PDA

View Full Version : Magic To Sign Pietrus

ducks
07-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Magic to sign contract with Pietrus
BY JOHN DENTON

ORLANDO — The Orlando Magic have reached a verbal agreement with shooting guard Mickael Pietrus and expect to sign him to a multi-year contract today, general manager Otis Smith confirmed to FLORIDA TODAY.
Advertisement

Pietrus, a 6-foot-6, 200-pound shooting guard, is expected to earn almost all of the Mid-Level Exception, starting at 5.2 million next season. Pietrus, a native of Les Abymes, Guadeloupe, France, played all five of his NBA seasons with the Golden State Warriors.

The signing of Pietrus ends the Magic’s chase of free-agent shooting guard Corey Maggette and could end their chances of retaining combo guard Keyon Dooling.

Pietrus is especially appealing to the Magic because of his ability to defend. He is a strong defender with a long wingspan, traits that appealed to Smith. Smith, who used to work with the Golden State Warriors, is quite familiar with Pietrus’ toughness and defensive grit.

Smith said the Magic needed to upgrade their shooting guard position in order to make a dramatic improvement next season. He is expected to be the opening day starter at shooting guard.

``In the Eastern Conference you had better be able to defend that position. We think he can really help us do that. And he can shoot the 3.’’

The signing also means that last season’s starting shooting guard, Maurice Evans, likely won’t return.

Pietrus fell out of favor in Golden State last season under coach Don Nelson, averaging 7.2 points and 3.7 rebounds. He shot 44 percent from the field and 35.3 percent from the 3-point line. He’s averaged 8.6 points and 3.4 rebounds in five NBA seasons.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/SPORTS/80708058/1002/SPORTS

thekingrobert
07-08-2008, 05:24 PM
one less team to worry about if true

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
there goes our fall-back

Bruno
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
More than $5M for Pietrus ? :rollin
Some GMs likes to badly overpay free agents.

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Hmmm. This is both good and bad for the Spurs. Good because it sounded like Maggette really had some interest in going back home to Orlando. Bad because Pietrus looked like the most attainable fallback option.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into Maggette or bust for the Spurs because I still put the Spurs' chances of landing Maggette at about 25%.

Bartleby
07-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Considering how much they paid to sign Rashard Lewis, this isn't too surprising.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm glad we didn't sign him for that much money.

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
More than $5M for Pietrus ? :rollin
Some GMs likes to badly overpay free agents.What contract did he get?

This market is going to be sick. I think Delfino is going to get near MLE money as well. And now Delfino looks like the most attainable fallback option.

:depressed

SPURSGOAT
07-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Hmmm. This is both good and bad for the Spurs. Good because it sounded like Maggette really had some interest in going back home to Orlando. Bad because Pietrus looked like the most attainable fallback option.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into Maggette or bust for the Spurs because I still put the Spurs' chances of landing Maggette at about 25%.

I agree... I considered Pietrus our Plan B or C... this kind of sux... Orlando didn't feel like playing the waiting game. I guess we just have to worry about GSW, 76ers, and Boston....

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 05:30 PM

25%

id say around 50%.

what other team could possibly be ahead of the spurs at this moment?

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
25%

id say around 50%.

what other team could possibly be ahead of the spurs at this moment?Follow the cap space.

benefactor
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Considering how much they paid to sign Rashard Lewis, this isn't too surprising.
Seconded...there was no way he was getting that from us, so he probably would not have been headed our way anyway. C'mon Corey...lets do this.

Spurs Brazil
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
What contract did he get?

This market is going to be sick. I think Delfino is going to get near MLE money as well. And now Delfino looks like the most attainable fallback option.

That's why I'd go with R.Davis as plan C.

If Maggette doesn't work out, try to get a RFA, Azabuike or JR, and then Davis.

I prefer to gamble on Davis rather than overpay Delfino

xtremesteven33
Follow the cap space.

yes, but these teams havent shown any serious interest into maggette at this moment. they have no need for a SF/SG at this moment.
(76ers,Warriors)

Rev Hill
I think the other bad factor this continues to bring into the picture, as others have mentioned before, is more weight to the "ego factor". Maggette clearly knows he is worth more than those grabbing MLE's or close to it, so though he may want to or feel drawn to take the MLE from a contender/quality organization, such as the Spurs, or even the Celtics, his ego may demand a larger paycheck than those teams can afford, simply because of others cashing in on the market.

Money and ego.....two huge factors in today's sports.

Should be an interesting next few days. I hope Corey surprises alot of us....and backs up his statements about "wanting to win".

jack sommerset
07-08-2008, 05:35 PM
A team we have not heard of yet interested can trade away players to clear money to sign Maggette.

benefactor
07-08-2008, 05:37 PM
That's why I'd go with R.Davis as plan C.

If Maggette doesn't work out, try to get a RFA, Azabuike or JR, and then Davis.

