PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mason In The Bag, But Work To Be Done

duncan228
07-10-2008, 02:30 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/07/jeff_mcdonald_m_11.html

Jeff McDonald: Mason in the bag, but work to be done

Roger Mason is on his way to becoming a Spur, having agreed to a two-year deal worth roughly $7.5 million. Contrary to popular belief, however, the Spurs' offseason isn't over.

There is still work to be done, a roster to fill and money to be spent.

The Spurs used just part of their mid-level exception to lure Mason away from Washington. They have an additional $1.9 million to work with, and might not be done shopping for free agents -- though they are almost certainly out of the running for J.R. Smith, James Posey and possibly even Eduardo Najera.

Then, there is the question of their own free agents.

Kurt Thomas is the big one. The Spurs would like to re-sign him, but he's received interest from both the Lakers and Heat.

Brent Barry seems to be out of the equation in Phoenix, according to recent media reports out of Arizona, but is still being courted by Houston and Boston, and hasn't ruled out returning to San Antonio. The Rockets are considered to be the frontrunner for Barry's services, having reportedly dangled their $1.9 million biannual exception at him.

Worth noting: The Spurs could easily match the Rockets' offer with their own biannual exception, or with what's left of their mid-level exception, if they so desired.

The Spurs have talked with Michael Finley about the prospect of returning. They value his veteran savvy and leadership, but it's unclear how he would fit in now with Mason on his way.

It's appearing less and less likely that Robert Horry returns. Though Horry has said he would like to come back for a 17th season, with little market out there for a soon-to-be-38-year-old power forward, it looks like he might wind up retired by default.

The Spurs also have three draft picks vying for a spot on the roster and payroll. At some point, they will sign first-round pick George Hill, and have also discussed inking second-rounders Malik Hairston and James Gist.

The best guess here (and it's only a guess): The Spurs make a strong push at re-signing Kurt Thomas, sign their three rookies, and call it an offseason.

timvp
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
The best guess here (and it's only a guess): The Spurs make a strong push at re-signing Kurt Thomas, sign their three rookies, and call it an offseason.Uh yeah the Spurs are going to sign either Finley, Barry or another wing. Thanks for playing.

CubanMustGo
07-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Uh yeah the Spurs are going to sign either Finley, Barry or another wing. Thanks for playing.

What's sad is that this guy keeps getting paid to write bad Spurs columns when a third of the regular posters here could do as well or better (I don't number myself among those).

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Burger King over Mcdonald anyday

ducks
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
writers like this will make newspapers die

MoSpur
07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
I hope that's CIA. It should be sign Landry, Thomas and their rookie and call it a season.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 02:57 PM
online blogging has killed newspapers

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
The best guess here (and it's only a guess): The Spurs make a strong push at re-signing Kurt Thomas, sign their three rookies, and call it an offseason.

Of course he meant with the Barry/Finley/nother decision. He already discussed it.

The offseason is all but over. Now it's try to fend others away from Kurt Thomas and that's it.

I can't say George Hill, Gist, Hairston, plus Roger Mason has been a rousing success, but I guess there wasn't much to do.

BlackSwordsMan
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Jeez spurs practically had no money to spend
Throw next season and get #1 draft pick

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2008, 03:09 PM
He said in the beggining about looking at another FA or Finley or Barry and then in the end this crap

Originally Posted by McDonald

This guy is terrible and he's getting worst day after day

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
You guys are being incredibly asinine. This is a blog post, not a published article.

Mitch Cumsteen
07-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Disregarding anything else, can anybody imagine the Spurs starting the season with 3 true rookies plus Mahinimi on the roster? That's 4/15 roster spots on a championship-contending team for guys who have next to zero NBA experience. It's just not going to happen. I can't imagine they wouldn't want Barry back for a little more than the LLE instead of one of those second round picks.

Mr. Body
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Disregarding anything else, can anybody imagine the Spurs starting the season with 3 true rookies plus Mahinimi on the roster? That's 4/15 roster spots on a championship-contending team for guys who have next to zero NBA experience. It's just not going to happen. I can't imagine they wouldn't want Barry back for a little more than the LLE instead of one of those second round picks.

They might try to convince one of Hairston and Gist (or both) to do the Europe thing, staying under contract.

That said, they don't have a lot of options. Horry is done, Finley may be done. There is hardly any developed talent on the bench that's not awful (Bonner) or ancient.

tav1
07-10-2008, 03:23 PM
online blogging has killed newspapers

And in many ways the bloggers are better reads. They come with their shortcomings, but they're 10x better than this drivel.

