PDA

View Full Version : Realistic options with the remaining of our MLE

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2008, 09:54 AM
With roughly 2 million left of our MLE, I assume these players could be had..

Walter Herrman
Quinton Ross
Jarvis Hayes
Maurice Evans
Kirk Snyder
Yakhouba Diawara
Antoine Wright
Tony Allen
Flip Murray

Or we could opt to resign Barry or Finley

Who would you go after?

tav1
07-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Actually, Javtokas or some other big for the LLE. Leave the remaining MLE alone. I'm hoping the rooks can play...

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I assume we aren't going to sign anyone else until we know what Kurt Thomas is going to do.

remingtonbo2001
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll be stoked if we're able land Walter Herrman.

Javtokas would be nice as well.

mardigan
07-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Matt Barnes

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Matt Barnes has turned us down before because of his infatuation with playing on the west coast. Therefore I don't see that as a realistic option then again I could be wrong.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
1. Barry
2. Allen
3. Wright

urunobili
07-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Matt Barnes

+1

remingtonbo2001
07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
Honestly, I think we'll resign Finley. I think he'll be a great option off the bench .

That being said, it would be nice to try and land a solid 3/4.

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I think we resign Finley only if Kurt goes somewhere else. To explain since we have Finley's bird rights, resigning him wouldn't use up any of our MLE or LLE. Then we would use the remaining of our MLE or LLE for a big IF Kurt leaves. Kurt needs to be locked up for the next 2 years.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Mason and Hill could badly suck. It's more than likely they do. Barry's gone. Clearly you need to resign Finley, then.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 10:14 AM
We spent 3 million on Roger Mason?!

We spent $6.5 million on Bonner and Mason, guys who very well could deserve no playing time whatsoever.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
We spent 3 million on Roger Mason?!

:depressed

3.75 million to be exact. Per year.

SenorSpur
07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Honestly, I think we'll resign Finley. I think he'll be a great option off the bench .

Have you not seen enough of Finley's act to know that he's no longer a suitable option for this team? The guy is a virtual one-trick pony. Unless he shooting well, he doesn't give you much. Can't drive, bad handle, doesn't rebound and can't play D. What more do you need to see?

Even the one aspect of his game for which he is known for - shooting - he's undependable at best.

It's sooooo time to move on from this guy. I'd much rather have Barry back than Finley - and to be honest I don't really want either.

As for the remaining options, is Dorell Wright out of the picture?

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2008, 10:23 AM

I think he is considering Miami would be faced with a tough decision whether to match a deal worth around 2 million a year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
You can also possibly add Shaun Livingston to the list. He's been renounced and I doubt any team gives him a expensive contract.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Should have signed Diawara for cheaper and used the rest to ensure you at least resign KT. Diawara would be a stud on the right team. GK ruined him but he should be an NBA starter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Should have signed Diawara for cheaper and used the rest to ensure you at least resign KT. Diawara would be a stud on the right team. GK ruined him but he should be an NBA starter.

We don't need to use the MLE to sign Kurt.

And I agree, Diawara is something special.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Of those options, Diawara and Hayes make the most sense because of their size and ability to play SF. Spurs would have a hard time convincing Hayes to come to the Spurs for two years and barely $2M/yr, but could probably land Diawara.

I think both have been mentioned in various articles as having drawn interest from the Spurs FO as well...which I'm not sure you can say for the others on that list.

The addition that some mentioned is Javtokas. Would he come here on a two-year deal worth slightly more than the LLE if the Spurs offered? He'd be insurance if Kurt Thomas left and/or if Oberto regresses, which is likely.

I don't know what the chances are for the Spurs using the rest of the MLE, but if they are able to lock up a player that fills another hole, I'll view the Mason signing a bit better.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Have you not seen enough of Finley's act to know that he's no longer a suitable option for this team? The guy is a virtual one-trick pony. Unless he shooting well, he doesn't give you much. Can't drive, bad handle, doesn't rebound and can't play D. What more do you need to see?

Even the one aspect of his game for which he is known for - shooting - he's undependable at best.

It's sooooo time to move on from this guy. I'd much rather have Barry back than Finley - and to be honest I don't really want either.

Finley just sounds better as a starting option for this team...it's comfortable. Probably better if he doesn't re-up with this team, but they do need size and ability to play SF after the Mason signing.

On Dorrell Wright, his qualifying offer was well over $2M so he'd be taking a paycut and the Heat would assuredly match any offer. He's out.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:34 AM
You can also possibly add Shaun Livingston to the list. He's been renounced and I doubt any team gives him a expensive contract.

