PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith: The Remainder of the Tim Duncan Era Hangs in Limbo

50 cent
07-08-2008, 08:35 PM
This is pretty much our final chance to stay a contender for the remainder of the Duncan era.

At least we now know we have to go hard after JR. Sign him to an offer tomorrow and start praying. :depressed

timvp
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Azubuike looks like he could be a good buy in this market. I don't think it's quite JR Smith or Bust yet ... but it's getting close to that.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Step away from the shower rod. Bring back our own free agents, and if the Spurs are healthy I still like their chances.

VaSpursFan
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Azubuike looks like he could be a good buy in this market. I don't think it's quite JR Smith or Bust yet ... but it's getting close to that.

we HAVE to sign one of these guys or we are fucked. talk about when it rains it pours...first splitter and now this.

picnroll
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Azubuike is the safer bet in terms of availability, cost, length of contract but he doesn't have the potential to put the Spurs over the top. Will Pop go safe or roll the dice?

Mr. Body
07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
JR Smith ain't gonna do jack shit for this team.

picnroll
07-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Step away from the shower rod. Bring back our own free agents, and if the Spurs are healthy I still like their chances.

Fuck that. Spurs would be lucky to get out of round one.

Bruno
07-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Maggette wasn't a realistic option at the start of the offseason. Spurs are basically in the same situation than before the offseason.

Things haven't gone worse, for the moment...

thekingrobert
I like JR better than Maggs cause he does everything Maggs does but he shoots the 3 better

timvp
JR Smith ain't gonna do jack shit for this team.Smith's ability to catch and shoot would seamlessly transition into what the Spurs do offensively. Everything else about him and his game needs reworking but he has the potential to be the best shooter in the NBA.

Sii
07-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Any team with a Duncan, Parker and Ginobili together is a serious contender. Acting like its JR Smith or SA will not contend for anything the rest of the Duncan era is bullshit

spurman20
07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Azubuike is no better than Udoka.....This is a guy who averages 8 ppg......and plays on a fast team...the only player now who could make us better assuming he doesnt act out is Ricky Davis.....he can score is athletic and is only 28...can shoot the three...and get to the rim......next I would say Delfino but Im sure Tor will match a MLE offer....they have only one other sg on the team. Mason from washington is Ok but not athletic.....I say look to trade for a wing...maybe try to sign Krstic form Jersey...

50 cent
07-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Azubuike would be an okay consolation prize, Delfino would not.

JR is huge though.

I really don't think Denver could match and pay him $11M a year.

Tully365
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Make an offer to Ryan Gomes. Resign Barry and Thomas. Hope Hairston & Gist surpass expectations. Hope Hill is capable of 8+ ppg and defends like Gary Payton in his prime. Hope Mahinmi plays out of his mind. Grab a summer league surprise. Whew.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Have Tim Duncan. Have Tony Parker. Have Manu Ginobili. Have some other guys who can defend and hit open shots.

Fixed.

Russ
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
This is pretty much our final chance to stay a contender for the remainder of the Duncan era.

At least we now know we have to go hard after JR. Sign him to an offer tomorrow and start praying. :depressed

If that's the case, then the future chances for the Tim Duncan era are slim and none. (And, as Chick Hearn used to say, "Slim just left town.")

But I don't think it is . . .

Mr. Body
07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Smith's ability to catch and shoot would seamlessly transition into what the Spurs do offensively. Everything else about him and his game needs reworking but he has the potential to be the best shooter in the NBA.

Smith probably hurts this team more than he helps but they probably have to risk it now.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
We still have The Saviour:

http://www.spursandcowboys.com/images/mahinmi.bmp

picnroll
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Have Tim Duncan. Have Tony Parker. Have Manu Ginobili. Have some other guys who can defend and hit open shots. Find them under a cabbage leaf.
Fixed

timvp
07-08-2008, 08:51 PM
We still have The Saviour:

http://www.spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

Fixed.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
:lol, I couldn't find that one quickly.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Azubuike would be an okay consolation prize, Delfino would not.

JR is huge though.

I really don't think Denver could match and pay him $11M a year.

I agree with you that the nuggets would take it in the butt if they matched for Smith, but if you look at the nuggets roster they have no other sg on the roster so if they lose smith were do they go? So I think they will match.

50 cent
07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I agree with you that the nuggets would take it in the butt if they matched for Smith, but if you look at the nuggets roster they have no other sg on the roster so if they lose smith were do they go? So I think they will match.

Hell, I don't know - they sign some scrubs for the minimum. They are already at $76M without matching Smith and the Luxury Tax Threshold will probably be $71-72M.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2008, 08:57 PM
So, why would the Spurs need both Azubuike and Udoka?

ShoogarBear
07-08-2008, 08:58 PM
Other than for the entertainment value of listening to commentators try to say their names?

Obstructed_View

That Iver whatever guy is okay.

Marcus Bryant
Oh get off it you fucking drama queen queef snorting dumbass.

objective
Though I think Denver would match any offer if the Spurs can get JR Smith to sign a deal then they need to do it.

With Maggette, Pietrus, Posey, James Jones and possibly Delfino already off the market there's no harm in risking it now.

It's not like they'd be missing out on anybody except Azubuike.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM
So, why would the Spurs need both Azubuike and Udoka?

That's a good question. If the Spurs sign Kelenna, then that should make Udoka tradeable, if he wasn't already. Kelenna is basically a better scoring Udoka.

underdawg
07-08-2008, 08:59 PM

does he still play for the nuggs?

timvp
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
So, why would the Spurs need both Azubuike and Udoka?Azubuike is kinda like the athletic version of Udoka. But then again he's British so that may be nullified.

No offense Sequ.

Kindergarten Cop

What position do you think AI plays?

Obstructed_View
Though I think Denver would match any offer if the Spurs can get JR Smith to sign a deal then they need to do it.

With Maggette, Pietrus, Posey, James Jones and possibly Delfino already off the market there's no harm in risking it now.

It's not like they'd be missing out on anybody except Azubuike.

If they make an offer, don't they lock up that money until the Nuggets match?

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Hell, I don't know - they sign some scrubs for the minimum. They are already at $76M without matching Smith and the Luxury Tax Threshold will probably be $71-72M.

I see your point I think he would be as good a fit as meggette and he is much younger. If we dont get him I think we could be in some trouble.....maybe look to a team like Min or Orlando who both now have a glut at Sg and see if one will give us one on the cheep

timvp
07-08-2008, 09:01 PM

It's not like they'd be missing out on anybody except Azubuike.Posey and Delfino are both on the market. Those rumors concerning those two guys are weak. But yeah, the rest of the players you mentioned look to be signed.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 09:02 PM
If they make an offer, don't they lock up that money until the Nuggets match?

I think that the Spurs can rescind the offer if something better comes along or if they have a strong feeling that the Nuggets will match it.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I think that the Spurs can rescind the offer if something better comes along or if they have a strong feeling that the Nuggets will match it.

They wouldn't get a strong feeling until the very end, when everyone else could be gone.

SequSpur
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Azubuike is kinda like the athletic version of Udoka. But then again he's British so that may be nullified.

No offense Sequ.

