PDA

View Full Version : What about the front line?

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Isn't this still a game for big men? Aren't rebounds and interior defense still the key to winning?

Do we want to go to war next season with Tim Duncan having these guys for help on the front line: Thomas, Oberto, Bonner, and Mahimi?

And we don't know yet if Thomas will be back.

But we keep adding smallish swing players like Udoka and Mason and drafting Hill and Hairston. Who knows if Gist will be a player.

After the draft, I think our efforts in FA should have been the front line.

Brutalis
07-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Problem is there isn't much to ever pick from to help the front court. That and the Spurs never seem to give a fuck either.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Duncan owns the paint

brettn
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
If we get Thomas back, which I'm fully expecting we will, we'll be fine.

**The frontcourt that is.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 11:44 AM
If Thomas is back and we have Ian and Duncan, we will be fine...

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Duncan owns the paint

Maybe his part of it, but the team sucks. We were well below the league average in rebounds at number 23.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/

I don't see us winning another title without better big men to help Tim unless you think Pop is going to small ball all the time.

Come to think of it, the team's focus in FA and the draft has been on small swingmen who can defend and shoot.

Move over GS, the Spurs are gonna run and gun and outscore ya.

brettn
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Well that's obviously Pop's plan. We're looking to run'n'gun with GS! YeeHAW! :rolleyes

rascal
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Maybe his part of it, but the team sucks. We were well below the league average in rebounds at number 23.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/

I don't see us winning another title without better big men to help Tim unless you think Pop is going to small ball all the time.

Come to think of it, the team's focus in FA and the draft has been on small swingmen who can defend and shoot.

Move over GS, the Spurs are gonna run and gun and outscore ya.

Problem with that is the spurs still don't have the athleticism to run and gun like the Warriors

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
The Warriors?

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 12:04 PM
If we get Thomas back, which I'm fully expecting we will, we'll be fine.

**The frontcourt that is.

His most productive years were with the Knicks and ended in 2003. Been a steady decline since then. I don't know that a 36 year old player whose gonna play limited minutes and get you 4-6 pts per game and 4-5 rebounds is a 'fine' answer to front line woes.

Combining his numbers with Oberto and you still get shit. Unless Ian comes in and does better than most folks who've actually seen him play expect, we're gonna be below average again and forced into small ball.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Re-sign Kurt and sign someone like Brian Skinner and we're good.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Re-sign Kurt and sign someone like Brian Skinner and we're good.

Now there's a great idea for retooling: Signing a career back up foward at age 32 with a career avg. of 4.9 rebounds and 4.9 ppg (last year 3and 3) to back up a 36 y.o. player with similar stats.

I want to get BETTER, not just try to hold the line with aging, slowing old vets.

Lets get someone like a Dorell Wright who has some upside potential.

brettn
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Dorell Wright? really?

I get what you're saying, but at the same time the spurs don't need a scorer down low neccesarily. They need someone who's gonna bang and get boards next to Duncan and play defense. KT I thought complimented Duncan very well in the minutes he got next to timmy, especially in the suns series. Throw in some youth in Ian and the front court looks decent enough.

nkdlunch
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Oberto owns

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Dorell Wright?

I thought this thread was about the front line.

mrspurs
07-10-2008, 01:31 PM
in the PO's we got owned in the paint.....fab choked his way to the bench, and kurt is to short 6'9, the only 6'9 forward in the top tier west that plays like a big man is west.(NO)..and ian...really never seen him. so if ya ask me, its easy to see we are very weak in the paint...we couldnt stop an alley-oop, much less put a hand in someones face to stop a layup....timmy is alone.....timmy will doubled, and we will live and die on (manu's ankle) and from the arc....unless the FO has someone else in mind or this ian is what they say he is....in the paint we will get pounded again...there are some young very talented big boys out there that can play serious basketball theses days.....and we got timmy...do the math....

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 01:34 PM
in the PO's we got owned in the paint.....fab choked his way to the bench, and kurt is to short 6'9, the only 6'9 forward in the top tier west that plays like a big man is west.(NO)..and ian...really never seen him. so if ya ask me, its easy to see we are very weak in the paint...we couldnt stop an alley-oop, much less put a hand in someones face to stop a layup....timmy is alone.....timmy will doubled, and we will live and die on (manu's ankle) and from the arc....unless the FO has someone else in mind or this ian is what they say he is....in the paint we will get pounded again...there are some young very talented big boys out there that can play serious basketball theses days.....and we got timmy...do the math....

ajs;flkjas;lkdjf;adks8237r....adskfjalsdfj2q34r2.. .....asdfjaskj1322435....readmehehehe......iliketo type..hehe...jqlaksdjflj23rq23..adflakjsdf2342...s entence?wheredoesitend...

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
banking on ian and resigning thomas i think..

kobyz
07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
we should re sign Kurt Thomas for two years in 4 milion per year, he dosen't worth more than 4 milion!!

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 01:38 PM
we should re sign Kurt Thomas for two years in 4 milion per year, he dosen't worth more than 4 milion!!

We'll see what his market value is. Diop is an MLE player?

kobyz
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
We'll see what his market value is. Diop is an MLE player?

there is no team that will give him more, he is old

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 01:43 PM
kurt is to short 6'9, the only 6'9 forward in the top tier west that plays like a big man is west.(

Amare and Carlos Boozer are 6'9 too.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM

:wow You read that? It's like reading The Sound and the Fury,

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Now there's a great idea for retooling: Signing a career back up foward at age 32 with a career avg. of 4.9 rebounds and 4.9 ppg (last year 3and 3) to back up a 36 y.o. player with similar stats.

I want to get BETTER, not just try to hold the line with aging, slowing old vets.

Lets get someone like a Dorell Wright who has some upside potential.

Yea I'm not so sure signing a 3 to play backup 4/5 would work out...

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Spurs need depth at F/C, because I doubt they get a player better than what they have with what money they've got left.

Re-sign Kurt Thomas and go for depth. Here's what's available...

Young and Unproven
Randolph Morris
Earl Barron
Andre Brown
Patrick O'Bryant
David Harrison
Dwayne Jones

The Wildcards
Kwame Brown
Chris Andersen
Jamaal Magliore

The Old Guard
Lorenzen Wright
Brian Skinner
Adonal Foyle
Michael Doleac
Theo Ratliff

The Re-hash
Francisco Elson

Indazone
07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
You could always get David Lee. D'Antoni doesn't like guys who cannot create their own shot in that run and gun offense of him. However, David Lee might fit perfectly with the Spurs.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 05:38 PM

just goes to show that being the same height isn't everything. I wonder where Kurt ranked in scoring and rebounding compared to these guys.