I prefer to gamble on Davis rather than overpay Delfino
Davis...ugh. I get nauseated thinking about his name and my team in the same sentence.

thekingrobert
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I live in Miami and have seen a lot of Davis we don't want him trust me

Kindergarten Cop

25% is still a tremendous improvement from the 0.0000000001% chance that you had us in just a week ago. ;) Now if we can get you to go up a bit more before tomorrow, I'd be much happier.:toast

timvp
yes, but these teams havent shown any serious interest into maggette at this moment. they have no need for a SF/SG at this moment.
(76ers,Warriors)Money > Serious Interest.

And yeah, those teams could use him. The Warriors tried to trade for him last year and the Sixers started Willie F'ing Green all year at SG.

ducks
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
marion to sixers?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM

Now let's not get depressed just yet. There's still Posey, JR Smith, and Kelenna Azubuike if Maggette falls through.

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
lol...the spurs are weak.

picnroll
07-08-2008, 05:46 PM
The guys that are not in the running for Philly or GS's cap space, only MLE money, are going to start settling in. Posey next.

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Money > Serious Interest.

And yeah, those teams could use him. The Warriors tried to trade for him last year and the Sixers started Willie F'ing Green all year at SG.

warriors need a PG or PF

76ers need a PF

no NEED for a SF of maggettes caliber. doesnt make any sense

Big P
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM
lol...the spurs are weak.

lol..so are your posts

dastrey
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
And now Delfino looks like the most attainable fallback option.

If I had to bet money I think Delfino will be a Spur. I think there is about a 1/3 chance of landing Magette. If CM goes to Golden State that opens up the possibility of stealing Azubuike, otherwise we have no shot at him.

Bruno
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Spurs' chances to get Maggette with highly depend on what happens with Brand. There are more and more reports saying that Brand is leaning towards Sixers. If Brand doesn't re-sign with Clippers, Spurs chances to get Maggette are almost null.

Spurs1234
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
hopefully CM makes his mind up either way by tomorrow cause if the spurs dont get him, they are going to miss out on alot of guys that could have helped the team. I still think getting CM is totally contingent on what the teams with cap money do, which means its totally out of their control. if the spurs end up with delfino for the MLE, its going to be a meltdown at spurstalk, and while I am not one to join in on meltdowns, I think I might join that one. the big three need a turbo boost type of player to help out, they need that bad.

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
warriors need a PG or PF

76ers need a PF

no NEED for a SF of maggettes caliber. doesnt make any senseWarriors PG = Monta Ellis. The Warriors play small ball so a real PF isn't needed. Maggette can play PF for them.

76ers have Thaddeus Young at PF and Willie Green at SG. Young > Green.

SPURSGOAT
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I wonder if gette doesn't decide by tomorrow if the Spurs will still wait...guess depends on if Brand does anything tomorrow...

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Warriors PG = Monta Ellis. The Warriors play small ball so a real PF isn't needed. Maggette can play PF for them.

76ers have Thaddeus Young at PF and Willie Green at SG. Young > Green.

haha you mean to tell me the warriors FO is content with ELLIS as thier main PG??

they need a pure point guard, ellis is a SG.

76ers are in desperate need of a PF, and its obvious TIMVP, thats why theyre chasing Josh Smith and Elton Brand

mrspurs
07-08-2008, 05:54 PM
lets be honest its just verbal...but if its so, then who cares, rumor was, a few in here wanted to sign pietrus.....im happy he aint here...he isnt no good, great wing span, great defense....(look who he plays for), you cant say (defense from golden state), it just doesnt make sense...now that he is hopefully (verbally) off our list...im a bit more hopeful regardless of whom goes where next...

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:54 PM
haha you mean to tell me the warriors FO is content with ELLIS as thier main PG??

they need a pure point guard, ellis is a SG.

76ers are in desperate need of a PF, and its obvious TIMVP, thats why theyre chasing Josh Smith and Elton BrandEllises can do anything. Josh Smith is a small forward.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Ellises can do anything.

:lol

SPURSGOAT
07-08-2008, 05:55 PM
So I guess at midnight tonight there might be a lot of activity since teams can sign players.

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Ellises can do anything. Josh Smith is a small forward.

Josh Smith is too long for a SF and too small for a PF....he can play both though

Ellis is not a good PG i dont care what anyone says....hes a SG

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
The guys that are not in the running for Philly or GS's cap space, only MLE money, are going to start settling in. Posey next.I think Posey has to wait to see what happens to Maggette, who has to see what happens with Brand.

Brand is the next big domino.

xtremesteven33
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I think Brand stays with LA.

they have put in too much to make Davis come to LA. plus they are good friends and Brand has a reputation of being a loyal person.

timvp
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Josh Smith is too long for a SF and too small for a PF....he can play both though

Ellis is not a good PG i dont care what anyone says....hes a SGHow can a player be too long for SF? Longer = Better.

