PDA

View Full Version : Barry out of Suns' picture, might wind up in Houston

tinysands
07-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Barry out of picture, Suns still seek wing player

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120427

Jerry Brown, Tribune

Brent Barry is off the Phoenix Suns radar. Darius Miles and Devin Brown are on the periphery. And Tyronn Lue remains the favorite to be Steve Nash’s backup at point guard.

As he was last March, the 36-year-old Barry showed interest in signing with the Suns — even though they could only offer him the $1.262 veteran minimum salary. But all indications now are that Barry will wind up in Houston, where the Rockets can offer him their bi-annual exception of $1.9 million.

The Suns weren’t in a position to match or beat the offer. If they fill their remaining roster spots with rookie Robin Lopez and nothing other than veteran minimum contracts, their payroll will be $76.1 million for the 2008-09 season. That’s a shade under $5 million over the luxury tax, leaving the Suns with a payroll and tax bill over $80 million ($81.1 million) — the highest in franchise history.

So with Gordan Giricek likely headed to Europe for a more lucrative offer, the search for a wing backup player continues.

Miles, who has been working out locally with former Suns trainer Robin Pound, was examined by the Suns medical staff on Wednesday — specifically, the right knee that has kept him out of the game for more than two years and led to a retirement settlement with Portland.

While there is some interest for Phoenix, Miles’ past (injuries, substance use, etc.) could go a long way to shying them away. The Portland Oregonian reported that Miles would miss the first 10 games with any new team to serve a suspension for violating the league’s Anti-Drug program — which would be the “fourth strike” on the program’s ladder.

Brown, who averaged 7.5 points in 78 regular-season games with Cleveland last year, is also of interest to the Suns. He is an above-average defender with offensive skills and could fit the bill price-wise (he made $1.2 million last season).

Meanwhile, Lue remains the No. 1 choice at point guard. The two sides have been keeping in contact, although no formal offer has been submitted by Phoenix to this point. Anthony Johnson remains another player of interest.

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 12:47 AM
So we can give him $2 million. :)

Russ
07-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Geez, how bad does Barry really hate Pop? :rolleyes

timvp
07-10-2008, 12:58 AM
But all indications now are that Barry will wind up in Houston

http://www.burning-pants.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/bullseye.jpg

:(

DaDakota
07-10-2008, 01:01 AM
Barry gets a lot more playing time backing up Tmac and Shane, and maybe gets to play the PG some in Houston, probably 20+ MPG......which may break him but it is what he is looking for....

DD

07-10-2008, 01:09 AM
it'll be a loss for the spurs if he goes to houston. if barry does leave, i hope he takes horry with him.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 01:09 AM
Bye, bye Barry! Guess we are stuck with Finley... :depressed

Blackjack
07-10-2008, 01:10 AM
If the Spurs lose Barry on top of losing out on Maggette... This off-season is going to be hard to salvage. :bang

koopa
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
i guess barry wants his season to end early now that he's old....... yao will break something again, and t-mac will miss a few games again and then chock it all away......... have fun losing in houston if you go there barry

Killakobe81
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Barry can still play well in spots ...

timvp
07-10-2008, 01:13 AM
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/extras/ww2/images/farewell.jpg

07-10-2008, 01:15 AM
spurs didn't lose out on maggette, it would only have been a loss if maggette had signed for the mle elsewhere. however, i always thought barry was an important part of the team during playoff time. barry's exit would take away a clutch playoff player.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 01:15 AM
If the Spurs lose Barry on top of losing out on Maggette... This off-season is going to be hard to salvage. :bang

Maggette just used us to drive up his price... he had no real intention of ever signing with us; it was all talk.

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 01:16 AM
damn it, why cant finley goto the rockets instead.

T Park
07-10-2008, 01:16 AM

How exactly are you supposed to counteract 10 million a year genius?

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Maggette just used us to drive up his price... he had no real intention of ever signing with us; it was all talk.

Drive up his price? If the Warriors wanted they could have offered just 5.7 million a year and that would be more than anyone else.

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 01:20 AM
Barry is a moron if he goes to Houston. They aren't winning a title. Spurs can offer him equal the money and playing time. Potentially another championship. Someone tell him about the odd years!