:flag:

Bartleby
07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
They wouldn't get a strong feeling until the very end, when everyone else could be gone.

That would be more like a sinking feeling.

objective
07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Posey and Delfino are both on the market. Those rumors concerning those two guys are weak. But yeah, the rest of the players you mentioned look to be signed.

With Maggette off the market I wouldn't be surprised if Boston gives in to his demands of the full MLE. So either NO or Boston I think are the odds on favorites for him.

Delfino . . . ugh. I think I might rather risk Hairston as the opening day starter after an unsuccessful offer sheet with JR Smith.

timvp
07-08-2008, 09:06 PM
With Maggette off the market I wouldn't be surprised if Boston gives in to his demands of the full MLE. So either NO or Boston I think are the odds on favorites for him.

Delfino . . . ugh. I think I might rather risk Hairston as the opening day starter after an unsuccessful offer sheet with JR Smith.I agree that Delfemale is not a preferred end result to this offseason.

wisnub
07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Make an offer to Ryan Gomes. Resign Barry and Thomas. Hope Hairston & Gist surpass expectations. Hope Hill is capable of 8+ ppg and defends like Gary Payton in his prime. Hope Mahinmi plays out of his mind. Grab a summer league surprise. Whew.

If this happen than we're completely fucked. Are you fucking serious? At least try JR or Kelena first

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
What position do you think AI plays?

Last year he started every game at Pg with smith at the 2 anthony the 3 martin the 4 and camby the 5.....the nuggets are thin at both G pos.....

50 cent
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I think I will shoot myself if Delfino is out starting SG.

ShoogarBear
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Azubuike is kinda like the athletic version of Udoka.

But realistically, you don't need duplicates of that particular skill set. Other than providing some more swing depth, I'm not sure how that helps them in their weak areas.

British

Sequhttp://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/388138957_b03eb908ba_o.jpg

SPURSGOAT
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Try for JR Smith, Childress, or Azubuike Any one of those would still be a big win for the Spurs...

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM

Save your ammo. If Delfino gets signed, Manu moves back into the starting lineup. It was Finley's terrible play off the bench that typically moved Manu into the sixth man role.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:12 PM

We could do a lot worse than Delfino, he is athletic and can shoot and get to the rack.....not gonna be an all star but better than Fin or Barry or God forbid we start Udoka at sg and bowen at the 3..........I dont think I could watch that!!

50 cent
07-08-2008, 09:15 PM
The reason I really want JR is because we need scoring, not defense. JR can man up, but he is athletic and he can shoot the hell out of the ball.

Kelenna would be a big time consolation to JR.

picnroll
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Delfino is Jack's dumb plays without the good ones.

debo
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
what are you guys freaking out about? we have george hill!:lol

:cry

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Yes hes good but cant play both spots and if they let smith go then they are stuck starting anthony carter who is 193 yrs old and has bad knees....Oh and no back ups at either spot...........If we cant get a G that will make us better, Go after a scorer like Gomes or C like krstic

ShoogarBear
07-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Save your ammo. If Delfino gets signed, Manu moves back into the starting lineup. It was Finley's terrible play off the bench that typically moved Manu into the sixth man role.

I still think the lineup math works better with Manu off the bench. Pop has three major objectives with the minutes distribution:

1. Keep Manu around 30 minutes or less.
2. Keep 2 of the Big 3 on the court as much as possible.
3. Have the big 3 on the floor for the last 5 minutes of the game.

It hard to accomplish all three of those if Manu starts. The only chance is if Delfino (or somebody else) can provide enough scoring so he doesn't have to enforce #2.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Last year he started every game at Pg with smith at the 2 anthony the 3 martin the 4 and camby the 5.....the nuggets are thin at both G pos.....

J.R. Smith had a grand total of ZERO starts last year for the Nuggets.

Also, they run Kleiza at the 2 a lot as well.

brettn
07-08-2008, 09:24 PM
This is a joke, right?

JR Smith the savior of the team now? Fucking crackhead.

50 cent
07-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, i think they would run Kleiza/Carmello at the 2/3.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
J.R. Smith had a grand total of ZERO starts last year for the Nuggets.

Also, they run Kleiza at the 2 a lot as well.

And Kleiza got his ass beat which is why he moved to the bench.....You could start anyone at any spot doesnt make them that pos......Klieza is a sf nothing more nothing less......they also played martin at the sg if that tells you how bad off they are .......and you saw what Kobe did to his ass.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Azubuike is no better than Udoka.....This is a guy who averages 8 ppg......and plays on a fast team...the only player now who could make us better assuming he doesnt act out is Ricky Davis.....he can score is athletic and is only 28...can shoot the three...and get to the rim......next I would say Delfino but Im sure Tor will match a MLE offer....they have only one other sg on the team. Mason from washington is Ok but not athletic.....I say look to trade for a wing...maybe try to sign Krstic form Jersey...

Stick to agent school, dumbass.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Stick to agent school, dumbass.

You done turning tricks for the night already????? Those damn gas prices

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
You done turning tricks for the night already????? Those damn gas prices

Nyuck nyuck nyuck.

You would have been better off just saying you've never seen Azubuike play than spend the time to post that crap you posted.

Before Stephen Jackson returned from suspension Kelenna was putting up 20 a night. Kinda hard to average more than 8 PPG when you're coming off the bench and filling what's left of the minutes that Stephen Jackson and Monta Ellis don't...

I wish you'd just go back to spursreport, your stupidity fits right in there.

hater
07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
thank God spursfans will stop dreaming with Baggette now.

I am also not convinced with JR. He won't make or break the Spurs. As long as we sign someone like Pietrus/Azubuke and healthy we should still be contenders.

I am not worried.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Nyuck nyuck nyuck.

You would have been better off just saying you've never seen Azubuike play than spend the time to post that crap you posted.

Before Stephen Jackson returned from suspension Kelenna was putting up 20 a night. Kinda hard to average more than 8 PPG when you're coming off the bench and filling what's left of the minutes that Stephen Jackson and Monta Ellis don't...

I wish you'd just go back to spursreport, your stupidity fits right in there.

I have watched the guy play since he was at kentucky not sayn hes a bad player but his numbers are inflated from playn in a systme that allows him to put up numbers. In the spurs slow down tempo, if you project him into the lineup he gets 8-9 ppg in 27 min about what Fin gave us. I think for that fact Ricky Davis would be better.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
He averaged 8.5 PPG in 20 MPG last year. Finley averaged 10 in 27. :lol

He'd be a double figures scorer for the Spurs. And again, this is about finding someone to shoot the ball a lot during the regular season to keep the load off Manu and the scoring load off the big 3.

If you don't think he'd get significantly more touches as our starting 2guard than he got coming off the bench playing with Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Monta Ellis, Barnes, and Pietrus (bunch of chuckers), you shouldn't be posting on this board.

picnroll
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Ricky Davis. Just shoot me. A guy who has been traded multiple times and managed to make every team he's been traded to worse. When you look up bad game judgement there's a picture of Davis.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Ricky Davis. Just shoot me. A guy who has been traded multiple times and managed to make every team he's been traded to worse. When you look up bad game judgement there's a picture of Davis.