Nellie himself said Ellis is the team's point guard of the future.

Big P
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Uhh ohh..

Clippers Renounce Brand To Get Davis?

According to a report in the L.A. Times, in order for the Clippers to sign Baron Davis to the agreed contract, the team had to renounce their bird rights to Elton Brand, ruling out the possibility of a sign and trade and also restricting the Clippers to the maximum five contract years that the Sixers and Warriors are also binded to.

With bird rights the Clippers could have offered Brand a six year deal.

The Clippers still desperately want to keep their former All-Star power forward, but can offer at most a 5 year, $70 million contract, according to the article.

The Sixers are believed to be preparing an offer which will push the value up to around $80 million, while it is believed that the Warriors have offered a contract close to $90 million for the same number of years.

A decision on Brand's future is expected to come soon.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53450/20080708/clippers_renounce_brand_to_get_davis/

picnroll
I think Posey has to wait to see what happens to Maggette, who has to see what happens with Brand.

Brand is the next big domino.

If Posey can get more than MLE I'll be struck by lightning. For Posey it'll be MLE and years and team in that order I bet. I'll bet it's NO.

thekingrobert
How can a player be too long for SF? Longer = Better.

Nellie himself said Ellis is the team's point guard of the future.

bold statement when i dont think nellie is even the coach of the future

SequSpur
Spurs got nothing. Again.

Do some of you know it alls want to explain that?

ChumpDumper
07-08-2008, 06:04 PM
You wanted Pietrus?

ducks
Spurs got nothing. Again.

Do some of you know it alls want to explain that?

this guy sucks

thekingrobert
i want CM, JR and Herrmann so we still have a chance at two those guys cause no way in hell we get all three

rj215
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
he's a defensive player that can shoot threes. doesn't udoka do the same thing with a year under our system?

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:05 PM
You wanted Pietrus?

sure why not.... the chips are falling else where chumpdump... again, rehash, seen the end of this story before.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2008, 06:06 PM
sure why not.... Because he's not that good.

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Because he's not that good.

its called creating a buzz, I hear ya.. he isn't very good, but 8 of the spurs aren't very good either.

ducks
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
you are strange

ChumpDumper
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
its called creating a buzz:lmao

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
you are strange

nice...

ducks
07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
:lmao

that is the only buzz he can get
can not get one with sex

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
that is the only buzz he can get
can not get one with sex

son, don't make me slap you again.

timvp
07-08-2008, 06:13 PM
McCandless declined to say which team Pietrus is nearing a deal with, but said the teams that expressed interest other than the Heat were New Jersey, New York, Detroit, San Antonio, Seattle, Atlanta, Orlando, Boston and the Los Angeles Lakers.

RC: We are interested in Pietrus.

McCandless: How much are you willing to offer my client?

RC: Don't know. We are waiting on Maggette's answer.

McCandless: *click*

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I still like Azubuike as the fallback plan :hat

ducks
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
brand is also going to be a sixer

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

McCandless: How much are you willing to offer my client?

RC: Don't know. We are waiting on Maggette's answer.

McCandless: *click*

exactly... this guy timvp fully understands.

ChumpDumper
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM

McCandless: We have a full midlevel offer from Orlando.

RC: *click*

ducks
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
950 AM Radio in Philadelphia is reporting that Elton Brand has signed with the Philadelphia 76ers. No terms of the deal have been released yet.

Many believed that Elton Brand would return to the Los Angeles Clippers, after he chose to opt out so the Clippers could add other talent. The Clippers had to renounce their rights to both Elton Brand and Corey Maggette to be able to sign Baron Davis. Then, they hoped to sign Brand too.

Today, the Sixers traded a future first round pick, Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth to Minnesota so they could add a $2.9 million trade exception and increase the salary cap space they had.

No one knew whether it would be Josh Smith or Elton Brand that space would be offered to. But 950, an ESPN affiliate, is reporting that a deal is done.

Brand is familiar with the area, because his doctor who performed ACL surgery for him last year is located in North Delaware, which is about 15 minutes from Philadelphia.

Brand played in only a handful of games last year due to that injury and expects to be at full strength this year.

Deals can be officially signed tomorrow, July 9th.

dastrey
07-08-2008, 06:18 PM
People need to realize that the odds of signing J.R or Azubuike are probably smaller than the Spurs landing Magette. Both Denver and Golden State will more than likely match any Spur offer.

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 06:18 PM
950 AM Radio in Philadelphia is reporting that Elton Brand has signed with the Philadelphia 76ers. No terms of the deal have been released yet.

Many believed that Elton Brand would return to the Los Angeles Clippers, after he chose to opt out so the Clippers could add other talent. The Clippers had to renounce their rights to both Elton Brand and Corey Maggette to be able to sign Baron Davis. Then, they hoped to sign Brand too.

