PDA

View Full Version : Unrestricted Free Agents - July 10

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 02:24 AM
1. Kurt Thomas, Spurs: He's 35 years old but still tough enough to help just about any title contender. The Spurs got him in a steal of a deal at the trade deadline. Look for them to try to lock him up with a three-year deal this summer.

2. James Posey, Celtics: Posey helped himself with a strong performance against the Lakers in the Finals. He's another player who should get a three- to four-year midlevel deal somewhere.

3. Ricky Davis, Heat: The talented but troubled swingman hasn't helped his cause in his second tour with Miami. Pat Riley thought, after dumping him the first time, that Davis finally had the maturity to play for him. But Riley clearly is reassessing the situation. Davis looks like a midlevel-or-below type of player. I doubt he'll return to the Heat.

4. Kwame Brown: The former No. 1 pick has run out of excuses. Yes, he's huge, athletic and only 25 years old. But after seven years in the league, he's yet to prove that he's anything more than a backup. Someone will pay him something, but no one expects much.

5. Shaun Livingston: He has amazing talent, but will he ever recover from that horrific knee injury he suffered in 2007? With the Clippers using all of their money on Baron Davis, someone might try to roll the dice.

6. Keyon Dooling, Magic: In a market starved for point guards, Dooling may be the best guy left on the board. He can be an excellent defender, has good size for his position and is coming off a solid season. He won't break the bank, and he's not a bad backup either.

8. Carlos Arroyo, Magic: Arroyo isn't a sexy name, but the market has a shortage of point guards, and Arroyo was more than adequate as a backup in Orlando last season.

9. Bostjan Nachbar, Nets: Nachbar is coming off the best season of his career with the Nets. He's not a starter, but he can provide some shooting and offense off the bench.

Other notables: Matt Barnes, Warriors; Alonzo Mourning, Heat; Jason Williams, Heat; Juwan Howard, Mavs; Robert Horry, Spurs; Michael Finley, Spurs; Jannero Pargo, Hornets; Damon Stoudamire, Spurs; Sam Cassell, Celtics; Jamaal Magloire, Nets; Kareem Rush, Pacers; Gordan Giricek, Suns; Michael Doleac, Timberwolves; Francisco Elson, Oklahoma City; Quinton Ross, Clippers; Antoine Wright, Mavericks; Fred Jones, Knicks; Juan Dixon, Pistons; Maurice Evans, Magic; Primoz Brezec, Raptors; Anthony Johnson, Kings; Tyronn Lue, Kings; Theo Ratliff, Pistons; Adonal Foyle, Magic; Sebastian Telfair, Timberwolves; Kirk Snyder, Timberwolves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Barry is gone. Aside from Kurt Thomas and Matt Barnes, any realistic players we should target?

Biggems
07-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Najera, O'Bryant, and Hayes are gone as well.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Nachbar
Magloire
Ross
Jones
Dixon
Skinner
Evans
Ratliff

I'd be content with any of those signings. Preferably Skinner and Dixon.
Basically you'd be trading Barry + Finley + Horry for Skinner + Mason + Dixon. Who wouldn't give a hell yeah to that?

Especially considering you'd be replacing washed up Finley for Dixon, a real scorer who, unlike Finley,... scores. Replacing Mason with Barry, while they both are nice shooters, Barry has the edge in passing, but Mason has the edge in defense. Replacing Skinner with Horry would be nice since he's much younger even though he's 32, he's a better rebounder, and has a somewhat decent low post game. The only thing I see Robert Horry has over him is his 3 point shooting, but he hasn't made a lot of those in a while so yeah.

An interesting note on Dixon, when you look at his career scoring stats, you can take a look at his minutes, cut them in half, and that's a good estimation of his scoring average.

And we don't have enough room for both of them, so a deal's gotta be made, preferably involving Bonner, of course.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2008, 06:46 PM
I think they'll look at Nachbar, Ross and Skinner. I wish Posey would come on the cheap, but I doubt it.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Dixon was great at Maryland. But he has been only adequate in the NBA. I personally don't like him. He is too short for SG and not a good enough ballhandler for PG.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Ya, Posey has made a pretty big stink about getting the full MLE for 4 years, so I would not think he would come for cheap.

Steve-O-Matic
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Randolph Morris as a developmental center.

