PDA

View Full Version : Question about Benefits at Work

LuvBones
07-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Ok, here's the deal... I work full time (40+/week) at a vet clinic but I get almost NO benefits. The thing I'm really looking for is at least some sick days and vacation days off, but my boss doesn't even offer that. Is that something they must do by law or is it just their choice? It sucks that I can't even ask for a couple days off!!

peewee's lovechild
07-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Hope this helps:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/index.htm

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Get another job.

Then take a dump in your boss' shoes.

LuvBones
07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Hope this helps:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/index.htm

Thanks.. I keep finding that they don't have to pay for time off, but I can't seem to find if they have to offer some sick/vacation days. It looks like a "no"..

Mr. B, I love my job and my boss is cool so I'm not going to quit for a few days off. I'm sure at some point she'd give me some time off but right now she can't because we're understaffed.

PakiDan
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks.. I keep finding that they don't have to pay for time off, but I can't seem to find if they have to offer some sick/vacation days. It looks like a "no"..

Mr. B, I love my job and my boss is cool so I'm not going to quit for a few days off. I'm sure at some point she'd give me some time off but right now she can't because we're understaffed.

If you become my friend, we can work out some benefits!

LuvBones
07-10-2008, 07:24 PM
:lol good one

PakiDan
07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
:lol good one

Not the reaction I was shooting for, but I'll take it. :)

leemajors
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
you better be getting paid well, a job with no benefits is not a job you should stick with. unless you're banging the vet and getting compensation under the table, of course.

missmyzte
07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I take it that it's a small office? I'm really surprised they don't offer any kind of sick or vacation pay.

To your question though, the law does not require benefits hours to be given.

Spuradicator
07-10-2008, 10:17 PM
An employer should at least have some respect for his employees to offer some time off.

Just because he's cool, doesn't excuse the fact that he's a cheap bastard.

2centsworth
07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
He will have no employee loyalty and his business will head down the tubes. At a minimum employers should offer insurance benefits and bonuses.

mavs>spurs2
07-11-2008, 12:33 AM
It may work for you now while you're still young, but I wouldn't plan a career at a place that doesn't offer benefits. Sorry if I'm too blunt :/

sabar
07-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Not too surprising, vet practice isn't a very lucrative business. The head guy is probably still trying to pay his vet school debts.

Das Texan
07-11-2008, 12:52 AM
what are benefits?

Gerryatrics
07-11-2008, 01:17 AM
This thread is not what I thought it would be.

:depressed

2Blonde
07-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Here is a link about a plan Congress is trying to get done.
http://pbawashingtonupdate.blogspot.com/2007_07_09_archive.html

The following is an excerpt from the website of our next President...

Expand Paid Sick Days: Half of all private sector workers have no paid sick days and the problem is worse for employees in low-paying jobs, where less than a quarter receive any paid sick days. Barack Obama will require that employers provide seven paid sick days per year.

Expand the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA): The FMLA covers only certain employees of employers with 50 or more employees. Barack Obama will expand the FMLA to cover businesses with 25 or more employees. Barack Obama will expand the FMLA to cover more purposes as well, including allowing workers to take leave for elder care needs; allowing parents up to 24 hours of leave each year to participate in their children's academic activities at school; allowing leave to be taken for purposes of caring for individuals who reside in their home for 6 months or more; and expanding FMLA to cover leave for employees to address domestic violence and sexual assault.

Encourage States to Adopt Paid Leave: As president, Barack Obama will initiate a 50 state strategy to encourage all of the states to adopt paid-leave systems. Obama will provide a $1.5 billion fund to assist states with start-up costs and to help states offset the costs for employees and employers.

The link to all the info can be found at :

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/family/

___uPtOwNgIrL___
07-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Here is a link about a plan Congress is trying to get done.
http://pbawashingtonupdate.blogspot.com/2007_07_09_archive.html

The following is an excerpt from the website of our next President...

The link to all the info can be found at :

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/family/

you actually think a president would follow thru with promises?

:rollin

Fillmoe
07-11-2008, 01:59 AM
just hit him off with some fly DOME... im sure he will give you some days off then

tlongII
07-11-2008, 02:14 AM
I bet your boss might give you another dog!

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:37 AM
You may like your job and you say you won't quit for a few days off, but if I were you I'd look for a better place to work. Benefits are the equivilant of salary becuase its a form of compensation. It makes no sense to work at a place when they're not going to pay you your truth worth, IMO.

I guess in the end you have to decide how valuable the enjoyment you get out of simply working there is because you're giving up a lot if you work at a place that doesn't offer you what amounts to several thousand per year in benefits.

Spurfect
07-11-2008, 01:35 PM
her boss/the vet is a woman btw. lol

Nbadan
07-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Form a union..

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I get no benefits but if I call in sick I don't hear shit about it. There is always a trade off. Most places that offer paid sick days will grill your ass to ensure that you were actually sick. They may require a doctors note or something.

Paid vacation is another thing. With so many companies down sizing if you don't like not getting paid vacation too fucking bad because there is a line of unemployed assholes who would gladly take your job.

Best advice would be dollar related. If you make less than 25k per year I'd walk. Those jobs are a dime a dozen. If you make between 25-35k you might want to think twice. If you make over 45k sit tight and deal with it. Steal some doctors notes from a friend or something.

2Blonde
07-11-2008, 04:48 PM
you actually think a president would follow thru with promises?

:rollin
I'm pretty sure I didn't say "This is what Barack Obama is going to do about this situation". I simply cut and pasted what his website said about the issue and provided the link.

The Franchise
07-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Being understaffed is not your problem it's hers.

spursfan09
07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
You should asy your boss if you will ever be given those types of benefits in the future or if it is just a short term thing.

LuvBones
07-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks B2B and 2Blonde. :)

And I shouldn't have said NO benefits because there's plenty of benefits besides financial. I'm gaining knowledge and experience with this job, which will definitely help in the future. I'm getting connected with people in a field I'm interested in. And the Dr. is actually a person I respect and look up to. I see her as a mentor.. she teaches me a lot about everything in life. So I'm happy where I'm at for now.