I don't see how Livingston fits with this team's needs. He's got the tantalizing potential and seems like a good all-around kid, but the Spurs are chock full of guards at this point...especially when Livingston comes with the huge injury risk and isn't a reliable shooter.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:36 AM

If Diawara had enough talent to be an NBA starter, he wouldn't be receiving LLE-type offers or still be on the market.

I like his size and defensive toughness, but I don't see him as anywhere near the starting-calibur player you do.

Then again, I don't see Roger Mason as a starting-calibur player as some others do...so I guess my I need to be recalibrated.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I don't see how Livingston fits with this team's needs. He's got the tantalizing potential and seems like a good all-around kid, but the Spurs are chock full of guards at this point...especially when Livingston comes with the huge injury risk and isn't a reliable shooter.

Livingston was starting to improve his percentages the year he went down (last year).

The Spurs are hardly chock full of point guards. Parker, Vaughn... then Hill can play a little piont, Mason supposedly can (yeah right), and Barry is gone. Not a single guy right now is a pass-first point guard, other than Vaughn.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Livingston was starting to improve his percentages the year he went down (last year).

The Spurs are hardly chock full of point guards. Parker, Vaughn... then Hill can play a little piont, Mason supposedly can (yeah right), and Barry is gone. Not a single guy right now is a pass-first point guard, other than Vaughn.

Vaughn is still around, Hill was drafted to be the backup PG (not off-guard), and Mason can fill the Barry role. That's three possible PGs backing up the starter who will most likely play the most minutes of any starter on the Spurs.

So why do the Spurs need another, when they clearly have better uses for the remaining money (SF and C)?

manufor3
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
maurice evans

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Spurs would be stupid not to make a run at barry

loveforthegame
07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Anyone ever think the Spurs might want Barry back over Finley but Barry doesn't want to return?

If the Spurs have interest in Finley I think it's because they know Barry wants to leave and they'd like to have one of those guys back.

The Spurs are likely only offering a 2 year deal to either one of them and Barry knows he can get more in Houston. Finley probably isn't looking for anything more.

I think Barry is wanting to leave moreso than the Spurs "letting" him go.

A.H 21-50
07-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Hermann could be a nice addition
he was nice with Charlotte but any report on spurs interest in him

Dorell Wright also for two years wouldn't be bad

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 10:54 AM

Hill will be the backup to Parker; Vaughn would be 3rd string and then Mason if needed... Mason will either be the starting SG or backup Ginobli if he starts... We don't need Livingston...

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Hermann could be a nice addition
he was nice with Charlotte but any report on spurs interest in him

Dorell Wright also for two years wouldn't be bad

The qualifying offer for Wright is about $2.4 million for next season.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-heatsign0608,0,3146086.story

Wright is not a realistic option....he's a restricted FA that would've had to get Mason-type money (:lol) for the Heat to let him walk.

Brutalis
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
What is this shit about Herrman? Dude isn't that good at all.

MaNu4Tres
That's why I never put Wright on the list.

AFBlue
That's why I never put Wright on the list.

I fixed it...thanks.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Hill will be the backup to Parker; Vaughn would be 3rd string and then Mason if needed... Mason will either be the starting SG or backup Ginobli if he starts... We don't need Livingston...

I'd jump on Livingston in an instant over Vaughn. Hill's talents as a PG are dubious - he's a scoring small combo guard. But all this is academic - Livingston isn't on the map.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Anyone ever think the Spurs might want Barry back over Finley but Barry doesn't want to return?

If the Spurs have interest in Finley I think it's because they know Barry wants to leave and they'd like to have one of those guys back.

The Spurs are likely only offering a 2 year deal to either one of them and Barry knows he can get more in Houston. Finley probably isn't looking for anything more.

I think Barry is wanting to leave moreso than the Spurs "letting" him go.

then the question arises why would barry want to leave? is it playing time he wants?
doesnt he realize that he was injured most of the season and there was really no time for us to work him into the rotation. if its that he will get more playing time next year due to lack of spurs experience from the new players. Pop likes to put in Vets in the playoffs, not new spur players. so barry has more chances of playing next year.

if its money and contracts, why would anyone sign a 35+ year old to more than 2 years? that is a dumb move from any organization unless the player is a dynamic scorer or a defensive center.

in my opinion, if barry wants to leave the spurs if were offering more playing time, same money, and an oppurtunity at a championship more than any other team.....than.... good riddance

wisnub
07-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Agree....bring Barry back

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Should have signed Diawara for cheaper and used the rest to ensure you at least resign KT.If the Spurs can sign Diawara for cheaper they can still sign him.

