PDA

View Full Version : Sixers to pursue Krstic if they miss out on Smith?

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Would be nice...

Notes: Nenad Krstic has wandered onto Philly's radar. Sixers president Ed Stefanski has more than $12 million in cap space burning a hole in his pocket, and he will consider putting Krstic on his shopping list if Elton Brand and Josh Smith prove elusive. ... Krstic gave an interview to a Serbian sports periodical this week, and while his clear preference is to stay in New Jersey, he added, "Maybe it's time to change everything." Translations are often tricky, however, and his agent was not available to elucidate....

source (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1215318960134230.xml&coll=1)

xtremesteven33
07-07-2008, 01:43 PM
whats he worth a year?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Scratch one off.

coopdogg3
07-07-2008, 02:06 PM
If they want to use some of their cap space to sign him, more power to them. And good for him.

angelbelow
07-07-2008, 02:08 PM
i was hoping we could work out a deal for kristc since the nets want to save money.

ducks
07-07-2008, 02:13 PM
why

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
A nice scenario. Brand re-signs with the Clippers. Warriors turn to focus on their RFAs and make a run at another (Childress, Josh Smith, whoever). Philly signs Josh Smith to an offer sheet and then makes it clear that Krstic is next in line. Maggette gets scant interest from either (ie neither is prepared to make him an offer). Then he's left with MLE offers to choose from and there's the Spurs with a starting spot, all the minutes he could want, and willing to give him the option to become a free agent in 2010.

timvp
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
A nice scenario. Brand re-signs with the Clippers. Warriors turn to focus on their RFAs and make a run at another (Childress, Josh Smith, whoever). Philly signs Josh Smith to an offer sheet and then makes it clear that Krstic is next in line. Maggette gets scant interest from either (ie neither is prepared to make him an offer). Then he's left with MLE offers to choose from and there's the Spurs with a starting spot, all the minutes he could want, and willing to give him the option to become a free agent in 2010.Yeah, hopefully Maggette's pride comes into play. It seems as like the Spurs were the only team that specifically targeted him as their number one choice. I think a lot of other teams didn't realize how available he was and started looking elsewhere. Now that Maggette is obviously pretty available, suddenly half the NBA wants him.

Props to the FO for recognizing Maggette was a possibility and hopefully the foresight pays off. The Spurs can use the "we've targeted you and only you since 12:01AM on July 1", which I don't think any other team can say.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
And 'we've been trying to land you since a couple years ago.'

Maybe Maggette wants to wait out GS and Philly. But that could mean that he ends up in a less than optimal spot for the MLE. If he signs with a team for the MLE that is likely to be capped out in 2010 and 2011, he could very well find his options limited then for receiving a large contract.

No doubt the Spurs have impressed upon him from the start that they would be willing to allow him to become a free agent in 2010 and oh, by the way, they will have plenty of cap room then.

All the Spurs need is for the Warriors and Sixers to cooperate.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-07-2008, 09:03 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith could sign an offer sheet from the 76ers as soon as Wednesday, which would give Atlanta seven days to match it.

The Sixers are believed to be waiting for official salary-cap figures from the league to determine exactly how much money they can offer Smith. The figure is expected to be about $67 million over five years.

While the Warriors would have more money to offer if Elton Brand turns down Golden State in favor of staying with the Clippers, a report in Monday’s San Francisco Chronicle says “sources inside and outside the organization say he’s (Smith’s) not on the Warriors’ radar.”

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53430/20080707/smith_to_get_sixers_offer_as_soon_as_cap_figures_a re_released/

Blackjack
07-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Philly needs 3-point shooting and a post-player who can score the ball.

Krstic actually makes more sense to me than another wing who can't shoot the ball.

If I'm Philly I'm going after J.R.Smith and not Josh. He'd be another young fella to grow with the team that has the skill-set they're looking for in a 2. They've got the money to steal him from Denver and would still have enough left over to add another piece.

G.S. not having any interest in Josh Smith makes absolutely no sense to me. He's an absolute perfect fit for that offense. He' young, athletic, and has the versatility to play all over the floor. You're telling me that D. Nelson wouldn't want someone like that? On second thought... Josh does play defense. :lol

You'd think it's a smoke-screen but maybe they're not comfortable going after a R.F.A.? I'm not sure what they're thinking, but it doesn't seem like these teams are using alot of common sense. It just seems like teams want to spend their money on the biggest free-agent available, regardless of fit.

Then again, I'm drawing conclusions on reports of what teams are thinking. Maybe it's all misinformation in hopes of throwing other teams off? At least you'd hope so for their fans sake. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 02:54 PM
http://beat.bodoglife.com/sports/philadelphia-76ers-to-trade-booth-carney-to-make-run-at-elton-brand-36273.html

Sixers trading Booth and Carney to the Wolves in order to clear more space.