PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Stable Spurs let others do drama

Kori Ellis
02-03-2005, 01:12 AM
Stable Spurs let others do drama: Popovich may change routine to join hobbled Duncan as an All-Star
Web Posted: 02/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020305.1C.BKNspurs.lakers.adv.6d4fc9e7.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — Meanwhile, just down the road ...

As a convoy of satellite trucks and reporters descended upon the Los Angeles Lakers' practice facility Wednesday to watch the fabled franchise wave farewell to its second coach in eight months, the Spurs quietly gathered at Loyola Marymount University for a routine practice.

Their coach isn't going anywhere, except maybe to Denver for the All-Star Game, though that, too, might be enough to make him contemplate resigning.

The Spurs will meet the Lakers tonight at the Staples Center and Gregg Popovich was surprised like everyone else to learn Rudy Tomjanovich won't be joining him on the sideline. Citing stress and health-related issues, Tomjanovich stepped down as the Lakers' coach Wednesday.

"He's been in the business a long time," Popovich said. "He has the ability to make that kind of decision and do what's best for him and his family. I hope this is something that helps him be satisfied."

While it won't exactly give him his own sense of fulfillment, Popovich and his staff will guide the Western Conference team in the Feb. 20 All-Star Game if the Spurs beat the Lakers tonight or Phoenix loses one of its next two games.

Popovich has said he would prefer not to go — he traditionally heads to San Francisco during the break to relax — but he also knows he can't skip the assignment if the Spurs continue to hold the conference's best record after Sunday's games.

"If something like that happens, obviously it will be an honor to just be around all the best players in the league and coach a group that's that talented, even for a short period of time," Popovich said. "But it's not something I wake up and live or die for."

In addition to earning extra pocket money, Popovich has another advantage if he coaches the All-Star Game: He can limit Tim Duncan's minutes.

Duncan, expected to be named today as one of the West's starting forwards, has been bothered by a nagging hip injury in recent weeks. The injury hasn't kept Duncan from playing, but Popovich said he wouldn't hesitate to sit him if it worsens.

Duncan hurt his hip while running in a practice. He had yet to fully warm up when he stopped, pushed off in the opposite direction and felt a muscle strain. He has been hampered in his explosiveness and getting enough lift on some of his shots.

"More than anything," he said, "I think I can hurt myself trying to get into a stance or push off in a certain way."

The Spurs have four days off after tonight, and Duncan wouldn't mind also using the six-day All-Star break to rest.

"It would be an exceptional time for me, not only physically but, oddly enough, also mentally to just get away from the game," Duncan said. "I've been playing basically for three, four years straight, so it would be great to get away from it for a little bit of time. Just go somewhere where there's no basketball."

Duncan knows, however, there's little chance that will happen. If a player can't play in the game because of injury, the NBA usually requires him to attend the weekend's media sessions, photo shoots, parties and sponsor-related events.

In recent years, celebrities and music-industry types, as well as their hangers-on, also have used All-Star weekend to promote their own careers.

"Pop will be an absolute fish out of water," Duncan said, laughing. "You think I don't enjoy that stuff. He's pretty damn close to how badly I dislike it, if not worse.

"Plus, I've been through it a couple of times. I kind of know what to expect. He's a rookie in that respect."

It's a small price to pay, however, for the league's best record. And if nothing else, Duncan considers himself blessed for not having had to go through the upheaval the Lakers recently have experienced.

Less than nine months ago, the Lakers eliminated the Spurs from the Western Conference semifinals. With four potential Hall of Famers in Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone and Gary Payton, they appeared primed to win their fourth championship in five years.

Instead, they lost to Detroit in the NBA Finals, triggering the swift and stunning dismantling of their dynasty. Coach Phil Jackson left the team. O'Neal and Payton were traded. Bryant re-signed, then later accused Malone of flirting with his wife.

On Wednesday, less than seven months after being hired to help oversee the reconstruction, Tomjanovich resigned.

"It's a whole new world for those guys," Duncan said. "They start get putting back together with Kobe returning and a new coach, and all of a sudden they implode again. I'm not saying they're destroyed in any way. But when your nucleus, your coaching staff, is kind of taken out from underneath you, it's got to do something to your team.

"I don't envy them, let's put it that way."

TDfan2007
02-03-2005, 01:23 AM
That would suck if Tim doesn't get to play a lot in the All-Star game.

:depressed :depressed :depressed

home handle
02-03-2005, 01:31 AM
im for duncan not playing at all in the all star game. im hoping for kobe to try to break jordan's all star game records while TD kicks back and enjoys from the bench. ive seen duncan in an all star game before. doesnt do much for me.

boutons
02-03-2005, 01:31 AM
So Tim's hip injury sounds more like a hip muscle or ligament injury rather than bone or hip socket.

home handle
02-03-2005, 02:21 AM
he definitely could use the time off come all-star weekend.

TwoHandJam
02-03-2005, 09:04 AM
I think Pop should sit Tim for the Laker game and give him a full week off. We should be able to handle the Kobe-less Lakers without Tim.

GoSpurs21
02-03-2005, 12:32 PM
That would suck if Tim doesn't get to play a lot in the All-Star game.

:depressed :depressed :depressedwhy would it suck? Are you fucking crazy or something. The game means nothing. You know what would really suck, if Tim got injuried in a meaning AS game. NOW THAT WOULD SUCK.

he definitely could use the time off come all-star weekend.To bad even if Tim didnt play in the AS game, he would still have to go to all the stupid functions that accompany it. Why doesnt the NBA do like the NFL and have the meaningless AS game after the Championships?

Rummpd
02-03-2005, 12:53 PM
I agree after his service to country in the Olympics et. al. he should be given the option to sit out one year.

The sad thing is that even surrounded by all those all stars at 80% health he would stand out for his singular effectiveness to help a team. But for the good of all, Pop get the gig and rest him!

myhc
02-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I think Pop should play him 5 minutes, tell him not to shoot, then sit him down for the rest of the game.

Jdspur20
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
"It would be an exceptional time for me, not only physically but, oddly enough, also mentally to just get away from the game," Duncan said. "I've been playing basically for three, four years straight, so it would be great to get away from it for a little bit of time. Just go somewhere where there's no basketball."

this is why i hate the olympics. ducan needs a break, i hope he doesn't play in the allstar game. i say we limit his mins. tonight, just bring him in when there is trouble.