PDA

View Full Version : Spurs still in play for Posey?

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 10:04 PM
KABB just reported that the Spurs are still in play for Posey according to his agent.

Spurtacus
I don't think they can afford him at this point.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Do they know we signed Roger?

timvp
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
It's over.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Do they know we signed Roger?

That was the first thing they reported.

Buddy Holly
07-09-2008, 10:06 PM
It's over.

Maybe an sign and trade?

saxman
Posey would have been a good pick up for the spurs as a backup to bowen. He is a bigger defender...someone spurs could use against bigger SFs

Twisted_Dawg
What a joke.

Marcus Bryant
Reportedly the Celtics covet Bonner.

Mr.Bottomtooth
That was the first thing they reported.

I highly doubt the Spurs can get Posey. He turned down the Celtics offer of about $3.8M, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't accept an offer of ~$2M from the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM

Sign and trade Bonner + cash for Posey. :tu

TheMadHatter
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Spurs have Bowen/Udoka......why would they need Posey?

IMHO Posey will go back to BOS now that Maggette is off the market, this all seems to be posturing from him and his agent to get the long term deal he wants. BOS will ultimately cave in to his demands.

gaKNOW!blee
07-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Spurs have Bowen/Udoka......why would they need Posey?

IMHO Posey will go back to BOS now that Maggette is off the market, this all seems to be posturing from him and his agent to get the long term deal he wants. BOS will ultimately cave in to his demands.

Fuck Udoka.

Spurtacus

Oh yes. Please take him. Sign and trade. Bonner + 2nd round pick + cash for Posey!

Aggie Hoopsfan
Celtics are already in lux tax territory.

If there is any chance of a trade it's us sending out rights to players and cash to them for him.

Tully365
07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
How is that possible? It would be great news, but I can't see how that happens. The Spurs only have about 2 mil/year to offer...

brettn
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Signing Mason pretty much ended any chance we have at landing Posey or any of the top UFA's remaining for that matter. Posey ain't happenin.

Ice009
07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Is this thread some kind of joke???????

They know we've signed Mason right?

romsho
07-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Interesting that Posey's agent would say the Spurs are still a possibility, being that the agent in question is Mark Bartelstein...who also represents Roger Mason.

anakha
Typical agent-speak.

Agents just love name-dropping the Spurs, don't they? :lol

rj215
IMHO Posey's just using the Spurs to get a better deal from some other team....shame...if we could get rid of Bonner the FO should jump on it....

smrattler
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I wish players would stop using the Spurs to get more money from other teams.

Come to SA or STFU!!!

saxman
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Interesting that Posey's agent would say the Spurs are still a possibility, being that the agent in question is Mark Bartelstein...who also represents Roger Mason.

OR, maybe he knows something we don't...:drool:

AFBlue

You're joking right?

They already have an overpaid, unathletic redhead...they've filled their quota!

Marcus Bryant
No. I never joke.

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll file this thread away with the Corey Maggette "frontrunner" thread....

"Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, uhh THE POINT IS YOU CAN'T FOOL US!"

- Hon. George W. Bush

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
No. I never joke.

I guess it makes sense that he's from New England...so it would be something of a homecoming.

Still, I'd be amazed if they were unwilling to pay Posey the full MLE, but were willing to take on Bonner's $3M salary for the next two years.

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 10:41 PM
But....Posey and Bowen in the starting lineup I can handle.

Make it happen!

Ice009
07-09-2008, 10:44 PM

Hmm that is interesting if Mason and Posey have the same agent. Maybe the Spurs have got something cooking in the form of a trade? Posey and his agent could be waiting to see how that goes.

The other option is that they're using us for more money.

loveforthegame
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd like to think it's an option still but what's the point with Udoka and Mason here as well?

mardigan
07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, he does live in Texas in the off-season.
Still, highly doubtfull.

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd like to think it's an option still but what's the point with Udoka and Mason here as well?

Posey is a more reliable shooter from behind the arc...and he's an upgrade defensively over either.

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Well, he does live in Texas in the off-season.
Still, highly doubtfull.

Highly

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Udoka and Bonner for Posey.....anyone?

loveforthegame
07-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Posey is a more reliable shooter from behind the arc...and he's an upgrade defensively over either.

Sure he is but there's only so many minutes to go around. Bowen and Posey would eat up all the sf minutes while Ginobli and Mason probably take all the sg ones. That leaves Udoka on the outside unless he's our small ball pf.

