PDA

View Full Version : The top 50 players in the NBA after 50 years. Needs updating to 62, pick them!

Lakers_55
07-09-2008, 03:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html

The NBA put together by votes who the top 50 players of all time were back in 1996. I thnk their intent was to add a player every year, but they never bothered. In fact, I remember a sports writer about 8 years ago who thought that the number 50 was set in stone and old players should come off the list as new players eclipsed them. In my opinion, that defeats the purpose of having this list.

Clearly, several players belong on the top 62 NBA players after 62 years that have entered the league since.

consider:
Tim Duncan
Kobe Bryant
LeBron James
Paul Pierce
Kevin Garnett
Ray Allen
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Jason Kidd
Alan Iverson
Yao Ming
Tracy McGrady

whoops, that's 12, and not necessarily who I would pick. I haven't thought beyond this 12, just figured I would stop there and let you guys chip in with what you think. See what 12 players you would add and if you have more than 12, who would you take off the original list?

There is an interesting thread in Spurs section about ranking the best players in order, but that's subjective to individual opinions. This is just to try to settle on an updated list and hope that the NBA gets a clue and agrees to update their list!

Oh, funny thing about this list is almost everyone on it is still alive. You can't say that about baseball or football. Look how far the NBA has come in a short time, and where it is headed!

IronMexican
07-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Duncan and Kobe are clearly in.

z0sa
07-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Duncan and Kobe are clearly in.

Along with KG now. I'd go as far to say LeBron since he's already had a finals appearance, too (along with every other thing he's done so far).

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 04:23 PM
I would not put Yao Ming there

IronMexican
07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Along with KG now. I'd go as far to say LeBron since he's already had a finals appearance, too (along with every other thing he's done so far).
agreed. along with AI

I would not put Yao Ming there

Agreed.

mistwiya
07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Yao Ming? He's never even got past the first round, I know Mcgrady did but Mcgrady was in the NBA longer. Clearly, Dwight Howard > Yao Ming.....

IronMexican
07-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I would replace Ray Allen and Kidd with CP3 and Wade.

.....i wouldn't.

FromWayDowntown
07-09-2008, 04:40 PM
TNT already upped the list to 60 a few years ago (unofficially). In addition to the original 50 at 50, they added:

Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Dominique Wilkins

As an aside, if you're going to debate adding players to the list -- however many it might be -- it doesn't make any sense to me that you would only consider players who've come around since the first list was made. I think you have to go back and open the discussion to players who were considered for the first list but were just short of making it, too. There's no way that Yao Ming would be more deserving than, say, Bob McAdoo or Dominique Wilkins.

With that, if you're going to go beyond the Next 10, why not also consider players who have long since retired but still haven't made the list? Why not consider players like:

Walt Bellamy
Joe Dumars
Adrian Dantley
Alex English
Dennis Johnson
Bernard King
Artis Gilmore
Bob Lanier

along with the new generation of players?

Spurminator
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
Also, you have to consider whether some of the original 50 should get bumped in favor of someone from the last 12 years.

baseline bum
07-09-2008, 04:50 PM
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Allen Iverson
4. LeBron James
5. Dwayne Wade
6. Dominique Wilkins
7. Kevin Garnett
8. Dirk Nowitzki
9. Gary Payton
10. Steve Nash
11. Jason Kidd
12. Chris Paul

Spuradicator
07-09-2008, 07:58 PM
They should keep it to 50 and update it. Duncan, Kobe and AI make it for sure.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-09-2008, 08:13 PM
TNT already upped the list to 60 a few years ago (unofficially). In addition to the original 50 at 50, they added:

Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Connie Hawkins
Allen Iverson
Jason Kidd
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Dominique Wilkins

As an aside, if you're going to debate adding players to the list -- however many it might be -- it doesn't make any sense to me that you would only consider players who've come around since the first list was made. I think you have to go back and open the discussion to players who were considered for the first list but were just short of making it, too. There's no way that Yao Ming would be more deserving than, say, Bob McAdoo or Dominique Wilkins.

With that, if you're going to go beyond the Next 10, why not also consider players who have long since retired but still haven't made the list? Why not consider players like:

Walt Bellamy
Joe Dumars
Adrian Dantley
Alex English
Dennis Johnson
Bernard King
Artis Gilmore
Bob Lanier

along with the new generation of players?

Hate to be a homer but how are Dumars and Bob Freaking Lanier not in there???

JamStone
07-09-2008, 08:42 PM
If we're just adding and not replacing...

Duncan, Kobe, Garnett, Iverson, Kidd added no questions asked. LeBron James (yes just 5 years into the league), Dirk Nowitzki, and Steve Nash (on the strength of the 2 MVPs) are extremely likely additions. That's eight there.

For the other four slots, I would give consideration to the following players: Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Dwyane Wade, Chris Webber (career 20 and 10 quite a distinction), Elton Brand (also career 20/10, will receiver great consideration), Gary Payton, Paul Pierce, Reggie Miller, and Vince Carter.

Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, and Carmelo Anthony should move into the conversation over the next few years.

I struggle whether Reggie Miller should be in the conversation based on a very, very good career just based on longevity.

JamStone
07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Hate to be a homer but how are Dumars and Bob Freaking Lanier not in there???

They aren't top 50 players in the history of the NBA.

They aren't.

IronMexican
07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Also, you have to consider whether some of the original 50 should get bumped in favor of someone from the last 12 years.

that would be very disrespectful to them.

"oh name here, you got bumped from the 50 greatest players, we're sorry"

Vinnie_Johnson
07-09-2008, 09:40 PM
They aren't top 50 players in the history of the NBA.

They aren't.

Were talking about adding to the list 12 more Dumars should be on there.

FromWayDowntown
07-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm not sure I'd agree that Dumars is among the 62 best players in the history of the NBA. He was a very, very good player, but I'm not sure I'd agree that he was that good.

JamStone
07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Were talking about adding to the list 12 more Dumars should be on there.

Nope.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure I'd agree that Dumars is among the 62 best players in the history of the NBA. He was a very, very good player, but I'm not sure I'd agree that he was that good.

Two rings and should of had three the only player that could slow down MJ. Don't really care if no one agrees that is the way I feel.

JamStone
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Bruce Bowen right behind Joe Dumars then?

FromWayDowntown
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Two rings and should of had three the only player that could slow down MJ. Don't really care if no one agrees that is the way I feel.

That's part of what the debate is all about -- there are no right answers. I understand your argument, but respectfully disagree. It's certainly not as if you're arguing that Fennis Dembo belongs on the list or anything like that.