PDA

View Full Version : So I'm thinking about a sportbike.

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 11:25 AM
If I can ever get rid of my Yukon anyways.

I've never rode a motorcycle before, and am getting real antsy to do so. My family is all pissed about it except my dad is all like 'cool dude.' I heard the Ninja250r is the best starter bike to get.

Anyhow what does one do to learn how to ride? I don't own a bike obviously, and in Arkansas you need some kind of certification of course.

Anyone ride? What do you suggest? I'm only worried about the winter and shit icing over occasionally in Arkansas.

thispego
07-08-2008, 11:30 AM
talk to mookie, he's had the same wet dream for like 3 years now

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I'll talk to sane peoples instead!

Taco
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Why not a Scooter :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100494

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Anyways

thispego
07-08-2008, 11:47 AM
I'll talk to sane peoples instead!

good idea

monosylab1k
07-08-2008, 11:49 AM
the only real danger is if anybody throws a burrito out the window of their car and it hits you in the face.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
if you ride, its pretty hard to get insurance also, thats what i read...

and im pretty sure you can find alot of good GIFS of motorbike accidents....

Taco
07-08-2008, 11:54 AM
if you ride, its pretty hard to get insurance also, thats what i read...

and im pretty sure you can find alot of good GIFS of motorbike accidents....

Sportsbike insurance is more expensive than a cruiser

go online and get an insurance quote on a sports bike and cruiser

you'll be surprised

http://www.esurance.com/home/motorcycle.asp

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't understand why cruisers cost so much more.

I can get a Ninja 250r 08 model for 3.5k, yet a Honda vstar or w/e it is goes for triple.

baseline bum
07-08-2008, 12:05 PM
the only real danger is if anybody throws a burrito out the window of their car and it hits you in the face.

:lol

Taco
07-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Driver Handbooks:

Motorcycle (PDF)

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/dl-8.pdf

This is texas handbook

I don't understand why cruisers cost so much more.

I can get a Ninja 250r 08 model for 3.5k, yet a Honda vstar or w/e it is goes for triple.

these would be good cruiser starter bike's

Honda Rebel® (CMX250C)
MSRP $3,199.00*

Yamaha V Star® 250
MSRP $3,599.00*

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda Rebel® (CMX250C)
MSRP $3,199.00*

Yamaha V Star® 250
MSRP $3,599.00*

nvm

Taco
07-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Link?

http://www.alamocycleplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03152429X7K8K2008J12I12 I11JPMQ249R0&veh=53866&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008

http://www.alamocycleplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03152429X7K8K2008J12I12 I11JPMQ249R0&veh=58440&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008

if you are looking for a starter bike i may suggest used because you'll get tired of it right away and want to move up to a bigger bike

BacktoBasics
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
That Yamaha V Star is an excellent starter bike.

Contact your local Harley Davidson shop because most offer a riders course for beginners.

I've lost family members and friends(wasn't their fault so to speak) to bike accidents and I'm certain you've heard the song and dance from your family before about the dangers of riding so I'll save it but please don't be one of those idiotic assfucks who don't wear a helmet. Thats how I lost my uncle in law. He was bumped into oncoming traffic and his head hit the bumper of an oncoming car. Helmet might have saved him because the top of his skull was smashed into his neck effectively decapitating him although it wasn't severed.

You need to remember that its not as easy as enjoying a nice ride. Most places aren't bike friendly and 9 times out of 10 the wreck isn't the bikers fault. You have to constantly survey the area around you for potential disasters because people are so god damn careless and flat out refuse to be respectful and responsible motorists. Learn to ride at a reasonable pace and never hit the brakes hard or run a yellow light, its asking for trouble.

Also be prepared to take an alternate route if you come across those highways or roads that have ribbed pavement. Never ever ever ride on ribbed pavement. Your front wheel will be all over the place hopping from grove to grove. Lost a friend that way. Never underestimate how little of an impact it takes to be gone forever.

Taco
07-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I've lost family members and friends(wasn't their fault so to speak)

I've had my M/C Licence for over 20 years and that seems to be the key on the majority of M/C accidents

I had a lady pull out in front of me who "didn't see me" and totaled my bike :bang

Just be careful and keep looking out for the stupid people not paying attention and you'll be fine :tu

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
I used to race motocross so I'm not scared of bikes but I HATE driving on the street. like B2B said, the majority of fatal bike accidents aren't necessarily the bikers fault but they are just as dead anyway. Had a friend get killed driving under the speed limit on basically an empty highway when a guy that didn't see him pulled right out in front of him and he pretty much cut the truck in half...

