PDA

View Full Version : Draft Picks To Be Introduced July 10th

spursdotcom
07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
We'll have live streaming of the new guys as they meet the media beginning at 11am on July 10th and we are opening up the mailbag for them as well. Drop by http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_pick_intro_080710.html now and send in any questions you have for George Hill, James Gist or Malik Hairston.

www.spurs.com (http://www.spurs.com)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
:tu Very cool, thanks.

SPURSGOAT
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
WOOHOO!!!! I hope all 3 make the squad!

Tully365
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Nice. I can't wait to see these guys in summer league!

koopa
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
i never really pay attention to the spurs rookies cause they never really do anything right away, but it seems that these three are getting more attention then spurs rookies usually do......i've never seen pop really talk up the incoming rookies like he has these three guys....... maybe that's a good sign that all three will make the roster

Thompson
07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
That or Pop's a little desperate.

koopa
07-09-2008, 05:54 PM

pops not really the desperate type though, if he was, he'd have blown up this after every time we failed to repeat

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Bump.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 11:00 AM

The team is a little desperate. Yeah.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
All 3 are already on the roster on ESPN... :p:

Brutalis
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I wonder if he posts this on SR too.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 01:05 PM
I am at the link.... where is the live video?

timvp
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Did anyone watch this? Hopefully they put the video up soon.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Did anyone watch this? Hopefully they put the video up soon.

I thought it was going to be a live feed as it happened...ah well.

timvp
07-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I thought it was going to be a live feed as it happened...ah well.It was supposed to be a live feed ... two hours ago.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 01:26 PM
oh 11 CST... LOL! I live on the west coast.. always forget about that time zone thing... lol!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 01:30 PM
It was supposed to be a live feed ... two hours ago.

Yea, the video wasn't working and it was never shown live. We're all gonna have to wait to see it.

timvp
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Check back soon for the video replay of the Spurs' 2008 draft picks media meet and greet.

spursdotcom
07-10-2008, 03:26 PM
It was live and streamed. The press part was pretty brief, it only lasted about 15 minutes.

For some of you that had trouble viewing, we apologize. Sometimes it takes clearing the cache in your browser if you recently visited the site to view the updates.

The entire video will be posted in a few moments.

Brutalis
07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Lies.

spursdotcom
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Video of all three draft picks (http://origin.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_pick_intro_080710.html)

I wonder if he posts this on SR too.

Pretty sure we didn't but if someone else did for us thanks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:37 PM
George Hill comparing himself to Monta Ellis. Then goes on to say he values defense first. Says he doesn't mind bringing Tim and Tony McDonalds as his rookie assignment :lol . They bring up the idea of him backing up Tony, and he slows it down and says he still has to beat Jacque for the spot so he's playing it safe and not automatically envisioning himself as the backup. Says he's ready to take his amount of lumps from Pop and is willing to work at his best to do what Pop says. Says he doesn't have a favorite team. Think players should stay for all 4 years in college. Named Mike Taylor, Mario Chalmers, Wayne Ellington, Danny Green, and Nathan "Jawaki" :lol as players he felt he played good against in his Spurs workouts.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Malik Hairston said he got scared when Phoenix drafted because he didn't know what was going on since he didn't workout for them. About 30 seconds later he got a call saying he's gonna be traded to San Antonio, then his excitement shot up. Says he had conversation with Pop on draft night. Says he feels motivated since Pop said he expects him to make the team. Says the feeling of being on a championship team hasn't hit him yet. Says he's out to win in the summer league. Then hypes up Pop as a great coach whose players love him and wants to learn from him. Says his favorite team is the Pistons. Says he didn't feel bad when Horry made that Game 5 three because he loves his clutch shots. Says he thinks he can bring leadership and he's very versatile. Thinks he can be a swingman but he's a true 2 guard.

djohn14
07-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Haha...how do you pronounce your last name...

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Gist shaved his dreads off and grew a beard.

Says he looks forward to playing for the Spurs the most because he wants to learn from the vets. Felt a sigh of relief when he was drafted. Says he's gonna hustle crazy so he can make the roster. Says he values his defense the most. He says Roger Mason is a great guy and they hang out, that he's his "older brother" and that he's a great player and better shooter.

djohn14
07-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Gist seemed layed back. He wasnt as nervous as Malik and George

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Gist seemed layed back. He wasnt as nervous as Malik and George

Yea, I noticed that too.

tav1
07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
They all seem like good kids. I'm rooting for all of them.

I'm anxious to see what they have on the court.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm getting garbage audio. Video plays fine.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm getting garbage audio. Video plays fine.

It sounds pretty good to me.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 04:58 PM
It sounds pretty good to me.

