07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
2nd FA swingman or bust, err.. Finley.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Houston Chronicle story:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/5881884.html

timvp
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I was told yesterday that Barry was almost for sure headed to the Rockets. He was waiting for one last push from the Spurs ... but apparently it never came.

Thanks for what you did as a Spur, Bones. :tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Rockets agree to terms with free agent guard Barry
By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Brent Barry, the free agent guard the Rockets targeted from the first minute of this month’s free agency period to bolster their bench, told the team Thursday that he would sign with the Rockets, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

More than four months after the Rockets pursued Barry when he became a mid-season free agent, the Rockets landed Barry following nine days considering their offer of their bi-annual salary cap exception, worth $3.9 million over two seasons.

In March, Barry chose to return to the San Antonio Spurs after he was traded by the Spurs to the SuperSonics and released, spurning offers from the Rockets and Suns. Barry last week opted out of the contract he signed with the Spurs then, and again received offers from the Rockets and Suns.

Barry, 36, made 49.1 percent of his shots and 46.3 percent of his 3s in the post-season after coming back from a calf injury that kept him out most of the second half of the season.

In the regular season, his 12th in the NBA, he averaged 7.1 points in 17.9 minutes, making 48.1 percent of his shots.

Barry’s father, Hall of Famer Rick Barry, and brother, Jon Barry, both finished their careers with the Rockets.

At 6-7, Brent Barry, part of two Spurs’ championship teams, is expected to give the Rockets size off the bench at the wing positions.

Bruno
07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
After the Mason signing, keeping Finley made more sense than keeping Barry.

Good bye Mango Tree.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm really gonna miss him. We just lost a killer 3 point shooter and a great-character guy.

And now, H-E-B commercials are gonna go down the shithole.

tp2021
07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Damn. That really sucks.
Thanks, Mango Tree. Ending a career with the Rockets is in the genes.

At least now the money we could have (and i think should have) used to bring brent back is free to be spent elsewhere.

brettn
Oh great :(

Mr.Bottomtooth
Yeah, I was told yesterday that Barry was almost for sure headed to the Rockets. He was waiting for one last push from the Spurs ... but apparently it never came.

Very sad. He could've helped us a lot next year.

DPG21920
07-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Good guy, good baller, will be missed.

jag
Sucks to see him leave, i wonder what he was asking/looking for in his contract and playing time situation.

timvp
It supposedly came down to the Rockets or the Celtics with the Lakers as the darkhorse. It's unclear whether the Spurs even offered him a contract.

vy65
07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
if that's true, that's really fucking sad

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 07:25 PM
It supposedly came down to the Rockets or the Celtics with the Lakers as the darkhorse. It's unclear whether the Spurs even offered him a contract.

Perhaps it was a role situation, rather than contract.

DespЏrado
07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
God Damnit. In what world does keeping Finley who hesitates on shots, stagnates the offense, and plays 0 defense make more sense than keeping Barry.

After his first year jitters as a Spur were over, I thought Barry was one our best bench player who could light any team up that didn't respect his 3 pointer.

The Spurs better have one hell of a player in mind after just letting Barry walk, and after he showed us the loyalty by coming back.:pctoss

I wouldn't have minded Barry retiring a Spur and staying on with the franchise in some capacity in the future. Bye Bones, you were a personal favorite, once the Spurs actually figured out you could handle the backup point duties.

xtremesteven33
Nooooo Mango Tree!!!!!!!!

timvp
What sucks is even if Mason fills Barry's shoes, the Spurs will be back where they started. It'll be interesting to see if the Spurs try to replace Finley or if Finley will just be brought back.

peskypesky
07-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Major fuck-up by the FO. Yet again. Barry could've helped us beat LA if dumb-ass Pop hadn't insisted on playing a gimpy Manu(re).

We just lost our best perimeter shooter, and best back-up PG.

WildcardManu
Awww man, Barry was easily a favorite in SA.

Bruno
Spurs' fan should be a little logical on that.
During the whole year most of us have said loudly "Spurs need to go younger". We can't really complain when Spurs let go a 36 years old Barry and sign a 27 years old player with Mason.

I liked Barry on and off the court but you can't get younger if you keep all of your old players.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
qY-Kuk2tgAA

well miss you brent

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 07:28 PM
True, get younger.

Get rid of Finley too.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
What sucks is even if Mason fills Barry's shoes, the Spurs will be back where they started. It'll be interesting to see if the Spurs try to replace Finley or if Finley will just be brought back.

If Finley is brought back, then we basically are at the same situation we were last year as you said :(.

If that were the case, then Mahinmi, Hill, and Mason are really gonna have to pan out.

Admidave50
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
wow that sucks, Barry > Finley. Well maybe Brent didn't recover well from his recovery.

Thanks for all you've done with the Spurs!