Signing Thomas would not require any of the MLE.

tp2021
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
with the money the spurs have left, could they resign thomas, get barry back, and sign the 2 second-rounders? or would we have to let barry sign elsewhere?

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 11:53 AM
with the money the spurs have left, could they resign thomas, get barry back, and sign the 2 second-rounders? or would we have to let barry sign elsewhere?Neither Thomas nor the second rounders would require any of the MLE.

tp2021
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
so we could sign all 3 of them for the LLE and barry for the rest of the MLE? or could we sign them without using the exceptions? im still learning. this is my first ST free agency.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 11:59 AM
so we could sign all 3 of them for the LLE and barry for the rest of the MLE?Neither the MLE or MLE would be needed.

Second rounders are typically signed to minimum contracts and the Spurs have full Bird rights to Thomas via the trade (since his previous contract was three years or longer), so they could theoretically sign him to the max without using any other exception.

tp2021
07-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for clearin things up for me, CD :tu
so we could use whats left of the MLE or the LLE to go after barry, and use the other on a combination of a cheap UFA and the 2nd rounders?

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks for clearin things up for me, CD :tu
so we could use whats left of the MLE or the LLE to go after barry, and use the other on a combination of a cheap UFA and the 2nd rounders?More or less.

The most Barry could get from the Spurs is the rest of the MLE, which might actually work if they are interested.

In case you haven't seen it, this could answer many of your questions about the salary cap.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

Supergirl
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
With roughly 2 million left of our MLE, I assume these players could be had..

Walter Herrman
Quinton Ross
Jarvis Hayes
Maurice Evans
Kirk Snyder
Yakhouba Diawara
Antoine Wright
Tony Allen
Flip Murray

Or we could opt to resign Barry or Finley

Who would you go after?

Well, my priority would be to first get Kurt Thomas locked up. I'd be happy to keep either Barry or Finley, but not both, and as much as I like Fin, I think Barry is better in the role we need them for -- 10-12 min guy off the bench for some 3's and open jump shots.

Flip Murray could provide this for us, if he was looking for that sort of role. But Jarvis Hayes or Maurice Evans would give us some size and athleticism.

I agree, having another back up big would also be the way to go - Javtokas if he's ready to play, perhaps.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Finley just sounds better as a starting option for this team...it's comfortable. Probably better if he doesn't re-up with this team, but they do need size and ability to play SF after the Mason signing.

On Dorrell Wright, his qualifying offer was well over $2M so he'd be taking a paycut and the Heat would assuredly match any offer. He's out.

Miami just signed James Jones and they have Shawn Marion. Sounds like a lot of SFs over there.

Couldn't we pay more than Miami is willing to pay and get a young guy with some upside who's started some games for Miami when he recovered from his injury?

Could we combine the rest of our MLE and some cash or some other offer?

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Exceptions can't be combined with anything else.

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
off that list i would go, (in order)

Barry
Wright
Allen
Finley
Herman
Ross
Diawara
Snyder
Jarvis Hayes

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Miami just signed James Jones and they have Shawn Marion. Sounds like a lot of SFs over there.

Couldn't we pay more than Miami is willing to pay and get a young guy with some upside who's started some games for Miami when he recovered from his injury?

Could we combine the rest of our MLE and some cash or some other offer?

If he can make a guaranteed $2.4M this season and be an outright free agent next season, I think he'd be unlikely to take roughly a million more and be locked up for two seasons.

I just don't see it happening at this point.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
If he can make a guaranteed $2.4M this season and be an outright free agent next season, I think he'd be unlikely to take roughly a million more and be locked up for two seasons.

I just don't see it happening at this point.

That and the fact we can't even offer him 2.4 million or anything over that.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
There isn't anyone in RFA status that the Spurs would be able to get at this point. I don't even know why it's being discussed.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Diawara? Are we trying to corner the market on 6'5" to 6'7 average backup swingmen this summer?

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Spurs are still intersted in Diawara

Sign Kurt and Diawara and then turn our attention at summer league...

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Diawara? Are we trying to corner the market on 6'5" to 6'7 average backup swingmen this summer?

No, we're trying to get one of the better swingmen to come to San Antonio for less then 2 million a year. :rolleyes

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I don't really care about Matt's contract right now because it doesn't take away our chances of signing JR Smith.

What would you say would take away that chance?