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
http://www.alamocycleplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03152429X7K8K2008J12I12 I11JPMQ249R0&veh=53866&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008

http://www.alamocycleplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03152429X7K8K2008J12I12 I11JPMQ249R0&veh=58440&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008

if you are looking for a starter bike i may suggest used because you'll get tired of it right away and want to move up to a bigger bike

Yeah I'd def go used first.

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
That Yamaha V Star is an excellent starter bike.

Contact your local Harley Davidson shop because most offer a riders course for beginners.

I've lost family members and friends(wasn't their fault so to speak) to bike accidents and I'm certain you've heard the song and dance from your family before about the dangers of riding so I'll save it but please don't be one of those idiotic assfucks who don't wear a helmet. Thats how I lost my uncle in law. He was bumped into oncoming traffic and his head hit the bumper of an oncoming car. Helmet might have saved him because the top of his skull was smashed into his neck effectively decapitating him although it wasn't severed.

You need to remember that its not as easy as enjoying a nice ride. Most places aren't bike friendly and 9 times out of 10 the wreck isn't the bikers fault. You have to constantly survey the area around you for potential disasters because people are so god damn careless and flat out refuse to be respectful and responsible motorists. Learn to ride at a reasonable pace and never hit the brakes hard or run a yellow light, its asking for trouble.

Also be prepared to take an alternate route if you come across those highways or roads that have ribbed pavement. Never ever ever ride on ribbed pavement. Your front wheel will be all over the place hopping from grove to grove. Lost a friend that way. Never underestimate how little of an impact it takes to be gone forever.

Way to scare the shit out of me. :)

I don't know what you mean by ribbed pavement.

Is the HD course free? I doubt it, but free is good.

I'm not looking to get a bike to go fast, and be cool. I'm looking at a bike to be my new transportation. Cause of gas prices and our economy. And I'd def wear a helmet. I don't care how dumb it looks, dumb beats dead.

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
All these middle age guys buying big cruisers as their first bike scare the crap out of me...too much bike, too little experience, and too arrogant to ask questions and learn. I have a doctor friend/acquaintance that is just about to buy a Harley and I am confident he will totally fuck himself up within a year.

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
All these middle age guys buying big cruisers as their first bike scare the crap out of me...too much bike, too little experience, and too arrogant to ask questions and learn. I have a doctor friend/acquaintance that is just about to buy a Harley and I am confident he will totally fuck himself up within a year.

Yeah I just want a small 250cc sportbike or cruiser. I can't make up my mind .. at all.

I am trying to get 6k for my 99 Yukon. It's KBB is 6780. I doubt I get even 5k for it. I don't know what to doooo -shoots self-

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah I just want a small 250cc sportbike or cruiser. I can't make up my mind .. at all.

I am trying to get 6k for my 99 Yukon. It's KBB is 6780. I doubt I get even 5k for it. I don't know what to doooo -shoots self-

In this market you will be lucky to get 2K for your Yukon unless it has REALLY low miles. Book is totally out the window. I'm currently trying to buy an '06 King Ranch Expedition (a 60K rig 2 years ago) with 35K miles and we are still about a grand apart...I'm offering $16,250 and he has had it on the market for a month with no better offers than mine...

Taco
07-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Way to scare the shit out of me. :)

I don't know what you mean by ribbed pavement.

Is the HD course free? I doubt it, but free is good.

this place is in texas but it's probably what your gonna pay in your area

http://www.themotorcycleschool.com/html/courses2007.html

Basic Rider Course – $190 Register Now for San Antonio Register Now for Victoria

This course is 15 hours of training. 5 hours of classroom and 10 hours riding. Satisfactorily completing this course will result in the student receiving a certificate, which will have both the Motorcycle Safety Foundation endorsement, and also the Texas Department of Public Safety MSB-8. The TXDPS MSB-8 will entitle the student to a waiver of the riding requirement for a TEXAS motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s license. Students will be provided with a 2006-2007 model motorcycle to ride, a DOT approved helmet, gloves, and all course books. Sign up for the basic course if you haven't had much riding experience or if you've never ridden at all. If you're under 18, you have to take The Basic Rider Course to get a motorcycle driver's license. In the basic course, we teach you how to operate a motorcycle, the best protective clothing to wear, how to avoid dangerous situations and, what's most important, how to get out of those dangerous situations you can't avoid. You learn to make your motorcycle perform like an extension of yourself. And by the end of The Basic Rider Course, we'll be challenging your skills at the two-year rider level.

