PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs Miss Out On Maggette

Blackjack
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM
NBA: Spurs miss out on Maggette

Web Posted: 07/09/2008 12:23 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs on Tuesday night got caught in the undertow of a tidal wave of free agency misfortune that swamped the hapless Los Angeles Clippers and scuttled their dreams of returning to significance in the NBA's Western Conference.

When All-Star power forward Elton Brand, an unrestricted free agent who was the Clippers' best player, reportedly agreed to sign with the Philadelphia 76ers, the decision had a domino effect on other players and other teams, including the Spurs.

The Clippers had reached a verbal agreement a week ago with Golden State Warriors unrestricted free agent Baron Davis to bring the star point guard to L.A. The team also hoped to re-sign Brand, who had opted out of the final season of a contract that was to pay him $16.4 million, for a lesser amount, a deal that reportedly was to begin at about $15 million per season.

Pairing Brand and Davis would have required the Clippers to renounce their rights to swingman Corey Maggette, an athletic veteran who last season averaged 22.4 points.

The Spurs were believed to be the frontrunners among several elite teams, including the NBA champion Boston Celtics, which were willing to give Maggette a contract beginning at the mid-level salary cap exception of roughly $5.85 million for the 2008-09 season.

Spurned by Davis, the Warriors became players in the bidding for unrestricted free agents by renouncing their rights to the point guard. That gave them room under the NBA's salary cap to make a lucrative offer to Brand.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Brand instead opted to accept a five-year, $80 million offer from the 76ers.

Spurned again, the Warriors turned to Maggette, getting a verbal agreement to accept a five-year deal for about $50 million, according to the Times.

NBA teams can begin signing free agent players today, but the market for athletic guard-forwards appears to be shrinking. In addition to Maggette's removal from the list, Warriors swing man Mickael Pietrus reportedly has agreed to a deal with a new team. Florida Today reported that the Orlando Magic have a verbal agreement with Pietrus.

Pietrus' agent, Bill McCandless, told reporters in Orlando that several other teams, including the Spurs, had expressed interest in Pietrus.

According to NBA sources, the Spurs also have expressed interest in Wizards swingman Roger Mason, Jr., and Celtics guard-forward James Posey.

The Spurs' success in finding an athletic wing player on the free-agent market figures to affect their decision-making about some of their own free agents. Brent Barry, the 3-point ace who helped the Spurs win two titles in his four seasons with the club, opted out of the final year of his contract on June 30. He has talked with the Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers and Suns but has not ruled out returning to the Spurs.

Barry is one of four members of the Spurs' regular playing rotation on the free-agent market. Also free to sign with any team are center-forward Kurt Thomas, swingman Michael Finley, who started 61 games last season, and forward Robert Horry.

Thomas, who made $8 million last season, told the Express-News on Monday he owed it to his family to explore his options, but hoped things would work out to allow him to return to San Antonio.

Should the Spurs get shut out of the free agent market, they will look to first-round draft pick George Hill, a combination guard, to help them improve enough to return to The NBA Finals. Hill, limited to a contract specified by the NBA’s rookie salary scale, is expected to sign with the team this summer. On draft night, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich indicated his belief Hill will be Parker’s primary backup next season.

“He’s a really solid player at both ends of the court,” Popovich said. “I honestly believe he will make our team better right off the bat.”

[email protected]

duncan228
07-09-2008, 12:49 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.070908.1C_P1_Monroe_NBA.en.4436335.html

Mike Monroe

The Spurs on Tuesday night got caught in the undertow of a tidal wave of free agency misfortune that swamped the hapless Los Angeles Clippers and scuttled their dreams of returning to significance in the NBA's Western Conference.

When All-Star power forward Elton Brand, an unrestricted free agent who was the Clippers' best player, reportedly agreed to sign with the Philadelphia 76ers, the decision had a domino effect on other players and other teams, including the Spurs.

The Clippers had reached a verbal agreement a week ago with Golden State Warriors unrestricted free agent Baron Davis to bring the star point guard to L.A. The team also hoped to re-sign Brand, who had opted out of the final season of a contract that was to pay him $16.4 million, for a lesser amount, a deal that reportedly was to begin at about $15 million per season.

Pairing Brand and Davis would have required the Clippers to renounce their rights to swingman Corey Maggette, an athletic veteran who last season averaged 22.4 points.

