar a year raise each year.) Posey's agent says that Boston and San Antonio are the finalists, but they both are in the same situation as the Lakers. Posey has to be ready to settle down, and stop moving around. Boston is where he wants to be, but they have to lock him up.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Where_is_the_Money/286135

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 06:02 PM
This definitely brings up the idea that between San Antonio and Boston, they will end up with either Posey or Maggette.
If we end up either, this offseason would be a success, IMO.

djohn14
07-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow, didnt see this coming...I was thinking Maggette...Pietrus....probably not Smith, but Posey never crossed my mind for us.

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Posey doesn't bring enough offense and points.

We need to add more points for when Manu is injured after the Olympics.

:nope

ducks
07-06-2008, 06:06 PM
this is awesome
because posey will get the mle
and mag is the spurs

spurs are fortunate boston does not have bird rights for posey

ducks
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Posey doesn't bring enough offense and points.

We need to add more points for when Manu is injured after the Olympics.

:nope
he is injured right now:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Darkwaters
I tend to agree. Posey would be a great player to have. I love his game a lot. But we need more scoring than defending at this point.

Still, I'll take Posey over bidding on someone out of reach and then having a knee jerk "Rasho Nesterovic" like signing to call the offseason a "success".

Kindergarten Cop
FWIW, the author of that "article" is hnic28. The original story that he based his info on was from the Michael McGowan at the Bleacher Report and he did not mention anything about Posey (or his agent) listing the Spurs as a "finalist".

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:08 PM
this is awesome
because posey will get the mle
and mag is the spurs

spurs are fortunate boston does not have bird rights for posey

So, if Boston resigns Posey, then we get Magette?

Hope so!

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
he is injured right now:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

I know.

He will stay injured. He won't recover since he refuses to rest his ankle.

ducks
07-06-2008, 06:09 PM
spurs get posey and then jr smith forces denver to do a sign and trade with the spurs

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I get the feeling between Maggette and Posey, one will go to SA and the other to Boston.

Question is which would Spursfan be happier with? Posey or Maggette?

ducks
07-06-2008, 06:19 PM
if spurs can get smith I want posey
I want posey for the lle
so they can still use the mle on smith

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:19 PM
I get the feeling between Maggette and Posey, one will go to SA and the other to Boston.

Question is which would Spursfan be happier with? Posey or Maggette?

Which would you be happier with 1Parker1?

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:20 PM
I want posey for the lle

That would be great.

Or if we just picked up Magette, I would be happy.

Also, if we picked up Pietrius and Posey, that would be a successful offseason, I would think!

thoughts?

1Parker1
07-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Which would you be happier with 1Parker1?

Maggette. I know Posey isn't too bad an option to have on your bench and I definitely wouldn't complain about it. But I really feel the Spurs lacked another playmaker and offensive threat this year to push them over the top. Posey isn't going to be able to take the pressure off of Ginobili/Parker/Duncan offensively in the long regular season.

Not to mention Maggette for the MLE is a bargain price. Not too sure if Posey is worth the Full MLE and a possible 3 year contract at his age.

Spurtacus
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
I like Posey for hi D and clutch shooting...but we need offense. Mag. and JR are priorities.

ShoogarBear
07-06-2008, 06:23 PM
No way is Posey signing for the LLE.

I'm surprised to hear that the Spurs' offer is being that highly considered, allegedly.

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Maggette. I know Posey isn't too bad an option to have on your bench and I definitely wouldn't complain about it. But I really feel the Spurs lacked another playmaker and offensive threat this year to push them over the top. Posey isn't going to be able to take the pressure off of Ginobili/Parker/Duncan offensively in the long regular season.

Not to mention Maggette for the MLE is a bargain price. Not too sure if Posey is worth the Full MLE and a possible 3 year contract at his age.

Great points.

I agree with all of them.

Kindergarten Cop
I want posey for the lle

The whole reason Posey hasn't signed with Boston already is because they won't offer him the full MLE for more than two seasons. Reportedly they have already offered 3yr/$12M. Why on earth would he accept the LLE from us if Boston is offering him that?

angelbelow
wow thats crazy, we'l each get one then, i still think maggette is a better fit for us though.

picnroll
07-06-2008, 06:25 PM
The list is now complete. Spurs are showing interest in every free agent available.

Kori Ellis
FWIW, the author of that "article" is hnic28. The original story that he based his info on was from the Michael McGowan at the Bleacher Report and he did not mention anything about Posey (or his agent) listing the Spurs as a "finalist".

Exactly.

It looks like the Yardbarker blogger might have made that up (or be just projecting his opinion). I don't see Posey's agent saying anywhere that the Spurs/Celtics are the finalists.

T Park

Posey would start and get minutes, but I agree, that wouldn't address the need for a slasher or someone to take the offensive load off in the regular season.

Would be a fantastic wing to have play against the Mavericks, Lakers and others in the playoffs.

ShoogarBear
07-06-2008, 06:26 PM
My agent will soon announce that my choices are down to the Spurs, Wizards, Sixers, Knicks, Warriors, Bulls, Kings, and Hornets.

Kindergarten Cop
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
No way is Posey signing for the LLE.

I'm surprised to hear that the Spurs' offer is being that highly considered, allegedly.

I'm not buying it one bit. Again, the author of the piece goes by the screen name hnic28. Does that sound like a credible source? I googled the words "Posey's agent spurs celtics finalists" and only came back with this source.

Biggems
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Although scoring was an issue last year, IMO, scoring is not what we needed the most. Defensive rebounding is what we needed the most in the WCF. Because of our severe lack of defensive rebounds, except by Duncan, the Lakers used all those second chances to murder us.

So, while scoring is a big need for us, aggressive rebounders are more essential.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I added "Unconfirmed" to the title because this isn't a legit source.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2008, 06:30 PM
It looks like the Yardbarker blogger might have made that up (or be just projecting his opinion). I don't see Posey's agent saying anywhere that the Spurs/Celtics are the finalists.

ShoogarBear
07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
And I think Bottomtooth should be banned, for good measure.

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm not buying it one bit. Again, the author of the piece goes by the screen name hnic28. Does that sound like a credible source? I googled the words "Posey's agent spurs celtics finalists" and only came back with this source.

You mean this isn't a breaking story ?

:downspin:

Kindergarten Cop
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
You mean this isn't a breaking story ?

:downspin:

Actually, it would have been had we read it at Hoopsworld.com ;)

Mavs<Spurs
07-06-2008, 06:33 PM
A smackdown for unethical posting was just issued.

It appears a just ruling.

I wouldn't have known any better had you all not said this!

Thanks!

:bang

Kori Ellis
07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
This story:

http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Where_is_the_Money/286135

is just a re-mix of this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/34142-where-is-the-money-free-agent-updates

and somehow they added in the Spurs/Celtics are the finalists.

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 06:35 PM
My agent will soon announce that my choices are down to the Spurs, Wizards, Sixers, Knicks, Warriors, Bulls, Kings, and Hornets.

Don't lie.

You would never go to Sacramento. :lol

ShoogarBear
07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Don't lie.

You would never go to Sacramento. :lol

Ordinarily, no. But the chance to party for a year with Ron-Ron and Beno may be too much to pass up.

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Ordinarily, no. But the chance to party for a year with Ron-Ron and Beno may be too much to pass up.

True and isn't Funt up there somewhere?

T Park
07-06-2008, 06:54 PM
:lol Bottomtooth gets a pass.

This time.

exstatic
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM

BULLSEYE

This is all just agentspeak.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
:lol Bottomtooth gets a pass.

This time.
:worthy: