PDA

View Full Version : Spurs looking good.

coachmac87
07-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Everybody is going to underestimate this offseason.

I think we have improved greatly and still have the chance to improve in our future.

seriously think about it. Maggette would have been nice but he obviously is not a winner and his attitude just doesnt fit with us. He doesnt care about winning he justs wants to get paid because this was his last chance for big money.

Roger Mason Jr is a replacement of Michael Finley or Brent Barry.

Unlike Finley or Barry, is a way better scorer and could erupt for 20 almost any given night. Finley and Barry combined to score 20pts in a game maybe like 10 times all year, just a wild guess.

But i can see Mason moving into the starting lineup during the season and become a reliable shooter/scorer off the penetration and double teams his the big 3 creates.

Dont sleep on George Hill either.......

This kid can easily be the big sleeper in the draft. You could not find this guy on ESPN top draft prospects before the draft. Now he is ranked top 20. Still a little high but hey this cat was nowhere close to lottery and played at IUPUI!!!!!!!!:lmao

He will improve our bench scoring as well, and he seems like a player who can get hot and score maybe 25. I like bringing in players that can get hot any night and just score the basketball like Hill and Mason do,it takes so much pressure off Manu.

I think we have improved as a team. Seriously we were at the WCF, the oldest team and had our best player all year play on one foot.

Spurs are going to be fine fellas...im getting excited thinking about it.

Last Years Rotation

PF-Tim Duncan 34 mpg
PG-Tony Parker 33mpg
SG-Manu Ginobili 31.1 mpg
SF-Bruce Bowen 30.3 mpg
SG- Michael Finley 27 mpg
C-Kurt Thomas 22 mpg

BENCH MINUTES
C-Fab Oberto 20 mpg
SF- Ime Udoka 18 mpg
SG-Brent Barry 17 mpg
PG- Jacque Vaughn 15 mpg
PF- Robert Horry 12.9 mpg
PF-Matt Bonner 12 mpg
PG-Mighty Mouse :lmao

Next Year
PG-Tony Parker 35 mpg
PF- Tim Duncan 33 mpg
SG- Manu Ginobili 28 mpg
SF-Bruce Bowen 22 mpg
C- Kurt Thomas 22 mpg

BENCH MINUTES
SG- Roger Mason jr 18-20 mpg
SF- Ime Udoka 20 mpg
PG- George Hill 15 mpg
C- Fab Oberto 15 mpg
C- Ian Mahimi 12 mpg

Not sexy but we are a better team....

brettn
07-10-2008, 02:27 AM
Well Hill and Mason are obviously the big question marks going into next season, Ian to a lesser extent. You're a little optimistic about how productive they'll be I think, especially with Hill being a rookie, but I guess we'll see. Not a bad assessment of how good we COULD be next year. If Hill and Mason both prove to be reliable scorers, then this offseason will turn out to be a success for sure. Whether it actually plays out like you described it is a different story though. I'd feel alot better if we found a way to re-sign barry to be honest. Good post though.

InRareForm
07-10-2008, 02:47 AM
^(optimistic)

I agree tho but not sure it will be enough.

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Azubuike, guys like that I could see starting.

A guy like Roger Mason Jr I just CAN'T see starting.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Azubuike, guys like that I could see starting.

A guy like Roger Mason Jr I just CAN'T see starting.

Why?

I'm just curious. To me they are pretty much the same level. They both averaged 21.4 mpg this past year and both averaged about 9 points. Same size. Azubuike rebounds more, Mason shoots better from 3.

To me, it's a wash.

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:15 AM
We shall see.

I think the Spurs needed a guy who could create some offense at times, and a guy like Azubuike or someone else of that ilk was more adept to doing it than Roger Mason.

If he does, I'll be more than glad to eat crow.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 03:18 AM
We shall see.

I think the Spurs needed a guy who could create some offense at times, and a guy like Azubuike or someone else of that ilk was more adept to doing it than Roger Mason.

If he does, I'll be more than glad to eat crow.

Well I'm not a fan of Azubuike at all, so it's all the same to me. :lol

In his games as a starter last season, Mason scored more than Azubuike did in his games as a starter (if that means anything :lol).

T Park
07-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Two semi comparable offenses so yeah that could.

I dunno, I just was hoping for a "create his own offense" or more of a proven offensive guy, not just someone who all of a sudden discovered scoring in basketball was a good thing.

TJastal
07-10-2008, 03:36 AM
Why?