The Spurs were believed to be the frontrunners among several elite teams, including the NBA champion Boston Celtics, which were willing to give Maggette a contract beginning at the mid-level salary cap exception of roughly $5.85 million for the 2008-09 season.

Spurned by Davis, the Warriors became players in the bidding for unrestricted free agents by renouncing their rights to the point guard. That gave them room under the NBA's salary cap to make a lucrative offer to Brand.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Brand instead opted to accept a five-year, $80 million offer from the 76ers.

Spurned again, the Warriors turned to Maggette, getting a verbal agreement to accept a five-year deal for about $50 million, according to the Times.

NBA teams can begin signing free agent players today, but the market for athletic guard-forwards appears to be shrinking. In addition to Maggette's removal from the list, Warriors swing man Mickael Pietrus reportedly has agreed to a deal with a new team. Florida Today reported that the Orlando Magic have a verbal agreement with Pietrus.

Pietrus' agent, Bill McCandless, told reporters in Orlando that several other teams, including the Spurs, had expressed interest in Pietrus.

According to NBA sources, the Spurs also have expressed interest in Wizards swingman Roger Mason, Jr., and Celtics guard-forward James Posey.

The Spurs' success in finding an athletic wing player on the free-agent market figures to affect their decision-making about some of their own free agents. Brent Barry, the 3-point ace who helped the Spurs win two titles in his four seasons with the club, opted out of the final year of his contract on June 30. He has talked with the Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers and Suns but has not ruled out returning to the Spurs.

Barry is one of four members of the Spurs' regular playing rotation on the free-agent market. Also free to sign with any team are center-forward Kurt Thomas, swingman Michael Finley, who started 61 games last season, and forward Robert Horry.

Thomas, who made $8 million last season, told the Express-News on Monday he owed it to his family to explore his options, but hoped things would work out to allow him to return to San Antonio.

Should the Spurs get shut out of the free agent market, they will look to first-round draft pick George Hill, a combination guard, to help them improve enough to return to The NBA Finals. Hill, limited to a contract specified by the NBA’s rookie salary scale, is expected to sign with the team this summer. On draft night, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich indicated his belief Hill will be Parker’s primary backup next season.

“He’s a really solid player at both ends of the court,” Popovich said. “I honestly believe he will make our team better right off the bat.”

Russ
07-09-2008, 12:52 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.070908.1C_P1_Monroe_NBA.en.4436335.html

Mike Monroe
Should the Spurs get shut out of the free agent market, they will look to first-round draft pick George Hill, a combination guard, to help them improve enough to return to The NBA Finals.

:wow:wow:wow:wow

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Purposely exempting JR Smith's name?

Manufan909
07-09-2008, 12:55 AM
CIA Pop!!!

timvp
07-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Purposely exempting JR Smith's name?Perhaps telling the truth. We should find out soon.

Blackjack
07-09-2008, 12:57 AM
I SCOOPED DUNCAN228 BY A WHOLE MINUTE ON THIS POST!!!!!

Man this off-season was looking pretty bleak, but this totally makes up for it! :lmao :lmao :lmao

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Perhaps telling the truth.

I hope not.

duncan228
07-09-2008, 12:59 AM
I SCOOPED DUNCAN228 BY A WHOLE MINUTE ON THIS POST!!!!!

Man this off-season was looking pretty bleak, but this totally makes up for it! :lmao :lmao :lmao

:lmao

Blackjack
07-09-2008, 01:03 AM
:lmao

Sorry, humility is not my strong point. :toast

Damn... I feel like I just threw one down on Shaq! :lmao

Anti.Hero
07-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Another one bites the dust.

oh well

SCdac
07-09-2008, 01:19 AM
I had an unpleasant feeling that all the "Spurs are frontrunners" stuff was too good to be true. :depressed ... I cringed a little bit when reading those headlines, knowing that may be the closest we ever get to having Maggette in silver and black... Not that I thought we weren't ever Maggette's first option if he had to settle for the MLE, but of course, such a talent like him, that's not what happens.

LakerLanny
07-09-2008, 01:31 AM
The *purs will still be dangerous no matter who they get or don't get.

I expect it will come down to Lakers vs *purs again for all the marbles in the West next season. But there is no doubt Maggette would have been a huge signing for you.

Don't hate us when we sign James Posey. I think it is going to happen.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 01:33 AM
How old are you that you still in the year 2008 type the name Spurs with an *?

LakerLanny
07-09-2008, 01:35 AM
How old are you that you still in the year 2008 type the name Spurs with an *?

