PDA

View Full Version : Oil billionaire Pickens puts his money on wind power

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Oil billionaire Pickens puts his money on wind power

(CNN) -- Billionaire oilman T. Boone Pickens is putting his clout behind renewable energy sources like wind power.

The legendary entrepreneur and philanthropist on Tuesday unveiled a new energy plan he says will decrease the United States' dependency on foreign oil by more than one-third and help shift American energy production toward renewable natural resources.

"The Pickens Plan" calls for investing in domestic renewable resources such as wind, and switching from oil to natural gas as a transportation fuel.

In a news conference outlining his proposal, Pickens said his impetus for the plan is the country's dangerous reliance on foreign oil.

"Our dependence on imported oil is killing our economy. It is the single biggest problem facing America today," he said. Watch Pickens discuss plan for wind power »

"Wind power is ... clean, it's renewable. It's everything you want. And it's a stable supply of energy," Pickens told CNN in May. "It's unbelievable that we have not done more with wind."

Pickens' company, Mesa Power, recently announced a $2 billion investment as the first step in a multibillion-dollar plan to build the world's largest wind farm in Pampa, Texas.

Pickens said Tuesday that if the United States takes advantage of the so-called "wind corridor," stretching from the Canadian border to West Texas, energy from wind turbines built there could supply 20 percent or more of the nation's power. He suggested the project could be funded by private investors.

Power from thousands of wind turbines that would line the corridor could be distributed throughout the country via electric power transmission lines and could fuel power plants in large population hubs, the oil baron said.

Fueling these plants with wind power would then free up the natural gas historically used to power them, and would mean that natural gas could replace foreign oil as fuel for motor vehicles, he said.

Using natural gas for transportation needs could replace one-third of the United States' imported oil and would save more than $230 billion a year, Pickens said.

"We are going to have to do something different in America," Pickens told CNN. "You can't keep paying out $600 billion a year for oil."

His energy plan could be implemented within 10 years if both Congress and the White House treat the current energy situation as a "national emergency and take immediate action," he predicted.

Pickens, a lifelong Republican, says he is not advising either presidential candidate, but is prepared to work with the next president.

The Web site for the plan urges people to sign up and help spread the word.

Oil analyst Peter Beutel of Cameron Hanover, an energy risk manager, said Pickens' plan could definitely reduce the country's dependency on foreign oil.

"The best thing about it is that it's a definite plan -- it's not something that either party has pitted itself outrightly against. It therefore has a tremendous chance for success on Capitol Hill."

Analyst Fadel Gheit of Oppenheimer & Co. Inc., an investment firm, added that such a plan "has been on the drawing board for years."

At least 21 states and the District of Columbia have set deadlines or goals for utilities to obtain electricity from clean, renewable sources instead of fossil fuel-burning plants. See where states stand on renewable resources »

The scramble has triggered construction of large-scale wind farms throughout much of the nation, including proposals for the first U.S. offshore facilities.

Delaware and Galveston, Texas, have offshore projects in the works, although a farm proposed off New York's Long Island was shelved this year because of high projected construction costs.

In Massachusetts, where utilities are under the gun to obtain four percent of electricity from renewables by 2009, builders await federal approval of a hugely controversial wind farm off historic Cape Cod.

The Cape Wind project envisions 130 wind turbines each rising 440 feet above Nantucket Sound by 2011. State officials said the farm will eliminate pollution equal to 175,000 gas-burning cars.

CNN's Emily Anderson and Thom Patterson contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/07/08/pickens.plan/index.html

JoeChalupa
07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I saw his ad. :tu Relying on oil blows.

xrayzebra
07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Only because he wants you money. He knows oil is where the future is. Pickens also wants to sell you water. He will feed you all the crap that will line his coffers. He is no dummy, he plays on the MSM story line. Obviously you buy into it too..

www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/green/chi-t-boone-pickens-plan-080708-ht,0,3211333.story
chicagotribune.com
Hot Topics
T. Boone Pickens buys water rights in Texas

Tribune wire reports

Tribune staff reporter

8:02 AM CDT, July 8, 2008

Battles over water rights for survival and economic growth were dramatically depicted in the films " Chinatown" about Los Angeles and "The Milagro Beanfield War" about the American Southwest.