I'm just curious. To me they are pretty much the same level. They both averaged 21.4 mpg this past year and both averaged about 9 points. Same size. Azubuike rebounds more, Mason shoots better from 3.

To me, it's a wash.

You are serious?

These two do not even remotely play the same type of game. Azu is a penetrator, and looks to have great ability to get into the paint and get shots off where he has no business being. Great rebounding guard, with the size to matchup at small forward. Good wingspan and defender, has ability to get up and bother shots. More athletic.

Mason looks more like what the spurs drafted George Hill for.. a smaller combo guard that likes to spot up from 3pt range or just inside the arc. He's gonna be the new Michael Finley, 1 dimensional player that when hot, will help spread the floor for Duncan... and if he's not, well .... the spurs are going to struggle.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 03:41 AM
You are serious?

These two do not even remotely play the same type of game. Azu is a penetrator, and looks to have great ability to get into the paint and get shots off where he has no business being. Great rebounding guard, with the size to matchup at small forward. Good wingspan and defender, has ability to get up and bother shots. More athletic.

Mason looks more like what the spurs drafted George Hill for.. a smaller combo guard that likes to spot up from 3pt range or just inside the arc. He's gonna be the new Michael Finley, 1 dimensional player that when hot, will help spread the floor for Duncan... and if he's not, well .... the spurs are going to struggle.

I didn't say they had similar skillset or play the same game at all. I said to me it's a wash because they are about the same level (not great/not horrible). Their production would be the same on the Spurs ... about 8-10 points if they get a decent amount of minutes.

The Spurs like Mason's D - that's why they were after him last offseason. Azubuike is much more athletic but he's also too short to play the 3. So basically they are both just shooting guards. They get the job done differently, but the results would probably be relatively the same on the Spurs team.

50 cent
07-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Not thrilled. Kori is right.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 04:28 AM
This signing shows how little confidence they actually have in George Hill, who should have been a 2nd round pick.

timvp
07-10-2008, 04:34 AM
This signing shows how little confidence they actually have in George Hill, who should have been a 2nd round pick.Hill is going to play point guard. Mason is going to play shooting guard. Hill might be like the fifth option at shooting guard and Mason might be the third or fourth option at point guard but it's a stretch to say the Spurs went after Mason because they lack confidence in Hill.

Bruno
07-10-2008, 04:40 AM
Spurs biggest need after the Mason signing is a long SF/mobile PF.
It has been Spurs biggest need for years and it still hasn't been addressed. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Hill is going to play point guard. Mason is going to play shooting guard. Hill might be like the fifth option at shooting guard and Mason might be the third or fourth option at point guard but it's a stretch to say the Spurs went after Mason because they lack confidence in Hill.It shows how little confidence they have in Duncan, since he also plays a different position.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2008, 04:47 AM
if barry is leaving

i recommend the spurs use the TE on JJ REDICK whose doing jackshit on the magic

TJastal
07-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Anyone who thinks Roger Mason is a great signing.. is in for a rude awakening.

The last thing this team needed was another one dimensional combo guard spot up shooter type with no athletic skills to create shots... now just watch the spurs will resign Finley too.... :rolleyes

Azubuike would have been awesome as a Spur.. he has a special talent of penetrating and scoring around the rim, getting put-backs and alley oop baskets.. *and* he can shoot from downtown just like Mason and has a good midrange game. With all the easy shots TD and Fab miss around the rim, this kid would have had a field day cleaning up the mess.

Defensively, I don't see how Roger Mason is going to help there either, he looks way too short and stocky to guard anyone ... smaller quick guys are going to beat him off the dribble, and taller 2 guards are going to post him up. Kelenna looks to me head and shoulders (literally) above Mason in that category as well. Please find me a youtube video of Mason stuffing JR Smith, or even anyone for that matter. All I see the guy do in any video I watch of him is park his lead ass out on the perimeter and chuck up set shots.

This offseason I would give a rate a C- so far, the only bright spot being the drafting of Hill, and the way Chalmers is playing so far in the summer leagues, looks like that might have been a mistake, too. :bang

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1muMt3Q-k

timvp
07-10-2008, 05:04 AM
^^ The YouTube Scout has spoken :sleep

Sissiborgo
07-10-2008, 05:05 AM
I want to keep barry for 1 more year:toast

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Defensively, I don't see how Roger Mason is going to help there either, he looks way too short and stocky to guard anyone ... smaller quick guys are going to beat him off the dribble, and taller 2 guards are going to post him up. Kelenna looks to me head and shoulders (literally) above Mason in that category as well.