Nonsense, spursman20 got him in the NBA Agent Fantasy Hoops League about four years ago and the guy was money.

brettn
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Nonsense, spursman20 got him in the NBA Agent Fantasy Hoops League about four years ago and the guy was money.

LMAO! In that case RC needs to go get him!

Buddy Holly
07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
I think Denver doesn't match simply because I think they'd go after someone cheaper like Azubuike. Spurs need to make a full MLE offer for five years and then sell him on starting, etc.

exstatic
07-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes hes good but cant play both spots and if they let smith go then they are stuck starting anthony carter who is 193 yrs old and has bad knees....Oh and no back ups at either spot...........If we cant get a G that will make us better, Go after a scorer like Gomes or C like krstic

Iverson is their SG.

Carter is their starting Point. JR comes off the bench.

AC#21_TD ERA
07-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Jr Smith Or Get The Fork Out!

exstatic
07-08-2008, 10:12 PM
This is a joke, right?

JR Smith the savior of the team now? Fucking crackhead.

Got any more lies?

picnroll
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
One discouraging thing about signing Smith is that Denver dumped their pick to save money. Hard to believe they'd dump the pick and be willing to lose Smith.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
And Kleiza got his ass beat which is why he moved to the bench.....You could start anyone at any spot doesnt make them that pos......Klieza is a sf nothing more nothing less......they also played martin at the sg if that tells you how bad off they are .......and you saw what Kobe did to his ass.

Do you just make stuff up as you go along? How many times have you been exposed in telling lies - only to move on as if you never made the statements in the first place?

exstatic
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM
One discouraging thing about signing Smith is that Denver dumped their pick to save money. Hard to believe they'd dump the pick and be willing to lose Smith.

Why is that so hard to believe? They're already at $78M with 5 more players needed to fill out their minimum 13 man roster. If you make it short, and the full MLE, I think they'll pass, rather than gut the team for a player who could walk unrestricted in 2 years.

If they let him walk, his $3M qual offer comes off, knocking them down to $75M, only $4M over the tax. They the go out and fill the roster with (now) 6 more cheap players, and maybe they get away under $80M, and the tax doesn't bite them too hard. If they match, they're at $80M before filling out the roster.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 10:22 PM

OTOH, if they were willing to dump their pick to save around $1M why would they match an offer of $6M/yr on a guy they have coming off of the bench?

picnroll
07-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Why is that so hard to believe? They're already at $78M with 5 more players needed to fill out their minimum 13 man roster. If you make it short, and the full MLE, I think they'll pass, rather than gut the team for a player who could walk unrestricted in 2 years.

I hope so. That's who I want the Spurs to make a play for. I even prefer him to having gotten Maggette if Pop can get to him.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I still think the lineup math works better with Manu off the bench. Pop has three major objectives with the minutes distribution:

1. Keep Manu around 30 minutes or less.
2. Keep 2 of the Big 3 on the court as much as possible.
3. Have the big 3 on the floor for the last 5 minutes of the game.

It hard to accomplish all three of those if Manu starts. The only chance is if Delfino (or somebody else) can provide enough scoring so he doesn't have to enforce #2.

I completely agree that it works, and I understand the logic of it. I don't just go throwing the starting job at anyone and just expecting Manu to continue to be okay with coming off the bench unless I've discussed it with him beforehand, though. Some of his comments regarding the 6MOY award lead me to believe that he's really setting his ego aside for the good of the team, and it would be a mistake IMHO to just take it for granted by giving a scrub, particularly one from Argentina, his spot.

ElNono
07-08-2008, 10:38 PM
I would be really surprised to see the FO pursue JR Smith. He's the prototype of players we don't hire: poor character guy, abysmal defender, horrible shot selection. He's also a player that can't create his own shot, so as far as providing a spark from the bench, forget about it.
And for those pointing to Ricky Davis, it's the same situation, but with an even bigger prima donna.
I think the Spurs will send out a few offers for part of the MLE, re-sign Finley, try to re-sign Barry, and save the rest of the money. Then they'll take another look mid-season, once they have an idea how Mahimi and our first round draft pick are working, and how other teams are doing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't me wrong, I'm all for bringing him over but as much as JR Smith can help us, it's probably safe to pass him by. Not because of his attitude, but because of the Spurs' situation in case he were to be matched by Denver.

A lot can happen in a week. Suppose we sign JR to an offer sheet tomorrow. Then when next week comes around, Childress, Azubuike, Mason, Posey, hell maybe even Delfino can be signed. Then the Nuggets match the offer and JR is unable to come to San Antonio.

What to do now? Re-sign Barry, sign Hayes, and call it offseason? :vomit:

But then again, that's all assuming Denver is out to match his offer, no questions asked. I'm just trying to be aware of all the possible outcomes.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I would be really surprised to see the FO pursue JR Smith. He's the prototype of players we don't hire: poor character guy, abysmal defender, horrible shot selection. He's also a player that can't create his own shot, so as far as providing a spark from the bench, forget about it.

I'll admit to watching very little Nuggets' basketball this past season, but I believe that the criticism of J.R. Smith's defense is over-exaggerated - and he had very little trouble creating his own shot in the series against the Lakers (although granted they are not a defensive juggernaut).

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I would be really surprised to see the FO pursue JR Smith. He's the prototype of players we don't hire: poor character guy, abysmal defender, horrible shot selection. He's also a player that can't create his own shot, so as far as providing a spark from the bench, forget about it

http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5271150,00.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM

:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Then when next week comes around, Childress, Azubuike, Mason, Posey, hell maybe even Delfino can be signed.

When are people going to grasp the concept that neither Childress nor Josh Smith will be signed away from Atlanta for the MLE? Seriously, scratch them both off your list.

spurman20
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Iverson is their SG.

Carter is their starting Point. JR comes off the bench.

Carter is a FREE AGENT.......

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
When are people going to grasp the concept that neither Childress nor Josh Smith will be signed away from Atlanta for the MLE? Seriously, scratch them both off your list.

Both aren't on my list. And I'm not one to promote the thought of signing Childress, just adding his name so those who think it's a possibility to sign him can somewhat get the picture.

And weak username change. :td

spurman20
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM

Do you think G S will match an offer for K A?

Buddy Holly
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM

It's a forgone conclusion he will be resigning, Mr. Agent. :rollin

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Both aren't on my list. And I'm not one to promote the thought of signing Childress, just adding his name so those who think it's a possibility to sign him can somewhat get the picture.

And weak username change. :td

Haha, just having some fun with ya...

I'm just tired of seeing people mention Childress and Josh Smith. It's been covered about a million times in the forum already - Atlanta will happily match a MLE offer for either.

Kindergarten Cop

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100682

Anthony Carter More than Likely to Re-sign with Nuggets

Buddy Holly
Do you think G S will match an offer for K A?

You're the agent, why don't you tell us?

Kori Ellis
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM

That's not the point. You said ...

Last year he (Iverson) started every game at Pg with smith at the 2 anthony the 3 martin the 4 and camby the 5.....the nuggets are thin at both G pos.....

and that's not the case at all. Smith never started at the 2. He never started last year.

