PDA

View Full Version : I hope we didn't make a mistake...

Twisted_Dawg
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
......in not drafting one of these guys. Chalmers and CDR are going off in their Summer League play. Chalmers has looked so good that Miami gave him a three year contract at $2.3 million, which is more than the usual minimum contract given to 2nd round picks. CDR is playing very well. It will also be interesting to see if Darrell Arthur also plays well in the Summer League. These guys were well known and available when we made our #1 pick.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=Orlando-Day3-080709

ORLANDO -- Hell hath no fury quite like that of a scorned NBA draft pick.
The Orlando Pro Summer League is stocked full of top draftees, ranging from the first two picks (Chicago's Derrick Rose and Miami's Michael Beasley) to No. 4 selection Russell Westbrook to New Jersey's Brook Lopez, who was selected 10th.

But it's two players who shockingly plummeted into the second round --national championship hero Mario Chalmers and All-American Chris Douglas-Roberts -- who have put on some of the most driven performances of the week. Suddenly, futures that might have seemed dim just a week ago have bloomed into downright rosy outlooks for Chalmers and Douglas-Roberts.

Take one look at their Wednesday performances -- Chalmers got to the free-throw line 17 times (all makes), scored 23 points and handed out six assists for Miami; Douglas-Roberts streaked his way to 20 points for New Jersey -- and it's apparent both second-round picks are playing with a purpose.

"A chip on my shoulder is an understatement," huffed Douglas-Roberts, who took advice from Nets star Vince Carter throughout Wednesday's game. "I'm going to have to play like this my whole career. It was sort of a blessing in disguise by me going 40th. I'm seeing a lot of teams this week that passed on me, and I get to slap them in the face a little bit."

Chalmers, the Final Four's Most Outstanding Player and a hero for hitting the clutch 3-pointer that forced overtime, looked on in disbelief on draft night as the first round came and went without his name being announced. Projected by some as a pick in the 10 to 20 range, Chalmers slipped to 34th and the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Heat president Pat Riley was as surprised as Chalmers that the player slipped so far and worked furiously to acquire the cat-quick point guard. When Miami failed in its attempts to buy a late first-round pick from Portland, it sent two first-round picks and $2 million to the Wolves for Chalmers.

The point guard has been so impressive in his first three summer league games that he secured a three-year contract that could be worth as much as $2.3 million. This is how highly the Heat think of Chalmers: His first-year salary is $700,000, roughly $250,000 more than a minimum deal.
"I signed my contract, and that gives me a lot of confidence," said Chalmers, who is averaging 17.7 points, 7.0 assists and 2.7 steals in three games. "It's a great feeling to know you have that contract officially with a team.

Embarrassed on draft night, CDR is using the Orlando Summer League to show up his competition. "Draft night is over and done with, and I definitely have that chip on my shoulder," Chalmers said.

Douglas-Roberts could be well on his way to locking up some long-term security of his own if he keeps playing as he did Wednesday. He was a blur on the break, and the unorthodox shooting stroke many GMs knocked in the days leading up the draft wasn't a problem as he made 6 of 10 shots and 8 of 9 free throws.

In practically every interview Douglas-Roberts has done this week, the first-team All-American has fumed about his horrifying draft experience. Not even a good week in the summer league, he admitted, will wipe away this sting anytime soon.

"I just couldn't understand it," Douglas-Roberts said. "It was a mixture of being disappointed, embarrassed and emotion. It's a good thing because I ended up in a place where I have a great opportunity. I'm glad I got to the Nets, but I'm still not happy that I went 40 regardless of what happens from now on."

Brutalis
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
We know we fucked up.

Here we'll get 50 replies saying "let Hill play out" wha wha wha fuck that.

Hill might be decent or w/e but passing on Chalmers was fucking stupid.

Twisted_Dawg
07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Hill could well be a player for us and hopefully he is. But I do think we could have gotten him in the second round and taken another player in the 1st.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 11:41 AM
I'll go another route....