Ice009
07-09-2008, 11:00 PM

That is a very interesting trade. One I think I would make if available.

AFBlue
07-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Sure he is but there's only so many minutes to go around. Bowen and Posey would eat up all the sf minutes while Ginobli and Mason probably take all the sg ones. That leaves Udoka on the outside unless he's our small ball pf.

Something tells me the Spurs will start to limit Bowen's time if Udoka can show some consistency in his play next season.

All in all, I think Udoka will probably be the most improved player this next year.

rj215
07-09-2008, 11:01 PM

don't wanna give up on Udoka so quickly...i think another year in the system will do him wonders...but yes please FO get rid of Bonner somehow!!!

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Something tells me the Spurs will start to limit Bowen's time if Udoka can show some consistency in his play next season.

All in all, I think Udoka will probably be the most improved player this next year.

I agree. KT and Udoka are both going to benefit greatly from an off-season and camp with the Spurs.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
That is a very interesting trade. One I think I would make if available.

it would be if Hill,Parker,Vaughn,Ginobili, and Mason are all going to stay on board.

Duncan,Thomas,Oberto,Mahimni will be our bigs so it looks like we are pretty much full from that stand point.

signing James posey who can go from SG to SF would be great for Udoka and Bonner. If of course, this rumor is true

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Celtics’ James Posey is closing in on a decision

The agent for the forward says he will have a new contract in “a day or two.’’

By Jim Fenton
ENTERPRISE staff writer
Posted Jul 09, 2008 @ 11:34 PM
BOSTON —
The Boston Celtics should learn very soon whether James Posey will be helping them defend the NBA title next season.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Wednesday night that unrestricted free-agent Posey is about to make a decision on his future.

Agent Mark Bartlestein told the newspaper Posey will sign a multi-year contract in “a day or two.’’

Whether that deal will be with the Celtics, the team he helped end a 22-year championship drought, or another team remains to be seen.

Posey opted out of the second year of a two-year l contract he signed with the Celtics last August.

Instead of earning the $3.4 million he signed for last summer, Posey is expected to earn close to $5 million beginning in the 2008-09 season.

Teams have been negotiating with Posey since midnight on July 1, and contracts could be signed beginning Wednesday.

While there has been a flurry of activity around the NBA, Posey has remained on hold as he weighs options.

The Celtics, who can offer the mid-level exception beginning at $5.585 million in ’08-09, have competition for Posey, their best bench player in the championship season.

The Cleveland Cavaliers, who like the Celtics are over the salary cap, entered the picture this week.

General manager Danny Ferry has been in talks with Bartelstein to bring Posey home to Ohio.

Posey is from Twinsburg, Ohio, and played his college basketball at Xavier in Cincinnati.

The Cavaliers, looking for depth to contend with the Celtics in the Eastern Conference, could use a versatile forward like Posey, who plays defense and can hit 3-pointers.

The San Antonio Spurs, another team looking for a boost after losing in the Western Conference finals, has shown interest in Posey along with the New Orleans Hornets, a surprise team in the Western Conference last season.

The Los Angeles Lakers and Detroit Pistons have also been thrown into the mix, but it is unlikely Posey will land in either of those two spots.

Posey, who turns 32 in January, is probably looking for a contract that covers the next four seasons.

The Celtics likely do not want to tie up their entire mid-level exception for that long and have Posey under contract until he is 36.

Posey has stated he would like to return to the Celtics, and his teammates have given a vote of confidence to management.

The Celtics courted free-agent Corey Maggette with the mid-level exception, but he left the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday, agreeing to a five-year, $50 million deal with the Golden State Warriors.

Should Posey find a new team like Maggette, the Celtics would have a significant hole on their bench.

Posey was a constant spark in a reserve role and played a key role in the Game 4 comeback against the Los Angeles Lakers that turned the NBA Finals in Boston’s favor.

The Celtics have already committed more than $70 million to players for next season, well above the $58,680,000 salary cap that was set earlier this week.

The Celtics, according to ESPN, will be paying a luxury tax of $8,218,368 for the 2007-08 title season after exceeding the tax level.

Boston is one of eight teams paying a luxury tax, joining the New York Knicks ($19.7 million), Dallas Mavericks ($19.6 million), Cavaliers, Denver Nuggets, Miami Heat, Lakers and Phoenix Suns.