Today, the Sixers traded a future first round pick, Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth to Minnesota so they could add a $2.9 million trade exception and increase the salary cap space they had.

No one knew whether it would be Josh Smith or Elton Brand that space would be offered to. But 950, an ESPN affiliate, is reporting that a deal is done.

Brand is familiar with the area, because his doctor who performed ACL surgery for him last year is located in North Delaware, which is about 15 minutes from Philadelphia.

Brand played in only a handful of games last year due to that injury and expects to be at full strength this year.

Deals can be officially signed tomorrow, July 9th.

This is the Pietrus topic special ed.

timvp
07-08-2008, 06:38 PM

RC: *click*:lol

Cant_Be_Faded
07-08-2008, 06:49 PM
...................I cannot understand how anyone does not realize this is yet another brick on the road towards signing a used up player that noone wants.

Pietrus getting this kind of money spells DOOM for the spurs summer.....The market has been set....Magette, Posey, players of this caliber will all be expecting MAD money now, more than the MLE. And they will get it, from teams who have the money to throw at them.
The timvp saying "this is both good and bad" is a total sign of upcoming bloadage. When timvp slightly admits the going is getting tough its because he's being mad optimistic and things are really alot worse than they seem.

This is the worst news we could possibly hear thus far. And to make things worse, this was the "sure thing" FA most of you all said the Spurs could get.

75% of the players mentioned besides Pietrus in this thread will ask for more, because Pietrus was at the bottom of that crop of players....

Tully365
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Man, I consider this bad news... Pietrus is a better than average player and a good fit for the Spurs, and there was no waiting period involved worrying & wasting time to see if a team would match. That's a good plan B gone. James Jones has verbally agreed with Miami. Azubuike will have many offers to choose from, as will Smith. If Maggette goes to Boston, maybe the Spurs emerge as the best option for Posey... though New Orleans or the Lakers might be attractive to him too. If all of those guys are gone, Gomes could be plan E or F. Minnesota has added Love, Carney, Booth, Cardinal, and Collins recently, which could mean Gomes is expendable, especially since he'll be due a big raise. He's not an absolute perfect fit, and not really a swingman, but could play some time at SF in a big line up, and I still think a PF Gomes/C Duncan tandem is better than PF Duncan/C Oberto. Still, my biggest fear is the Spurs get shut completely out of the FA market, which would generally be bad, and if the Hornets or Lakers are among the teams landing any of those guys, downright depressing considering there's a good chance Barry leaves too.
Orlando had hopes for Maggette too, but took the safer route with Pietrus. We'll see if holding out pays off for the Spurs.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I say we offer Pietrus the whole MLE and try to get him away from the Magic.

We are not landing Magette, JR Smith, or James Posey. These were always pipe dreams from the start. The market is now set, and shitty players like Pietrus will command a full MLE. It may seem dumb, it may go against every plan discussed in this forum, but we have to pony up for this guy because the parameters are changing. It's quite simple actually.

If we don't overpay Pietrus, we end up with Michael friggin Finley.

timvp
07-08-2008, 07:03 PM
The timvp saying "this is both good and bad" is a total sign of upcoming bloadage. When timvp slightly admits the going is getting tough its because he's being mad optimistic and things are really alot worse than they seem.Yeah I was really a ray of sunshine last year concerning the Scola trade.

Pietrus truthfully sucks. I wouldn't mind him because he's damn athletic but I don't think he was a very good fit. He's dumber than Elson ... which makes him one of the top three lowest IQ'ed players in the league.

Russ
07-08-2008, 07:05 PM
If the Spurs lost out on Pietrus because of an unsuccessful Maggette quest (and we should eventually know the "behind-the-scenes" here) that will have been a major miscalculation.

Pietrus will likely blossom in Orlando (and could have in SA).

FuzzyLumpkins
07-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Money > Serious Interest.

This is not a comparative situation. If there is no serious interest then they aren't going to offer him money. Hee just turned down $7 mil this year and unless someone offers him a decent amount more than that then we are in a prime spot.

Orlando is out.

The Sixers appear to be going after a bit more size to go along with Dalembert.

Really at this point my major concern is that the Warriors offer him a large contract $9 mil or so so they can have a 4th or 5th guy at the swing position. They may be that desperate but from a roster standpoint it really doesn't make all that much sense.

picnroll
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Pietrus would suck, would be a bad long term contract and eventually would be another player Spurs dumped assests to get rid of.

Tully365
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM

We are not landing Magette, JR Smith, or James Posey. These were always pipe dreams from the start. The market is now set, and shitty players like Pietrus will command a full MLE. It may seem dumb, it may go against every plan discussed in this forum, but we have to pony up for this guy because the parameters are changing. It's quite simple actually.