Players like Tskitishvili (sp?) and Belinelli killed in their SL debuts, but it didn't translate on the court. Belinelli could still pan out, but it just goes to show that good SL does not make you an all-star.

Having said all that, I think it was a mistake to pass on Chalmers...but we'll see.

BacktoBasics
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Chalmers sure as shit contained the #1 pick in that first game.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
It's time to break out that list of summer league MVPs again.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
no way does a summer league game display how good a player will be.....not buyin it

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 11:46 AM
It's SUMMER league... a few steps down from pre-season! I am sure Hill will have a big chip on his shoulder as well... Hill might have a sub-par summer league and a great season/career...Only time will tell...

brettn
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
We know we fucked up.

Here we'll get 50 replies saying "let Hill play out" wha wha wha fuck that.

Hill might be decent or w/e but passing on Chalmers was fucking stupid.

Well as long as you're speaking for the entire organization and fan base, I'll take your word for it. We fucked up!

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
no way does a summer league game display how good a player will be.....not buyin it

MMMkay. But I'd doubt a player a wee bit more if he weren't producing even there. Pollyanna.

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
You guys know John Lucas III, a guy who couldn't get out of the rockets bench few years ago, averaged 20+pts and 9assists in the Vegas summer league, right?

:lol

I mean he was the MVP too.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
You guys just let rocketfan be the voice of reason.

I am ashamed of you.

anakha
07-10-2008, 11:57 AM
^^ Beat me to the punch, there. :lol

Brutalis
07-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Well as long as you're speaking for the entire organization and fan base, I'll take your word for it. We fucked up!

:toast

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
You guys know John Lucas III, a guy who couldn't get out of the rockets bench few years ago, averaged 20+pts and 9assists in the Vegas summer league, right?

I mean he was the MVP too.

A player doing well in the Summer Leagues is proof that he sucks.

MoSpur
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I did not think they would pass on Chalmers. I am holding out hope on George Hill. He's very athletic for his size.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM

haha...sadly thats what history says

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
A player doing well in the Summer Leagues is proof that he sucks.It's not necessarily proof that he is good.

MoSpur
07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Didn't Tim Duncan get tore up by Greg Ostertag in the Summer League????

brettn
07-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Ostertag is no joke man. That boy could play. :rollin

hater
07-10-2008, 12:13 PM
:lmao

summer league

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 12:35 PM

Where or when did I in anyway infer that he/she sucks?
I am merely stating a fact.

K-State Spur
07-10-2008, 12:36 PM
:lol:lol:lol

I'm sure Chalmers will have numerous NBA games where he gets to the line 17 times.

He was famous for his ability to drive the lane at KU. Only by famous, I mean rarely.

misterx91578
07-10-2008, 12:52 PM
It's SUMMER league... a few steps down from pre-season! I am sure Hill will have a big chip on his shoulder as well... Hill might have a sub-par summer league and a great season/career...Only time will tell...

+1

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
:lol:lol:lol

I'm sure Chalmers will have numerous NBA games where he gets to the line 17 times.

He was famous for his ability to drive the lane at KU. Only by famous, I mean rarely.

You know with the way nba rules are. Anything is possible.

picnroll
07-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Just curious did Hill and Chalmers workout together for the Spurs or for any teams?

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Not picking CDR over Hill was idiotic

DAINTX
07-10-2008, 05:04 PM
If George Hill plays as well in SL as Chalmers, CDR have played, suddenly there will be a change of tune from lot of folks on this board, and they'll be swearing he's the Savior. "just look at how he dominates. Boy, that Pop is a genius". :downspin:. Hopefully he will, and hopefully, they'll be right.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Just curious did Hill and Chalmers workout together for the Spurs or for any teams?

Yes, for the Spurs. Hill, Chalmers, and Taylor all worked out against each other. This came from Hill's interview on Spurs.com. So that makes me think San Antonio saw something.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Completely idiotic. Clearly CDR is great and Hill is bust watching all these NBA games that are going on.