Habit.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Habit? Seriously? I didn't know you could form a habiting typing words.

Really, I'd just have to assume you lead a very pathetic life.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 01:38 AM
*akers vs kings in 2002
Spurs in 03 05 and 07 do not seem to have * by them

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 01:39 AM
*akers vs kings in 2002
Spurs in 03 05 and 07 do not seem to have * by them

Don't lower yourself to playing that mentally retarded game.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Just making a point how quickly people forget about the other titles and their own jaded past... Every team had an even chance to win in 99 and the Spurs gained no advantage by the shortened season. I will not forever go on like this cat using * all the time, just trying to impart some knowledge...

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 01:49 AM
The Spurs should've move quicker on Pietrus

angelbelow
07-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Don't lower yourself to playing that mentally retarded game.

:lol

TheMadHatter
07-09-2008, 01:51 AM
LMAO *purs. Phil Jackson always loves clowning on your team.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 01:52 AM

You like to live in the past too?

Ice009
07-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Habit.

Kings Vs ****** (Lakers)

Blackjack
07-09-2008, 01:57 AM
MadHatter could suck a god damn golf ball through a garden hose.

0201rinckwater
07-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Habit? Seriously? I didn't know you could form a habiting typing words.

Really, I'd just have to assume you lead a very pathetic life.

What's wrong with a pathetic life

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 01:59 AM
What's wrong with a pathetic life

Nothing to the person that lives it.

tmtcsc
07-09-2008, 02:15 AM
The Spurs should've move quicker on Pietrus

nah...he's getting over-paid. He's extremely athletic and a good help defender but he's not exactly what we need. We need consistent buckets from the bench. He's so so in that department.

LakerLanny
07-09-2008, 02:21 AM
nah...he's getting over-paid. He's extremely athletic and a good help defender but he's not exactly what we need. We need consistent buckets from the bench. He's so so in that department.

How about we help you out in that department? Vladamir Radmanovic for Bruce Bowen.....what do you think?

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 02:22 AM

I disagree..although extra scoring would be nice, the Spurs get plenty of open looks and good shots, they just do not go in some times. I think we need more defense because our D has slid to an unacceptable level (to championship standards). If you up the D back to the old level, you do not worry about the missed shots so much because other teams do not score as much. I would rather have an offense that struggles sometimes but constantly gets open looks than a D that is questionable. Open shots will eventually go in, but sliding performance on the defensive end spells disaster.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-09-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm sorry but I'm beyond perplexed as to how RC Buford still has a job? Guy's done nothing since drafting Tony Parker in 2001. He also dealt Luis Scola, a better player than Oberto, Horry, Thomas and Bonner combined because he wanted to pay Matt Bonner , one of the five worst NBA players 3M a season....I mean seriously, other than Mengke Bateer, is there a more useless Spur in the history of the franchise?

Like any great franchise, the problem with success is that it temporarily blankets incompetence. I have a feeling we'll be paying for Buford's countless brain farts for some time.

DynastyBuilder
07-09-2008, 08:41 AM

I'd be OK with that.

1Parker1
07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
This article basically says nothing. Interesting that there's no mention of JR Smith.

Goodness, the Spurs have now stooped to Roger Mason Jr. :depressed

TJastal
07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
I disagree..although extra scoring would be nice, the Spurs get plenty of open looks and good shots, they just do not go in some times. I think we need more defense because our D has slid to an unacceptable level (to championship standards). If you up the D back to the old level, you do not worry about the missed shots so much because other teams do not score as much. I would rather have an offense that struggles sometimes but constantly gets open looks than a D that is questionable. Open shots will eventually go in, but sliding performance on the defensive end spells disaster.

I agree! I'll furthur state as my belief the reason the spurs had so many scoring droughts last year was because of the team didn't have enough energy players off the bench.. resulting in more load on the big 3... and injuries resulted, and fatigue.

The big 3 with fresh legs can provide enough scoring for team, hence there is no need for a Corey Maggette type player. I think Michael Pietrus fit the bill much better, he would have been more productive in his minutes, with his superior defense and also gives the spurs a guy who will take the ball to the basket hard. Maggette is bit on the soft side for my liking in this regard.

Sissiborgo
07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I mean we should get some other free agent but i dont like pietrus... my opinion he cant do shit!:toast

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry but I'm beyond perplexed as to how RC Buford still has a job? Guy's done nothing since drafting Tony Parker in 2001. He also dealt Luis Scola, a better player than Oberto, Horry, Thomas and Bonner combined because he wanted to pay Matt Bonner , one of the five worst NBA players 3M a season....I mean seriously, other than Mengke Bateer, is there a more useless Spur in the history of the franchise?