The Celtics were more than $8 million above the luxury tax level of $67,865,000.

In addition to Posey, the Celtics have five free agents, including Eddie House, Tony Allen, Scot Pollard, P.J. Brown and Sam Cassell.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/sports/x875597585/Celtics-James-Posey-is-closing-in-on-a-decision

brettn
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
it would be if Hill,Parker,Vaughn,Ginobili, and Mason are all going to stay on board.

Duncan,Thomas,Oberto,Mahimni will be our bigs so it looks like we are pretty much full from that stand point.

signing James posey who can go from SG to SF would be great for Udoka and Bonner. If of course, this rumor is true

Just stop... people are gonna start getting their hopes up again only to be kicked in the nuts. It's hard to even call this a "rumor." It's just people talking. Including his agent.

Obstructed_View
07-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm sure it's been said, but it's almost assured that the Spurs don't have enough money to do anything but push Posey's price up for whoever can actually afford him.

Ice009
07-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Just stop... people are gonna start getting their hopes up again only to be kicked in the nuts. It's hard to even call this a "rumor." It's just people talking. Including his agent.

Well Boston are over the cap. This could really make a lot of sense for them. They can have Udoka and Bonner for another year or two and if they don't work out then they have more cap space.

UCantHandleTheTruth
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
The Spurs are out of the Posey sweepstakes. You've got $2M of the mid-level left and Posey isn't signing for anything less than double that. Probably quite a bit more than double that, actually.

brettn
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
They cant cave in to his demands because their rookies (Powe, Rajon, Big Baby) will all be up for raises next year. The C's are at 71mil already and have yet to sign Posey, Cassell, House, or PJ. In my opinion, you cant afford to lose any of those guys... with the aeception of Sam. They cant sign any long term deals to their vet role players unless they want to lose their young role players. Pick your poison so to speak.

Good post, makes alot of sense as to why they're hesitant to give him any sort of long term deal.

td4mvp21
07-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh God I wish we could still get Posey.

brettn
07-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm starting to think more and more that he's leaning towards NO. Don't they have the full MLE left and seem like the team that's most willing/able to give him anything close to what he's desiring.

baseline bum
07-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Posey's not coming for fucking $2 million. I guess it wouldn't be July without RC fucking another summer up.

xtremesteven33
07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
check this out from the boston herald just 10 minutes ago regarding sign and trade deals with other teams.....

Those options may also include Maurice Evans, Michael Finley, Brent Barry and Bostjian Nachbar in deals of some manner. But as was the case with Maggette and James Jones signing elsewhere, the market is changing fast.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_07_10_Price_for_Posey_looks_on_the_rise/srvc=home&position=also

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Posey is going to sign with New Orleans, and that's going to suck. But hey, Spurs will have cap space to spend on the leftovers in 2010 :/

td4mvp21
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
I just don't understand why we wouldn't have gotten Posey over Mason. Posey is a long wing player, just the type to guard versatile forwards (Dirk, Jamison, etc.). That's what this team has needed for two plus years and we still haven't solved it.

Tully365
07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Posey could be someone's Bowen for the next few years. If the Hornets get him, I think it's bad news for everybody else. Considering his expected price tag and Boston's financial situation, it looks more and more unlikely that he stays. Now Boston will get a taste of how difficult it is to repeat, or to stay at a championship level for many years in a row.

SenorSpur
07-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd rather have the new Horry, than the old one.

brettn
07-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Posey could be someone's Bowen for the next few years. If the Hornets get him, I think it's bad news for everybody else. Considering his expected price tag and Boston's financial situation, it looks more and more unlikely that he stays. Now Boston will get a taste of how difficult it is to repeat, or to stay at a championship level for many years in a row.

Agreed. He's that gritty, veteran presence that they need. Couple that with last year's playoffs experience and the Hornets with Posey look pretty scary to be honest. It's gonna suck. And I'll probably curse the Spurs for not going after him when we meet them in the playoffs. But oh well.

GoGatos
07-10-2008, 12:02 AM

But then what would I do with my Udoka t-shirt?!?! Nooooooooo!!!!

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Resign Finley for one season at 3 million, combo him with Bonner for Posey.

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Why would Boston want Michael Finley?

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:31 AM
:lol

Had they signed Posey then they would get ripped for not "getting younger"

Once again, the FO can do no right apparently.

Leetonidas
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Why would Boston want Michael Finley?

