PDA

View Full Version : Express News: Scola expects to be a Spur next season

Dex
02-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Scola expects to be a Spur next season
Web Posted: 02/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Will Spurs fans get a second serving of Latin flavor on its roster next season?

They will according to those close to Luis Scola, including his agent Claudio Villanueva, who says the power forward is ready to play in San Antonio.

Scola, 24, who led Argentina to its first Olympic gold medal in Greece last summer, expects to leave Spanish ACB powerhouse Tau Ceramica for the NBA next season.

"I confirm that that will be the case," one source close to Scola told Argentina sports newspaper Olé, while Villanueva told Olé, "We cannot say that the deal is done because we all know how this world works, but there are all the indications to think that Luis will play next year in the NBA."

Scola was selected by the Spurs with the 56th pick in the 2002 NBA draft. He is under contract with Tau until 2006, with a $2 million buyout clause.

Spurs officials won't comment on the situation because there are still too many hurdles to clear, but general manager R.C. Buford traveled to Europe as recently as late December to watch Scola play.

Villanueva indicated that Scola nearly played for the Spurs this season.

"After the Olympic Games they (Spurs executives) made an approach but they had problems regarding the salary cap."

Hadn't seen this around here yet.

TwoHandJam
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Yeah, baby. [/austinpowers] :hat

spursfaninla
02-03-2005, 01:24 PM
At this point Scola would be a big help, considering our front court needs more offensive punch and more consistent defense.

Not sure how we make room for him cap-wise, and roster wise.

atlfan25
02-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Not sure how we make room for him cap-wise, and roster wise.
by trading malik of course

FromWayDowntown
02-03-2005, 01:49 PM
IIRC, Scola will get the MLE. If that's true, there are no cap concerns. The roster concern is alleviated by the likely departure of either Massenburg or Horry at the end of this season.

spursfaninla
02-03-2005, 01:50 PM
I dont' see us getting rid of Malik without giving up something good as well; at this point, no one wants to give up cap room or anything good for him.

Thus, I don't think trading Malik for an expiring contract is going to happen.

Thus, I see Malik here next year. The only way he isn't is if we take a bad contract back in return, which doesn't help with this situation.

office handle
02-03-2005, 02:46 PM
him replacing horry makes the most sense though horrys savvy is nice to have around.

ducks
02-03-2005, 02:49 PM
him replacing masserg makes the most seince

rumor is spurs might get him for 3 years at 6 million

office handle
02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
him replacing masserg makes the most seince

another duckism for the archives

rumor is spurs might get him for 3 years at 6 million

works for me

Rummpd
02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
However you get him do so. Manu and him on court at the same time willl be sick!

Solid D
02-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Great energy player. 100% effort on loose balls, plays fairly physical, and has a knack for scoring in traffic. He's what Malik has brought to the Spurs in years past, except he's taller and he passes better.

BigVee
02-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Amen. Out with Mass and/or Malik....we get better and younger.

picnroll
02-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I see same as Solid D. He will get burned on D a fair amount though and he will be foul prone. Off the bench player to bring energy/emotion. Will be a fan favorite as he's high energy/effort and likes to pump up the crowd.

Jdspur20
02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
whats his height and weight?

Solid D
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
http://www.interbasket.net/players/scola.htm

http://www.interbasket.net/players/scola.jpg

Solid D
02-03-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/plantillas/jugador.jsp?id=AJG

At TAU Ceramica his height is listed at 206 cm, which is 81.10220 inches or 6 ft, 9.1 inches. That may be in shoes, though. My guess is he's at least 235 lbs.

office handle
02-03-2005, 03:32 PM
well at least we know he can make a gas face while executing a primal scream

Jdspur20
02-03-2005, 03:37 PM
thanks solid D

Solid D
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
No problem, Jdspur20.

exstatic
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
He's fairly solid, about 6'9" and 230. He can score in the post and on a jumper, but his defense and rebounding were suspect when he was drafted. He'll never be a shotblocker, but his rebounding has improved markedly, and with the use of zones, his defense can be less of a liability than before.

office handle
02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
therein lies the biggest hurdle for him to make it in the nba, his defense. im also not yet sold on his physicality

Kori Ellis
02-03-2005, 06:05 PM
Isn't this just a rehash article? Wasn't that quote from the agent from about 3 or 4 weeks ago ... or maybe even 2 months ago?

Look at this thread ... the same quote is in the yahoo article from Dec 28.

"I confirm that that will be the case," Villanueva said to Argentine sports newspaper Ole. "We cannot say that the deal is done because we all know how this world works, but there are all the indications to think that Luis will play next year in the NBA."

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8291&highlight=scola

Kori Ellis
02-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I don't know if this is a case of bad reporting or if they just copied an old article or what. But this definitely isn't news. The article is built around a quote from 2 months ago.

whottt
02-03-2005, 06:40 PM
We already have a PF that can score.

SequSpur
02-03-2005, 06:41 PM
We need a center.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
well then move duncan to center, make scola the starting pf, and make rasho and horry the primary backups with malik as....well maybe he'll outplay horry down the stretch.

whottt
02-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Scola isn't one.

I remain unsold on the idea of him fitting well on this team. I see him as pretty much a running big man with limited D, shotblocking, and rebounding.

I see him as a scorer...which is probably the last thing we need from our back up PF on this team.

I'd just like to see him play before I annoint him as the second coming...but I get the mindset of many of his fans because it is common to every team in the NBA. Basically, any big is better than the ones that are currently on the team...the grass is always greener.

The truth is that we probably have the best roation of bigs, and best big depth, in the entire NBA...

whottt
02-03-2005, 06:57 PM
well then move duncan to center, make scola the starting pf, and make rasho and horry the primary backups with malik as....well maybe he'll outplay horry down the stretch.

Yeah, let's just move Duncan to center(an idea he has never exactly been warm towards) and start Scola, having never seen him play in an NBA game.

It's logic like that that makes me so respectful of the opinions of the Scola disciples.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
i have seen him dismantle nba talent in the olympics though whottt, didn't you?

whottt
02-03-2005, 07:24 PM
i have seen him dismantle nba talent in the olympics though whottt, didn't you?

Yes I did, more than once, very good players...including Duncan and J O'Neal.

And that's my point entirely. Do you think Duncan and J O'Neal perform in the NBA like they do in international competition?

There are differences...those differences don't matter mucht to some players...like Manu...but to others, IMO bigs, those differences can be signifigant depending on the style of play.

I think Scola is the type of player who will point out those differences...I think he can probably play in the NBA for someone...but I don't see him being a good fit on this team. I don't think he's going to have the inside presence we seek from our bigs in terms of D, rebounding, or shotblocking...and I don't think scoring is a primary need for Tim Duncan's back up.

I also don't think he's going to start ahead of Rasho without any shotblocking ability. Pop may have loosened the reigns a bit due to the talents of Parker and Manu...but he's not going to change his entire coaching mindset...he's going to want a shotblocker with size to start(Rasho wouldn't be starting otherwise).

I just don't see him being the magnificient fit on this team that everyone assumes he will be.