PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Vision: Projecting LeBron James' Destination

duncan228
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=431724

2010 vision: Projecting LeBron James' destination
Sean Deveney

Boy, oh, boy, are folks in NBA front offices everywhere salivating. The free-agent market will do that to a general manager. Not this summer's free-agent market -- duds abound there -- and not even next year's. No, teams are lathered up for 2010, when Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire, Tracy McGrady, Michael Redd, Chris Bosh, Dirk Nowitzki and Dwyane Wade will be contract-free.

But those will all be consolation prizes (even Wade). That's because the top name on the list is the league's biggest -- LeBron James. And get this: When the summer of free-agent love rolls around, James will be but 25 years old.

Every team has LeBron fever. That was evident on draft night last week, when the Nets dealt Richard Jefferson to create cap space in '10. Other teams drafted players who could help lure James. Some, though, have no cap room (the Celtics and Lakers). Some figure to have no chance (those in small markets like Indiana and Minnesota or out-of-country markets like Toronto and those coached by Larry Brown, like Charlotte). In the end, only a handful of teams will have a shot at LeBron. The likeliest to land James:

Nets. After trading Jefferson, they drafted a nice haul of Brook Lopez, Ryan Anderson and Chris Douglas-Roberts. They'll have money, they have James pal Jay-Z as one of their owners, and they're moving to Brooklyn. The Nets are in prime LeBron-landing position.

Knicks. New York will have to protect its salary cap room, but the presumption is that if James is going to leave Cleveland, he will do so only to save the Knicks (and bump up his endorsement dollars in the league's biggest market).

Cavaliers. James has said he doesn't want to leave Cleveland, and the Cavs, by league rules, will be able to pay him more than any other team. Cleveland also will have the cash to bring in another top-shelf free agent of James' choosing.

Bulls. Is there a better place for a fella who wears No. 23? The Bulls drafted James' friend Derrick Rose, his ideal point guard.

Heat. The phone call is not hard to imagine. Wade says, "I'll stay in Miami if you want to join me. We've got Michael Beasley. South Beach, too." James says, "Hmmm. What's Pat Riley's number?" Just like that, the Wade-James tandem is born.

San Antonio. If it's a championship James wants, helping Tim Duncan close out his career would not be a bad idea.

angelbelow
07-06-2008, 07:51 PM
lol at the heat spectulation.

kobe_bryant
07-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Kobe calls Lebron: "I don't want you on my team"

Avitus1
07-06-2008, 08:05 PM
James on the Spurs is the funniest scenario I've ever heard of.

Beno Udrih
07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Beno calls LeBron: "shit I cant believe you gave me the right number"

ShoogarBear
07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Kobe calls Lebron: "I don't want you on my team"

Bynum to Kobe: "What do you mean, your team?"

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Bynum to Kobe: "What do you mean, your team?"

:lmao :rollin :lmao

peewee's lovechild
07-06-2008, 08:43 PM
James to SA would kick ass, however improbable it may be.

peskypesky
07-06-2008, 08:47 PM
My guess is that Lebron will go to either the Knicks or the Lakers. He'll want to be in one of the biggest markets, and the chance/challenge of reviving the Knicks might be attractive to him.

jack sommerset
07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
LeBron will win championships no matter what team he is on in the future. Just a matter of time.

John_C
07-06-2008, 08:56 PM
It's all speculation right now, but if New York keeps on bumping off their overpriced players, and really trade for a better core, I expect New York to land him in 2010.

td4mvp21
07-06-2008, 08:57 PM
I think James would choose New York over San Antonio.

exstatic
07-06-2008, 08:58 PM
James to SA would kick ass, however improbable it may be.

It would depend on how sick of losing he is. None of the other teams is a plug-in LoB other than SA, but if he wants the $$$ he should go to NY or NJ. Neither of those teams has the combo of cap space and winning pieces (Duncan, Parker) that SA can offer though. Their cupboards would be pretty bare when he got there, not unlike his arrival in Cleveland. He'd have to shoulder the whole load again.

spurman20
07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
We wont get James, hes about the money, and his shoe deal pays an extra 100mil if he lands in a big market. Dont need Bosh, he is overrated anyway. I will say D Wade is a strong pos....he is about winning and with parker duncan and a couple good role player we would get another ring. Dirk will opt out, that would work out well to resign manu and get Dirk with duncan parker and Ian not a bad starting 5.....I really believe spurs will get stuck getting 2 mid level stars...and try to run with that.

tav1
07-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Probably won't get LeBron, but I'd take Wade and, at the right price, Johnson in a heartbeat. Depending on how much Tim has left, and where Ian Mahinmi is at, Nowitski could be killer too because of the inside out thing.

tmtcsc
07-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Let's hope we lock up Ginobili first. James isn't coming to San Antonio EVER. He's all about New York area.

Kobe's an UFA in 2009. I'd love to see him come here. Damn...look out.

ducks
07-06-2008, 10:01 PM
manu after 2010 may suck
he is going to start losing his speed and effectives

rj215
07-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Bron Bron is staying as far away from San Antonio as possible. He's trying to be a "global icon" and needs a big market team like the Knicks or the Brooklyn Nets.

Bosh is little bit overrated but might be a perfect fit on a team with a core of all stars and a premier coach.

Wade is great now but he might be the next Penny Hardaway if he keeps getting injured.