T Park
07-10-2008, 01:21 AM
"indications" were Maggette was gonna sign in SA too.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 01:24 AM
I think Barry is gone. Doesn't seem like either side has much interest in keeping him in S.A.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 01:30 AM
It's like what I've been saying all along. :lol

Spursfans might as well be Rockets fans. We have all your players anyways. Horry will be next.

Then it will be Scola, Horry, Barry. :downspin:

Seems like a one direction shuttle straight down I-10

LOL

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 01:32 AM
im not a rockets fan but tmac and yao are one of my favorites, if the spurs dont win i would cheer for the rockets, but i still dont want to see barry or horry there =p

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 01:33 AM

Spursfans might as well be Rockets fans. We have all your players anyways. Horry will be next.

LOL

Dude, so far it's one player that SA has traded to the Rockets. It seems like you live off the "Spurs and Rockets are the same team because they traded us a player" stuff way too much.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 01:34 AM

LOL

You can have Horry... just would hate seeing Barry on the Rockets.

T Park
07-10-2008, 01:40 AM

LOL

First round and out.

Again

:lol

LOL

Indazone
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
He'll still look good in Red and he'll get a shoe contract with Anta :toast

T Park
07-10-2008, 01:43 AM
He'll still look good in Red and he'll get a shoe contract with Anta :toast

Funny, I thought basketball was about championships, not fashion.

Hit the road.

DespЏrado
07-10-2008, 01:54 AM
If that is all the Rockets are offering why would the Spurs let him go when they still have the rest of the MLE to throw at him? Barry looks like he is the Spurs to lose, I just don't see how the Spurs can afford to be so cavalier with letting Barry walk.

He's a great locker room guy, he hits big shots, he is a great play maker, and even though he is older he can fill a very crucial Steve Kerr role. Of the three of our old farts Barry is the one I really want to see return for another year.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 01:57 AM
Funny, I thought basketball was about championships, not fashion.

Hit the road.

Hitting the road is what Barry is doing :lobt2:

T Park
07-10-2008, 01:58 AM

Why the LOB icon?

:lmao

The Rockets aint sniffing that fucker for centuries.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 01:58 AM

LOLExcept the Rockets never win anything.

LOL

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 01:59 AM

What's the title for?

Did Houston win "Least Likely to Advance Past First Round, Not Collect 200."

Indazone
07-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Why the LOB icon?

:lmao

The Rockets aint sniffing that fucker for centuries.

Just thought I'd wave it around for ya! :danceclub

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:00 AM
I fell for the attention whore's trap.

My bad.

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Just thought I'd wave it around for ya! :danceclub

4>2

no need to remind me.

Blackjack
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM
How exactly are you supposed to counteract 10 million a year genius?

WTF, smart guy???

Did the Spurs pursue Maggette???

It's not fucking rocket-science.

I realize it was a long-shot, but had the Warriors not been.... Well... The Warriors and over-paid, It's not out of the question he would have signed with the Spurs.

Actually your favorite guy (Don Harris) was actually told that Maggette informed his agent that he was going to the Spurs unless he could get him 10mil. per. Obviously we all know how that turned out.

Not being able to get a fourth scorer (Maggette or not) and losing our best passer and 3-point shooter is not an ideal off-season. Thus, it will be hard to salvage. Not impossible, but hard.

I'm not real enthusiastic about having a bunch of swing-men (not named Parker or Ginobili) that can't create their own shot or get to the free-throw line. It would be nice if the Big 3 could get some of the weight taken off their shoulders every now and then.

They've still got the potential to make a trade of some sort so I'm not all doom and gloom. We've got the TE that could get us a S.Williams-type player and we could possibly get in on a trade (directly, or as a third-party to make #'s match) that could turn everything around.

If not... Then our rookies are really going to have to come through.

koopa
07-10-2008, 02:04 AM

LOL

scola was never offically a spur since he never signed a contract with us.....so you don't have shit, and this team will never be shit as long as yao and tmac are y'alls best players

wisnub
07-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Why does Houston always want to or try to steal ours??? Whats wrong with them?? Barry should stay...

