PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Thomas eyes return to Spurs

timvp
07-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Thomas eyes return to Spurs
By Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Kurt Thomas spent four months in San Antonio last season, just long enough to determine he'd like to come back for a second tour of duty with the Spurs.

Thomas also has been around the business of the NBA long enough to know he'd be best served to look around a bit before committing to that desire in writing.

Though it remains his preference to return to San Antonio next season, Thomas — an unrestricted free agent — said Monday he plans to investigate other opportunities before signing a new contract.

“Hopefully, things work out that way,” Thomas said of the possibility of re-signing with the Spurs. “That's the great thing about being a free agent. I get to weigh my options and decide what's best for me and my family.”

Lost amid the hubbub of the Spurs' week-long recruitment of free-agent swingman Corey Maggette has been their low-key courtship of Thomas, who played an integral role in the team's run to the Western Conference finals last season.

The Spurs have long held interest in re-signing the veteran forward, a desire that only became intensified when former first-round pick Tiago Splitter opted to remain in Spain.

Acquired from Seattle in a trade last February, Thomas started 17 games at center for the Spurs, providing much-needed spurts of rebounding and interior defense. He averaged 6.3 points and 7.2 rebounds split between the Spurs and SuperSonics.

Thomas is one of a handful of free agents the Spurs have discussed retaining, a list that also includes guards Brent Barry and Michael Finley.

What other options might be available to Thomas this summer are uncertain. There would seem to be a niche market, at best, for the 35-year-old forward.

Miami and the Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in Thomas, though the Spurs could offer more money than either of those teams. In all likelihood, the Lakers would partake in the hunt for Thomas only if their bid to retain Ronny Turiaf falls short.

Wherever Thomas lands, he almost certainly will have to take less than the $8 million he earned last season.

Thomas declined to discuss specifics of his negotiations with the Spurs, other than to say he didn't know if the two sides would reach an agreement before the league's moratorium on free-agent signings is lifted Wednesday.

“That's been between the Spurs and my agent,” Thomas said.

Thomas' agent, Jerry Hicks, could not be reached Monday.

Meanwhile, all remained quiet on the Maggette front.

The biggest piece of the Spurs' free-agent puzzle this offseason, Maggette has been pondering interest from a horde of salivating suitors since opting out of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers last week.

The Spurs, owning a $5.8 million mid-level exception with Maggette's name on it, are considered the favorites to land him.

However, Maggette has received similar overtures from Boston, Utah, Orlando, Detroit, Cleveland and New Orleans. Maggette also could draw interest from Philadelphia and Golden State, two teams with salary cap space to outbid the Spurs.

The rest of the Spurs' free-agent picture should begin to clarify once Maggette makes his decision.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070808.1Dspurs-thomas.en.41a2404.html

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Well that sheds new light.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
It looks like the Spurs are going to let the market set Thomas' price.

xtremesteven33
07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
if by the grace of God we can get

Maggette
re-sign Barry
re-sign Thomas

ill go ape crazy

completely deck
07-07-2008, 11:27 PM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9075/crossfingersde0.jpg

VaSpursFan
07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
fascinating article:sleep:rolleyes

timvp
07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Thomas re-signing for two years for between $8M and $12M makes a lot of sense for both sides. It doesn't hurt the Spurs in terms of their lux tax standing. At the very least, having his short contract on the books gives the Spurs ammunition in trades. The Spurs right now lack trade-friendly contracts even if they wanted to make a deal.

timvp
07-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Well that sheds new light.Yeah the most interesting thing I took out of it was it had no mention of Horry. Then again, that's probably due to laziness.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Not to mention that Maggette won't be able to begin making a decision until Brand makes his decision.

rj215
07-07-2008, 11:37 PM

Maggette
re-sign Barry
re-sign Thomas

ill go ape crazy

+1

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Thomas re-signing for two years for between $8M and $12M makes a lot of sense for both sides. It doesn't hurt the Spurs in terms of their lux tax standing. At the very least, having his short contract on the books gives the Spurs ammunition in trades. The Spurs right now lack trade-friendly contracts even if they wanted to make a deal.

Spurs could set themselves up to trade into the Summer of LeBron. Some combination of Oberto ($3.5 mil), Bonner ($3.2 mil), and Thomas ($4-5 mil) would allow them to help another team clear some cap room to chase LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Anthony, and whoever else before the Feb. 2010 trade deadline.

wisnub
07-07-2008, 11:46 PM

Maggette
re-sign Barry
re-sign Thomas

ill go ape crazy

AMEN...championship is assured

tlongII
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM
35 years old

Big P
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM

Bonner doesn't count as a trade-friendly contract?

