PDA

View Full Version : So I am thinking about getting a hand gun

Bob Schneider
07-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I wanted to get one for the longest time and after seeing 2 attempted break ins here in my neighborhood over the past month, I think now is the right time. Looking for something relatively small and easy to handle. Who here owns one? Any suggestions and/or info on getting a liscense?

07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
I've always been partial to the Kimber line. (http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ultracarry/)

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 02:08 PM
If you are getting something for home self defense, get a shotgun. Lethal at close range, more forgiving accuracy wise in the stress of a break in, and you don't have to worry about killing the next door neighbor after shooting through your wall into their house.

BacktoBasics
07-08-2008, 02:18 PM
If you are getting something for home self defense, get a shotgun. Lethal at close range, more forgiving accuracy wise in the stress of a break in, and you don't have to worry about killing the next door neighbor after shooting through your wall into their house.Agreed!

Taco
07-08-2008, 02:25 PM
If you are getting something for home self defense, get a shotgun. .

I remember when Service Merchandise (when there was a Service Merchandise) had advertised a "Snake Charmer" 20 ga camo pistol grip shotgun with holster :wow

leemajors
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
If you are getting something for home self defense, get a shotgun. Lethal at close range, more forgiving accuracy wise in the stress of a break in, and you don't have to worry about killing the next door neighbor after shooting through your wall into their house.

The stock can break bones too!

Heath Ledger
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
If you are going to go with a Pistol dont go for anything less than a 9mm but a 40 cal would be ideal for stopping party. H&K USP 40 is one bad mofo. If you have a 9 make sure you have hollow point rounds. I love my little Kel Tec 9mm.

monosylab1k
07-08-2008, 02:38 PM
find yourself one of these on the black market.

lsXMb0GtS44

N.Y. Johnny
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Best advice and 100%

If you want it for home defense then shotguns are the way to go, don't bother with a pistol.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Which is the best gun for shooting a jew?

Heath Ledger
07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Shotguns are a bit messy, if your a bad shot get a pistol with laser pointer and call it a day.

JoeChalupa
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking about getting a hand gun to protect my gas.

J.T.
07-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm thinking about getting one and using it on myself after all the people talking shit to me in that other thread.

inb4 they all come in here and act like experts on suicide too!

JoeChalupa
07-08-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm thinking about getting one and using it on myself after all the people talking shit to me in that other thread.

Just stay away from your friends!!!

N.Y. Johnny
07-08-2008, 03:23 PM

they tried to steal your gas already Joe?
:wow

DannyT
07-08-2008, 03:44 PM
sorry about that Joe I didnt know that was your Lawn Mower...

DannyT
07-08-2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

MannyIsGod
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
find yourself one of these on the black market.

lsXMb0GtS44

Straight out of the matrix!

MannyIsGod
07-08-2008, 03:51 PM

You're the biggest fucking baby I've seen in awhile. Fucking drama queen. And posting shit like this is just going to egg it on.

johnsmith
07-08-2008, 04:05 PM
You're the biggest fucking baby I've seen in awhile. Fucking drama queen. And posting shit like this is just going to egg it on.

I don't know, if I had to decide between acting like a baby on the internet and looking like a monkey..............I'd go with the baby thing.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't know, if I had to decide between acting like a baby on the internet and looking like a monkey..............I'd go with the baby thing.

I'm kinda stuck with my face so I guess I'll just go with not being a bitch.

BacktoBasics
07-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Fucking drama queen.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/yorky_2006/pot-kettle-black.jpg

Chief
07-08-2008, 05:00 PM

i dn't know much about guns, why would a shotgun blast not go through the wall of your neighbors ?

Ronaldo McDonald
07-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Which is the best gun for shooting a jew?

http://www.bearsmart.com/images/supersoaker.jpg

mrspurs
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
it isnt the gun you need look for.....its the bullet, and the guts to use it....

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 06:20 PM
i dn't know much about guns, why would a shotgun blast not go through the wall of your neighbors ?

a shotgun shoots a bunch of small pellets instead of one heavy bullet...they might go through the wall but wouldn't be carrying lethal kinetic energy at that point...where a bullet can go through several sheet rocked walls if it doesn't hit a wood stud and still kill someone.

The absolute best shotgun for home defense would be a pump shotgun...Every burglar in the world know that *rack*rack* sound as you chamber a shell and you don't have to say a word...99% of the time they will just shit all over themselves and whimper "please don't shoot!"

If they don't you just waste em.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 06:20 PM

If you shoot a slug you do but it's not typically as big a concern with buckshot.

It's more of a concern with hand guns that have a high velocity round.

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Lets put it this way...

When a cop REALLY thinks he's about to get into the shit his first stop is his trunk for the shotgun...

And THEY have to practice with their pistols as a requirement of their job and are proficient with them.

do what the pros do.

