PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Drilling Spin is Laughable

Nbadan
07-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Even if (big if) Exxon/Mobil/BP hit the mother-load offshore load of sweet-baby crude oil it wouldn't do diddly-squat to ease oil prices for you, me or any other domestic consumer...

V1Qj0Vx3Rcs

Sec24Row7
07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Umm... our own oil wouldn't have a terror premium applied to it like other sources of oil do by traders...

Large reserves offshore would take years and years to get to the pump though... it would have no IMMEDIATE effect..

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Neither will the liberal left's insistence more attention is focused on alternative fuels.

Look, I know you libs are fucking dense about this shit because you hate oil companies, but the bottom line is whether we start drilling offshore or 'put more effort into alternative fuel sources', both of these are longer term solutions (i.e., they won't show up tomorrow at the pump).

Alternative fuel technologies are definitely the future, but we need something in the interim - i.e., offshore pumping, ANWR.

We're at the point where even announcing these areas are open for drilling will help alleviate some of the market perception of the crude shortage, so what's the big deal, other than you libs hating the oil companies?

I'm not trying to defend them, but I'm fucking tired of liberals and your energy policies. Let's see:

* can't drill in Alaska
* can't drill offshore
* can't build nuke power plants
* have to use ethanol, which has pushed up food and fuel prices and uses more resources than it saves

Is there anything that we can do as far as mass energy production goes that doesn't require something ridiculously costly, or altogether theoretical (like fusion)?

Fucking man up and admit that there is no one magic bullet to address the energy crisis in the U.S. It's going to take comprehensive, multi-faceted initiatives to deal with this, and one of the short term items that we can do is to open up these areas to drilling.

The Republicans and oil companies pushed for this about 10 years ago as well, how'd you like to have a couple million barrels more a day being on the market right now?

But fuck forward thinking or any other kind of solution, the solution to all our problems is to tax the oil companies more. Lord knows they'll never pass on the costs to us at the pumps :rolleyes

Clandestino
07-07-2008, 01:20 PM
i'm still trying to figure out why dan loves this fucking young turk??? LMAO!!!

DarrinS
07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Another lame ass thread brought to you courtesy of Nbadan

:sleep

Anti.Hero
07-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Ya'lls timetable argument is the stupidiest fucking thing you can possibly try to argue with.

Seriously.

Why do I go to college? To land that 100k a year job tomorrow? No.
Why should we go green if we won't even impact (hypothetically) the Earth for years from now?
Why do I contribute $4k a year to my roth if I can't touch a single penny of it for 40 more years?

Jesus Christ. They have been putting off drilling here for 30 years. What is ya'lls agenda? I can't figure it out. You, Pelosi, the others want to make this country weaker. To make the Global Union transition easier? Keep our resources while the rest of the world uses theirs? What is it?

Saudi Homeboy: "Get Used To It." LOL

RandomGuy
07-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Ya'lls timetable argument is the stupidiest fucking thing you can possibly try to argue with.

Seriously.

Why do I go to college? To land that 100k a year job tomorrow? No.
Why should we go green if we won't even impact (hypothetically) the Earth for years from now?
Why do I contribute $4k a year to my roth if I can't touch a single penny of it for 40 more years?

Jesus Christ. They have been putting off drilling here for 30 years. What is ya'lls agenda? I can't figure it out. You, Pelosi, the others want to make this country weaker. To make the Global Union transition easier? Keep our resources while the rest of the world uses theirs? What is it?

Saudi Homeboy: "Get Used To It." LOL

If the goal is to reduce pump prices today, then solutions that take a few years to have any affect don't really solve the problem.

More drilling will reduce the price of oil over what it would be otherwise, but then so will simply being more energy efficient.

Oil is a global market, so like it or not, even if we pump more oil domestically, that won't make a lick-spit's worth of difference in the larger picture of oil prices. We will STILL be vulnerable to what happens in the middle east.

The only way to really, truly isolate ourselves from the price of oil is not to simply try to get more of an ever diminishing resource out of the ground, but to try and reduce our dependence on it.

DarrinS
07-07-2008, 03:50 PM
If the goal is to reduce pump prices today, then solutions that take a few years to have any affect don't really solve the problem.

More drilling will reduce the price of oil over what it would be otherwise, but then so will simply being more energy efficient.

Oil is a global market, so like it or not, even if we pump more oil domestically, that won't make a lick-spit's worth of difference in the larger picture of oil prices. We will STILL be vulnerable to what happens in the middle east.

The only way to really, truly isolate ourselves from the price of oil is not to simply try to get more of an ever diminishing resource out of the ground, but to try and reduce our dependence on it.

It's not just about immediate gratification at the pump, it's about the long-term price of almost EVERYTHING.

I don't see them designing hybrid tractor trailers any time soon. And that thing you are typing on -- petroleum based.

boutons_
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
"They have been putting off drilling here for 30 years"

why have the oilcos done this? they have leases and permits that are undrilled and unexplored.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2008, 09:26 PM

And both will do even better, right?

Why the negativity for taping more crude? Let them do it!