TDMVPDPOY
07-07-2008, 11:58 PM
watever they do, do not resign finley and horry

angelbelow
07-08-2008, 12:02 AM
sweet!

Blackjack
07-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Spurs could set themselves up to trade into the Summer of LeBron. Some combination of Oberto ($3.5 mil), Bonner ($3.2 mil), and Thomas ($4-5 mil) would allow them to help another team clear some cap room to chase LeBron, Wade, Bosh, Anthony, and whoever else before the Feb. 2010 trade deadline.

:tu

wisnub
07-08-2008, 12:06 AM

Thomas for $8 mill or $12 mill ??? Wow... who would want to trade for 36 year old big man even if the trading team want to slash the cap to enter LBJ sweepstakes. He's not worth that kindda money.... i heard CM paid $7 mill last season. But I guess Thomas is worth more than Magette :lmao

ducks
07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
35 years old

oden 50

ss1986v2
07-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Thomas for $8 mill or $12 mill ??? Wow... who would want to trade for 36 year old big man even if the trading team want to slash the cap to enter LBJ sweepstakes. He's not worth that kindda money.... i heard CM paid $7 mill last season. But I guess Thomas is worth more than Magette :lmao
8-12 mil over two years. thats 4-6 mil per season. math ftw...

anakha
07-08-2008, 12:09 AM
^^ Quick work on the editing job there.

Was just about to point that out. :lol

ss1986v2
07-08-2008, 12:11 AM
^^ Quick work on the editing job there.

Was just about to point that out. :lol
yeah. i should post my own "epic fail" pic right now.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2008, 12:11 AM

Someone gave Brian Cardinal forty million dollars. Ditto for Adonal Foyle. Bigmen with marginal talent tend to be well paid in the NBA. Thomas for 2 years, $10 mil or so is FMV.

wisnub
07-08-2008, 12:17 AM
8-12 mil over two years. thats 4-6 mil per season. math ftw...

My bad..i should said that Thomas was paid more than $8 mill last season compare to Magette $7 mill...sorry i should add it on the post.
The point is i just dont get it if he got paid alot this time since normally at that age most player got vet minimum. But i can be wrong. As of Brian Cardinal case, i got no idea....

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2008, 12:18 AM
A team like the Knicks might be a prime candidate for a cap clearing move ahead of the summer of 2010. James will be eligible for a contract starting at up to 30% of the cap for the 2010-11 season. The Knicks may have about $47.1 mil as their cap figure heading into that summer. Depending on where the cap falls for 2010-11 they may be ready to make a move.

Blackjack
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Someone gave Brian Cardinal forty million dollars. Ditto for Adonal Foyle. Bigmen with marginal talent tend to be well paid in the NBA. Thomas for 2 years, $10 mil or so is FMV.

:tu

When it comes to trading expiring contracts, nobody gives a damn if the guy is over-paid.

They're not trying to get a player to help, but a thick contract that's ready to expire. It's all about freeing up cap-room to make a run at the LeBron's of the world.

The bigger the contract the better. No matter how much of a stiff the player might be.

baseline bum
07-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I hope we bring Kurt back. There's no way Mahinmi is going to be able to play a lot of productive minutes.

WildcardManu
07-08-2008, 12:46 AM
I think KT showed he is worth the money. Dude can rebound, something the Spurs needed to address in that department. Now all we are waiting is to see if CM signs then it's the hello #5.

angelbelow
07-08-2008, 01:27 AM
well i think thomas could make up to 5 mil, but hopefully hes willing to stay for around a million.

johngateswhiteley
07-08-2008, 02:05 AM
...if the dude can play why does it matter how old he is? some age better than others and some take better care of their body. sign him.

Bruno
07-08-2008, 02:22 AM
Thomas re-signing for two years for between $8M and $12M makes a lot of sense for both sides. It doesn't hurt the Spurs in terms of their lux tax standing.

I quite disagree with that.

Spurs have 9 players under contract for $55.8M.
Add a full MLE player (finger crossed...Maggette..finger crossed). Let's take E-N number for the MLE, $5.8M.
Add Thomas for $6M per year.
Add George Hill for about $1M (if he gets 120% of the rookie scale as most players).
You end up with $68.6M for 12 players.

The luxury tax is said to be at $70-71M. Spurs will only be able to fill the bench with min players. They won't be able to use the LLE on someone like Barry or the use the Beno TE.

Spurs are for the moment quite far of the luxury tax but it could become a concern if they throw a lot of money to Kurt Thomas.