Kelenna is about 6'4. I don't think Roger Mason is any shorter than that.

kobyz
07-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Kelenna is about 6'4. I don't think Roger Mason is any shorter than that.

but Kelenna has super athleticism to make it up for that

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 05:11 AM
but Kelenna has super athleticism to make it up for that

I'm not arguing that.

But this guy is trying to say that Kelenna is tall compared to Roger Mason being short and stocky. That's simply not the case. They are both about 6'4, 220.

TJastal
07-10-2008, 05:12 AM
^^ The YouTube Scout has spoken :sleep

Well since I don't have an extensive library of last year's games...youtube is all we have right now.. but there are enough videos out there to understand what type of game somebody has, and its clear Mason's game is 1 dimensional and its easy to see that Mason is short, stocky, and looks like he's dragging a chunk of lead in his shorts as he runs.

timvp
07-10-2008, 05:13 AM
Well since I don't have an extensive library of last year's games...youtube is all we have right now.. but there are enough videos out there to understand what type of game somebody has, and its clear Mason's game is 1 dimensional and its easy to see that Mason is short, stocky, and looks like he's dragging a chunk of lead in his shorts as he runs.Post the videos you are basing your YouTube scouting of Mason off of.

TJastal
07-10-2008, 05:17 AM
I'm not arguing that.

But this guy is trying to say that Kelenna is tall compared to Roger Mason being short and stocky. That's simply not the case. They are both about 6'4, 220.

Azu to me looks about 6'5-6'6 and has a way longer reach and springs.. which translates to a much bigger player.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 05:18 AM
Azu to me looks about 6'5-6'6 and has a way longer reach and springs.. which translates to a much bigger player.

Azu is not 6'5 - 6'6. The knock on him by some is that he's closer to 6'3 than to 6'5 (as he's listed).

TJastal
07-10-2008, 05:24 AM
This is the main video I'm basing my observations on

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X6-3fmFkvT8

timvp
07-10-2008, 05:27 AM
This is the main video I'm basing my observations on

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X6-3fmFkvT8Not sure how you can base anything off of a video that shows him shooting a bunch of threes and that's it.

TJastal
07-10-2008, 05:29 AM
Azu is not 6'5 - 6'6. The knock on him by some is that he's closer to 6'3 than to 6'5 (as he's listed).

I'd be very surprised to find out this is true. He plays above the rim, the way a guy 6'7-6'8 with average athletic ability would.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm in wait and see mode for Mason. The Spurs wanted him last summer after a horrible shooting year in 06-07 by him (0.330 FG, 0.324 3FG). So they coveted him for more than just shooting. His good shooting in 07-08 might have just been a fluke because he's never shot well before that .. so I don't know why people are quick to say he's "just a good perimeter shooter." He might not even be that. :lol

TJastal
07-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Not sure how you can base anything off of a video that shows him shooting a bunch of threes and that's it.

Your right, all I'm saying that he could be a 1 dimensional player.. and that's my guess based on what his game looks like to me.. and the video supports that notion. Hope I'm wrong about it.

urunobili
07-10-2008, 07:33 AM
It has been Spurs biggest need for years and it still hasn't been addressed. :rolleyes
do you think Gist will be good enough to have a shot at being that what you are saying we lack?

mystargtr34
07-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Ill wait to see what they do with the rest of the MLE and the LLE before i rate the off season

So far, i give it a straight C

Slippy
07-10-2008, 08:04 AM
He would be a success in my book if he can knock down open shots.. as in make teams pay for leaving him open and play adequate defense. The create his own shot and penetrate stuff is overrated around here. The Spurs got the big 3 for that. Horry, Finley, Udoka, Vaughn and Bowen missed way too many good looks last time around. In turn adding to the workload of Tim, Manu and Tone. For some reason Spurs fans have forgotten that.

remingtonbo2001
07-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I think the Spurs are planning on bringing Rob back.

TJastal
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
He would be a success in my book if he can knock down open shots.. as in make teams pay for leaving him open and play adequate defense. The create his own shot and penetrate stuff is overrated around here. The Spurs got the big 3 for that. Horry, Finley, Udoka, Vaughn and Bowen missed way too many good looks last time around. In turn adding to the workload of Tim, Manu and Tone. For some reason Spurs fans have forgotten that.

I disagree... the spurs cannot keep pinning their entire success on the 3pt shot anymore, its great when the shots are falling but you can't count on it all the time.

