PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs will regret letting go of Barry...

Phenomanul
07-09-2008, 11:51 PM
...and seeing him land on a team like the Lakers (with the triangle offense), Celtics, Rockets or the Suns....

Hopefully he is one of the free-agents they decide to retain.

Of the old guards (Vaughn, Finley and Barry). Brent has the most versatility.

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Spurs have the money to resign him. They should.

DespЏrado
07-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I think Mason joining the Spurs means there is room for Barry if he wants to come back. I sure as hell don't want to lose the clutch shots and the best ball movement player on the team that is Barry.

Biggems
07-10-2008, 12:17 AM
the Spurs didnt let go of Barry....Barry opted out of his contract.

spurman20
07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Berry will likely resign for the LLE....which is what everyone else is offering him....we are out of the running now for most everyone else outside of a trade.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
I really like the guy but the Spurs will regret signing him if he breaks down when we need him the most again.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Spurs can offer Barry slightly more than the LLE now.

rj215
07-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Spurs can offer Barry slightly more than the LLE now.

would that mean that Kurt is out?

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 12:28 AM
I really like the guy but the Spurs will regret signing him if he breaks down when we need him the most again.

Gee, ya think? What a bold prediction. :lol

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 12:28 AM

They have Bird rights on KT, do they not?

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 12:29 AM

No. Spurs have Full Bird Rights with Thomas.

wisnub
07-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Barry should stay, Spurs got money too...everyone else throwing him LLE kindda money and we got a lil bit money left. I still believe he loves San Antonio. I guess Thomas should take reasonable minimum money or fuck off (no more $8 mill stupid thing) and Horry should leave

Dex
07-10-2008, 01:28 AM
It just pisses me off that somehow it's looking like we're gonna end up keeping Finley and Vaughn and letting Barry, Horry, maybe even Thomas walk.

Seems kinda back asswards if you ask me.

T Park
07-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Where are the indications that they are letting Kurt Thomas walk.

Vaughn had an option on his contract, are the SPurs supposed to just tear up the contract?

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 01:35 AM
It just pisses me off that somehow it's looking like we're gonna end up keeping Finley and Vaughn and letting Barry, Horry, maybe even Thomas walk.

Seems kinda back asswards if you ask me.

Who said the Spurs are resigning Finley? Vaughn isn't us to the Spurs, it's us to Vaughn.

Also, seriously, losing Horry isn't a big deal.

Also, the Spurs look to be intent on resigning Thomas.

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
well we havent let him go yet..

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Barry can fuck himself if he leaves.

sabar
07-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Barry is the heart of our motion offense, I imagine the FO knows this.

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Barry is the heart of our motion offense, I imagine the FO knows this.

I'd say the guy that wears 21, is the heart of anything.

kobyz
07-10-2008, 04:44 AM
i think Barry has nothing left in his tank, he is 40 years old

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2008, 04:48 AM

ask his hot wife dude....

Sissiborgo
07-10-2008, 05:38 AM
NOT GOOD!:bang

Phenomanul
07-10-2008, 06:40 AM

Seriously dude... Horry was the oldest guy on the team at 37... so explain how Barry can be 40....

An exaggeration for the sake of misinformation always has a hidden agenda behind it... If you don't like Barry, just say so. Don't make up lies to justify your dislike.

Biggems
07-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Seriously dude... Horry was the oldest guy on the team at 37... so explain how Barry can be 40....

An exaggeration for the sake of misinformation always has a hidden agenda behind it... If you don't like Barry, just say so. Don't make up lies to justify your dislike.

how can you criticize this poster, when you yourself started this entire thread with misleading information. you act as if it is the Spurs fault that Barry isn't under contract by saying the Spurs let him go. the fact is, Barry had a player option in his contract and he chose to decline it. He decided to not fulfill the final year of his contract.....the Spurs didn't decline. I guess Barry wanted to see what was out there and what the general interest in his services were, maybe sort of an ego boost. Also, this is going to be most likely his very last payday. I am sure he would to maximize both his monetary gain, as well as his chances of competing for another championship.

coopdogg3
07-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Seems like Barry is off the Suns radar, at least according to ESPN.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?univLogin02=stateChanged

Barry Out Of Picture, Suns Still Seek Wing Player
Brent Barry is off the Phoenix Suns radar. Darius Miles and Devin Brown are on the periphery. And Tyronn Lue remains the favorite to be Steve Nash's backup at point guard.

All indications now are that Barry will wind up in Houston, where the Rockets can offer him their bi-annual exception of $1.9 million.

With Gordan Giricek likely headed to Europe for a more lucrative offer, the search for a wing backup player continues. -- East Valley Tribune

FromWayDowntown
07-10-2008, 09:00 AM

I'm older than Brent Barry is -- by about 3 weeks.

:depressed

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
I like Brent Barry but he never got playing time, so wgaf.

MoSpur
07-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Its not official that he is leaving. I am sure the Spurs would rather have him instead of Finley.