It would still be less money than Malik Rose or Rasho made. I don't think the MLE is overly outlandish for Pietrus, Posey, or Gomes. It might be slightly out of proportion, but not on a scale with Marbury, Redd, or Zach Randolph. Or even $4+/gal for gas... it beats saving a little bit of money and losing elite status as a team.

Big P
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
This is not a comparative situation. If there is no serious interest then they aren't going to offer him money. Hee just turned down $7 mil this year and unless someone offers him a decent amount more than that then we are in a prime spot.

Orlando is out.

The Sixers appear to be going after a bit more size to go along with Dalembert.

Really at this point my major concern is that the Warriors offer him a large contract $9 mil or so so they can have a 4th or 5th guy at the swing position. They may be that desperate but from a roster standpoint it really doesn't make all that much sense.

You forgot about the Clippers.

ducks
07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
no one can predict the clippers

barbacoataco
07-08-2008, 07:50 PM
If the Spurs lose Barry and Finley, don't they need to sign SOMEONE who plays SG/SF? Can they go into next season with Bowen, Ginobili, Udoka and maybe Gist or Hairston? That seems really thin given that Ginobili only plays 25 mpg and Bowen is ancient (but still my hero.)

Russ
07-08-2008, 08:05 PM
The teams are circling the chairs. No one knows when the music will stop. :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 08:34 PM

RC: *click*

SenorSpur
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM

God no!

Is it still possible to try and steal Pietrus?

timvp
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
The Magic can have Pietrus if they are willing to spend the entire MLE on him.

SenorSpur
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Magic to sign contract with Pietrus
BY JOHN DENTON

ORLANDO — The Orlando Magic have reached a verbal agreement with shooting guard Mickael Pietrus and expect to sign him to a multi-year contract today, general manager Otis Smith confirmed to FLORIDA TODAY.
Advertisement

Pietrus, a 6-foot-6, 200-pound shooting guard, is expected to earn almost all of the Mid-Level Exception, starting at 5.2 million next season. Pietrus, a native of Les Abymes, Guadeloupe, France, played all five of his NBA seasons with the Golden State Warriors.

The signing of Pietrus ends the Magic’s chase of free-agent shooting guard Corey Maggette and could end their chances of retaining combo guard Keyon Dooling.

Pietrus is especially appealing to the Magic because of his ability to defend. He is a strong defender with a long wingspan, traits that appealed to Smith. Smith, who used to work with the Golden State Warriors, is quite familiar with Pietrus’ toughness and defensive grit.

Smith said the Magic needed to upgrade their shooting guard position in order to make a dramatic improvement next season. He is expected to be the opening day starter at shooting guard.

``In the Eastern Conference you had better be able to defend that position. We think he can really help us do that. And he can shoot the 3.’’

The signing also means that last season’s starting shooting guard, Maurice Evans, likely won’t return.

Pietrus fell out of favor in Golden State last season under coach Don Nelson, averaging 7.2 points and 3.7 rebounds. He shot 44 percent from the field and 35.3 percent from the 3-point line. He’s averaged 8.6 points and 3.4 rebounds in five NBA seasons.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/SPORTS/80708058/1002/SPORTS

This is terrible news!

The Spurs should've been all over this kid as their fallback option.

Now what?

spurman20
07-08-2008, 08:55 PM
They over paid, who knows maybe we can get JJ Reddick with a second round pick cause they are sure not gonna play him now....that way we get a young talent and still have our full MLE to use

SenorSpur
07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
The Magic can have Pietrus if they are willing to spend the entire MLE on him.

I don't see anything wrong with Pietrus getting the full MLE. I would've rather had Pietrus as a fallback option to Maggette.

Smith and Azibuke are even more remote options that was Maggette. So really the Spurs options are extremely slim, at this point.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
:wtf $5 mil+ for Pietrus? Take him.

Tully365
07-08-2008, 09:13 PM
JJ Reddick? He's two slots down from Pietrus on the depth chart.

Pietrus is young, athletic, and he plays defense. He is looking pretty good right about now and will look really good if the Spurs get nothing. I bet Ime Udoka is all smiles tonight. 25 mpg for Ime!

SenorSpur
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM
:wtf $5 mil+ for Pietrus? Take him.

OK maybe half.

Speaking of which, it amazes me how fiscally irresponsible the GMs are. I mean they often don't consider whether these players are actually a fit for their team. I speaking of Golden State particularly.

angelbelow
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
this is the true blessing in disguise, now we dont have to worry about the spurs trying to sign him.

Gino2882
07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Would be ecstatic if the Spurs got Pietrus for the MLE.

Spurs are in a scramble now. Beleedat.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Would be ecstatic if the Spurs got Pietrus for the MLE.

Spurs are in a scramble now. Beleedat.

You'd be ecstatic about the Spurs overpaying for a dumber, shorter version of Francisco Elson? :wtf

Three years from now Spurs fans will look back on missing out on Pietrus like we look back on missing out on Jason Kidd.