The present-day story unfolding over water's future may offer opportunities for investors able to envision it as a valuable commodity that benefits companies involved in its sale, distribution, purification and infrastructure.

Corporate raider and oilman T. Boone Pickens has been buying up water rights in the Texas Panhandle in the belief that water is going to become scarce and salable. This follows the logic that climate change, shrinking lakes and rivers and population growth will make increasing portions of the world susceptible to water shortages.

With that in mind, governments and companies around the world are beginning to take steps to deal more effectively with the issue of water. The number of ways to invest in water-related companies has increased.

Most mutual funds and exchange-traded funds specializing in the sector have been, at best, flat performers over the past year. That's more than you can say for many other investments, yet there is no escaping the fact that investing is an endeavor that requires considerable patience. "While water is the most crucial element of our lives, it has historically been cheap, and we pay little attention to things that don't cost any money," said Neil Berlant, portfolio manager of the $19 million PFW Water Fund in Los Angeles. "Water has been largely neglected from a business and investment standpoint, but that is changing because the price of water is rising."

His fund invests in a wide range of industries related to water.

Among its largest holdings are water utilities Consolidated Water Co. and Southwest Water Co.; Watts Water Technologies Inc., a manufacturer of products for controlling water quality and efficiency; Mueller Water Products Inc., a maker of water-flow-control products; and Cantel Medical Corp., which offers products and services in water treatment.

"There is really a long-term horizon for what is unfolding in the water industry, not a short-term story," Berlant said. "But I don't see anything high risk or high speculation in my portfolio, because I invest in growth companies with above-average prospects."

Food products that come from agriculture require irrigation and drinking water for livestock. Quality water is used in manufacturing, power generation and medical applications. Emerging markets, especially China, are putting greater demands on the water supply.

Another mutual fund, the $25 million Kinetics Water Infrastructure Fund, down 2 percent this year, includes in its stock portfolio France's Veolia Environnement SA, a giant water-treatment and waste-treatment company. The fund's recent report to shareholders noted that global spending on water continues to grow at a 5 percent to 6 percent annual rate, with further infrastructure upgrades on the horizon.

"People don't consider water a sexy industry, but it has potential for investors looking for a steady growth group," said Stewart Scharf, equity analyst with Standard & Poor's Corp. in New York. "Water is needed for agriculture, manufacturing and drinking, and awareness has been heightened by natural disasters such as tsunamis, cyclones and earthquakes."

Only about 3 percent of the world's water supply is drinkable, and much of that is in the ground or in ice, Scharf said. That is making methods of rendering undrinkable water potable, such as desalination, more popular. In addition, many of the pipes used to deliver water are old and decaying. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates $277 billion will be needed to be spent to upgrade U.S. water systems over the next 20 years, he added.

Scharf has "buy" ratings on shares of water-filtration companies Pentair Inc. and Pall Corp.

"Water investments are a way for individual investors to hedge and diversify their portfolios, perhaps investing 3 percent to 5 percent of their holdings with a long-term horizon," said Tom Lydon, editor of ETFtrends.com in Newport Beach, Calif.

"What's considered a water company is not as purely focused as many people think, since it could include related things such as the technology that goes into the water supply."

With the primary growth of water-related investments currently in ETFs, Lydon points to:

-- The $2.4 billion PowerShares Water Resources fund, which tracks the Palisades water index of companies in water treatment, water utilities and pipe and pump manufacturing. It is up 1 percent over the past 12 months.

-- The $386 million Claymore S&P Global Water fund, which tracks the S&P global water index of water utilities, infrastructure and equipment. It is down 7 percent over the past year.