Prerequisites – Must be able to balance on two-wheels, ie must know how to ride a bicycle.
Requirements – Students must wear over the ankle footwear of sturdy construction with non-skid soles, long pants, long sleeves, and eye protection.
Class size – Minimum 4 Maximum 8

Grooved pavement will grab your two wheel vehicle like a slot car

hold your handle bars and be prepared you'll be fine

http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/mac/mac_road_safety/images/fig4.jpg

Brutalis
07-08-2008, 12:49 PM
In this market you will be lucky to get 2K for your Yukon unless it has REALLY low miles. Book is totally out the window. I'm currently trying to buy an '06 King Ranch Expedition (a 60K rig 2 years ago) with 35K miles and we are still about a grand apart...I'm offering $16,250 and he has had it on the market for a month with no better offers than mine...

I still owe 2k on it...

I'm just a broke kid. This shit isn't right. I'm so pissed at the world I'm ready to just run the fucker in the ditch. I'm low income, and trying to just get rid of it, get a bike, start school and maybe be something one day. But it's like if anything can go wrong it will.

Fuck.

BacktoBasics
07-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't touch ribbed or groved pavement with CC's dick. Just avoid it altogether.

You'll likely get a much more enjoyable and reliable ride out of a cruiser, just sayin. Go jap if you like but those things don't run worth a shit and they won't last too long either. Cheap sportbikes are the dixie cup of the industry. Good for a year or two and then just toss them in the trash.

Just be careful man we just had a guy ripped in half about a mile down from where I work. I've never seen 4 tarps down for just one body. Death is death and all to often people don't realize how final death is. You can't recover from death.

Taco
07-08-2008, 01:14 PM
if i ever get another bike I'd love a Harley but way to rich for my blood

I'll probably get this

http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/NewVehicles/nv59101_6_400.jpg
Kawasaki Vulcan® 900 Classic LT
MSRP $8,649.00*

http://www.alamocycleplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03152429X7K8K2008J12I12 I11JPMQ249R0&veh=59101&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008

boutons_
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Motorcycle riders, esp unhelmeted riders, are excellent sources of body parts, young and healthy.

Sportcamper
BTB- What are you babbling about now….

Japanese motorcycles do not break down or leak oil…The tires will rot before the engines need overhaul….I have a 1973 Honda 90 that has sat for years & starts up in a few kicks….

BacktoBasics
if i ever get another bike I'd love a Harley but way to rich for my blood

I'll probably get this

http://cdn-9.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/NewVehicles/nv59101_6_400.jpg
Kawasaki Vulcan® 900 Classic LT
MSRP $8,649.00*

http://www.alamocycleplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=03152429X7K8K2008J12I12 I11JPMQ249R0&veh=59101&CatDesc=Motorcycles&ModelYear=2008Thats a good choice and way better quality than a Harley

Fillmoe
07-08-2008, 01:42 PM
cop a ducati

BacktoBasics
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
BTB- What are you babbling about now….

Japanese motorcycles do not break down or leak oil…The tires will rot before the engines need overhaul….I have a 1973 Honda 90 that has sat for years & starts up in a few kicks….Once get passed about 8k dollars I think the product in general is solid. The stuff they pop out for a 2-3k is total garbage. Just my opinion.

Heath Ledger
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Even good experienced riders die all the time, i would think more seriously about this, if you dont at the least take some safety courses you are fucked. This coming from someone who's owned 5 or 6 motorcycles in my day. If you want to practice find someone who owns a dirtbike and put in lots of hours of riding.

phyzik
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
What Heath Ledger said....

Its not so much the rider or the bike that are dangerous... its all of the other drivers on the road who are oblivious to the bike rider thats dangerous.

Also, why just a 250? because you think its safer or because its cheaper? I garuntee you what Taco said about getting a used bike is true... he's not saying to get a used 250 because you will drop it or damage it. He's saying to get a used bike with a bigger motor because you WILL want something bigger then a 250.