JPB
07-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Add a full MLE player (finger crossed...Maggette..finger crossed). Let's take E-N number for the MLE, $5.8M.
Add George Hill for about $1M (if he gets 120% of the rookie scale as most players).

The luxury tax is said to be at $70-71M. Spurs will only be able to fill the bench with min players. They won't be able to use the LLE on someone like Barry or the use the Beno TE.

Spurs are for the moment quite far of the luxury tax but it could become a concern if they throw a lot of money to Kurt Thomas.

I think the MLE shouldn't count here.

The MLE is an exception which allows teams to sign players for the average salary of the league , even if they're over the cap, without paying the tax.

ss1986v2
07-08-2008, 02:43 AM
I think the MLE shouldn't count here.

The MLE is an exception which allows teams to sign players for the average salary of the league , even if they're over the cap, without paying the tax.
nope. any contract signed with the MLE still counts toward tax calculations.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Am I the only that thought this was a rather ironic choice of words for a headline about Kurt Thomas?

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/img/thomas1229.jpg

timvp
07-08-2008, 03:15 AM

Spurs are for the moment quite far of the luxury tax but it could become a concern if they throw a lot of money to Kurt Thomas.Two-year, $12M is the worst case scenario if some team throws their MLE at KT. I haven't seen any team make an indication that they will make a hard push for KT so it's quite possible that the Spurs can get him for less.

I'm not sure what the magic number is but the Spurs can get an MLE player, use either the LLE or the TE (probably don't have roster room to use both anyways ... plus they are almost equal in value), sign Hill, sign a couple minimum contracts and still throw a good amount of money at Thomas. I'm guessing they'll be able to give him up to about $10-11M but I'll have to do the math to figure out exactly.

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2008, 03:20 AM
I want him back..I love KT and he gave us good minutes last year..more importantly, there isn't a remaining FA big man that I would rather have..1 or 2 year contract..Mahinmi will get his minutes, and hopefully he can be productive enough that we can save KT's minutes for the playoffs..

getting Maggette would make getting KT a great re-signing though..

Slinkyman
07-08-2008, 03:53 AM
35 years old

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/sports/2007-06/28/xin_5006042811227632462412.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/sanantonio/1/7/W/O/-/-/kurt-thomas.jpg

which one is the old man?

Texas_Ranger
07-08-2008, 05:39 AM
^^ The First one.:rollin

Bruno
07-08-2008, 05:57 AM
I'm not sure what the magic number is but the Spurs can get an MLE player, use either the LLE or the TE (probably don't have roster room to use both anyways ... plus they are almost equal in value), sign Hill, sign a couple minimum contracts and still throw a good amount of money at Thomas. I'm guessing they'll be able to give him up to about $10-11M but I'll have to do the math to figure out exactly.

When the MLE and the luxury tax numbers will be released today, we should have a better idea of what Spurs could do.
I can also see Spurs giving Thomas a decreasing contract. The luxury tax will be a bigger concern next year than this year.

JPB
07-08-2008, 06:30 AM
nope. any contract signed with the MLE still counts toward tax calculations.

It depends.

If the team is under the cap, the exception counts in team salary.
If the team is over, it doesn't.

Which makes sense and why it's called an exception.

mrspurs
07-08-2008, 07:31 AM
i will pray that some other team signs him before us....i know ill be alone on this...so what....but kurt isnt gonna help us do squat, but use up minutes, during the season only to be happily seen by the opponent come PO time...he's old,slow and most of all...to short...this past PO i saw other bigs just do 2 things different from other seasons(cos of the refs) 1 their bigs were not as agressive with ours(i mean tim only of course) to try and stay out of foul trouble...2 for the exception of maybe just (west from NO), the rest of the bigs stood straight up and into duncans face and raised their arms as high as they could go........and that my friends is why duncan couldnt make such easy shots..(duncan cant jump anymore)...to have 4 arms sticking in front of your face is hard enough, getting older doesnt make it easier....and thats whay i say kurt wont help us...neither will any of our bigs signed at this moment..(say what yall want...i aint seen ian do crap yet) so in my book, he dont count....all this kurt has this deadly 15 ft. shot is bull for ppl. who listen to ppl talk...kurt at best is a good backup.....we still dont have a good starter...the suns killed us more then anyother team by not even playing against us...when they got shaq a snaq, the west panicked, i was hoping we wouldnt, but we did and instead of keeping length....we got shorter....now tim will get doubled all game long, and the west will control the paint....control the paint and you better your chances to win....imo when the FO picked up kurt they killed timmy...in the POs id rather have tall long bigs...(like the rest of the west top tiers) not a 6'9 center that back in the days...timmy loved making fun of...(now look timmy, the guy you used to abuse is gonna stand next to ya).....to me thats a bad joke....id do whatever i could to get rid of kurt, and its not that i hate the guy, he just doesnt fit in the west these days....sad part about it is....there really isnt much out there to look for....ive said it before, if we go into next season with these bigs....we will see a replay...maybe even less wins...just an old mans imo.....