The greater need for the spurs is getting some energy on the offensive boards and someone who can score in more than 1 or 2 ways. Many times they go one and done the offensive end, and alot of times its easy shots that are being missed. Duncan draws all kinds of attention and alot of times almost makes a tough shot anyway... with a wing that can crash the boards from the weakside, alot of these misses will end up being put-backs.

That's why this signing makes no sense from that standpoint... it furthur entrenches the spurs into the whole philosophy of living by the jumpshot, and when its not falling, its gonna be alot more of 1 and done. Especially considering Mason has no athleticism and does not rebound well.

That's where Azuibuke would have been a much better choice, here's a guy who crashes the offensive boards relentlessly, and knows how penetrate and finds multitudes of ways to score in the paint, in addition to having a decent outside shot when needed.

But, apparently Buford and Popovich feel otherwise, that the spurs need to continue to live by that darn jumpshot. :bang

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Everybody is going to underestimate this offseason.

I think we have improved greatly and still have the chance to improve in our future.

seriously think about it. Maggette would have been nice but he obviously is not a winner and his attitude just doesnt fit with us. He doesnt care about winning he justs wants to get paid because this was his last chance for big money.

Roger Mason Jr is a replacement of Michael Finley or Brent Barry.

Unlike Finley or Barry, is a way better scorer and could erupt for 20 almost any given night. Finley and Barry combined to score 20pts in a game maybe like 10 times all year, just a wild guess.

But i can see Mason moving into the starting lineup during the season and become a reliable shooter/scorer off the penetration and double teams his the big 3 creates.

Dont sleep on George Hill either.......

This kid can easily be the big sleeper in the draft. You could not find this guy on ESPN top draft prospects before the draft. Now he is ranked top 20. Still a little high but hey this cat was nowhere close to lottery and played at IUPUI!!!!!!!!:lmao

He will improve our bench scoring as well, and he seems like a player who can get hot and score maybe 25. I like bringing in players that can get hot any night and just score the basketball like Hill and Mason do,it takes so much pressure off Manu.

I think we have improved as a team. Seriously we were at the WCF, the oldest team and had our best player all year play on one foot.

Spurs are going to be fine fellas...im getting excited thinking about it.

Last Years Rotation

PF-Tim Duncan 34 mpg
PG-Tony Parker 33mpg
SG-Manu Ginobili 31.1 mpg
SF-Bruce Bowen 30.3 mpg
SG- Michael Finley 27 mpg
C-Kurt Thomas 22 mpg

BENCH MINUTES
C-Fab Oberto 20 mpg
SF- Ime Udoka 18 mpg
SG-Brent Barry 17 mpg
PG- Jacque Vaughn 15 mpg
PF- Robert Horry 12.9 mpg
PF-Matt Bonner 12 mpg
PG-Mighty Mouse :lmao

Next Year
PG-Tony Parker 35 mpg
PF- Tim Duncan 33 mpg
SG- Manu Ginobili 28 mpg
SF-Bruce Bowen 22 mpg
C- Kurt Thomas 22 mpg

BENCH MINUTES
SF- Ime Udoka 20 mpg
PG- George Hill 15 mpg
C- Fab Oberto 15 mpg
C- Ian Mahimi 12 mpg

Dude, they haven't even played a game yet. : homer

Slippy
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
I disagree... the spurs cannot keep pinning their entire success on the 3pt shot anymore, its great when the shots are falling but you can't count on it all the time.

The greater need for the spurs is getting some energy on the offensive boards and someone who can score in more than 1 or 2 ways. Many times they go one and done the offensive end, and alot of times its easy shots that are being missed. Duncan draws all kinds of attention and alot of times almost makes a tough shot anyway... with a wing that can crash the boards from the weakside, alot of these misses will end up being put-backs.

That's why this signing makes no sense from that standpoint... it furthur entrenches the spurs into the whole philosophy of living by the jumpshot, and when its not falling, its gonna be alot more of 1 and done. Especially considering Mason has no athleticism and does not rebound well.

That's where Azuibuke would have been a much better choice, here's a guy who crashes the offensive boards relentlessly, and knows how penetrate and finds multitudes of ways to score in the paint, in addition to having a decent outside shot when needed.

But, apparently Buford and Popovich feel otherwise, that the spurs need to continue to live by that darn jumpshot.

The Spurs don't pinn their hopes on just one aspect of the game. There are quite a few. They would depend on their stars "all the time" when it comes down to winning. A very important aspect is hitting the perimeter shot to take advantage of open shots as a result of the big 3 presense and help spread the floor for them.