DespЏrado
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
During the whole year most of us have said loudly "Spurs need to go younger". We can't really complain when Spurs let go a 36 years old Barry and sign a 27 years old player with Mason.

I liked Barry on and off the court but you can't get younger if you keep all of your old players.

Yeah and he was the only old player that showed any signs of life in the playoffs on a gimp leg. He was the only one that showed he could contribute to the team next year.

Barry is not replaceable. You just don't find a guy with his skill set that facilitates a motion offense more than Barry.

My guess is we are going to see a lot more 4-down next year.

peskypesky
07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
True, get younger.

Get rid of Finley too.

Get rid of Pop too.

timvp
07-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Get rid of Finley too.Yeah, might as well complete the makeover. Although I can see the Spurs bringing back Finley for "leadership" or "professionalism" reasons. If Finley is an opening night starter, Spurs fans will need a lot of alcohol next season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Get rid of Pop too.

Oh yes, because there are much better coach free agents out there.

VaSpursFan

+1

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Spurs better get Delfino

VaSpursFan
07-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Yeah, might as well complete the makeover. Although I can see the Spurs bringing back Finley for "leadership" or "professionalism" reasons. If Finley is an opening night starter, Spurs fans will need a lot of alcohol next season.

indeed:drunk:drunk

Spurs Brazil
07-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for everything Brent

FromWayDowntown
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Morey's fascination with blocking the Spurs seemingly continues . . . though I think Brent can be useful to the Rockets as well.

Agreed on the thanks to Bones for all that he's done with the Spurs.

Believe it or not, Brent Barry is 10th in franchise history in playoff games, with 71 appearances:

155 -- Duncan
123 -- D. Robinson
117 -- Parker
117 -- Bowen
107 -- Ginobili
85 -- Elliott
81 -- A. Johnson
80 -- M. Rose
79 -- Horry
71 -- Barry
57 -- Gervin

Bruno
07-10-2008, 07:36 PM
I can see Spurs re-signing Finley but I hope it will be only as an end of the bench player.
Horry likely not coming back is another reason to bring back Finley as vet clutch shooter.

batman2883
07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
who cares we got manu thats all we need!!

usckk
07-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Could this mean they are trying harder to get Kurt Thomas back?

jag
What's the possibility of Delfino now? Would this possibly be something the FO allowed to happen with the hopes of bringing in Delfino?

oligarchy
I can see Spurs re-signing Finley but I hope it will be only as an end of the bench player.
Horry likely not coming back is another reason to bring back Finley as vet clutch shooter.

Finley sign for vet min?

xtremesteven33
:worthy::worthy::worthy:
http://i38.tinypic.com/wcfosp.jpg

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

rj215
07-10-2008, 07:40 PM
:depressed

baseline bum
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Best of luck in H-Town, Brent. Best of luck in the unemployment line, R.C.

xtremesteven33
im crying inside....a manly cry

duncan228
When I was living in Seattle I saw lots of Barry as a Sonic. Met him, got my picture taken with him. I loved him as a Sonic, and I was thrilled when he became a Spur.

I'll miss him. He was a wonderful fit character wise for this team. What a great sense of humor, and I understand the he and his wife did some great things for the community.

I wish him the best.

timvp
I can see Spurs re-signing Finley but I hope it will be only as an end of the bench player.I'd take Finley back if he were to play a Smith Smith in '03 role and he signed for the minimum. Otherwise, might as well go for some scrub like Devean George who could be useful in a pinch against Dirk or David West.

batman2883
i have to admit the heb commercials will never be the same

SenorSpur
I'm sorry to see Barry go. Lot of clutch threes, smart basketball and good humor. A great guy for four years. Nothing but the best to Bones.

Now that the Spurs have purged one older swingman, it's time to purge the other one. If there was truly a choice between Finley and Barry, then Barry should've been the one retained. Since he wasn't, there's no sense bringing Finley back.

I don't give a shit about Finley's leadership and professionalism. That doesn't put points on the board or stop an opposing player from getting to the rim.

I agree with the earlier comments. Complete the makeover. Get rid of Finley and let the perimeter youth movement continue.

timvp
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
What's the possibility of Delfino now? Would this possibly be something the FO allowed to happen with the hopes of bringing in Delfino?No chance. Not enough money. Gotta aim lower to the Maurice Evans, Devean George and Quinton Ross type players.

oligarchy
What's the possibility of Delfino now? Would this possibly be something the FO allowed to happen with the hopes of bringing in Delfino?

It's possible, I think it's been discussed that the Spurs have shown interest. I'm sure that Delfino is trying to find something better than LLE though. It'd work great for the Spurs as far as contract.

traitoravery
sure am gonna miss Brent. Change of guards, lets go RMJ!!!

baseline bum
Yeah, might as well complete the makeover. Although I can see the Spurs bringing back Finley for "leadership" or "professionalism" reasons. If Finley is an opening night starter, Spurs fans will need a lot of alcohol next season.