07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
do what the pros do.

http://www.specialoperations.com/USMC/Recon/1_3b.jpg

Yea, but these are kinda hard to come by...

CosmicCowboy
07-08-2008, 06:39 PM
http://www.specialoperations.com/USMC/Recon/1_3b.jpg

Yea, but these are kinda hard to come by...

LOL

Thats what you and I would do but these are amateurs we are advising.

The KISS rule.

Keep It Simple Stupid.

A subsonic suppressed HK91 might be a little much.

debo
07-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Looking for something relatively small and easy to handle.

i have what you're looking for:depressed

Bandit2981
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
It really depends on what you are comfortable handling. A shotgun is nice, but try to stay away from the 12 gauge. A 20 gauge will do the same job but with about 40-50% less recoil and is easier to handle because it is not as heavy as a 12. A revolver like a .38 is also good, for something light, small, easy to handle, dummy proof, and will never jam on you. As for pistols, a 9mm should be plenty of firepower and most hold around 10 rounds and can be fired off very quickly in succession. If you are worried about wall penetration of a wayward bullet, buy some MagSafe or Glaser Safety Slug ammunition, it is pre-fragmented and will not overpenetrate through walls or doors, but will be devestating if it hits flesh. Load your clip with hollowpoints and top it off with 2 of the pre-fragmented type, and you should be set.

Clandestino
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
set up some mines around your house.

PM5K
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Good call, there is also no ballistics tests for shotguns that I am aware of...

0201rinckwater
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
http://www.armsbid.com/8webpix/100.jpg

I think it was a trick question

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:39 PM
It really depends on what you are comfortable handling. A shotgun is nice, but try to stay away from the 12 gauge. A 20 gauge will do the same job but with about 40-50% less recoil and is easier to handle because it is not as heavy as a 12. A revolver like a .38 is also good, for something light, small, easy to handle, dummy proof, and will never jam on you. As for pistols, a 9mm should be plenty of firepower and most hold around 10 rounds and can be fired off very quickly in succession. If you are worried about wall penetration of a wayward bullet, buy some MagSafe or Glaser Safety Slug ammunition, it is pre-fragmented and will not overpenetrate through walls or doors, but will be devestating if it hits flesh. Load your clip with hollowpoints and top it off with 2 of the pre-fragmented type, and you should be set.

I'm sorry, but a 9 MM isn't really a great idea for home defense. Go with at least something starting with .4... either a .40 S&W or .45. Could get away with .357 as well.

9 MM isn't near as lethal unless you bring multiple rounds on target.

Anyway, the best option's still the tried and true pump action shot gun.

Oh, and whatever you get, go practice with it somewhere. Hit the range and shoot at least once a month. If you get the shot gun then take a shot gun defense class, they will teach you all about shooting in your home and also how to properly use the stock as a close quarters weapon.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I hadn't really considered a shotgun before reading this thread but that makes a lot of sense.

The only gun I have is a little .22 handgun that I keep in my desk drawer at my office for shooting at flies and such.

07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
If you get the shot gun then take a shot gun defense class, they will teach you all about shooting in your home and also how to properly use the stock as a close quarters weapon.

If it came to that after taking the class, I'd ask for my money back.

cant w8 4 2012
07-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Go to -A place to shoot- and -dury's gun shop- both on the southside.they will treat you well,especially dury's:toast

to21
07-09-2008, 01:48 PM
I have a shotgun and a handgun. I'd reach for the handgun every time. As far as it being with a 9mm or a 40 cal......it don't matter, break into my house, I'll put you down with either.

Don't get me wrong a shotgun can be your friend. But what if you have to spray the guy while he's standing in the door way leading to ur kids bedroom?

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I have a shotgun and a handgun. I'd reach for the handgun every time. As far as it being with a 9mm or a 40 cal......it don't matter, break into my house, I'll put you down with either.

Don't get me wrong a shotgun can be your friend. But what if you have to spray the guy while he's standing in the door way leading to ur kids bedroom?

Dang, how long is your hallway? At 20' the pattern will only be about 6". I'd rather take a chance on the child getting hit with a stray pellet than a stray bullet...

to21
07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Dang, how long is your hallway? At 20' the pattern will only be about 6". I'd rather take a chance on the child getting hit with a stray pellet than a stray bullet...Your point about a stray bullet is valid.

For home defense, I'd go with both a shotgun and handgun (IMO).

Joe Horn
07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/GMA/abc_gma_911call2_071117_ms.jpg

Another vote for a shotgun

My ol' scattergun just killed the shit out of those two punks robbin my neighbors house.

N.Y. Johnny
07-09-2008, 04:15 PM
http://a.abcnews.com/images/GMA/abc_gma_911call2_071117_ms.jpg

Another vote for a shotgun

My ol' scattergun just killed the shit out of those two punks robbin my neighbors house.