When you make it to the WC finals against the best of the best and can't hit open shots. Big shots that matter. Then you don't go any further. Boston showed how it was done best, the Spurs aren't very far. Getting younger legs that can help in the shooting department and do enough on D is a step in the right direction.

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Lost in all of this is that the Spurs were a healthy Manu away from the Finals last year. Let's remember that what the Spurs look for is complementary pieces that they think can work WITHIN THEIR SYSTEM to get maximum value. Which is what you have to do if you don't have Paul Allen or Mark Cuban bankrolling your G.M.. If you want a team that spends like those guys do, then feel free to wander away. Otherwise....

You know they've scouted all the people that everyone on this board throws out there, right? You do know they have a scouting department, and have watched enough of these guys to at least have an inkling of who can fit with them?

Like Kori, I'm in wait and see mode for Mason. But I was that way with Udoka last year, and he certainly seems to fit. I think Buford and Pop have earned a little leeway here. Let's see how the rest of the offseason shakes out. Already, with Hairston, Hill, and Mason, they've brought in some younger guys who can probably grow in the system.

[That being said, I wish we had Scola. They're not infallible, y'know.]

Budkin
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I've been pretty fucking disappointed so far... Roger Mason? WTF.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I've been pretty fucking disappointed so far... Roger Mason? WTF.

That's a good signing.

mrspurs
07-10-2008, 01:48 PM
Hill is going to play point guard. Mason is going to play shooting guard. Hill might be like the fifth option at shooting guard and Mason might be the third or fourth option at point guard but it's a stretch to say the Spurs went after Mason because they lack confidence in Hill.

agreed...a very long stretch

DPG21920
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Why is everyone so high on Azubuike? He is ok, but we already have slashers..Tony and Manu get to the rim as much as any back court in the ENTIRE league. We need better defenders and jump shooters. You can not just have everyplayer going to the rim, we have our guys that do it the best, then you dish it out to open shooters. We also have a big man that plays inside and dishes it out. Another slasher would be good when Manu and Tony are off the floor, but that is not for the majority of the time, especially in the playoffs.

DPG21920
07-10-2008, 02:00 PM
You do realize that Azubuike crashes the boards way more because that is their philosophy. They do not worry about getting back on defense on missed shots, they worry about going all out to get offensive rebounds. The Spurs, do try for offensive rebounds, but not at the expense of allowing teams to constantly run at them and get transition baskets...

Spur-Addict
07-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Why?

To me, it's a wash.

efficiency over flare just isn't a hot topic these days.

Tully365
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
For those saying Mason is nothing more than a younger version of Finley, remember: the Spurs won a title with a younger Finley. And Mason is even younger now than Finley was in '07. Duncan has slipped a tiny bit, Manu just has his best season ever, and Tony is about to enter his prime. There's a good chance Hill will be an improvement on Vaughn. Udoka defends better than Finley or Barry. If Mahinmi can match or exceed the play of Elson, there's no reason to think the Spurs aren't in a good position to win it all again.

Rob123
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I lived in D.C., went to just about every wizards home game. Masons stats are nothing to go by for what he can do. In the system he was in, a strange high flying in the flow princeton offense with no real presence in the paint, Mason started to acclimate and do alright after two seasons.

I'm excited to see him play in the methodical half court Spurs system. He's going to be getting a lot of open looks, and I've seen this guy, he can shoot. So unlike our old system where we had finley who was a loss on both the defensive and offensive end, we now have a younger guard who is a gunner from long range, and who plays defense with intensity.

I dont imagine him attacking the rack all that much, never really saw him do it in my time in D.C. But during my time there I saw Mason put up several 20+ pt games, and that's what excites me. He just didnt quite fit in with the Wizards offense, where Arenas was given the ball to create 90% of the time, and then Butler and Jamison were given equal touches once he went down.

completely deck
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I agree with the OP. We made it to the conference finals with an injured Manu. Manu is one of our key scorers. Without Manu's 20-ish PTS in that series, we easily lost. I still don't get why you guys are freaking out either.

Gino
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Next Year
PG-Tony Parker 35 mpg
PF- Tim Duncan 33 mpg
SG- Manu Ginobili 28 mpg
SF-Bruce Bowen 22 mpg
C- Kurt Thomas 22 mpg

BENCH MINUTES
SF- Ime Udoka 20 mpg
PG- George Hill 15 mpg
C- Fab Oberto 15 mpg
C- Ian Mahimi 12 mpg

That bench leaves something to be desired...

