PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Spurs: A Game Plan After Corey Maggette's Snub

Rev Hill
07-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Thought this guy did a pretty good job of playing/thinking "Spurs front office". For the most part, he is spot on with his assessment.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/36025-san-antonio-spurs-a-game-plan-after-corey-maggettes-snub

*If article was already posted in another thread, my apologies.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 10:47 AM
good read.

hope the later isnt true though.

i would be happy with signing Azubuike or Delfino or Posey

AA2120
07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
i think on that espn insider i saw that "spurs eye mason and posey"

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 10:54 AM
It was a good read indeed.

The absolute LAST thing the Spurs should do is consider bringing back the entire cast of aging vets (Finley, Barry, Horry) from last season. Manu's injury notwithstanding, there were more obvious issues than just that. Scoring, perimeter shooting, inability to get into the paint, perimeter defense (sans Bowen).

The FO shouldn't get caught deluding themselves into thinking their failures were linked only to Manu's health. Please!

Big P
07-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Surprising to see an article about the Spurs possible course of action during free agency..nice to see someone go against the grain & write an article about us...most of it is rehashed/news we already knew, but a good read none the less.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
:tu Pretty good read.

lefty
07-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey it's not that bad; after all, we don't want Corey to miss weeks because of dumb injuries:

During the 2001-02 season, Maggette got so upset over a call that he slammed his hand on the scorer's table in frustration and dislocated the ring and little fingers on his right hand. Maggette ended up with a cast and a four-week vacation.

:lmao

TDMVPDPOY
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
devin brown anyone?

Mr. Body
07-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Guys like Mason and Posey won't do a whole lot for this team. JR Smith is not a Spur.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
devin brown anyone?

:nope He has personal problems with the Spurs.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 11:06 AM
devin brown anyone?

HAHA i forgot about that guy....hes from SA, and i saw him on Don Harris last week saying he his agent has talked with the spurs....hes not a good upgrade but a solid one

Bartleby
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
JR Smith is not a Spur.

. . . yet.

angelbelow
07-09-2008, 11:09 AM
nice article, thanks for the post.

picnroll
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
If Spurs stand pat they should enter the wheel chair league.

lefty
07-09-2008, 11:12 AM
If Spurs stand pat they should enter the wheel chair league.

So they will play the Miami Heat ???

picnroll
07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
JR Smith is not a Spur.
Signed,
Damon Stoudemire
Glen Robinson
Stephen Jackson

Mr. Body
07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Signed,
Damon Stoudemire
Glen Robinson
Stephen Jackson

You're living in LaLa Land.

If Pietrus is dumb Smith is at least as dumb as he is.

SPURSGOAT
07-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Why are the Spurs looking at Roger Mason? He is a backup PG... we have Hill and Vaughn...unless they are looking at him for the SG spot...

picnroll
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
You're living in LaLa Land.

If Pietrus is dumb Smith is at least as dumb as he is.
Difference betwee dumb and undisicplined. SMmth has been dumb off the court a la Stephen Jackson. Smith is undiscplined on the court a la Stephen Jackson. Pietrus is dumb on the court a la Elson.

Mr. Body
07-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Smith is undisciplined because he doesn't understand the game. Pietrus I'd mark above him in game sense. Pietrus at least wouldn't blow up your own team on the defensive end.

picnroll
07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Smith is undisciplined because he doesn't understand the game. Pietrus I'd mark above him in game sense. Pietrus at least wouldn't blow up your own team on the defensive end.

I've seen Smith make passes that Pietrus couldn't dream of. Smith is not dumb on the court, he didn't get along with his first coach (granted because of immaturity which needs to be broken) and he's had a crappy second coach and a knuckleheaded players around him influencing him, things that don't exist on the Spurs. We should know soon enough if Pop still sees something in him like he did before.

spurman20
07-09-2008, 11:41 AM
All this Smith talk is foolish, Pops and R C have no interest in him or they would have talk with him or given him an offer sheet by now.....baring any trades we are gonna role out the same old ass team who will win 55 games be third in the west and struggle to get out of round 2. They dont seem pressed to improve our backcourt or front court right now and I believe they are gonna look like fools for taking hill over chalmers, passing on CDR and Bill Walker.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
All this Smith talk is foolish, Pops and R C have no interest in him or they would have talk with him or given him an offer sheet by now.....baring any trades we are gonna role out the same old ass team who will win 55 games be third in the west and struggle to get out of round 2. They dont seem pressed to improve our backcourt or front court right now and I believe they are gonna look like fools for taking hill over chalmers, passing on CDR and Bill Walker.....

I didn't know we had a member who can see the future!!! :tu

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Very good read...

I would love for the Spurs to take a stab at Ben Gordon, but I personally don't think he'd sign an offer sheet for a multi-year deal at the MLE. Based on how he turned down last year's offer, he clearly thinks he's worth more than that.

If the Spurs were going to get on the JR Smith bandwagon, they need to have done it already. The free agent pool is quickly eroding and someone will catch on to JR Smith's relatively low value at some point.

The guy to watch out for is Mason. It seems oddly familiar to last year's signing of Udoka where the Spurs were interested but unwilling to overpay and in the end just waited out while other suitors lost interest. I could see a similar scenario unfolding with Mason and getting a good value there.

Either way, it appears there are several options for the Spurs to avoid standing pat. They do need to hurry up though, if they're going to get in on the restricted FAs.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
For some reason, "snub" seems like a poor word choice. The only report I've seen about him and the Spurs was someone's opinion that he might be likely to sign with them. The money wasn't even close.

TD4THREE
07-09-2008, 02:43 PM
They dont seem pressed to improve our backcourt or front court right now Yeah that's why they went after Maggette.:rolleyes Just what do you expect? It's a shitty FA market and they have nothing but the MLE to offer. And about Smith, they've shown interest in the past, how do you know they're not talking to him right now?

rj215
07-09-2008, 02:44 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm glad that Maggette didn't come here. He's obviously like most athletes nowadays and all about the $$$.

If he feels like a couple of millions more to play for a loser like Don Nelson is worth it, then good riddance. He'll have plenty of time to count all that loot when he's sitting on his ass at home during the playoffs.

Hopefully we sign someone who knows that the Spurs are about getting

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 02:47 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm glad that Maggette didn't come here. He's obviously like most athletes nowadays and all about the $$$.

If he feels like a couple of millions more to play for a loser like Don Nelson is worth it, then good riddance. He'll have plenty of time to count all that loot when he's sitting on his ass at home during the playoffs.

Hopefully we sign someone who knows that the Spurs are about getting

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Maggette had a rare opportunity this season with Brand out. He probably maximized his value and found himself out of a job. That he would make the most of it financially makes tons of sense to me. Remember that the Warriors, even without Baron Davis, are likely a step up from the Clippers.

spurman20
07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Maggette went to a team that will not make the playoffs again the next 4-5 yrs...they have a pg who is really a 2 lots of wings with no size inside.....they dont defend, at all and with portland denver the sonics all better teams and having lost B Davis they will be luck to win 40 games next year.......hope u injoy the money corey, with Cal tax rate and cost of living your gonna make about 500,000 grand more a year than you would in San Ant.......but dont worry we will send you post cards during the playoffs...