Carter-Iverson-Anthony-Martin-Camby - That was the starting lineup. Carter started 67 of the 70 games he played at PG last year. So how do you figure AI started at point every game?

Next time you sign up at a forum and pretend to be an agent, watch a few NBA games first.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:54 PM
You're the agent, why don't you tell us?

Haha, just having some fun with ya...

I'm just tired of seeing people mention Childress and Josh Smith. It's been covered about a million times in the forum already - Atlanta will happily match a MLE offer for either.

And I'm not even exactly how well Childress will help us out. He's not exactly that fourth scorer we need...
He's 25 but can only score less then 12 points a game with 30 minutes of time? On the Hawks? No thanks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:54 PM

and that's not the case at all. Smith never started at the 2. He never started last year.

Carter-Iverson-Anthony-Martin-Camby - That was the starting lineup. Carter started 67 of the 70 games he played at PG last year. So how do you figure AI started at point every game?

Next time you sign up at a forum and pretend to be an agent, watch a few NBA games first.

:corn:

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2008, 10:55 PM

And I'm not even exactly how well Childress will help us out. He's not exactly that fourth scorer we need...
He's 25 but can only score less then 12 points a game with 30 minutes of time? On the Hawks? No thanks.

Yeah, I guess he meets the 'long three' criteria, but we're past that point as far as the needs of the Spurs go. We need someone to fill up the basket and keep Manu's minutes down until the playoffs roll around.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Oh shizzle.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM

I guess Carter was good enough to start when he was 192 years old...

AFBlue
07-08-2008, 11:03 PM
From Rocky Mountain News...

San Antonio might look at Smith after its offer to Corey Maggette has apparently fallen through. Maggette looks bound for Golden State.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/08/nuggets-hope-keep-najera/

But is it just more speculation? Has there been concrete evidence of interest from the FO?

ElNono
07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I'll admit to watching very little Nuggets' basketball this past season, but I believe that the criticism of J.R. Smith's defense is over-exaggerated - and he had very little trouble creating his own shot in the series against the Lakers (although granted they are not a defensive juggernaut).

I watched quite a bit at the end of the season, when they were fighting for survival against GSW. If by 'creating his own shot' you mean jacking up ill-advised treys, sure. Granted, he has turned into a very streaky shooter, and he is athletic.
But his basketball IQ is really down there, and he has had to apologize to teammates for screwups time and time again. I think Pop will already have a project to work on in G-Hill, and if he could have Posey for the same money, I'm pretty sure that's where he'll go.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 11:08 PM
I watched quite a bit at the end of the season, when they were fighting for survival against GSW. If by 'creating his own shot' you mean jacking up ill-advised treys, sure. Granted, he has turned into a very streaky shooter, and he is athletic.
But his basketball IQ is really down there, and he has had to apologize to teammates for screwups time and time again. I think Pop will already have a project to work on in G-Hill, and if he could have Posey for the same money, I'm pretty sure that's where he'll go.

Again, the sample size is VERY small but when I am referring to him creating his own shot, I am zeroing in on him slashing to the hoop on several occasions during that Lakers series in the Playoffs along with the pull-up jumpers that he hit.

timvp
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
From Rocky Mountain News...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/08/nuggets-hope-keep-najera/

But is it just more speculation? Has there been concrete evidence of interest from the FO?Good find. Tomorrow is the day to make the offer to JR Smith because it'll put the pressure on the Nuggets to act fast. We'll know soon whether he's Target 1A.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Good find. Tomorrow is the day to make the offer to JR Smith because it'll put the pressure on the Nuggets to act fast. We'll know soon whether he's Target 1A.

Would they go with a long term MLE deal or a short term one? A long term deal is just that: a long term commitment. But it also would lock in a young and talented swingman at an average price for the next 5 seasons. That might make matching more palatable for the Nuggets as they could see him as the 2 guard of the future after AI (whose contract ends next summer) is done.

A short term deal would mean that the Nuggets would likely have to face paying him a larger amount to retain him in the near future, after paying him double his salary in 2008-09 ($11 mil total) on top of all of the other $10+ mil contracts they have.

tav1
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Would they go with a long term MLE deal or a short term one? A long term deal is just that: a long term commitment. But it also would lock in a young and talented swingman at an average price for the next 5 seasons. That might make matching more palatable for the Nuggets as they could see him as the 2 guard of the future after AI (whose contract ends next summer) is done.

A short term deal would mean that the Nuggets would likely have to face paying him a larger amount to retain him in the near future, after paying him double his salary in 2008-09 ($11 mil total) on top of all of the other $10+ mil contracts they have.

Smart thinking. But I don't think the Spurs jepordize 2010--in other words they'll have to build in a TO after year two regardless.

50 cent
07-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Technically, it's July 9th EST time, so I think we could have already made the offer.

ducks
07-08-2008, 11:20 PM
sign jr smith to a 5 year offer and front load the deal
and load alot of incentives in it

Mavs<Spurs
07-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Good find. Tomorrow is the day to make the offer to JR Smith because it'll put the pressure on the Nuggets to act fast. We'll know soon whether he's Target 1A.

I'm concerned.

I hope we get Smith. We need points!

We need Manu to be healthy! What do we have to do play him 25 minutes every other game?

And Tim's efficiency in the playoff's was not good. He needs more help and easy looks. Tony is doing a great job of getting him those looks from what I saw, but others not so much.

That series against the Lakers was pathetic.

And whatever about it being the furthest we had been after a title defense, this looked like a really bad, old team.

This was not a narrow loss in a close 7 game series.

We got hammered by the softy Lakers.

:bang

And it's not going to be any better this year unless we make some upgrades!

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Spurs wont get JR, but i dont think the Nuggets keep him now.

The way it has played out so far, i think the clipps or warriors do something stupid and throw MLE+ money at him

tav1
07-08-2008, 11:30 PM

The way it has played out so far, i think the clipps or warriors do something stupid and throw MLE+ money at him

Damn it, you might be right about the Clippers. They could offer him more than the MLE and pair him with Boom Dizzle. F. U. C. K. That's what happens in the morning. No question.

Someone get me a drink and the number to Delfino's agent.

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 11:31 PM

I think that if they were going to throw their cap space around, it would be for higher graded RFAs like AI, Josh Smith, Josh Childress or Emeka Okafor.

T Park
07-08-2008, 11:31 PM

Warriors just gave their capspace to Maggette.

Clippers are supposedly going after Josh Smith.

tav1
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I think that if they were going to throw their cap space around, it would be for higher graded RFAs like AI, Josh Smith, Josh Childress or Emeka Okafor.

No, the Clips know they can't get those guys unless they do something insane like offering Josh Smith Elton Brand money. They can get J. R. Smith because Denver is bleeding money.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-08-2008, 11:33 PM
really? josh smith? I doubt the Hawks dont match but it will be interesting to see.

Spurtacus
07-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Small chance we get JR imo. If I was the Spurs, I would concentrate on other free agents.

tav1
07-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Warriors just gave their capspace to Maggette.

Clippers are supposedly going after Josh Smith.

How much will they offer Josh Smith, do you know?