Twisted_Dawg
07-10-2008, 10:06 PM
If George Hill plays as well in SL as Chalmers, CDR have played, suddenly there will be a change of tune from lot of folks on this board, and they'll be swearing he's the Savior. "just look at how he dominates. Boy, that Pop is a genius". :downspin:. Hopefully he will, and hopefully, they'll be right.

I think most of us will reserve judgement until late next season when we will have a better idea of the players NBA ability.

anakha
07-10-2008, 10:07 PM

This, coming from the guy who started a thread praising the Hill pick. :lmao

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 10:13 PM
We could have Hill and CDR. There had to be a way to trade up about 10 spots to grab CDR. Someone would have taken our two second round picks. But, I guess the Spurs FO is really high on Gist and Hairston. We'll see!

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM

In practically every interview Douglas-Roberts has done this week, the first-team All-American has fumed about his horrifying draft experience. Not even a good week in the summer league, he admitted, will wipe away this sting anytime soon.

"I just couldn't understand it," Douglas-Roberts said. "It was a mixture of being disappointed, embarrassed and emotion. It's a good thing because I ended up in a place where I have a great opportunity. I'm glad I got to the Nets, but I'm still not happy that I went 40 regardless of what happens from now on."

And that right there is why the Spurs passed on this loser.

spurman20
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
CDR will be a good player but Hill will help us now....I think thats why they went with hill.....plus being able to play 2 spots helps and CDR is a poor shooter from NBA 3 range and the FT line

DANILO DRASKOVIC
07-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I think Marco Belanili taught us last year that summer league numbers are meaningless

DANILO DRASKOVIC
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
CDR will be a good player but Hill will help us now....I think thats why they went with hill.....plus being able to play 2 spots helps and CDR is a poor shooter from NBA 3 range and the FT line

just ask Kansas how well of a FT shooter CDR is

mrspurs
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
ill be honest, once the horns got knocked out of the tournament, players names didnt mean a thing...(when i was young, and had no real responsibility's, i could keep up with all the names)...i aint young anymore.....i dont even know how good this rose guy is, much less hill or any name inbetween them and after......the nba will tell me what i need to know....the nba helps old folks with remembering names

DMX7
07-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Passing on Chalmers for a guy who hasn't proved shit was a major mistake.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 09:00 PM

It was the 26th pick. You have to take calculated gambles. It is not like Chalmers is Lebron and he some how fell and the Spurs took the risk. Not saying Chalmers won't be decent, but he is a role player. Hill, I feel probably has more upside (at least in the Spurs eyes) which is why they took him. I like gambling with picks that high because it is low risk and unless you can get a sure fire "game-changer", you should swing for best fit. Chalmers could be very good, but he is far from certain.

Darkwaters
07-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Thats kind of a famous story actually. Apparently Pop told Duncan that he needed to work on his skills with his left hand so that he could be proficient with both hands. So, Duncan proceeded to play the entire game with only his left hand. Greg Ostertag just happened to be the benefactor of the story in that he was the opponent.

K-State Spur
07-11-2008, 11:28 PM

what exactly did chalmers prove?

that he could hit a shot when memphis made a colossal defensive blunder? would he have been a better/worse NBA prospect if Memphis had fouled him like they should have? were you aware that he had been nothing short of terrible in that game until he hit that shot?

other than that, you're talking about a guy who failed miserably every time Bill Self asked him to run the point in his collegiate career.

all that said, I liked Chalmers as a prospect, but it was based purely on my (very humble) ability to speculate his game to the next level. he didn't prove anything.

exstatic
07-12-2008, 11:02 AM

No there won't. There is a LARGE contingent here who hate anyone we sign or draft, no matter what. They only love players that we didn't get.

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/6046/images/eeyore1.jpg

Sissiborgo
07-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Let's count on Hill