703 Spurz
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/07/jeff_mcdonald_m_11.html

Jeff McDonald: Mason in the bag, but work to be done

Roger Mason is on his way to becoming a Spur, having agreed to a two-year deal worth roughly $7.5 million. Contrary to popular belief, however, the Spurs' offseason isn't over.

There is still work to be done, a roster to fill and money to be spent.

The Spurs used just part of their mid-level exception to lure Mason away from Washington. They have an additional $1.9 million to work with, and might not be done shopping for free agents -- though they are almost certainly out of the running for J.R. Smith, James Posey and possibly even Eduardo Najera.

Then, there is the question of their own free agents.

Kurt Thomas is the big one. The Spurs would like to re-sign him, but he's received interest from both the Lakers and Heat.

Brent Barry seems to be out of the equation in Phoenix, according to recent media reports out of Arizona, but is still being courted by Houston and Boston, and hasn't ruled out returning to San Antonio. The Rockets are considered to be the frontrunner for Barry's services, having reportedly dangled their $1.9 million biannual exception at him.

Worth noting: The Spurs could easily match the Rockets' offer with their own biannual exception, or with what's left of their mid-level exception, if they so desired.

The Spurs have talked with Michael Finley about the prospect of returning. They value his veteran savvy and leadership, but it's unclear how he would fit in now with Mason on his way.

It's appearing less and less likely that Robert Horry returns. Though Horry has said he would like to come back for a 17th season, with little market out there for a soon-to-be-38-year-old power forward, it looks like he might wind up retired by default.

The Spurs also have three draft picks vying for a spot on the roster and payroll. At some point, they will sign first-round pick George Hill, and have also discussed inking second-rounders Malik Hairston and James Gist.

Why the fuck would Barry go to Houston? Doesn't he know a McGrady led team never does dick in the playoffs?

lefty
Wow

McDonald really really sucks

tav1
07-10-2008, 03:24 PM
You guys are being incredibly asinine. This is a blog post, not a published article.

It's not a blog post--it's a fake blog post. It's an article EN is slapping the label blog on it so it appeals to the kiddies. Whatever they call it, it's still shit.

EN needs to completely retool their approach to covering the Spurs.

tav1
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm sorry if I seem excessively negative, but why would anyone read the EN? If they want Spurs information, and they have two wits about them, they'll just come to SpursTalk.

I'm beside myself with how bad the EN coverage is.

tav1
07-10-2008, 03:35 PM
One last comment: McDonald is probably a decent guy who is fresh out of a school whose journalism program didn't bother to account for the massive shift in the way news is covered the last several years. He writes like a guy who taught to cover stories by some stubborn, grayed curmudgoen who looked with disdain on the 2nd Guttenburg revolution.

It happens to the best of them. Bob Costas recently came across as a total ass when discussing this subject, so McDonald is not immune.

I know, I know, find a journalism board. I'll shut up.

2centsworth
07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
The guy nees to hang out on this website and write columns based on what he learns here. This is where the loser stalker fans, including myself, post. Point is, loser stalker fans usually know everything about their teams and players.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 03:48 PM

I can easily see Gist, Hairston, and Hill all on the roster next season as part of our youth movement... one of them might be on the IR...I think Barry is gone... we don't have a bench so that is why I can see all 3 there along with Mason maybe as the starter... hope we get Thomas back.

tav1
07-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I can easily see Gist, Hairston, and Hill all on the roster next season as part of our youth movement... one of them might be on the IR...I think Barry is gone... we don't have a bench so that is why I can see all 3 there along with Mason maybe as the starter... hope we get Thomas back.

I'm not sure. I think there might be a few minor surprises yet this offseason. I don't see all three rookies being on roster with Mahinmi. It's hard enough to get vet's to play well within the system in one season, let alone all the young dudes.

Maybe the Delfino offer still stands and will go through, or maybe something else. But I see at least one more vet joining this team. Of the young guys, Mahinmi and Hill are set in stone, and either Hairston or Gist will be in Austin next season. But I doubt both will make the Spurs roster. Maybe one will go the Marcus Williams route.

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Ginobli/???
Bowen/Udoka/???
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/???

Pop and RC are still probably uncertain who will replace those question marks. Important summer league coming up. And they'll wait to see if free agency turns its cold shoulder on anyone, ala Ime Udoka.

As I look at that roster, the Spurs could add a player that can get to the basket, scoring (in general), a youngish vet, rebounding and shot blocking, and another shooter. Clearly that can't do it all, so they'll wait to figure out what their best options are in a couple weeks.

z0sa
07-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they already sign George Hill on Draft night, as required?

ducks
07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
kori needs to email him this site

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they already sign George Hill on Draft night, as required?It's not required, or possible, on draft night.

tav1
07-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they already sign George Hill on Draft night, as required?