wildchild
07-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Thomas re-signing for two years for between $8M and [B]$12M makes a lot of sense for both sides. It doesn't hurt the Spurs in terms of their lux tax standing. At the very least, having his short contract on the books gives the Spurs ammunition in trades. The Spurs right now lack trade-friendly contracts even if they wanted to make a deal.

A lot of sense for both sides? Sarcasm?.
We offer 6M/Y for a back up center's 35/36 years old?
I like Thomas but I think that is a lot of money. We should make him an offer he couldn't refuse but never more than 4M/year. More money for this guy is a crazy move.

ss1986v2
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
It depends.

If the team is under the cap, the exception counts in team salary.
If the team is over, it doesn't.

Which makes sense and why it's called an exception.
you are confusing the cap line and the tax line. the MLE (as well as DPE, BAE, TPE, the various bird exception) allow you to add salary while above the cap line (you are exempt from the cap limit). but any salary added in these ways still counts when it comes to calculating team salary and therefore figuring the tax number.

check out http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm for more exception information.

SpursFanInAustin
07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
35 years old

What's your point?

Jerome Kersey 36 years old
Mario Elie 35 years old
Avery Johnson 34 years old
Steve Kerr 34 years old
David Robinson 33 years old
Will Perdue 33 years old
Sean Elliott 31 years old
Jaren Jackson 31 years old

Won the championship (including the young Blazers getting their azz swept!)

Kevin Willis 40 years old
David Robinson 37 years old
Steve Kerr 37 years old
Danny Ferry 36 years old
Steve Smith 34 years old
Bruce Bowen 32 years old

Won the championship

Tony Massenburg 37 years old
Robert Horry 34 years old
Bruce Bowen 34 years old
Brent Barry 33 years old
Glenn Robinson 32 years old

Won the Championship

Robert Horry 36 years old
Bruce Bowen 36 years old
Brent Barry 35 years old
Michael Finley 34 years old
Fabricio Oberto 32 years old
Tim Duncan 31 years old
Francisco Elson 31 years old

Won the Championship

Bottomline is, every championship team has to have veterans with 8-10 years experience to provide leadership as well as basketball smarts to make the smart plays in big games.

wildbill2u
07-08-2008, 08:11 AM
35 years old

Pop likes 'em old. It also helps if they are as mobile as a deeply rooted tree.

Mark in Austin
07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah the most interesting thing I took out of it was it had no mention of Horry. Then again, that's probably due to laziness.

Yeah. I'm waiting for the next Ludden article with another Spurs scoop.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2008, 11:33 AM
KT can be a decent player in the Spurs system. He contributed almost immediately after joining the team, something no other Spurs big signed in the last 8 years can attest to.

FromWayDowntown
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm all for bringing KT back -- he became a dependable option for Pop as he became more familiar with the system and one would think that allowing him a full training camp would make him more savvy and valuable (and perhaps alleviate some pressure about walking in to be a savior).

On another note, I'm inclined to think that McDonald listing only Thomas, Finley, and Barry as FA the Spurs are interested in retaining is meant to create an exclusive list (i.e., an intentional exclusion of Stoudamire (expected), DerMarr Johnson (not surprising), and Horry).

kobyz
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
question: we can sign Thomas w/o using the MLE?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2008, 11:44 AM
On another note, I'm inclined to think that McDonald listing only Thomas, Finley, and Barry as FA the Spurs are interested in retaining is meant to create an exclusive list (i.e., an intentional exclusion of Stoudamire (expected), DerMarr Johnson (not surprising), and Horry).

Not having Horry next season just doesn't feel right.....I'd keep him around just for his presence alone.

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Not having Horry next season just doesn't feel right.....I'd keep him around just for his presence alone.

agreed

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2008, 12:14 PM

Yes

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 12:43 PM

Yes we have KT's Bird Rights since he was not waived and he did not swithc teams via FA over the past 3 seasons.

SpursChampsIII
07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Spurs fans better start hoping we can bring back Thomas and probably Horry too. Otherwise, we are going to be very thin in the frontcourt. If you can replace Horry with a Skinner, then ok, but Mahinmi not being ready = big problems.