Yeah.. it was my headphones' chord.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Malik Hairston said he got scared when Phoenix drafted because he didn't know what was going on since he didn't workout for them. About 30 seconds later he got a call saying he's gonna be traded to San Antonio, then his excitement shot up. Says he had conversation with Pop on draft night. Says he feels motivated since Pop said he expects him to make the team. Says the feeling of being on a championship team hasn't hit him yet. Says he's out to win in the summer league. Then hypes up Pop as a great coach whose players love him and wants to learn from him. Says his favorite team is the Pistons. Says he didn't feel bad when Horry made that Game 5 three because he loves his clutch shots. Says he thinks he can bring leadership and he's very versatile. Thinks he can be a swingman but he's a true 2 guard.

Hairston's confidence really caught my attention. While he said he had alot to work on and was going to be a "sponge", he mentioned that he thought he was capable of playing on this level and even bringing leadership.

And when he talked about "winning", I don't think he was speaking about Summer League. I think he was saying that he's looking forward to bringing that winning mentatily to the Spurs and is out to help the big club win.

I hope he's able to exude that confidence and turn it into production during the summer league and season. I'll be watching his development closely.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Gist shaved his dreads off and grew a beard.

Says he looks forward to playing for the Spurs the most because he wants to learn from the vets. Felt a sigh of relief when he was drafted. Says he's gonna hustle crazy so he can make the roster. Says he values his defense the most. He says Roger Mason is a great guy and they hang out, that he's his "older brother" and that he's a great player and better shooter.

Poor Gist (that's with a hard "G") had half the interview of the other two and got his interview highjacked with the mention of Roger Mason's signing.

He seems committed to showing he's got what it takes to be an NBA player and I'm really looking forward to his Summer League play.

Darkwaters
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Hairston and Gist definitely seemed better spoken than Hill, although Hill wasn't bad. While how well spoken you are is definitely not always indicative of skill, it often does indicate maturity. If the two seconds are mature individuals coupled with skill then they just might work out.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd rather have all three of these guys on the Spurs and signed to multi-year deals, rather than picking up some random veteran off the scrap heap. It's about time the Spurs get back in the business of developing some of their own talent.

timvp
07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Good videos. Nice job Mr. Spurs.com :tu

Hill has said all the right things in his interviews. We'll see how he plays during summer league. The most interesting thing I took out of his interview is that he worked out against Mario Chalmers while in San Antonio -- so hopefully that allowed the Spurs to get a good feel regarding which of the two is the better prospect.

Hairston has already earned some respect by being miffed that the Suns drafted him and then being excited that he ended up with the Spurs. Seems like he has that anti-Suns part down already :hat

Gist sounds like he knows it's going to be difficult to make the team. The Spurs have obviously not promised him anything. Hopefully in summer league he shows he belongs.

coopdogg3
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I think they all did well during the interview. George Hill seemed a tad tight. Gist seemed the most natural to me. Guess he knows he has the least chance of making the team, so he can just go balls to the walls. Gist knows Mason Jr. too, so that was nice. Said some good things about him.

But I think we got 3 good guys. Hope they're good basketball players too.

djohn14
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Whats strange to me, is while I know Gist has the least chance to get a roster spot, Im most excited to see him play. Its probably just because of his athleticism and dunking ability, but I like him.

usckk
07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
What did Malik mean when he said he is going to "try to mess with the others?"

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 05:27 PM
What did Malik mean when he said he is going to "try to mess with the others?"

He's gonna put their underwear in the freezer.

picnroll
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
The most interesting thing I took out of his interview is that he worked out against Mario Chalmers while in San Antonio -- so hopefully that allowed the Spurs to get a good feel regarding which of the two is the better prospect.

I was hoping Chalmers and Hill were in town together because the way they made it sound he bitch slapped in his workouts. I have a good feelingall those whining about Chalmers (including now) are going to be hiding under the rug, eh Mr Body.

Sense
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
From what I saw and heard... I think Hairston is going to be the one with most to prove.. he's going to try to do what any defensive team would want.. since he is a Piston fan and respected the Spurs as a fan... I think he knows he has to do alot to get the attention of Pop. I think Hairston more focused on making an impression than the other two.. but thats just me.

200 miles
07-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I'd rather have all three of these guys on the Spurs and signed to multi-year deals, rather than picking up some random veteran off the scrap heap. It's about time the Spurs get back in the business of developing some of their own talent.

Exactly :toast

benefactor
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Truth....speak on it.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
The most interesting thing I took out of his interview is that he worked out against Mario Chalmers while in San Antonio -- so hopefully that allowed the Spurs to get a good feel regarding which of the two is the better prospect.

That was a big revalation for me. If they did a head-to-head comparison and thought Hill was the better of the two "smallish off-guards trying to make the NBA as a PG", then I can't really fault them.

They made a judgement call and I hope it was the right one. Guess we'll see...

mardigan
07-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Man, I really liked Hairston's interview. Seems very humble, but very confident at the same time. I cant wait to see what these guys do in summer league.

tp2021
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM

Really, now? So Pop says Hill will make the team better after the draft, and now this about Hairston. I wonder how he feels about Gist? Out of the two 2nd rounders, I would rather have Gist.

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm liking Malik Hairston more and more.

Maybe the kid refinds the fire and becomes that stud player again.