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:35 AM
WTF, smart guy???

Did the Spurs pursue Maggette???

It's not fucking rocket-science.

I realize it was a long-shot, but had the Warriors not been.... Well... The Warriors and over-paid, It's not out of the question he would have signed with the Spurs.

Actually your favorite guy (Don Harris) was actually told that Maggette informed his agent that he was going to the Spurs unless he could get him 10mil. per. Obviously we all know how that turned out.

Not being able to get a fourth scorer (Maggette or not) and losing our best passer and 3-point shooter is not an ideal off-season. Thus, it will be hard to salvage. Not impossible, but hard.

I'm not real enthusiastic about having a bunch of swing-men (not named Parker or Ginobili) that can't create their own shot or get to the free-throw line. It would be nice if the Big 3 could get some of the weight taken off their shoulders every now and then.

They've still got the potential to make a trade of some sort so I'm not all doom and gloom. We've got the TE that could get us a S.Williams-type player and we could possibly get in on a trade (directly, or as a third-party to make #'s match) that could turn everything around.

If not... Then our rookies are really going to have to come through.

My favorite guy?

Link to wherever I liked that balding wind bag?

Blackjack
07-10-2008, 02:40 AM
My favorite guy?

Link to wherever I liked that balding wind bag?

I guess I've really got to get better using :lol :lmao :downspin: if I want people to know when I'm being sarcastic.

For future reference.... I'm a fucking smart-ass! :lmao

T Park
07-10-2008, 02:41 AM
BTW, who was available that they passed over that they should've gone after?

Nothing.

Period.

Blackjack
07-10-2008, 02:51 AM
I'm sorry.... But WTF are you talking about???

I gave an assessment of the Spurs' situation, not an indictment on the F.O.

You won't find a bigger Spurs fan than myself but I'm not some defensive, blind, homer, looking to defend every percieved slight I see.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 02:52 AM
http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/23/001/5B/27/F2/50/TJQOa96EmnKn1Hz+D+bqLYmrTgPtkdaO015C.jpg

Yep he looks good :)

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 02:53 AM
http://shutter06.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/23/001/5B/27/F2/50/TJQOa96EmnKn1Hz+D+bqLYmrTgPtkdaO015C.jpg

Yep he looks good :)

It took you an hour to do that? :lol

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Yeah he actually looks dead like his head was sewn onto the corpse of Bob Sura.

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 03:35 AM
Brent Barry is off the Phoenix Suns radar. Darius Miles and Devin Brown are on the periphery. And Tyronn Lue remains the favorite to be Steve Nash’s backup at point guard.

Suns again trying to lure Barry to Phoenix

Read Jerry Brown's blog, 'Rim Shots'

As he was last March, the 36-year-old Barry showed interest in signing with the Suns — even though they could only offer him the $1.262 veteran minimum salary. But all indications now are that Barry will wind up in Houston, where the Rockets can offer him their bi-annual exception of $1.9 million.

Click here to article (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/120427)

yah!

oops, duplicate!
plz remove/lock
i was too happy

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 03:43 AM
dear god, father of heaven, the holy spirit and holy trinity and all the later day saints, budda, ala or what ever there is...

i am a loser in life.
my only wish is for barry to win 3 championships with the rockets,
so i can shove it to Dynasty, T Park, ChumpDumper, Buddy Holly and all the other spurs haters' face.

5>4.

you just wait.
:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 03:46 AM
Dare to dream.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2008, 03:48 AM
dear god, father of heaven, the holy spirit and holy trinity and all the later day saints, budda, ala or what ever there is...

i am a loser in life.
so i can shove it to Dynasty, T Park, ChumpDumper, Buddy Holly and all the other spurs haters' face.

5>4.

you just wait.

Then you woke up. Went to the restroom. Popped a few more zits, cried a bit and resumed your pathetically mundane and sad life.

anakha
07-10-2008, 04:34 AM
I will be rather surprised if Barry plays three more years, let alone win three consecutive championships with the Rockets.

Sissiborgo
07-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Great!:(

Mal
07-10-2008, 05:49 AM

wooow, Not going to happen anyway

Rev Hill
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Simple question: Someone explain to me why the Spurs would want Finley back over Barry? Why?