-- The $34 million First Trust ISE Water fund, which tracks the ISE water index of companies that derive a substantial portion of revenue from the water and wastewater industries. It is up 2 percent over 12 months.

Andrew Leckey is a Tribune Media Services columnist. E-mail him at [email protected].

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune

Viva Las Espuelas
07-08-2008, 02:23 PM
i can power my apartment with the wind energy i produce while i'm asleep.

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Only because he wants you money. He knows oil is where the future is. Pickens also wants to sell you water. He will feed you all the crap that will line his coffers. He is no dummy, he plays on the MSM story line. Obviously you buy into it too..

What?

Dude, what the fuck?

peewee's lovechild
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
i can power my apartment with the wind energy i produce while i'm asleep.

Fortunately for you, you're full of hot air.

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2008, 10:58 PM
tornadoes looms

T Park
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Hes a billionaire for reason.

Hes not doing this because hes all of a sudden Mr Green Jeans.

exstatic
07-09-2008, 03:25 AM

What? Are you keeping his appointment calendar now? How the F do you know what his reasoning is? Warren Buffet is a billionaire for a reason, too. Does he have a profit motive for his plan to give away ALL of his money through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and the foundations of his late wife and children over the next few years?

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM

I don't happen to give a shit if he's in it for the money.

Renewable energy is the only way to get out of the Middle East oil choke-hold.

If he makes money out of it, so be it.

leemajors
07-09-2008, 08:47 AM
weird. one would like to see a switch from oil to some alternative fuel, not just natural gas as a primary fuel source. oh well. i imagine he has quite a stake in natural gas, as a guess.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Fortunately for you, you're full of hot air.this coming from a dude that joined this board 2 years after i did and has 3 times as much posts as i do.

RandomGuy
07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
One thing that Mr. Pickens fails to mention, is the role that solar will play.

Electricity usage has a "peak" during the day, when it is hot, and everybody is at work.

Peak power=natural gas power plants

Wind power can replace natural gas plants during peaks, but solar produces power at maximum when the electricity usage "peaks" are at their highest.

A combination of wind and solar can go pretty far in producing electricity, expecially when distributed over a large area.

The current problem is that coal and gas are still cheaper per unit of electricity than wind and solar generally are.

That will change over time, as coal and gas become more expensive, and economies of scale drive the costs of wind and solar down, relatively.

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
this coming from a dude that joined this board 2 years after i did and has 3 times as much posts as i do.

What's that clever thing you always post:

Pete and repeat go somewhere . . . .

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
OK, so wind generators convert atmospheric energy into electricity. Whats the long term effect of robbing all this energy from the atmosphere? Global warming and climate change maybe?

tlongII
07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
What we need is more nuclear power plants.

midgetonadonkey
07-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Nigerians on a gerbil wheel is the only way to go.

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM

X2

They need to come up with ONE "master" plant plan that they agree is "safe" and then duplicate that X50 across the country.

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
OK, so wind generators convert atmospheric energy into electricity. Whats the long term effect of robbing all this energy from the atmosphere? Global warming and climate change maybe?

Uhhhh, yea.

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM

That may be the only choice for now.

Cold fusion technology needs to be pused by the government.

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Nigerians on a gerbil wheel is the only way to go.

I would've gone with the Sudanese, but Nigerians will be sufficient.

Anti.Hero
07-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Pls keep all computers away from said gerbil wheels.

07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
All we need to power our country is sitting there right in front of us. We only need to harness the energy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/00686/cow-gas-tank-404_686141c.jpg

Clandestino
07-09-2008, 07:17 PM
solar sucks ass. it is so fucking expensive, you'll never make your money back.

leemajors
07-09-2008, 08:55 PM
That may be the only choice for now.

Cold fusion technology needs to be pused by the government.

cold fusion as described by Elizabeth Shue in the Saint?

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 09:30 PM
uMFvzohuVew

peewee's lovechild
07-09-2008, 09:33 PM
oLUeGX3hNpU