Tully365
07-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Keith Closs-- best shot blocker in D league by far. Still a crazy gangsta at 31. 7'3". 7'4" with 'fro grown out. He'd only play the last minutes of quarters when the opposing team has ball. Has a Manute Bol quality, but isn't as tall or as charming as Bol. Just kidding. Don't hurt me. He is a damn good shot blocker though.

spurman20
07-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Barry is gone. Aside from Kurt Thomas and Matt Barnes, any realistic players we should target?

Ricky Davis, a great scorer who would make use very strong offensively. If he minds his ps and qs!

Gino2882
07-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Ricky Davis, a great scorer who would make use very strong offensively. If he minds his ps and qs!

Absolute truth there. Ricky Davis could literally put this team over the top, or if he acted out, push them off the top. Davis would be great if he was under control.

NewJerSpur
07-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I think they'll look at Nachbar, Ross and Skinner. I wish Posey would come on the cheap, but I doubt it.

Quentin Ross has "future Spur" written all over him, especially when he develops a bit more consistency and possibly some more range in his jumper. I hope the FO's main priorities at this point though are KT and MB.

loveforthegame
07-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Barnes, Nachbar, and Ross are guys I like.

I know Spurs fans like to rag on Finley and say he's washed up but I'm surprised we're not hearing his name at all. Most teams like a proven vet who can shoot the 3 ball on their team.

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Signed players removed from the list.

Sway
07-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Keith Closs-- best shot blocker in D league by far. Still a crazy gangsta at 31. 7'3". 7'4" with 'fro grown out. He'd only play the last minutes of quarters when the opposing team has ball. Has a Manute Bol quality, but isn't as tall or as charming as Bol. Just kidding. Don't hurt me. He is a damn good shot blocker though.

:lmao

This Keith Closs video is one of the funniest I have seen on youtube! It almost tops the Suge Knight getting knocked out video.

y601RYSqtRA&feature=related

Tully365
07-14-2008, 01:07 AM
:lmao

This Keith Closs video is one of the funniest I have seen on youtube! It almost tops the Suge Knight getting knocked out video.

y601RYSqtRA&feature=related

Oh yeah, that's a classic! For all you 7'3" guys out there-- don't try and take on 25 regular guys, especially after drinking.

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Absolute truth there. Ricky Davis could literally put this team over the top, or if he acted out, push them off the top. Davis would be great if he was under control.

I would like to have Ricky, he is condemned for some of his prior transgressions but he could help. Do not know if the Spurs would target him, especially needing bigs, and I do not know if would come for only ~2M or so per year...

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 04:14 AM
Does anyone know what happens when a player does not accept the qualifying offer? I know that teams have to offer a QO in order to make the player restricted. If that player does not accept the offer, what happens?

Obstructed_View
07-14-2008, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know what happens when a player does not accept the qualifying offer? I know that teams have to offer a QO in order to make the player restricted. If that player does not accept the offer, what happens?

If he doesn't sign an offer sheet with someone else, then he doesn't have a choice. He has to play under the qualifying offer for one year and then he's unrestricted.

ElNono
07-14-2008, 06:22 AM
I would like to have Ricky, he is condemned for some of his prior transgressions but he could help. Do not know if the Spurs would target him, especially needing bigs, and I do not know if would come for only ~2M or so per year...

He's a walking transgression. Further, his attitude is the kind of garbage I don't want in our team. And no, he won't take you over the top. He cares more about stat padding than defense. And he's the type of cancer in the locker room to be counterproductive. Fuck that guy.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Ricky called a timeout with a few seconds left in a 40 point blowout and bounced the ball off his own basket trying to get credited for a rebound so he could get a triple double. Fuck him.

mrspurs
07-14-2008, 06:50 AM
one of the worst lists of playes ive seen in yrs.....we still need a big....and i dont mean 6'9 kurt thomas, but i dont see anyone else out there who could really help timmy somewhat....brown is big, but by the time he learns how to tie his new shoes, bonner will be in......timmy will have his hands full next season with the bigs we currently have..and imo timmy doesnt have the gas to get us thru another long season with HCA in min(keep in mind without HCA next season we wont make it out of may again imo) ...looks like a replay of next season in the paint(horrible)....live and die from behind the arc is how its gonna be....oh well