Mason is Finley Jr. now. Brent brings so many other intangibles to the game. He can play 3 positions, leadership, humor, coach on the floor. I just don't see how Finley would be the choice to sign over Barry. At least Barry can still put the ball on the floor and drive a bit.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Apparently Pop and RC like Finley back more than Barry.

Probably one of the dumber off-season moves they've made in recent history.

mrspurs
07-10-2008, 08:57 AM
case ya didnt hear me before...dont let the door hit on ya the way out...ill pitch in 1 buck if you take horry back with ya, he could back up yao, and for 4 games or more we can all see each other have some fun and make some good money....wait it wouldnt be fair cos you and scolla would finally get to play together after all these yrs.....nothing lasts forever, and it was good while it lasted......gonna be funny watching manu, murder you, like he does in practice( but most never get to see that)...gonna be real fun....

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Criticizing a team for failing in the past few years is the height of ignorance unless you see that their drafts and moves don't help the team to improve their potential for the playoffs.

You have to be a true homer not to realize that Houston is building a better team every year to challenge in the West--while we seem to be failing to improve.

Barry offers good perimeter shooting to help space the floor for Yao and TMAC plus a veteran point guard who could provide some good minutes for them.

Houston has a problem at point guard and is trying to shore it up with Barry who could easily earn more minutes in Houston than in SA.

I wouldn't knock Houston's efforts to improve unless you can point to comparable moves by the Spurs.

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Criticizing a team for failing in the past few years is the height of ignorance unless you see that their drafts and moves don't help the team to improve their potential for the playoffs.

You have to be a true homer not to realize that Houston is building a better team every year to challenge in the West--while we seem to be failing to improve.

Barry offers good perimeter shooting to help space the floor for Yao and TMAC plus a veteran point guard who could provide some good minutes for them.

Houston has a problem at point guard and is trying to shore it up with Barry who could easily earn more minutes in Houston than in SA.

I wouldn't knock Houston's efforts to improve unless you can point to comparable moves by the Spurs.

ahh finally, an impartial analysis.

CubanMustGo
07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
ahh finally, an impartial analysis.

Except with all those "efforts to improve" Houston still can't get out of the first round.

"impartial" != "supporting my particular POV," nil.ball.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Over the last few years the Spurs have picked up some O'Briens while the Yao-McGrady Rockets have failed to break their playoff hymen with a win.

The Rockets are the poster child in the NBA for making a shitload of moves that sound great to fans without much to show for it.

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I think Barry is gone and the Spurs will bring Finley back

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM
I think Barry is gone and the Spurs will bring Finley back

:pctoss

cant w8 4 2012
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
finley could still be useful,just not as a starter,or even a sixth man.any other role would not b so bad.

loveforthegame
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Why does everyone think money is the answer to keeping Barry? So they can offer a million or so more than Houston. Big deal. Barry will find more minutes in Houston whether Finley is here or not. I don't think money was the reason Barry opted out but a chance to go to a team where he can play and be a factor.

I'll be shocked if Finley signs here unless he'd be happy as a end of the bench/mentor type player. I don't think he cares about money or whether he starts or not but I would think he'd like to play more minutes than what he'd get here.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah, Barry is needed by Houston far more than by the Spurs.

pad300
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Why does everyone think money is the answer to keeping Barry? So they can offer a million or so more than Houston. Big deal. Barry will find more minutes in Houston whether Finley is here or not. I don't think money was the reason Barry opted out but a chance to go to a team where he can play and be a factor.

I'll be shocked if Finley signs here unless he'd be happy as a end of the bench/mentor type player. I don't think he cares about money or whether he starts or not but I would think he'd like to play more minutes than what he'd get here.

I'm not sold on Barry being gone. I think Barry will only leave if he gets an offer that actually knocks his socks off. It appears to me that the spurs have set themselves up to trump any offer below the LLE with the remainder of their MLE (after the Mason deal) (and a couple of thousand left over, so we can use the MLE again next year...). As far as minutes goes, he has consistently won the starting SG spot after Manu gets moved to the bench (as has happpened several years in a row now...), only losing it when he gets injured... When he's been healthy he's got to play - I think that is all he will get out of any other team; certainly any contender...
Personally, I hope he's back. I worry about Mason being able to fit in right away.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Apparently Pop and RC like Finley back more than Barry.

