PDA

View Full Version : Will Roger Mason Jr. Start over Ginobili

GOUTSA
07-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Manu finished off the year bruised and battered after averaging 31 mpg, does anyone think Pops going to want to reduce Manu's minutes(~26 mpg) and/or possibly start Roger over Manu?

VaSpursFan
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
necessary evil at this point and manu is playing in the olympics too. you have to shut him down to keep him fresh for the playoffs. upside is that guys like mason and hill get thrown to the wolves early. hopefully pop will let them work through their mistakes.

ducks
07-10-2008, 02:26 PM
yes after a few games

djohn14
07-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I think Mason does. He will be more productive then Finley and you still have a big threat coming off the bench.

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Not at the beginning of the season he won't.

timvp
07-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Hopefully he eventually does. That'd mean he's at least halfway decent.

tlongII
07-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Better be careful! Too many early losses and you will miss the playoffs!

The Truth #6
07-10-2008, 02:36 PM
We're screwed if he doesn't.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 02:47 PM
PG-Parker
SG-Mason/Finley
SF-Bowen
PF-Duncan
C-Oberto

well be good...Manu will play no more than 25 minutes the first half. then they might start him if needed depending on the schedule.hopefully there wont be another bad march

nbascribe
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
We really should have gotten a shooter in the darn draft.

mason??? jury still out over here

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Gesus, let's see if he's any good at all first.

tmtcsc
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Manu will start. So says me. Hedo, Barry and Finley all HAD to start because they sucked without having Tim or Tony on the floor with them. Manu does what he has to do to win..bench or no bench. I'm sure the guy prefers starting. Who wouldn't ?

As for all the resting, I think that's nonsense and overblown. If he has healed up, then he should be fine. Limiting his minutes is no different than limiting Tony's or Tim's. If you can do it, great. The schedule sucked during the WC Finals but Manu's injury is what killed our hopes, nothing else.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 03:08 PM
It's tough. The bench is incredibly weak, so you may be forced to put Ginobili there, or else risk getting blown out by other second units. But if he doesn't start the front five have a weak shooting guard. Decisions, decisions.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Manu finished off the year bruised and battered after averaging 31 mpg, does anyone think Pops going to want to reduce Manu's minutes(~26 mpg) and/or possibly start Roger over Manu?

Exactly what I've been wondering. Where does this guy play? Is he going to replace Finley? He hasn't had much playing experience so how is he gonna go from a minor bench role to fill in some bigger shoes?

If we have to keep Finley and play him behind Manu, then this trade doesn't inspire me to hope for better things next year.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
It's tough. The bench is incredibly weak, so you may be forced to put Ginobili there, or else risk getting blown out by other second units. But if he doesn't start the front five have a weak shooting guard. Decisions, decisions.

:tu

Hence the questionable decision to make Mason the priority signing of the free agent market.

With Manu coming off injury, likely playing in the Olympics, getting his minutes monitored, and in a position where the coaching staff likes him off the bench....If Mason doensn't show enough to be the starter, the Spurs are in trouble.

Mavs<Spurs
07-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Mason and Hill better produce, Manu needs to stay healthy and Tim needs to be efficient or we will be less than a championship contender.

Tony is now the one player I am not worried about.

How did that happen?

:downspin:

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I think Mason will start.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
If Mason doensn't show enough to be the starter, the Spurs are in trouble.

Yeah. Mason better become a genius signing or this team is in trouble. A slow start to the season and they're looking from the outside at the playoffs. I'm serious.

tav1
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't care so long as Ginobli is healthy and able to finish the season with strength in April, May and June.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah. Mason better become a genius signing or this team is in trouble. A slow start to the season and they're looking from the outside at the playoffs. I'm serious.

I personally won't go that far....not yet.

The Spurs still have a very talented trio and a team that plays very well together. While getting Maggette would've put this team in the driver's seat for championship contention, I don't think the average signing of Mason as a role player completely drops them out of it.

Finley as the "starter" didn't really get starter's minutes and was not the Michael Finley that the Spurs signed in '05. Mason isn't as well known and doesn't have as legitimate a career as Finley, but he'd probably give similar production as last year's version of Finley.