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Why is everyone so high on Azubuike? He is ok, but we already have slashers..Tony and Manu get to the rim as much as any back court in the ENTIRE league. We need better defenders and jump shooters. You can not just have everyplayer going to the rim, we have our guys that do it the best, then you dish it out to open shooters. We also have a big man that plays inside and dishes it out. Another slasher would be good when Manu and Tony are off the floor, but that is not for the majority of the time, especially in the playoffs.

Spurs need another "scorer", which by definition does not rely on one facet of his game (i.e. 3pt shot) to put the ball in the hole. Maggette was heavily coveted because he can score in multiple ways and that's something the Spurs were missing when Manu lost some of his speed because of the injury.

Phil Jackson made it a point to close out on the three point shooters and gave the Spurs no space to operate on the perimeter. If the Spurs had one or two guys that were adept at putting the ball on the floor and pulling up inside the arc, they'd have faired much better.

Hopefully Hill and Hairston (if he makes the team) will be able to bring a "scorer" mentality and look to penetrate if given the opportunity.

I'm not sure Mason brings that "scorer" aspect, but then again I don't know enough about him to say he can't be that "scorer". Guess we'll find out...

coachmac87
07-10-2008, 05:15 PM
That bench leaves something to be desired...

well i put bench minutes......not bench players

Manu did win the 6th man award:toast

Taking it to the Hole
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
People really need to stop getting so worked up over Roger Mason. The guy has decent talent, a quick release on his shot, and the Spurs obviously see something in him. If RC and Pop didn't think he could contribute, they wouldn't have signed him. And don't tell me they signed him out of being desperate, because that is just a crock. The Spurs are not desperate for anyone. People need to stop downing the guy before he has even played one minute in a Spurs uniform.

200 miles
07-10-2008, 05:55 PM

give gist a chance, bruno

SCdac
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Spurs need another "scorer", which by definition does not rely on one facet of his game (i.e. 3pt shot) to put the ball in the hole. Maggette was heavily coveted because he can score in multiple ways and that's something the Spurs were missing when Manu lost some of his speed because of the injury.

Phil Jackson made it a point to close out on the three point shooters and gave the Spurs no space to operate on the perimeter. If the Spurs had one or two guys that were adept at putting the ball on the floor and pulling up inside the arc, they'd have faired much better.

Hopefully Hill and Hairston (if he makes the team) will be able to bring a "scorer" mentality and look to penetrate if given the opportunity.

I'm not sure Mason brings that "scorer" aspect, but then again I don't know enough about him to say he can't be that "scorer". Guess we'll find out...

Exactly.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

My biggest fear is that the Spurs are slowly settling with a jumpshooting team, relying too much on three's, and 4-Down essentially... We don't need more stand-still shooters. We need guys who can take it strong to the rim, and ultimately get to the free-throw line (so the big 3 don't have to draw literally every foul and wear themselves out). Outside the big-three, Jacque Vaughn lead the Spurs in FTA last season (1.1)!!!... In the past, we had Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, Devin Brown, and other wildcards who were pretty athletic on offense, if not active in other ways. Even Nazr Mohammed and Horry would get their couple of FT's per game - we're not necassarilly getting that from anyone right now. We need a player who is not only going to excell in hitting jumpshots but also LOOK to get putbacks/layups/dunks/etc.

The older Duncan gets, the less he's going to be doubleteamed (we're already seeing it), and that means less open shots on the perimeter, but I'm not worried about Duncan by any means. His skill as fundamental and masterful as it's ever been, though his scoring has dipped a bit with age, which is understandable. But, even when 4-Down is creating open looks, if Finley, Barry, or whoever it may be at the time gets cold, we're fucked, because they sure aren't taking it to the basket. Manu is our best slasher, but is arguably past his prime (04 and 05 were huge years for him), but he still has periods of awesomeness (right before the AS break last season). Parker won't ever dunk the ball, and obviously he's not expected to, but his penetration is invaluable to the Spurs at this point IMO. Outside of them, we don't have many penetrators or dunkers. No Lamar Odom, no Jason Maxiell, no Tony Allen, etc.

As far as Mason Jr, Gist, and Hairston... I have no idea who they are really... but I'm just glad they're A) Young, and B) Pop/Spurs FO is interested in them. I've seen some youtubes of Gist's dunks - if he could bring any of that for even 5 minutes on court I would be happy (assuming he can defend for those 5 minutes too). If Ian Mahinmi, who looks decent IMO, can get some action around the rim, that would be helpful too.