Probably one of the dumber off-season moves they've made in recent history.

Have you been around lately?

ducks
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
barry might want houston more
he will play more in houston even if spurs like barry over finley

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
With the Spurs signing Mason, it's clear they need more size and I don't think Barry gives them that.

Look for them to bring back Finley on the cheap or sign a bigger SF/PF type.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Pop can't be bothered to try to keep Bones when he's busy keeping his mouth firmly planted on Finley's chode. I guess that means the Spurs let KT go to the Lakers while they throw what they can at Horry. Then they can grind Bonner's value down to nothing and pay a couple million dollars to some team to take his contract.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Pop can't be bothered to try to keep Bones when he's busy keeping his mouth firmly planted on Finley's chode. I guess that means the Spurs let KT go to the Lakers while they throw what they can at Horry. Then they can grind Bonner's value down to nothing and pay a couple million dollars to some team to take his contract.

Sounds about right...except for the part about KT. I think they're going to make a concerted effort (even if it means overpaying) to re-sign him.

On Bonner, I think you're more accurate than those that are saying the Spurs would get anything of value out of the deal. They could offer a second round pick and...say, the cash they just got back for being under the lux tax threshold, to have some team take him off their hands.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 11:20 AM
It would be so much easier to just play him. I have a difficult time believing that there weren't more opportunities to play than he got during an 82 game season.

GrandeDavid
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Barry got a couple of rings, good for him. Time for both sides to move on.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I would love for the Spurs to play against the Rockets with Barry at the point.

tmtcsc
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Why does Houston always want to or try to steal ours??? Whats wrong with them?? Barry should stay...

Former Rockets that wore a Spurs uniform:

Carl Herrera
Sleepy Floyd
Vernon Maxwell
Mario Elie
Chucky Brown
Moses Malone
John Lucas
Mike Dunleavy
Billy Paultz
Robert Horry

That's just a few. They've played for both teams at some point.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Carl Herrera
Sleepy Floyd
Vernon Maxwell
Mario Elie
Chucky Brown
Moses Malone
John Lucas
Mike Dunleavy
Billy Paultz
Robert Horry

Then ask yourselves how many of our players we've donated to the third TX team the Mavs? We gave em Juwan Howard :lol

LakerLanny
07-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I think Barry is gone. Doesn't seem like either side has much interest in keeping him in S.A.

I agree with you, but it is odd to me because he played very well vs the Lakers and is a clutch guy.

Obviously, SA is looking to get younger. Barry is better than Mason, but Mason is younger and probably fits with the long term plan better.

I wish the Lakers were smart enough to sign Barry with the LLE and forget overpaying the overrated Vujacic.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2008, 09:22 PM

Carl Herrera
Sleepy Floyd
Vernon Maxwell
Mario Elie
Chucky Brown
Moses Malone
John Lucas
Mike Dunleavy
Billy Paultz
Robert Horry

Max was originally a Spur.

LakerHater
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Billy Paultz was a Spur 1st! http://db.funformobile.com/images/smiles/mad.gif (javascript:emoticon('form_text',':mad:'))

nil.ball
07-30-2008, 01:20 AM

i am a loser in life.

5>4.

you just wait.

Then you woke up. Went to the restroom. Popped a few more zits, cried a bit and resumed your pathetically mundane and sad life.

Except with all those "efforts to improve" Houston still can't get out of the first round.

"impartial" != "supporting my particular POV," nil.ball.

haters keep hating, god might just be reading his emails these days. :p:

anakha
07-30-2008, 02:21 AM
haters keep hating, god might just be reading his emails these days. :p:

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/7/29/f_13m_da782e7.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/29/f_13m_da782e7.jpg&srv=img26)

nil.ball
07-30-2008, 10:49 AM
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/7/29/f_13m_da782e7.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/29/f_13m_da782e7.jpg&srv=img26)

well he better get busy, i don't see my name on the top 20 list :lol