Like any great franchise, the problem with success is that it temporarily blankets incompetence. I have a feeling we'll be paying for Buford's countless brain farts for some time.

He has made his share of bad moves here as of late. Dude has clearly been living off his Tony/Manu reputation for few seasons now. I remember ABC lauding him and the job he's done during the NBA finals. One year later and now the luster has worn off and the recent results (or lack thereof) are damning.

picnroll
07-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I agree! I'll furthur state as my belief the reason the spurs had so many scoring droughts last year was because of the team didn't have enough energy players off the bench.. resulting in more load on the big 3... and injuries resulted, and fatigue.

The big 3 with fresh legs can provide enough scoring for team, hence there is no need for a Corey Maggette type player. I think Michael Pietrus fit the bill much better, he would have been more productive in his minutes, with his superior defense and also gives the spurs a guy who will take the ball to the basket hard. Maggette is bit on the soft side for my liking in this regard.

Wrong.

Spurs had three reliable scorers, Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. At times two of them had to be off the floor resting leaving one decent scorer on the floor. Not going to accomplish much with one guy who can create. At times one or more of the three was hurt taking them totally out of the game or making them an ineffective scorer and placing a burden on the other two that was insurmountable, witness the Spurs - Lakers series.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Wrong.

Spurs had three reliable scorers, Duncan, Ginobili and Parker. At times two of them had to be off the floor resting leaving one decent scorer on the floor. Not going to accomplish much with one guy who can create. At times one or more of the three was hurt taking them totally out of the game or making them an ineffective scorer and placing a burden on the other two that was insurmountable, witness the Spurs - Lakers series.

we were a broken airplane and an injured Manu from getting back to the Finals

lefty
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM

I've enjoyed watching Phil Jackson being clowned by Larry Brown and Doc Rivers.... Doc Rivers ?

picnroll
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
we were a broken airplane and an injured Manu from getting back to the Finals
Maybe.

You don't want to have things hanging on all your key players being in perfect health player, particularly when your scrubs are a year older and declining exponentially.

tlongII
07-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Lanny is WACK if he thinks the Lakers are going to the Finals next year. It's all about the Blazers now.

TJastal
07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Maybe.

You don't want to have things hanging on all your key players being in perfect health player, particularly when your scrubs are a year older and declining exponentially.

"Perfect healthy player" .. yah that describes Corey Maggette... err NOT

beachwood
07-09-2008, 01:43 PM
This offseason will be a success if we get James Posey.

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Web Posted: 07/09/2008 12:23 AM CDT

Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

[email protected]

I'm going to call this the latest episode in the curse of SJax.

Think about it. All the attributes that Jax had are the ones we are missing: timely and clutch shooting, ability to slash to the basket, good FT shooter, fierce defender. He was the 3rd or 4th scorer on our 2003 championship team. :lobt2:

Regardless as to how or why he left, the Spurs have yet to replace the skills sets that he had, and have not adequately filled the void made from his departure. :bang

TJastal
07-09-2008, 05:25 PM
They might've gotten a SJax type player in Pietrus had they not been distracted by the whole Maggette dick sucking parade.

Just like I said initially about Maggette, all that fluff about wanting to play for contending team, when it came down to it he wanted to make sure he got his money first, no interest whatsoever about winning.

But whatever, you guys continue to believe what you want about Pietrus, we'll see how well he does on a team with good coaching and direction (the magic).

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
They might've gotten a SJax type player in Pietrus had they not been distracted by the whole Maggette dick sucking parade.

Just like I said initially about Maggette, all that fluff about wanting to play for contending team, when it came down to it he wanted to make sure he got his money first, no interest whatsoever about winning.

But whatever, you guys continue to believe what you want about Pietrus, we'll see how well he does on a team with good coaching and direction (the magic).

Pietrus is no where near the player S-Jax is. Jackson is a very smart player and can make a contending team into a championship one.

if theres one player i can see who is like Jackson would be James Posey.

DPG21920
07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Wrong.

