PDA

View Full Version : Memorial to MLK Jr. Needs Repairs

Clandestino
02-03-2005, 12:56 PM
maybe manny should've been raising money for mlk jr during the march instead of pushing his own ecological agenda...

ASSOCIATED PRESS

ATLANTA (AP) - The memorial where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. is buried needs $11.6 million in repairs, according to a National Park Service report.

Problems include fire hazards and leaks at the center's archive building, which houses King's papers and other important documents from the civil rights movement, according to the report, which was obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I was surprised at the extent of the problems," said Frank Catroppa, superintendent of the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site.

The King family controls the 24-year-old center through a nonprofit corporation. The National Park Service manages the site but does not operate the King Center.

Andrew Young, a former Atlanta mayor and King Center board member, said the center is in "a slow deterioration" but cannot afford to make repairs.

"The King Center has very little resources for maintenance," said Young, the only one of the board's nine directors who is not a King family member. He was a close associate of King and was with him when he was assassinated in Memphis in 1968.

Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., who fought for civil rights alongside King in the 1960s, told the newspaper in Thursday's editions that he would be willing to seek federal assistance for the center.

Founded by King's wife, Coretta Scott King, in the basement of her home in 1968, the King Center was built in 1981. It consists of Freedom Hall, a reflective pool and tomb, and an administration and archives building.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Yes, I should definetly raise money for Atlanta and ignore San Antonio.

Maybe Cladestino should go read a book or 2 about the man he is posting about now. Hey, I'll see you at next years march...oh wait, I won't will I?

Clandestino
02-03-2005, 01:11 PM
Yes, I should definetly raise money for Atlanta and ignore San Antonio.

Maybe Cladestino should go read a book or 2 about the man he is posting about now. Hey, I'll see you at next years march...oh wait, I won't will I?

:lol haha..hell no, you won't.. i don't want to be bombarded by the vendors, anti-everything groups, wierdos, YOU, etc!

p.s. the correct spelling is "definitely."

MannyIsGod
02-03-2005, 01:32 PM
:lol haha..hell no, you won't.. i don't want to be bombarded by the vendors, anti-everything groups, wierdos, YOU, etc!

p.s. the correct spelling is "definitely."

Ok, if you're going to lecture me on anything grammaticly, you may want to acquaint yourself with the sentence. I'm a horrible speller, but I don't think YOU should be the one to point it out when you take into consideration that you have yet to make a post which isn't a fragment or run on sentence.

But that would make it twice today that you've tried to lecture me on things you no nothing about: activism and grammar.

Grain of salt, anyone?

Clandestino
02-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok, if you're going to lecture me on anything grammaticly, you may want to acquaint yourself with the sentence. I'm a horrible speller, but I don't think YOU should be the one to point it out when you take into consideration that you have yet to make a post which isn't a fragment or run on sentence.

But that would make it twice today that you've tried to lecture me on things you no nothing about: activism and grammar.

Grain of salt, anyone?

no or know? :elephant :blah

gophergeorge
02-04-2005, 11:33 AM
I'd never march to honor a communist.....