Buddy Holly
07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Now what?

http://www.espn.go.com/photo/2006/1126/nba_g_jrsmith_395.jpg

loveforthegame
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
The Magic can have Pietrus. He's not worth that amount and he makes too many mistakes. He would drive Pop crazy with them.

SenorSpur
07-08-2008, 10:47 PM
The Magic can have Pietrus. He's not worth that amount and he makes too many mistakes. He would drive Pop crazy with them.

....and JR Smith has a high BBIQ and wouldn't drive Pop nuts?

loveforthegame
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM

I'm not a fan of JR Smith in a Spurs uniform either.

I don't mind the Spurs trying for Maggette but I hope they don't waste time on Smith.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM

Pietrus makes J.R. Smith look like a Rhodes scholar.

itzsoweezee
07-08-2008, 11:06 PM
JJ Reddick? He's two slots down from Pietrus in the depth chart.

He's young, athletic, and he plays defense. Pietrus is looking pretty good right about now. I bet Ime Udoka is all smiles tonight. 25 mpg for Ime!

JJ Reddick????

never post again

Russ
07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
There he is, the future Spur . . .

http://www.espn.go.com/photo/2006/1126/nba_g_jrsmith_395.jpg

Yeah, right. :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
There he is, the future Spur . . .

Eduardo? Possibly.

SenorSpur
07-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Any way to put a package together for Denver in exchange for both Smith and Najera?

Tully365
07-08-2008, 11:23 PM
JJ Reddick????

never post again

I was responding to another post about him, by spurman20. I was not suggesting him. I went back and edited to make it more clear. Calm down, OK?

T Park
07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm not a fan of JR Smith in a Spurs uniform either.

I don't mind the Spurs trying for Maggette but I hope they don't waste time on Smith.

What FA should they go after then?

Damn people there isn't that much out there...

Tully365
07-09-2008, 01:15 AM

I agree. Smith doesn't play D, doesn't pass or rebound much, has a pretty high turnover rate, has never gotten along with an NBA coach, and couldn't secure a starting position on the Denver Nuggets. Sure, he scores, no doubt. But should the Spurs abandon their entire approach to the game for one undisciplined chronic troublemaker? It seems like some on this forum are intoxicated by his one strength, but unable to even mention any of his shortcomings. For me, the idea of him starting and Manu coming off the bench is practically sacrilege.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
This is the guy I think the spurs should have been courting from the get-go, instead of spaghettimagette. Well, congrats to the magic for having the smarts to grab this guy while he was available. :depressed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3478921

The Orlando Magic were rumored to be in the mix for free agent Corey Maggette, but it appears they've gone in a different direction.

Pietrus

Florida Today reported on Tuesday that the Magic have reached a verbal agreement with free-agent swingman Mickael Pietrus, who played for the Golden State Warriors last season.

Orlando general manager Otis Smith told the newspaper that the five-year veteran will receive almost all of the Magic's midlevel exception, which starts at $5.2 million next season. The team is expected to sign Pietrus to a multiyear contract on Wednesday.

Besides passing on Maggette, the Magic appear to have closed the door on retaining guard Keyon Dooling, who has played with Orlando the past three seasons.

Smith said that Pietrus' ability to defend opponents' shooting guards sets him apart.

"In the Eastern Conference, you had better be able to defend that position," he said, according to the newspaper. "We think he can really help us do that. And he can shoot the 3."

Pietrus averaged 7.2 points and 3.7 rebounds last season. Those numbers were off his career highs of 11.1 and 4.5 in 2006-07.

thekingrobert
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
this is yesterdays news....literally

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Pietrus would've been a fine 2nd option and was my choice also. I never thought it possible that the Spurs would've landed Maggette anyway.

The difference between the Magic and the Spurs is that the Magic realized that acquiring Maggette was a long-shot. Consequently, they pulled up stakes earlier this week and started working on their fallback option sooner.

I really believed that the Spurs would've secured their 2nd option (on standby) so they could've moved quickly once the decision came down.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2008, 08:16 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100796

TJastal
07-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Pietrus would've been a fine 2nd option and was my choice also. I never thought it possible that the Spurs would've landed Maggette anyway.

The difference between the Magic and the Spurs is that the Magic realized that acquiring Maggette was a long-shot. Consequently, they pulled up stakes earlier this week and started working on their fallback option sooner.

I really believed that the Spurs would've secured their 2nd option (on standby) so they could've moved quickly once the decision came down.

Good point, Senorspur. If I'm the Magic, I am damn excited to be bringing in Pietrus, and I'm laughing my ass off at the rest of the league falling all over themselves in the Spaghetti-Maggette sweepstakes. :rollin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Pietrus is dumb as a post, would never have learned the system, and probably would've been another Hedo for us.

PS Where was 2008 Hedo in 2004???