??? On draft night ???

z0sa
07-10-2008, 04:08 PM
It's not required, or possible, on draft night.

Yet his salary still counts against the cap. How does that make sense?

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Yet his salary still counts against the cap. How does that make sense?It does until he is renounced, signed by the team or a foreign team.

It's more than the minimum, so it makes sense.

AFBlue
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM

It's a foregone conclusion that it'll happen, but it hasn't happened yet.

As for the Spurs not being done, I'm going to say they sign Diawara to a two-year deal slightly above the min, and sign one of either Gist or Hairston.

For the final roster spot they could go with the other rookie or pick up a FA big man for the min off the scrap heap.

z0sa
07-10-2008, 04:10 PM
??? On draft night ???

You're right, I wasn't thinking - but he's guaranteed a rookie contract, or so I believed. Isn't this the same thing as signing him?

tav1
07-10-2008, 04:16 PM
You're right, I wasn't thinking - but he's guaranteed a rookie contract, or so I believed. Isn't this the same thing as signing him?

I see what you were trying to get at...ChumpDumper has covered all the other stuff above.

z0sa
07-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I see what you were trying to get at...ChumpDumper has covered all the other stuff above.

Yeah ... what I find funny is how much money gets thrown around even for barely making it into the NBA ... If I only got a rookie's minimum contract, I'd be set for life :lol

coopdogg3
07-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Why the fuck would Barry go to Houston? Doesn't he know a McGrady led team never does dick in the playoffs?

Doubt Barry really cares about that. He has 2 rings, a lot of money. I think he just wants to play. So he's gonna go to the team that can offer him the most minutes.

rj215
07-10-2008, 06:30 PM

:bang

1Parker1
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Looks more and more like the Spurs are going to have to over-rely on their Big 3 next season to get them through a tough, tough Western Conference.

MarHill
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Here's the thing....this was not a great free agent class to begin with. It took Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, and Baron Davis to opt-out of their contracts to become free agents. Yikes!

Secondly, The Spurs went after Corey Maggette with what they could offer...the MLE. Maggette decided to take the money with Golden State...so be it. Some Spurs fans thought this year FA's class was going to solve all of their supposed problems...weren't seeing it correctly.

The only way they were going to get one of the big names in this year FA.....they would have to trade one of the big three and that wasn't happening!!

I will admit I was disappointed they didn't Maggette. But...they moved on and got Roger Mason Jr. Also, they drafted three American born players and Ian has been waiting in the wings for the past couple of years.

The Spurs are going through a transition period...like all championship contenders do. Still...this team needed tweaking not a major overhaul. Also, the FO has remained financially flexible for 2010 and that is their plan all along.

I know that will never be good enough from some Spurs fans. They expect to get a big name free agent..so they can tell other teams fans look who we got in FA. That's never been the Spurs' MO.

Moreover, if you look back over the last 15-20 years...the championship teams always had a core of two-three players (80's Celtics:Bird-Parrish-Mchale, 80's Lakers:Magic-Kareem-Worthy, 90's Bulls: Jordan-Pippen, 2000-2002's Lakers: Shaq-Kobe, Mid 2000s Spurs-Duncan-Ginobili-Parker) and role players surrounding them. You can include this year Celtics: Pierce-Garnett-Allen & 2006 Miami Heat: Shaq-Wade into the formula.

The Spurs are one of the few teams at that level and it will be this way ( and has been) until the Duncan era (3-4 years) is over.

I will agree I wanted to keep Barry. But it happens...I wish him well and I will miss his 3pt. shooting.

We have to be realistic as Spurs fans and lets give Hill, Ian, Hairston, Mason and hopefully Gist (if he makes the team) a chance.

The Pistons went to the youth movement last season with Rodney Stuckey, Amir Johnston, & Jason Maxiell and they are still contenders as well.

It can happen to the Spurs as well.

spurman20
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Im sure Mason is not the guy every one wanted but he will help...if we can get 22-25ppg from Mason Ian and Hill next year than we have improved greatly.....Still like to see use sign Hayes if we get another wing or Ratliff-Harrison if we go big......Barry can be made up for by trading for someone like JJ Redick who Orlando is gonna move cheap now and the spurs can decide not to pick up his option if he doesnt work out.,We are most likely gonna wait out till the end of the summere and see what we can get for the min...

my2sons
07-10-2008, 10:20 PM
What's sad is that this guy keeps getting paid to write bad Spurs columns when a third of the regular posters here could do as well or better (I don't number myself among those).

yet many many many keep reading so they can come here and say that exact same thing....