SPURSGOAT
07-06-2008, 10:51 PM
LeBron has already been saying that he wants to play in NY... so that is where he will probably end up with the Knicks or Nets... We have no chance at landing LeBron; keep dreaming...

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 11:09 PM
It would depend on how sick of losing he is. None of the other teams is a plug-in LoB other than SA, but if he wants the $$$ he should go to NY or NJ. Neither of those teams has the combo of cap space and winning pieces (Duncan, Parker) that SA can offer though. Their cupboards would be pretty bare when he got there, not unlike his arrival in Cleveland. He'd have to shoulder the whole load again.

True but like most players who have come into the league in the last 10 years...its all about the money. They equate money to success regardless if they actually win a title. LeBron would rather make tons of cash and go ringless.

tp2021
07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Perhaps with the boatloads of cash he is getting off the court, he will have amassed a fortune great enough by then to realize that on the court what he should be chasing is a ring.

I just want him on the Spurs.

samikeyp
07-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Perhaps with the boatloads of cash he is getting off the court, he will have amassed a fortune great enough by then to realize that on the court what he should be chasing is a ring.

I just want him on the Spurs.

You'd think so.

Imagine the great publicity for a player like that to say..."I make a lot of money off the court, I can afford to make less on the court in order to win a championship."

People would say he would lose endorsements if he came to SA....I don't buy that, he is LeBron James, the endorsements will come to him no matter where he is.

Bartleby
07-06-2008, 11:32 PM
My money is on the Nets (especially if they're in Brooklyn). I remember hearing that he was pretty star struck around Jay-Z and he would be in the NY market.

Lakers_55
07-06-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with the posters who say he should make his money off the court. If he wants a shot at as many titles as Jordan won, he should look at the league when he's ready to bolt and decide where he could Sixpeat. Damn, 29 teams and their fans are going to be pissed if this happens!

wisnub
07-07-2008, 12:16 AM
He will be in NJ or resign with this team. Looking at how cheap we approach the Free Agency and all the problems...very unlikely he go to Spurs, not in a million years. We need improvement now, not waiting two more years....or why dont we just keep waiting and see what happen

wisnub
07-07-2008, 12:17 AM
If he wants rings he should join us...NOT IN THIS LIFETIME

EJK5032
07-07-2008, 12:34 AM
LeBron will be staying in Cleveland.

ducks
07-07-2008, 12:35 AM
he wants to be the first nba basketball player to make one billion dollars
he is not coming to sa

mrspurs
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
lets see...lebron loves tv shows, loves commericials, loves shoes, loves attention...he is gonna be 25 plus or minus, and im guessing has got enough money and smart ppl. around him he could retire, and live without lifting a basketball ever again.......he will do what all the greats are doing after they're 3 or 4 yr contract is over.........take a paycut and join the lakers or boston......its been proven already a team can be bought in one season and not have the best record, but also win it all......watch how this changes the nba, and the teams like the lakers,boston,da bulls,knicks......if they dont change the rules the nba is gonna get stacked in some areas for yrs to come....and it wont be cos teams dont have enough money, imo it will be cos the team the player just left, already paid his retirement fund twice fold...haha.......go spurs go

tp2021
07-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Will the Spurs FO even really target him? i'm sure they will give "due diligence" and make contact with his agent, but i'm thinking they have a feeling he wont sign here, and have different free agents in mind for that summer. But thats just my guess.

stretch
07-07-2008, 01:14 PM
if cleveland actually gets him help, or if he wins a title there, he stays. if they dont, he will either be in brooklyn or new york.

SenorSpur
07-07-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm really starting to "gag" on all this talk about LebRon and the FA summer of 2010. That's two years away. The media has been falling over themselves talking about this since the draft and I'm so done on the subject.

If the NBA was really serious about enforcing the rules on tampering, they would impose actions on all this public talk by NBA GMs and personnel on where James could be going.

wisnub
07-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Lebron aint getting nowhere, trust me....

If we couldnt get Magette...how in the fucking world we could ever land Lebron? Even NJ already clearing cap, adding rookie bigman Jianlian...and try to lure LBJ to team up with Vinsanity and rookie Williams

spurman20
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Lb will be in Jersey....LB will force cleveland to a sign and trade.....which is why Jersey is collecting players Cleve has coveted. LBs Nike contract pays him 100m more if he is in NY NJ OR CHI......so even taking 1yr less he more than makes up for it. He has stated he would love to live in Ny as well......

exstatic
07-08-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm really starting to "gag" on all this talk about LebRon and the FA summer of 2010. That's two years away. The media has been falling over themselves talking about this since the draft and I'm so done on the subject.

If the NBA was really serious about enforcing the rules on tampering, they would impose actions on all this public talk by NBA GMs and personnel on where James could be going.

Have you actually seen on the record quotes by front office personnel, because that would be punished as tampering. I've personally only seen a TON of idiot talking heads in the media discussing this to death.

NBA Junkie
07-08-2008, 05:38 AM
He'll remain in Cleveland.

The Cavs will have free agent money in 2010 and with the enormous crop of talented FA's available, the Cavs will go hard for a second star to put beside LeBron.

Shaolin-Style
07-08-2008, 06:08 AM
We might be able to talk him into coming when hes in his early 30s or so and on the decline with no championships to show for his career, he'll be rich enough by then. Though I guess Tim will be a few steps slower.