TJastal
07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Pietrus is dumb as a post, would never have learned the system, and probably would've been another Hedo for us.

If Turkoglu had been given the chance to grow up with the spurs, they would be reaping the benefits now. Players need some time to grow up.

And I don't care if Pietrus is dumber than a post, his raw talent and athleticism is something you can't teach and that is what the spurs need right now.

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
If I'm the Spurs, I would've secured a standby decision from Pietrus, while getting a final decision on Maggette. In fact, they should've kept his ass holding on call waiting. :lol

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 08:42 AM

For everybody that keeps saying how dump Pietrus is, I guess you'd prefer JR Smith, due to his known high BBIQ and on-court genius.

Don't get me wrong, hell I'd take JR Smith right now. I just can't understand all the Pietrus hate, when Smith is just as dumb both on and off the court - especially off - and hasn't attempted to play a lick of defense in his life.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 08:45 AM
I'd even take Devin Brown back at this point.. I think the spurs gave up way too quickly on this guy.

I remember him and Turkoglu infusing the spurs with energy off the bench back in 2005. Then *poof* both gone in the next year or so

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2008, 08:46 AM
If Turkoglu had been given the chance to grow up with the spurs, they would be reaping the benefits now. Players need some time to grow up.

And I don't care if Pietrus is dumber than a post, his raw talent and athleticism is something you can't teach and that is what the spurs need right now.

Well, you don't know much about what you are talking about then. Sure, we need athleticism, but if the guy can't learn the system Pop won't play him. Ergo, it won't work out and he'll be gone in a year as Hedo was. We need players who are athletic, and smart enough about basketball to get on the court.

Oh, and Hedo was shown the door because it was his 4th season (he had plenty of time to grow up), he choked like a bitch in the playoffs (singlehandedly killed the team), and he never fit the role here. In Orlando he plays as a point-forward and fits the role beautifully. If he had stayed here he never would've blossomed.

Bye Bye.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
For everybody that keeps saying how dump Pietrus is, I guess you'd prefer JR Smith, due to his known high BBIQ and on-court genius.

Nope, I think JR would be a disaster. Another great talent without a clue, and worse, he's a me-first gunner under pressure.

Aza or Barnes, and Kristic or Williams from the Nets, plus Thomas/Barry, and lets cross our fingers for a healthy big 3 in the playoffs.

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Well, you don't know much about what you are talking about then. Sure, we need athleticism, but if the guy can't learn the system Pop won't play him. Ergo, it won't work out and he'll be gone in a year as Hedo was. We need players who are athletic, and smart enough about basketball to get on the court.

Oh, and Hedo was shown the door because it was his 4th season (he had plenty of time to grow up), he choked like a bitch in the playoffs (singlehandedly killed the team), and he never fit the role here. In Orlando he plays as a point-forward and fits the role beautifully. If he had stayed here he never would've blossomed.

Bye Bye.

All very true. I couldn't stand that fucker when he was in a Spurs uniform. However, you have to be impressed with how he's developed to where he is now. Recent winner of the NBA's Most Improved Player of the Year award Now, one of the main cogs in Orlando. I guess it takes some players longer to "get it" than others.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 08:50 AM

Bye Bye.

'Glu played 1 year in the spurs system. All he did was average 9 pts a game and shoot 42% from downtown. Solid numbers to build from IMO. Just need more time to forge his role furthur.

Bye bye

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
See, all the tension in here and people jumping to conclusions is why I decided to stay away from here during silly season this year.

And thus, I'm off again.

I'll be back when FA silly-season is over and everyone has regained their sanity.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2008, 08:55 AM
'Glu played 1 year in the spurs system. All he did was average 9 pts a game and shoot 42% from downtown. Solid numbers to build from IMO. Just need more time to forge his role furthur.

Bye bye

Wanna play that game huh?

I said PLAYOFFS:

7.7pts on 32% and 33% from downtown, including every clutch shot he took in the series recorded a MISS, and 1:1 Assist to TO ratio. He simply did not fit here.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/hidayet_turkoglu/career_stats.html

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
There's a reason Spurs fans call him Hedon't, because Hedidn't in the playoffs when the Spurs needed him to hit A shot.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Having a bad playoff year (ergo "choking like a bitch" as you say) isn't necessarily grounds for immediate dismissal, especially if is his first year on the team. Alot of times, that type of experience can makes a player even more determined to come back stronger, if they have the willpower and determination, which obviously Turkoglu has in spades.

Mr. Body
07-09-2008, 08:59 AM
It's comical how many of the Pietrus bashers -- "he's as dumb as a post" -- are the guys jocking a JR Smith acquisition.

Russ
07-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Yep. And as far as Pietrus being benched because he's too dumb to learn Pop's system, that mainly happens with bigs. Nazr, Rasho, Elson -- bad rotations under the basket drive Pop crazy.