Kindergarten Cop
07-08-2008, 11:36 PM
No, the Clips know they can't get those guys unless they do something insane like offering Josh Smith Elton Brand money. They can get J. R. Smith because Denver is bleeding money.

IMHO, they go after a big - especially after losing Brand. That is why I think they would be more compelled to go after AI, Okafor or Smith.

50 cent
07-08-2008, 11:45 PM

The Warriors now have Maggette, SJax, and Monta Ellis.

Why the hell would they go after another SG?

ducks
07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
they love small ball

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-08-2008, 11:54 PM
exactly ducks. They could very well play sjax at PF :lol Nellie is crazy

homer
07-08-2008, 11:57 PM
we HAVE to sign one of these guys or we are fucked. talk about when it rains it pours...first splitter and now this.

some of you doomsday Spurs fans just really chap my ass. Granted, it would be nice to get a good free agent to join the spurs, but all is not lost if we don't. I was all for us getting Damon and Finley, but neither(especially Damon) has impressed me very much. You never really know what you're gonna get until the seasons over, so anyone we get may be a dud. IMO, if Hill is anything like his stats show he is, he is better than anything left in the FA market and should be considered for the starting 2 guard position and a backup PG. Throw in the other draft picks and Ian and we have a good team. I will still be a Spurs fan just as I have been since 73. Win or lose. I think about 1/2 of the posters on this board jumped on the bandwagon only since the Spurs started winning championships and have never gone through the bad times. It really does make me sick reading some of your posts. Play the hand you're dealt and man up.:ihit

TheMadHatter
07-09-2008, 12:07 AM
If I were the Spurs I'd concentrate on getting Azubike from GSW. Solid defensive and offensive player, great character, hard worker, and very young. Has a lot of upside and potential to be a good role player in this league.

JR Smith is nothing but a head-case and I guarantee you whatever team gets him will regret it.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Why does everyone hype Azubuike so bad??? I do not get it. I watched almost every Warrior game and he did an ok job. He is no better than Finley for us and deserves no where near MLE money...

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 12:18 AM
its the next best thing besides JR Smith

Manufan909
07-09-2008, 12:33 AM
If we only get someone on a Najera/Delfino level, would it be too insane to say we could still look to a couple of our draft picks+Ian to make a big splash?

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
could be a long regular season and a short post season.

:bang

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2008, 12:36 AM
If we only get someone on a Najera/Delfino level, would it be too insane to say we could still look to a couple of our draft picks+Ian to make a big splash?

we're too good to get good picks, but too bad to compete with what we have for a championship (barring a healthy Manu and an efficient Tim Duncan and the odds of both of those happening from here on out is just remote quite honestly!)

dat's da truth !

:ihit

spurman20
07-09-2008, 12:37 AM

Neither team will go after him, G State must keep its own FAs and they already have a glut at the wing, and the Clips just drafted SG with the 7th pick so I dont think smith has many teams that will be after him, Houston maybe, San Ant maybe, thats it!

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM
If I were the Spurs I'd concentrate on getting Azubike from GSW. Solid defensive and offensive player, great character, hard worker, and very young. Has a lot of upside and potential to be a good role player in this league.

JR Smith is nothing but a head-case and I guarantee you whatever team gets him will regret it.

You may be right on the money.

It could be that our best days are behind us.

I hope not.

:wow

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Neither team will go after him, G State must keep its own FAs and they already have a glut at the wing, and the Clips just drafted SG with the 7th pick so I dont think smith has many teams that will be after him, Houston maybe, San Ant maybe, thats it!

Are you the agent that Kori was warning us about?

:lmao

Manufan909
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
How Lakers fans can possibly talk smack after seeing their hero get raped in the ass on national television by 39 POINTS is beyond me.

And with the ease Ray Allen got to the hole against Sasha, it's now obvious to all that a healthy Manu would've tore though the Laker defense like Kobe does to white female hotel employees.
:stfu

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 12:54 AM
DARK TIMES IN SAN ANTONIO:lol

Nah, dark times is knowing your team isn't good enough to ever win a championship with Kobe Bryant.

Manufan909
07-09-2008, 12:57 AM
double owned!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMadHatter
07-09-2008, 01:16 AM
The Lakers are good enough to win with Kobe. Do you really think last season was their best shot? Get real.

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2008, 01:28 AM
dude if we cant even get JRSMITH

might as well give him the MLE, just to see DENVER match it too put them over the luxury tax....

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
The Lakers are good enough to win with Kobe.

When did losing a series 4-1 become winning? Because last time I checked, since Kobe became the sole player in LA, he has lead the Lakers to no playoffs, first round exit, first round exit and a finals lose with PAU GASOL.

Yeah... they're "good enough." :lol

TheMadHatter
07-09-2008, 01:50 AM
When did losing a series 4-1 become winning? Because last time I checked, since Kobe became the sole player in LA, he has lead the Lakers to no playoffs, first round exit, first round exit and a finals lose with PAU GASOL.

They lost 4-2 to the Celtics. Your Spurs lost to the Lakers 4-1.

The last 3 seasons Kobe has had absolute garbage teammates whilst LAL was in rebuilding mode. Nobody could have taken a team starting Kwame Brown and Smush Parker anywhere in the playoffs. The fact that they made the playoffs is a testament to how unbelievable Kobe was during those years.

They made it to the Finals the 1st season Kobe finally had some real help around him. All this without their starting Center Andrew Bynum. The Lakers are in great shape, Kobe did a phenomenal job of leading the team this year throughout the various roster changes and injuries that came to key players. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply a Kobe-hater, which is understandable because he single-handedly destroyed your team in the playoffs.

OleMissMike
07-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Listen you guys, the Spurs need to inject some kind of youth or atleast excitement to the team.

It's really hard watching Boston and LA adding pieces for next to nothing and go on to good things. If i were RC i'd realize that we dont have a 1st round draft pick next year and figure out we need to make this 09 season happen or TP is and the rest are going to realize what we have to work with...

Offer Sasha or Jr or Hayes 3 -4 million and get some new blood...

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 02:06 AM
They lost 4-2 to the Celtics. Your Spurs lost to the Lakers 4-1.

The last 3 seasons Kobe has had absolute garbage teammates whilst LAL was in rebuilding mode. Nobody could have taken a team starting Kwame Brown and Smush Parker anywhere in the playoffs. The fact that they made the playoffs is a testament to how unbelievable Kobe was during those years.

They made it to the Finals the 1st season Kobe finally had some real help around him. All this without their starting Center Andrew Bynum. The Lakers are in great shape, Kobe did a phenomenal job of leading the team this year throughout the various roster changes and injuries that came to key players. Anyone who believes otherwise is simply a Kobe-hater, which is understandable because he single-handedly destroyed your team in the playoffs.

The fact that I said the Lakers aren't ever winning shit with Kobe seems to have flew over your pea size brain and head. I never denied his accomplishments this season. I said he'd never win anything, nor the Lakers.

All you've done is establish that.