All that said, I think the Spurs haven't improved their team so far this off-season, and that doesn't bode well given the likely improvement of the Lakers, Hornets, Suns, Blazers, etc.

kobyz
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
i'm not high on Mason, i even prefer Finley over Mason

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
i'm not high on Mason, i even prefer Finley over Mason

That is dumb.

kobyz
07-10-2008, 04:27 PM
That is dumb.

i see Mason play in th israeli league and he wasn't too good in a weak league so i don't think he is can be better than Finley

kobyz
07-10-2008, 04:28 PM
i see Mason play in th israeli league and he wasn't too good in a weak league so i don't think he can be better than Finley

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 04:51 PM
i see Mason play in th israeli league and he wasn't too good in a weak league so i don't think he is can be better than Finley

I see Mason play with the Wizards he did better than Finley.

midgetonadonkey
07-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I see something blue.

nil.ball
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Why is mason better than Finley? Mason put up stats on a wizard team with nobody. And even that stats wasn't impressive.

I think people are too high on Mason.

jag
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Why is mason better than Finley? Mason put up stats on a wizard team with nobody. And even that stats wasn't impressive.

I think people are too high on judging players they've never seen play.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Because he was able to put up at least 9 points a game on a team that didn't really have a low post game. Consider his 9 points and all the attention Duncan will be getting down low, he'll be able to kick it out to Mason and he'll be getting a lot more looks now than when he did with Washington.

And Finley blows.

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 05:31 PM
How quickly we adjust to mediocrity. We all wanted a bold move to get someone who'd give us a chance to getter way better. And what do we get--Roger Mason, a youngish guy who hasn't exactly set the league on fire for four years.

I'm not saying he can't be a rotational player--along with maybe Hill and Hairston and Udoka-- but for god's sake, why do we always seem to settle for a marginal player addition or a vet who's already past the 'sell by' date.?

We only have a few more years of the window of opportunity of the Big 3. The FO needs to realize they have to open the pursestrings NOW.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 05:35 PM
The FO needs to realize they have to open the pursestrings NOW.They only have like $4 million worth of exceptions left to spend.

timvp
07-10-2008, 05:37 PM
They only have like $7 million worth of exceptions left to spend.Fixed.

:drunk

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 05:39 PM

hes better than finley, also because hes a better ball handler and a better defender.

mason played on a playoff level team, bulter, jamison, AD and more... what the hell are you smoking?

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 05:50 PM
hes better than finley, also because hes a better ball handler and a better defender.

mason played on a playoff level team, bulter, jamison, AD and more... what the hell are you smoking?

But the question of the thread is, will he start? Will Pop think he is ready for that responsibility?

If not, and Pop feels he has to keep Finley for that spot, then this signing is probably a bad idea for this year's needs. Not that keeping Finley is a great idea.

And how many minutes do you give at this spot to George Hill if he's the real McCoy? This probably ends Hairston's chances to stick?

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
But the question of the thread is, will he start? Will Pop think he is ready for that responsibility?

If not, and Pop feels he has to keep Finley for that spot, then this signing is probably a bad idea for this year's needs. Not that keeping Finley is a great idea.

And how many minutes do you give at this spot to George Hill if he's the real McCoy? This probably ends Hairston's chances to stick?

i think hes ready, he played very well in the games he started for washington last year. his role would be more relaxed then when on washington too. i think hes ready for a starting role, 6th man role.

brespursfan20
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Manu deserves to start, Pop should just limit his minutes!!

Bruno
07-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Mason will start because Spurs have no one else to start at the SG spot.

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Manu deserves to start, Pop should just limit his minutes!!

thats fair too.

benefactor
07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Does it matter? An almost washed up Finley started forever. As long as TP, Manu and Timmy get their minutes its not an issue.

rj215
07-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Mason should start and play enough minutes to spell Manu for a stronger run in the playoffs....hopefully Pop has patience with him....

tmtcsc
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Mason will start because Spurs have no one else to start at the SG spot.

That's comical.

http://www.manuginobilisworld.com/pictures/manu_ginobili3.jpg