Your wrong... Name another team that has 3 20 point scorers? We have plenty of scoring when you consider Barry can shoot and Finley can shoot and as a team we shoot an above average 3 point %. Any one who knows the Spurs knows the defense has slipped. If they play better D they do not expand so much more energy trying to have to get into their offense because they create better fast break opportunities and such. Every team has to rest their players and has to deal with injuries. Your Lakers-Spurs series is a terrible argument because they gave up 100+ points in 7 out of the 17 playoff games, that is 41%, that is way too much...Make no bones about it, although offense would greatly help, it means nothing without the D

TJastal
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Pietrus is no where near the player S-Jax is. Jackson is a very smart player and can make a contending team into a championship one.

if theres one player i can see who is like Jackson would be James Posey.

Not really seeing that comparison.

If your talking Bruce Bowen however, Posey is basically a spot up shooter just like him. No athleticism, but plays good hard nosed defense. Both can guard a wide range of people, but Posey has a little more size to defend post players better than Bowen, whereas Bowen can defend quicker point guards. Other than that, they are comparitively the same.

I see Pietrus as much more like Jackson. Where he excels, is he can really take it to the rim like few others in this league. And he can knock down a 3 ball occassionally. He has developed a rep as a solid defender and has the ability to bother shots from any angle. He can rebound and finish on a fast break.

If you take the year SJax played for the spurs and 06-07 for Pietrus (the year they both had nearly full seasons and were in similar positions in their respective careers)... you see very similar numbers. Actually Pietrus gets the edge big time in shooting % and 3pt%. SJax shot better from the line. Pietrus heavier on the boards, Jax better with assists and steals, and Pietrus better with blocks. Pietrus, less turnovers (nearly 1 less per game). Pietrus more fouls...

If I had to pick 1 or the other, it'd be a tough choice.. well I hope you get my point here, Pietrus isn't as bad a player as ppl think and has room for improvement... gotta remember he's coming from Europe league it takes awhile to adjust to the NBA, just look at Turkoglu for an example.

Stephen Jackson
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
02-03 SAS 80 58 28.2 0.435 0.320 0.760 0.8 2.8 3.6 2.3 1.6 0.4 2.20 2.5 11.8

Michael Pietrus
06-07 GSW 72 38 26.9 0.488 0.388 0.648 1.1 3.4 4.5 0.9 0.7 0.8 1.46 3.10 11.1

TJastal
07-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Your wrong... Name another team that has 3 20 point scorers? We have plenty of scoring when you consider Barry can shoot and Finley can shoot and as a team we shoot an above average 3 point %. Any one who knows the Spurs knows the defense has slipped. If they play better D they do not expand so much more energy trying to have to get into their offense because they create better fast break opportunities and such. Every team has to rest their players and has to deal with injuries. Your Lakers-Spurs series is a terrible argument because they gave up 100+ points in 7 out of the 17 playoff games, that is 41%, that is way too much...Make no bones about it, although offense would greatly help, it means nothing without the D

Word.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Not really seeing that comparison.

If your talking Bruce Bowen however, Posey is basically a spot up shooter just like him. No athleticism, but plays good hard nosed defense. Both can guard a wide range of people, but Posey has a little more size to defend post players better than Bowen, whereas Bowen can defend quicker point guards. Other than that, they are comparitively the same.

I see Pietrus as much more like Jackson. Where he excels, is he can really take it to the rim like few others in this league. And he can knock down a 3 ball occassionally. He has developed a rep as a solid defender and has the ability to bother shots from any angle. He can rebound and finish on a fast break.

If you take the year SJax played for the spurs and 06-07 for Pietrus (the year they both had nearly full seasons and were in similar positions in their respective careers)... you see very similar numbers. Actually Pietrus gets the edge big time in shooting % and 3pt%. SJax shot better from the line. Pietrus heavier on the boards, Jax better with assists and steals, and Pietrus better with blocks. Pietrus, less turnovers (nearly 1 less per game). Pietrus more fouls...

If I had to pick 1 or the other, it'd be a tough choice.. well I hope you get my point here, Pietrus isn't as bad a player as ppl think and has room for improvement... gotta remember he's coming from Europe league it takes awhile to adjust to the NBA, just look at Turkoglu for an example.

Stephen Jackson
02-03 SAS 80 58 28.2 0.435 0.320 0.760 0.8 2.8 3.6 2.3 1.6 0.4 2.20 2.5 11.8

Michael Pietrus
06-07 GSW 72 38 26.9 0.488 0.388 0.648 1.1 3.4 4.5 0.9 0.7 0.8 1.46 3.10 11.1

nice rebuttal, i just dont see pietrus on the same basketball knowledge as stephen jackson....talent yes...