FYI, what single handedly destroyed the Spurs was Manu's injuries.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 02:08 AM
The fact of the matter is, whether Bynum was there or not, was that Kobe had by far enough talent to win that finals and he flat out choked. His team quit. No other team had the luxury of having a major player hurt (Bynum) and getting an all-star (Gasol) to fill in. Lakers were in first in the West when Bynum went down, meaning they were in contention to win. They got a more than capable replacement in due time with Gasol and had a great year, but lost in the finals. Do not give me that bullshit that it did not matter, or you did not expect them to win. Getting Gasol and Bynum next year is a fucking bonus, but does not mask the fact Kobe, with "bullets" as he so succinctly put it could not get it done.

Mavs<Spurs
07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Lakers are a great team, but won't win a championship with Gasol at center. He's too soft and won't hedge and hard screen!

He kept letting Pierce into the paint!

:nope

brettn
07-09-2008, 02:25 AM
All this talk about kobe and gasol and bynum is masked by the fact that some idiot that started this thread thinks JR Smith is the key to the Spurs winning another title. Get fucking real, please.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 02:26 AM
All this talk about kobe and gasol and bynum is masked by the fact that some idiot that started this thread thinks JR Smith is the key to the Spurs winning another title. Get fucking real, please.

That's true, JR Smith isn't the key. Manu, Tim and Tony are.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 02:29 AM
He is not the key, but could be an integral part of the process, especially if he takes it upon himself to defend, like when he got mad a Kobe. Even though Kobe torched him in the playoffs, he did not back down and took the challenge when no one else would. I am sure he has the feeling that he does not want to get torched again...

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 02:30 AM
and with the Spurs, he would have people to back his ass up.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Maggette wasn't a realistic option at the start of the offseason. Spurs are basically in the same situation than before the offseason.

Things haven't gone worse, for the moment...

Exactly. Everyone got all excited about Maggette and forgot that this is the Spurs... how long have y'all been Spurs fans? We rarely make a splash in the FA market.

There will be a few smart additions from here on in, and the swingman will be from the list we've all been discussing for a month... Aza, Barnes, Delfino, etc. (personally, I think JR is unlikely).

I'm staying away from ST until it's all settled because I can't stand the over-the-top sky-is-falling bullshit that overtakes so many fans of all teams at this time of year. :rolleyes

It's out of our hands - lets just trust that our FO guys know what they are doing. 3 rings in 6 years tells me they're pretty decent at their jobs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 08:38 AM
...this leaves San Antonio and Boston with their full mid-level exceptions in play. Both teams will likely give a look at Celtics free agent James Posey, and the Spurs will likely look at Nuggets restricted free agent J.R. Smith, whom the Spurs have had interest in for several years.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/35945-orlando-magic-sign-mickael-pietrus-corey-maggette-joins-golden-state-warriors

50 cent
07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

Like somebody else said, he obviously isn't the key (manu, tony, and tim are), but he fills a hole that needs to be filled desperately on this team.

Somebody like JR Smith instead of Michael Finley would have had the Spurs in the Finals this past year.

Shit, the guy averaged 12.3ppg coming off the fucking bench last year and only playing 19.2MPG. He shot 41% from the field and 40% from 3 point range.

That's Manu'esque.

BacktoBasics
07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Exactly. Everyone got all excited about Maggette and forgot that this is the Spurs... how long have y'all been Spurs fans? We rarely make a splash in the FA market.

There will be a few smart additions from here on in, and the swingman will be from the list we've all been discussing for a month... Aza, Barnes, Delfino, etc. (personally, I think JR is unlikely).

I'm staying away from ST until it's all settled because I can't stand the over-the-top sky-is-falling bullshit that overtakes so many fans of all teams at this time of year. :rolleyes

It's out of our hands - lets just trust that our FO guys know what they are doing. 3 rings in 6 years tells me they're pretty decent at their jobs.Althought I don't completely disagree with you the Spurs were fortunate with their drafting and what was once a very dominate team that could easily skate by each summer by adding small pieces is now getting older. They haven't struck lightning in the draft recently and still after all this time can't land tier 1 or tier 2 FA. Adding small pieces isn't going to result in any better success next season. If they can't find some youth they might be forced to bite the bullet and make a trade because thats all thats left.

In particularly this year with the Olympics because I don't see an aging team having any better legs late in the post season.

I don't believe the sky is falling and this team as it sits will compete but they won't contend with out change. You can't ride it forever you have to grow and this team has been stagnant for about two years.

I also think the 2010 plan is horseshit. They should jocky more for trading position than FA's position. How many times do they need to see FA not sign here to realize that clearing cap space for max players isn't the answer.

manufor3
07-09-2008, 10:19 AM

They could pull off some kind of trade so there could be easier to smith.

wildbill2u
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Were we a better team last year than the year before?

Were other teams in the West-- such as LA, Houston, etc.-- better last year than the year before?

Are other teams in the West getting markedly better this year through draft, trades and FAs?

Can the Spurs win the West without getting better this year, eg. was last year bad luck with injuries and we can get by withthe status quo?

In my opinion, we have to get markedly better to stay in the hunt and the FAs still available are either unlikely to fall to us or not what we need.

O-Factor
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM

LeBron took the Celtics to 7 games with a lesser supporting cast and coach.

LeBron>Kobe

Sissiborgo
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd like to JR.Smith play for spurs!:king

50 cent
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
They could pull off some kind of trade so there could be easier to smith.

With who? Pretty much every team is now over the cap (besides the clippers who likely don't want any of the Thuggets) which means teams would have to send back equal value.

Of course, Denver could take a small trade exception in exchange for Kleiza, but that isn't going to happen.

pad300
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
With who? Pretty much every team is now over the cap (besides the clippers who likely don't want any of the Thuggets) which means teams would have to send back equal value.

Of course, Denver could take a small trade exception in exchange for Kleiza, but that isn't going to happen.

Try to get them coming and going - Put a full MLE bid in for Smith, and then offer them the Beno TE for Kleiza... Either would work our pretty well for us.

callo1
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Any team with a Duncan, Parker and Ginobili together is a serious contender. Acting like its JR Smith or SA will not contend for anything the rest of the Duncan era is bullshit

I couldn't agree more.

Some of you doom and gloomers crack me up:)

I really like Azubuike more than Smith, but Smith would probably help the Spurs more because of his ability to shoot the three. Smith never met a shot he didn't like, and I wonder how his game would translate in a Spurs uniform. On one hand, we have always had trouble in the TD era with new players not being agressive and being timid in trying to fit into the offense, so maybe Smith would be great, on the other hand, if he jacks up some of that crap he did in Denver, Pops head would explode.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM

:clap

hater
07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
JR = Overrated

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
JR = Overrated

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Some of you doom and gloomers crack me up:)

I really like Azubuike more than Smith, but Smith would probably help the Spurs more because of his ability to shoot the three. Smith never met a shot he didn't like, and I wonder how his game would translate in a Spurs uniform. On one hand, we have always had trouble in the TD era with new players not being agressive and being timid in trying to fit into the offense, so maybe Smith would be great, on the other hand, if he jacks up some of that crap he did in Denver, Pops head would explode.

You people really need to follow your hearts, and quit listening to that idiot box in your head that's telling you to sign the likes of JR Smith and Ron Artest

Fuggetaboutit already, neither of those guys are gonna do jack shit in a spurs uniform. Azubuike otoh, will.