Tully365
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Livingston has just recently been cleared to play again, has played some one-on-one, and is able to dunk again. Check out this site about him: http://www.shaunlivingstononline.org/back-in-action.php

The only reason the Clippers renounced him is he would have been due over 5 mil this year-- they know he isn't close yet to returning, and they needed the extra money for free agents. If someone signs him to the minimum and is patient, there's a chance they get a lottery player for next to nothing. Someone is going to do it. It's an interesting gamble for sure, and I wouldn't be opposed to the Spurs doing it. Say he returns by April, 2009-- an amazing story. And if he doesn't, you've lost the minimum, which would be something like Udoka's salary last year.

callo1
07-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I would rather the Spurs bring over Viktor Sanikidze. Anyone know the status on Viktor atm? Kori?

The guy can run the floor, has a quick first step and a good shot. I wonder what the Spurs are waiting for with him.

He is very light in the body department, kinda like a Darius Miles in that regard, Maybe Pop has concerns with his fragile frame.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 04:48 PM
I would rather the Spurs bring over Viktor Sanikidze. Anyone know the status on Viktor atm? Kori?

The guy can run the floor, has a quick first step and a good shot. I wonder what the Spurs are waiting for with him.

He is very light in the body department, kinda like a Darius Miles in that regard, Maybe Pop has concerns with his fragile frame.

He'll be here for SL.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
He'll be here for SL.

The SL roster was released yesterday and he wasn't listed.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
No, we're trying to get one of the better swingmen to come to San Antonio for less then 2 million a year. :rolleyes

SeasonTeamGGSMPGFG%3p%FT%OFFDEFRPGAPGSPGBPGTOPFPPG 07-08DEN541410.00.4100.3180.7100.40.71.10.70.20.10.30 1.102.8

Are we talking about the same guy?

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
The SL roster was released yesterday and he wasn't listed.

I thought he had said he'd be here this summer. Oh well, after the 5-minutes he got throughout the games he played, why return?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I thought he had said he'd be here this summer. Oh well, after the 5-minutes he got throughout the games he played, why return?

Part of the reason why he didn't get many minutes in last year's SL is I think because of poor coaching by Newman. I mean, hell, he's your pick that you're supposed to be evaluating, so fuckin play him.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Part of the reason why he didn't get many minutes in last year's SL is I think because of poor coaching by Newman. I mean, hell, he's your pick that you're supposed to be evaluating, so fuckin play him.

I didn't read the roster, is Brown coaching or is it Newman again?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 05:28 PM
I didn't read the roster, is Brown coaching or is it Newman again?

It's Budenholzer.

Texas_Ranger
07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Jarvis Hayes

Duncan2177
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM

Finley a great option off the bench? The guy threw up enough bricks to build a house probably enough to build Roger Mason Jr a new home in San Antonio.

callo1
07-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Well, I know he did get hurt last year during the RMR. I was present at the game when he went down. But yes, they still didn't play him enough in my opinion, so I see your point.

The guy is young, smart, fast, and has good length. Only negative is the same thing Ian suffers from...very weak base, but I don't see how thats a big deal as he wouldn't be posting up anyway.

I'm gonna miss Bones:(

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Jarvis Hayes

Hayes may be looking for more than $2M, but if he's amenable to that salary...sign him up.

rj215
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Finley a great option off the bench? The guy threw up enough bricks to build a house probably enough to build Roger Mason Jr a new home in San Antonio.

+1

Gino2882
07-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Hayes would be a tremendous signing. In fact I would have taken Hayes over Mason Jr. I like Roger Mason, but Hayes is a really solid player and a player I wish the Spurs had signed last year.

John_C
07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
If we buy out Vaughn's contract, are we allowed to use that amount plus the MLE to lure other players?

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Walter Hermann

Birth Date June 26, 1979
Birth Place Santa Fe, Argentina
Height 6-9
Weight 225 lbs.
Age 29
Position SF
Salary 2008: $1,944,000

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Herrmann... RFA. If he signed for what the Spurs have to offer the Pistons would probably match. Otherwise, he may end up on the continent.

Tully365
07-11-2008, 02:42 AM
SeasonTeamGGSMPGFG%3p%FT%OFFDEFRPGAPGSPGBPGTOPFPPG 07-08DEN541410.00.4100.3180.7100.40.71.10.70.20.10.30 1.102.8

Are we talking about the same guy?

wemightbebuti'mnotreallysureifwearebutifwearetheni twillbeacaseofusagreeingthatit'sthesameguythat'sfo rsure

rapliketp
07-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Maurice Evans, solid player started for magic in the last half season.
Kareem Rush, several 20+pt games.
Kirk Snyder, some nice numbers when he got playing time with the t-wolves.
Bonzi Wells, could be an end of free agency bargain if he lasts that long.
Matt Barnes, see bonzi wells.
Eddie House, 3pt shooter.
Salim Stoudamire, 3pt shooter.