Same reason they wanted Sam Cassel or P.J. Brown?

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Same reason they wanted Sam Cassel or P.J. Brown?

You can't see the difference between the three?

Once again, why would the Celtics want Bonner AND Finley.

There is nothing out there to support that rational.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 02:43 AM
You can't see the difference between the three?

Once again, why would the Celtics want Bonner AND Finley.

There is nothing out there to support that rational.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2008_07_10_Price_for_Posey_looks_on_the_rise/srvc=home&position=also

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:00 AM
That seems the paper is speculating.

heres my questions

why would the Celtics want FInley for 3 million
Why would the Celtics want matt bonner?
Why would the Celtics help the Spurs?

Bruno
07-10-2008, 03:10 AM
I pretty much expect Spurs signing Finley, Thomas and their rookies and calling it an offseason. :depressed
And I'm not even sure they will be able to keep Thomas. :depressed

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:16 AM
I pretty much expect Spurs signing Finley, Thomas and their rookies and calling it an offseason. :depressed
And I'm not even sure they will be able to keep Thomas. :depressed

Eh, if the Spurs offer 2 years 12 mill, he will more than likely stay.

I can see them taking the rest of the MLE and offering it to a guy like Najera and seeing if he bites.

If it goes

Thomas, Najera, rookies, Mason Jr, I would call that a B- offseason.

Bruno
07-10-2008, 03:24 AM
^We will see.
I don't expect Spurs to spend the rest of the MLE or the LLE on a FA.
They could also use a part of the MLE on Hairston and/or Gist to lock them for 3 years if they do well in practice/SL.

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Eh, no Luxury tax hit, so see no reason why they wouldn't.

timvp
07-10-2008, 03:34 AM
If the Spurs finish off the summer by re-signing Thomas and bringing back Finley, that'll be disappointing. If they miss out on Thomas, that'll make this summer even worse.

Too bad we'll have no idea if the wheels are still churning or if the summer is over. RIP Ludden.

UCantHandleTheTruth
07-10-2008, 03:36 AM
why would the Celtics want FInley for 3 million
Why would the Celtics want matt bonner?
Why would the Celtics help the Spurs?Exactly.

If Posey was leaving, the Celtics would just let him walk before taking on the junk some of you are talking about in a S&T and sending him to a team they may meet up with in the Finals. The Spurs lost any chance of landing Posey when they dipped into their MLE for Roger Mason Jr.

Sissiborgo
07-10-2008, 05:21 AM
I think we should try!:toast

urunobili
07-10-2008, 07:28 AM
i don't get all the Udoka hate...he was HUGE for us in the NOH series... wtf?

Rev Hill
07-10-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't get the talk of resigning Finley. To me, the signing of Mason is the signal for the exit of Finley. Same type of player/position. Signing Barry makes much more sense than Finley. Barry can play 3 positions, can still dribble drive a bit, a very good passer, etc. Plus the intangibles Barry brings of humor, leadership, a coach on the floor. Good guy to have on your bench.

Bring back Brent; thanks for your service but adios Michael.

mystargtr34
07-10-2008, 07:44 AM
I think Udoka did a little less than expected throughout the regular season, especially after his second game against Sac.

But he was probably the x factor in the NOH series and i think we can expect good things from him this coming season.

Biggems
07-10-2008, 07:49 AM
if Cleveland could get Posey....that would help out Lebron a lot. Then the Cavs would have 4 guys who can rain from beyond the arc to help out the Queen......Wally, Boobie, West, and Posey.

hater
07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I would not mind letting go of Udoka/Finley/Bonner for Posey. Get it done!!!

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Boston Hearld just said that no team is willing to offer the MLE to James Posey.

so, right now money is not why he will be signing with a team.

so theres still a VERY slim chance Spurs fans

SenorSpur
07-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Looks like the price for Posey is going up

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53505/20080710/price_for_posey_looks_on_the_rise/

The price for highly-coveted free agent forward James Posey appears to be on the rise, according to The Boston Herald.

Posey's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said on Wednesday night that he hoped to have something done in the next 48 hours.

According to league sources the Celtics are willing to offer him the full midlevel exception, but with Corey Maggette off the market (Warriors) several teams are expected to increase their offer for Posey.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Figured that New Orleans was going to bid for him.

beachwood
07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
If we somehow, someway get Posey, this offseason will be huge success. I would love to have this guy in a Spurs uniform come playoff time.