Mr. Body
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
JR Smith is the most overrated would-be Spurs savior of all time. Even more than Ira Newble circa 2002.

Taking it to the Hole
07-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I just got a weird feeling every free agent is going to blow us off this offseason. We won't get JR Smith just like we didn't get Maggette. These guys want to get paid, not win, that is the bottom line. And this is the first place you come if you want to win and the last place you come to if you want to get paid. It probably is better this way. Things tend to unfold as they should.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 02:11 PM
I just got a weird feeling every free agent is going to blow us off this offseason. We won't get JR Smith just like we didn't get Maggette. These guys want to get paid, not win, that is the bottom line. And this is the first place you come if you want to win and the last place you come to if you want to get paid. It probably is better this way. Things tend to unfold as they should.

Odds are pretty good JR is going to get paid exactly the same regardless of where he goes.

50 cent
07-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I think JR could potentially be the most underrated and overrated Spur (if he comes) all at the same time!

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm looking for ANY actual news on this guy and I find nada....nothing but speculation. And I'm not even limiting my search to the Spurs.

What's the deal.....Does no team have the balls to test the Nuggets FO? Does any team think JR is worth it?

Budkin
07-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Anyone we sign will be underrated and everyone that we don't will be overrated.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Here is an interesting blog with some nice facts about teams that offer QO's to rookies coming off their contracts....Maybe this is a sign that J.R. is there for the taking

http://www.blogabull.com/2008/7/9/567917/the-qualifying-offer-and-y

The Qualifying Offer and you

Blogabull_s_tiny by your friendly BullsBlogger on Jul 9, 2008 10:27 AM CDT

There's been a lot of comments lately regarding Deng&Gordon and the Qualifying Offer without realizing how poor an option that is for both sides.

First of all, it makes the player believe he's not coming back, and the team treating the player like they're not coming back. Maybe it's a self-fufilling prophecy, but it's borne out that they don't come back. (thanks to paxson43 in the comments)

Follow that link: since 2000, there's only been 4 players coming off their rookie-scale contracts that signed the QO. That's 4 out of 124 eligible draftees. All of them (with Pietrus signing yesterday) wound up on other teams, and only (in the case of Radmanovic) was the team able to deal the player in that season for something (Chris Wilcox).

And it's hard to deal a player under the QO because: " if the player is playing under a one-year contract and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the contract, he can't be traded without his consent. If consent is granted and the player is traded, then he loses his Larry Bird or Early Bird rights, and enters free agency as a Non-Bird free agent."

The Bird rights are basically a team's ability to go over the salary cap to sign their own free agents. With the way the capped-out NBA is, that's the only way for many of these players to get above the mid-level, either with their own team or through sign/trade.

So, just a reminder when bringing it up: the QO is really a last-resort option, and pretty much a failure in negotiation.

Tully365
07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Fixed.

Obviously I didn't call for the big 3 to be traded. So your solution is "do nothing"?

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
i really dont see a big need for someone like JR Smith on our team.

nil.ball
07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
brent barry playing with one arm tied behind his back has a better efficiency rating than JR smith.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Azubuike and Barry are my main guys right now

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Azubuike and Barry are my main guys right now

That would be a pretty good offseason. :tu

Indazone
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
The only thing the Spurs need is a starting calibur Center. Make Oberto your backup and you are set to go. Everyone else in the Spurs lineup is a high calibur player. Bowen is a defensive stalwart so you need him. Duncan, Manu, Parker are all really good. Your bench is a bit weak so I'd look at improving the bench and getting a really good Center. If you had some cap space imagine what Okafor would look like playing next to Duncan.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 05:31 PM
JR Smith is 10 times the player Azubuike is, he has a skill set that even if Azubuike worked his ass of for 10 years could never achieve. Buike is a hard worker but does not solve our need for scoring and/or defense at the 2/3 position.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
JR Smith is 10 times the player Azubuike is, he has a skill set that even if Azubuike worked his ass of for 10 years could never achieve. Buike is a hard worker but does not solve our need for scoring and/or defense at the 2/3 position.

Outside of JR shooting about 4% better from three, Kelenna's stats are basically a carbon copy of JR's, with double the blocks per game to boot in Kelenna's favor.

He's also a better defender than Smith (or at least, has shown a higher propensity for playing it).

I hate it when people talk out their ass to run a player down just because they haven't heard of a guy, or because said player is in a comparison with someone whose name is more recognizeable to them.

Kelenna doesn't need to work his ass off, if you told him to be a ball hog and shoot it every time he got the rock you'd have J.R. Smith without the shitty attitude.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Damn, can the Spurs just fuckin sign Kelenna already? :lol

ducks
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM

yeah beings manu plays 40 minutes a game:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

ducks
07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
does jr really have a shitty attitude?
he had problems in the past but last year melo had the problems on that team not jr

ducks
07-09-2008, 06:08 PM

did you watch the wcf?

Spurtacus
07-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Learn from Maggette. Move on. Azubuike should be our target.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Agreed here. Azubuike > JR Rider .. err JR Smith :p:

ElNono
07-09-2008, 06:22 PM
does jr really have a shitty attitude?
he had problems in the past but last year melo had the problems on that team not jr

Exactly How JR Smith Tears the Club Up
Posted Oct 25th 2007 12:55PM by Bethlehem Shoals
Filed under: Nuggets, Western, NBA Police Blotter, Denver, The Word

I know I promised yesterday that there would be no more J.R. Smith coverage. But we've got some lurid details that make the whole story a little more fun. Or depressing. Or indicative of the decline of Western civilization.

From the Rocky Mountain News:

Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith ran afoul of the law by pouring champagne on a woman at a nightclub, then briefly apologizing before spitting on her, shoving her and tearing her dress, court records show.

[...] The woman called police, who arrived to find her in the torn dress. She had no other apparent injuries, the report said ... Smith, 22, then told the officer "he was very (drunk and) doesn't remember everything" that happened at the club, according to the officer's notes on the summons.

That's awful, and reprehensible ... and kind of funny. I like that he apologized, and then started spitting and shoving. If he'd said sorry and walked away, then we'd be celebrating him like he was Shawne Merriman. Among the many things Smith needs to figure out--and fast--is that pro athletes can't really get trashed and wile out like ordinary dudes. It might be a double standard, but it's the kind of wisdom his very career's depending on.

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/25/exactly-how-jr-smith-tears-the-club-up/)

Spurtacus
07-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Exactly How JR Smith Tears the Club Up
Posted Oct 25th 2007 12:55PM by Bethlehem Shoals
Filed under: Nuggets, Western, NBA Police Blotter, Denver, The Word

I know I promised yesterday that there would be no more J.R. Smith coverage. But we've got some lurid details that make the whole story a little more fun. Or depressing. Or indicative of the decline of Western civilization.

From the Rocky Mountain News:

Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith ran afoul of the law by pouring champagne on a woman at a nightclub, then briefly apologizing before spitting on her, shoving her and tearing her dress, court records show.
[...] The woman called police, who arrived to find her in the torn dress. She had no other apparent injuries, the report said ... Smith, 22, then told the officer "he was very (drunk and) doesn't remember everything" that happened at the club, according to the officer's notes on the summons.