Whisky Dog
07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I think the best thing for Barry would be to find another team. I like the guy, but Pop didn't even give him much burn in the WCF when the guy was red hot throughout the playoffs. He'd get more minutes and a better chance to contribute elsewhere.

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I like Finley also. Finlay > Mason

mrspurs
07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
its barry legs that dont work anymore.....he had some messed up calves for awhile, and they're not gonna get any better...he was good...still is...but not good enough for what we need.....id bet this...roger is more hungry then barry.......id take roger over barry if i had a game rolling in the gym.....just cos most know his calves wont last the whole game...let the man rest in peace somewhere else....we need fire and youth with good legs......barry is none of those, meaning no disrepect

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Maybe the Spurs can re-sign Barry for 5 years and pump him full of Botox.

spursnatic
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
We really need to keep Barry, Finley and Thomas!!The ones we need let go is Bonner, Vaughn and Horry. I still don't know why the hell they signed Bonner and Vaughn for more than 1 year contracts? I would hope that we could also possibly get J.R Smith or James Posey. They would be great additions to the Spurs!! :lobt2:

beachwood
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
i hope Barry comes back to the Spurs. I would hate to see him end his career in another uniform, playing against us in the playoffs.

Phenomanul
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
how can you criticize this poster, when you yourself started this entire thread with misleading information. you act as if it is the Spurs fault that Barry isn't under contract by saying the Spurs let him go. the fact is, Barry had a player option in his contract and he chose to decline it. He decided to not fulfill the final year of his contract.....the Spurs didn't decline. I guess Barry wanted to see what was out there and what the general interest in his services were, maybe sort of an ego boost. Also, this is going to be most likely his very last payday. I am sure he would to maximize both his monetary gain, as well as his chances of competing for another championship.

I guess you forgot about the part where the Spurs made multiple attempts at trading him... Oh and that they actually succeded only to get him back for less than his worth. The Spurs' loyalty towards Barry has always had a question mark... not the other way around.

Sure Barry and the Spurs still have some negociating to do. My main point, however, seemed to have eluded both of you: if the Spurs don't re-sign Brent Barry, he may end up shooting the daggers that will knock us out of the playoffs next year.

Suggesting that he's "got nothing left in the tank because he's forty" is not only subjectively false, it's just downright false.

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
i hope Barry comes back to the Spurs. I would hate to see him end his career in another uniform, playing against us in the playoffs.

Every other Barry in their family has finished their career with the Rockets. He's just keeping up with a good family tradition. :lol

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
From RotoWorld:

Brent Barry-G- Spurs Jul. 10 - 12:45 pm et

Free agent guard Brent Barry is likely going to sign a contract with the Houston Rockets.

He was being pursued by the Suns, but it sounds like they're going to end up with Tyronn Lue instead. The Rockets can offer Barry more than the Suns with their bi-annual exception of $1.9 million. As for the Suns, Devin Brown and Darius Miles appear to still be on their radar if the Lue deal breaks down.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 05:25 PM
I like Finley also. Finlay > Mason

:lmao

Fernando TD21
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I'll miss Barry. I think the Spurs should've kept him and he still can be a useful player.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Funny, a month ago it was 'the Spurs are old and hang on to these old guys way too long.'

Today it's crying over a lost free agent swingman who will turn 37 this year.

mrspurs
07-11-2008, 09:29 AM
he's a rocket so we will see each other plenty....so its not like we really got rid of him...he will just shine the pine somewhere else now

Whisky Dog
07-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Spurs did him a favor. Pop wasnt going to play him, if he didnt play him when he was red hot and Manu was on one sucky leg then he'll never play him. Good for you, Brent. Get some PT.

Tully365
07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Brent Barry was a great guy to have. After playing for the terrible Clippers and post-Jordan Bulls early on, he earned and deserved to play for a great team in the end. He gave Spur fans lots of good memories, he got his Championship ring, and now he gets to continue the family tradition of retiring in Houston. Best of luck to him. Who is the funniest guy in the Spur locker-room now?

rapliketp
07-13-2008, 12:46 AM
Rockets have him pegged as their 6th man. With the extra playing time he's going to break down before 2009. Good player, but his body is too old.

GrandeDavid
07-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Can't have everything one desires. Good luck in H-Town, Barry, and thanks for the memories and contributions.

MarHill
07-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Can't have everything one desires. Good luck in H-Town, Barry, and thanks for the memories and contributions.

I agree.

Good luck Brent!!

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
He's not going to hold up all season as the Rockets 6th man. At his age, I don't believe 20ish minutes a game is possible.

ducks
07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I guess you forgot about the part where the Spurs made multiple attempts at trading him... Oh and that they actually succeded only to get him back for less than his worth. The Spurs' loyalty towards Barry has always had a question mark... not the other way around.

Sure Barry and the Spurs still have some negociating to do. My main point, however, seemed to have eluded both of you: if the Spurs don't re-sign Brent Barry, he may end up shooting the daggers that will knock us out of the playoffs next year.

Suggesting that he's "got nothing left in the tank because he's forty" is not only subjectively false, it's just downright false.

he is going to be hurt
he wants 20 minutes a game
let him go to houston