Nice Shooting! :tu

Sportcamper
07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
I am a firm believer in negative energy…Hand guns give off negative vibes…Therefore guns have a negative effect on health, wealth, personal relationships and spiritual awareness…. Fill your home with only good things... feng shui harmony, quartz crystals, aromatic biotic materials, Patchouli, Camphor, Saffron and Couch Grass…

Believe me; the word will soon be out that you are just too darn weird to rob…

baseline bum
07-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry, but a 9 MM isn't really a great idea for home defense. Go with at least something starting with .4... either a .40 S&W or .45. Could get away with .357 as well.

9 MM isn't near as lethal unless you bring multiple rounds on target.

Hollow point

CosmicCowboy
07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I love it when people start dissing the 9's, .357's etc. and saying you gotta shoot one of those wrist breaker +P/magnum rounds.

Any volunteers to take a double tap from a 9 and THEN tell me it's not enough gun?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I love it when people start dissing the 9's, .357's etc. and saying you gotta shoot one of those wrist breaker +P/magnum rounds.

Any volunteers to take a double tap from a 9 and THEN tell me it's not enough gun?

Every time I shoot a fly with my .22 I don't hear much complaining afterwards.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2008, 05:52 PM
If it came to that after taking the class, I'd ask for my money back.

Well, the idea is that if he closes quarters too fast or comes around the corner and you don't have time to level your gun, you can still jack him with the butt end of the rifle (basically, pistol whipping him but with a bigger gun).

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Hollow point

Agreed, if you get a 9 you should have hollow point for self defense/home defense rounds.

As to those getting their panties in a wad about the lethality of a 9 mm vs. a 40 or higher, so be it. Police studies have shown that the .357, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP and GAP rounds are more lethal than 9 MMs. You're more likely to put a bad guy down with one round from any of those weapons than a 9 MM.

Double tap is nice, but what if you only get one shot? You're simply bringing more to mass with any of those rounds than a 9 MM.

But still, it should be shot gun first.

Shot gun > .357 > .45 > .40 S&W > 9 MM.

JoeChalupa
07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
I hadn't really considered a shotgun before reading this thread but that makes a lot of sense.

The only gun I have is a little .22 handgun that I keep in my desk drawer at my office for shooting at flies and such.

Me too. I figured it'd be harder to handle than a handgun. As much as I've thought about I always decide against it.

Heath Ledger
07-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I already posted that a .40 cal would be ideal over a 9mm there einstein. Read the thread. Many people have lived while taking mutliple 9mm gunshot wounds, just ask 50 cent. Where as a 40 cal will typically stop that mofo with one or two shots.

sabar
07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Replace the grip with a grenade launcher

http://i.pbase.com/u9/flamebo/large/13859323.DSCN0436.jpg

On a serious note, shotguns don't have as much spread as the movies would like you to believe they do. Just get a home alarm and cancel the service and keep all their stickers and "home protected by:" signs on your lawn. Maybe some plastic security cameras.

leemajors
07-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Replace the grip with a grenade launcher

http://i.pbase.com/u9/flamebo/large/13859323.DSCN0436.jpg

On a serious note, shotguns don't have as much spread as the movies would like you to believe they do. Just get a home alarm and cancel the service and keep all their stickers and "home protected by:" signs on your lawn. Maybe some plastic security cameras.

depends on the shotgun and the barrel/choke on it. police barrels spread.

BRHornet45
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM

exactly son. go with the shotgun. it is guaranteed to kill someone if they break into your house.

BigZak
07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
have any of you even considered actually talking to the intruder...setting him on the right path...

http://www.geocities.com/cbc1865/purpose.jpg

Sportcamper
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
When the police hear a prowler…They call Big Zak….

RandomGuy
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM

You can damn well bet I am going to siphon every last bit of gasoline out of my crappy old truck when I trade it in. That thing will roll into the dealer's lot on fumes and momentum.

F***ing thing broke down on me the other day right after I spent $72 bucks filling the thing up, and I was thinking it might have to be scrapped with a full tank of gas. It seems to be running now, but I went out and bought a siphoning kit, just in case.

RandomGuy
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
a shotgun shoots a bunch of small pellets instead of one heavy bullet...they might go through the wall but wouldn't be carrying lethal kinetic energy at that point...where a bullet can go through several sheet rocked walls if it doesn't hit a wood stud and still kill someone.

The absolute best shotgun for home defense would be a pump shotgun...Every burglar in the world know that *rack*rack* sound as you chamber a shell and you don't have to say a word...99% of the time they will just shit all over themselves and whimper "please don't shoot!"

If they don't you just waste em.

Yuppers. Shotguns for home defense, a nice pistol for traveling.