That's awful, and reprehensible ... and kind of funny. I like that he apologized, and then started spitting and shoving. If he'd said sorry and walked away, then we'd be celebrating him like he was Shawne Merriman. Among the many things Smith needs to figure out--and fast--is that pro athletes can't really get trashed and wile out like ordinary dudes. It might be a double standard, but it's the kind of wisdom his very career's depending on.

LINK (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/25/exactly-how-jr-smith-tears-the-club-up/)

ducks
07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
if he was in a playoff hunt he would not have time to be drunk
he would be fine away from george karl

TJastal
07-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Please go research who Kelenna Azubuike is, at least go watch some clips and interviews of this guy on youtube, there's even one clip of him soundly rejecting none other than JR Smith at the top of the rim.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1muMt3Q-k

This guy has at least equal talent to Smith and his attitude and personality are 100% better.

Spurs Brazil
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Nuggets
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Originally published 12:44 p.m., July 9, 2008
Updated 12:44 p.m., July 9, 2008

Garrett Ellwood / Nbae/Getty Images

Anthony Carter said he will sign his new contract with Denver on Wednesday or Thursday.
The free-agent point guard told the Rocky Mountain News on Wednesday he will sign a one-year deal for the NBA minimum of $1.26 million. Carter said he will either sign his contract Wednesday or Thursday when he goes to Las Vegas to do some work with the Nuggets’ summer league team.

“I like Denver,’’ Carter said. “It’s somewhere I’m comfortable with. I just think that we have a chance to do some good things in the playoffs.’’

Carter had sought a multi-year contract, but was told by the luxury-tax strapped Nuggets last weekend that he wouldn’t be offered that. Carter said his agent, Bill Duffy, told him that New York looked willing to offer a contract, possibly one worth $1.9 million for next season, but Carter said he wanted to stay in Denver.

“I wanted a multi-year contract, but you’ve got to look at the situation here,’’ said Carter, who made his final decision this morning. “I’m happy in Denver. I’m ready to work my butt off.’’

Carter became the starting point guard last season when Chucky Atkins got injured, and surprisingly averaged 7.8 points and 5.5 assists. Atkins has vowed to be this season’s starter.

“I’m coming in looking to start,’’ said Carter, 33, a nine-year veteran. “But it’s going to be a battle. Having both of us will give us lot of firepower.’’

TWednesday is the first day that free agents can sign contracts.

Subscribe to the Rocky Mountain News
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/09/point-guard-carter-top-sign-one-year-deal-nuggets/

tav1
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM

It's not funny; it's because of things like this that he won't be a Spur. This is the first time I've read this account, and my guess is that he's not on the radar. Pop and Duncan aren't gonna suffer fools. I'd far prefer Artest.

At this point, Smith is the most talented guy available and a great fit for the offense, but reading this makes me hope for a combination of Delfino and Azubuike.

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Azubuike/Ginobli/Delfino
Bowen/Udoka/Hairston
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Oberto/Thomas
Gist/Horry

I'd take that. And if healthy, they could win a championship. The draw back is 5 new guys to the system, three of which are rookies. But you have to bite that bullet sometime.

ElNono
07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
It's not funny; it's because of things like this that he won't be a Spur. This is the first time I've read this account, and my guess is that he's not on the radar. Pop and Duncan aren't gonna suffer fools. I'd far prefer Artest.

This is what I meant when I said I would be surprised if the FO is looking at this guy. He definitely has character issues, and the Spurs have historically stayed away from guys like him. I'm sure Pop would rather put his money somewhere else (like Posey)

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Spurs sign Mason....JR Smith out the window.

duncan228
07-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I didn't see this anywhere, sorry if it's a double post.
And it's Hoopsworld, so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9420

Free Agent Watch: Day 9
By: Preetom Bhattacharya

Spurs and J.R.: The San Antonio Spurs have plenty of interest in J.R. Smith, the restricted free agent guard of the Denver Nuggets. Smith's athleticism and ability to shoot the three-pointer are particularly valuable to a Spurs franchise that is looking to infuse some youth to an aging roster. The Spurs heavily pursued Corey Maggette with the hopes of acquiring another option on the wing and are expected to now shift their attention to Smith, who they tried to acquire for Brent Barry at the 2006 trade deadline when he was still with the New Orleans Hornets. The question for the Spurs will be whether they can help groom this young man into a consistently productive ball player – he's had his troubles in the past, but so did Stephen Jackson, who the Spurs reeled in and won a championship with. His defense will have to improve under Gregg Popovich as well.

rj215
07-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I didn't see this anywhere, sorry if it's a double post.
And it's Hoopsworld, so take it for what it's worth.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9420

Free Agent Watch: Day 9
By: Preetom Bhattacharya

Spurs and J.R.: The San Antonio Spurs have plenty of interest in J.R. Smith, the restricted free agent guard of the Denver Nuggets. Smith's athleticism and ability to shoot the three-pointer are particularly valuable to a Spurs franchise that is looking to infuse some youth to an aging roster. The Spurs heavily pursued Corey Maggette with the hopes of acquiring another option on the wing and are expected to now shift their attention to Smith, who they tried to acquire for Brent Barry at the 2006 trade deadline when he was still with the New Orleans Hornets. The question for the Spurs will be whether they can help groom this young man into a consistently productive ball player – he's had his troubles in the past, but so did Stephen Jackson, who the Spurs reeled in and won a championship with. His defense will have to improve under Gregg Popovich as well.

unless it's a sign and trade (unlikely) we (probably) got no shot at JR....

duncan228
07-09-2008, 11:54 PM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/07/san_antonio_fad.html

San Antonio fades as possible J.R. Smith landing spot
By Chris Tomasson

When free agent Corey Maggette spurned the Spurs, it appeared to be good news for J.R. Smith. There was talk San Antonio might turn to the Nuggets restricted free-agent guard as a backup plan.

But the Spurs, after Maggette bolted to Golden State, instead decided on a sure thing. They agreed to sign Washington unrestricted free-agent guard Roger Mason Jr. to a two-year, $7.5 million contract.

So Smith continues to wait.

One wonders if it will be a long wait for Smith. The luxury-tax strapped Nuggets don't figure to swoop in with a big deal for Smith, and he remains a risk for teams to sign.
The initial risk is that the Nuggets would match any reasonable offer, meaning a team would have to overpay Smith. And does a team really want to overpay for a player whose career has been marked by erratic incidents on and off the court, although Smith was a solid citizen while playing well at the end of last season?

Smith could end up an ideal candidate to take the one-year qualifying offer of $3.04 million and become an unrestricted free agent next summer. He could have an extra year to show he has matured, and, without being a restricted free agent, might find better offers.

In addition, the Nuggets next summer might be more willing to give Smith a bigger deal. Allen Iverson's $20.84 million contract comes off the books, and, if Iverson doesn't return, or re-signs for much less, Denver's luxury-tax situation won't be as bad.
But don't expect Smith to announce he's returning for the qualifying offer any time soon. If it happens, it most likely would be a September decision.