"Low IQ" wing players, on the other hand, rarely seem to get benched for "dumbness" -- Jack, Speedy, Derek Anderson, etc.

So it could have been with Pietrus. Pietrus was a major oppotunity lost IMO. Not a great player, just the exact type of player that the Spurs needed right about now.

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Yep. And as far as Pietrus being benched because he's too dumb to learn Pop's system, that mainly happens with bigs. Nazr, Rasho, Elson -- bad rotations under the basket drive Pop crazy.

"Low IQ" wing players, on the other hand, rarely seem to get benched for "dumbness" -- Jack, Speedy, Derek Anderson, etc.

So it could have been with Pietrus. Pietrus was a major oppotunity lost IMO. Not a great player, just the exact type of player that the Spurs needed right about now.

....and a very good, on-the-ball defender, with 3-point range.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
....and a very good, on-the-ball defender, with 3-point range.

Orlando could potentially be a team that can dethrone the celtics this upcoming year, all they are really lacking now is better point guard than Jameer Nelson, they almost got by the Pistons last year, and now they add Courtney Lee and Michael Pietrus to Howard, Lewis, and Turkoglu. Yikes!~

VaSpursFan
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Orlando could potentially be a team that can dethrone the celtics this upcoming year, all they are really lacking now is better point guard than Jameer Nelson, they almost got by the Pistons last year, and now they add Courtney Lee and Michael Pietrus to Howard, Lewis, and Turkoglu. Yikes!~

don't forget to watch out for the sixers too. they now have a legitimate low post threat to go with iggy on the wing with miller at point.

Russ
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
I'd still like to know the Spurs' level of interest in Pietrus -- whether they had any real talks or made any offers. (Heck, if I was the Spurs I'd still go for him -- top Orlando's offer with the full MLE and bring him in).

angelbelow
07-09-2008, 11:18 AM
thats fine we dont need his candy ass.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
thats fine we dont need his candy ass.

Nah, I think we need Michael Finley back, complete with wheelchair and respirator!

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Nah, I think we need Michael Finley back, complete with wheelchair and respirator!

I'm sure glad you were being facetious.:lol

Tully365
07-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I guess the final question should be this: would adding Pietrus have made the team better or worse? I think it would have made them better. He probably wouldn't have become a member of the Spurs' "Big 4", but he would have helped defensively, and is young and athletic, two things almost all Spur fans have been screaming for. But Orlando, who added Pietrus and Courtney Lee this summer, is definitely better, and the Spurs, who might get shut out of free agency completely and lose Brent Barry too, might have taken a small step backward.

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I guess the final question should be this: would adding Pietrus have made the team better or worse? I think it would have made them better. He probably wouldn't have become a member of the Spurs' "Big 4", but he would have helped defensively, and is young and athletic, two things almost all Spur fans have been screaming for. But Orlando, who added Pietrus and Courtney Lee this summer, is definitely better, and the Spurs, who might get shut out of free agency completely and lose Brent Barry too, might have taken a small step backward.

Couldn't agree more. The remaining UFA swingmen talent available is clearly a step down.

Taking it to the Hole
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe we should go with what we got again and give the rookies we drafted a chance to prove themselves? We might sign one free agent this offseason but really you know we are just going to resign Finley probably and Thomas. Barry, it's been real buddy.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Maybe we should go with what we got again and give the rookies we drafted a chance to prove themselves? We might sign one free agent this offseason but really you know we are just going to resign Finley probably and Thomas. Barry, it's been real buddy.

If you had to let either Fin or Bones go, I don't think that's the wise choice.

Tully365
07-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Don't get me wrong, hell I'd take JR Smith right now. I just can't understand all the Pietrus hate, when Smith is just as dumb both on and off the court - especially off - and hasn't attempted to play a lick of defense in his life.

If the Spurs were looking for their #1 guy, for the star who they thought they could assemble a future team around, then I could see some of these comments. But they are looking for a swing player with some youth and energy. I think the gap that exists between the talents of Pietrus, Smith, and Maggette has been hugely exaggerated by some on this thread. It's funny that the Spurs have always been a defense-first team, but when discussing Maggette and Smith, their advocates, like good lawyers, refrain from bringing up the sketchy "D" word that might hurt their arguments.

Before this free agency period, I'd never heard anyone link Maggette or Smith to high BB IQ. Or to average BB IQ.

Sissiborgo
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
My opinion i don't like him he's not a bog time scorer and i never liked him so i think he wont fit in the spurs but orlando he could!:toast

TJastal
07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
My opinion i don't like him he's not a bog time scorer and i never liked him so i think he wont fit in the spurs but orlando he could!:toast

He plays defense, that would probably turn you off too huh

Tully365
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM

Sissiborgo-- Hey: wasn't there a player from Iceland a year or two ago that played in one of the Summer leagues? Where is he now?