Unfortunately we have no Stephen Jackson to come in and take that role from Steve Smith 2k8.

Spurs Brazil
Maybe the Spurs weren't so hard after Brent because his calf. Once he injured it for the 1st time he had problems stay healthy. Maybe he won't be able to survive 82 games.

Finley for the minimum contract and a HITA role is fine for me

Russ
07-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Another clutch playoff guy gone.

I'd like to know the real story here, i.e., why did Barry opt out and/or why didn't the Spurs want him?

In other words, why did neither seem to want the other? :depressed

batman2883
07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
ha ha ha i forgot steve smith played for the spurs

timvp
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Dennis Lindsey needs to be fired just so the Rockets will hop off the Spurs nvts. Ever since the Spurs got Lindsey, the Rockets have mainly just tried to screw the Spurs over repeatedly.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Amen.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Dennis Lindsey needs to be fired just so the Rockets will hop off the Spurs nvts. Ever since the Spurs got Lindsey, the Rockets have mainly just tried to screw the Spurs over repeatedly.

Agreed. Not sure why. I guess Stat Geek has something to prove.

SenorSpur
07-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Personally, I think Lindsey is a spy. :lol He's selling Spurs secrets to the Red team. It is a bit ironic that ever since he's joined the Spurs, the Rockets have been a freaking thorn in all our asses. Over the past year, the Rockets FO has been getting the best of the Spurs in every possible scenario: trades, the draft (Batum), and now free agency.

z0sa
07-10-2008, 07:58 PM
After how well Brent played in the LA series, we just let him go?

After he got cut by the Sonics for Kurt, he didn't have to come back here. Just like he didn't have to stay.

smeagol
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Barry made 46% of his threes in the post season and they let him go?

Brilliant!

Russ
07-10-2008, 07:59 PM

I'd say sign Finley for the veterans minimum. That will leave the exceptions fully in place.

It seems that things were never the same between Barry (presumably a proud man) and the Spurs after the JR Smith fling. Fortunately, Tony Parker got over the Jason Kidd silliness by the FO more than Barry ever did with JR. (Of course, the fact that JR is who he is probably didn't help Barry's ego).

Anyway, this might indicate that the Spurs a have a couple of clear targets for the rest of the MLE and the LLE and that could be a good thing. :)

1Parker1
07-10-2008, 08:00 PM

I think most people would have preferred if the Spurs somehow managed to keep Barry and waive Finley. I'm pretty sure if the Spurs offered Barry less $$ he would have taken it.

That being said, WTF is up with the Spurs? It's like they're PURPOSELY doing everything they can to help the Rockets get out of the first round. :lol

timvp
07-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Anyway, this might indicate that the Spurs a have a couple of clear targets for the rest of the MLE and the LLE and that could be a good thing. :)Possible but if the Spurs re-sign KT, Finley and their rookies, they will be out of roster room. The Spurs won't get a player better than Barry with the exceptions they have available.

For whatever reasons, the two parties apparently decided to part ways.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Let the old perimeter players go.

All of them.

I'm ready to roll the dice.

callo1
07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I don't like the FO's decision not to make sure Bones stayed another 2 years. I know, I know, we want youth, but honestly, Brent was probably the best FA shooter left and now we let him walk.

I guess the FO feels real damn confident in George hill cutting it as a PG, because the real luxury of Brent was his ability to effectively run the point if Tony went down, or we needed more offense on the floor. Damn, Brent almost brought us back in the WCF and in my opinion would have if he would have been allowed to stay on the floor...I'm perplexed :bang

1Parker1
07-10-2008, 08:03 PM
BTW, Somehow find Whottt. I think he's on the ledge.

rj215
07-10-2008, 08:04 PM

Agreed but I wish they would keep useful vets (Barry and Kurt) and gotten rid of the over the hill gang (Horry, Finley, Vaughn, Stoudamire)...but I guess that's easier said than done....

AFBlue
When Mason was signed I was pretty sure it meant Barry was gone....same skill set and possible positions played.

Best of luck to Brent...here's hoping he collects his paycheck and tries not to hurt the Spurs too bad during their matchups...:toast

spursfan09
:(

We'll miss you Brent!

z0sa

Most likely, frustration. He couldn't buy playing time til it was clear Manu could barely walk to the scorer's table.

peskypesky
07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh yes, because there are much better coach free agents out there.

I just want a coach who's smart enough to recognize that when a player is injured, he should be on the bench (Manu), and when a player is shooting the lights out he should stay on the floor (Barry).

A bonus would be if he's smart enough to put in a good rebounder (Thomas) in a game where we're getting raped on the boards.

Trade Pop.

Russ
07-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Possible but if the Spurs re-sign KT, Finley and their rookies, they will be out of roster room. The Spurs won't get a player better than Barry with the exceptions they have available.

Can't they just take one (or two) of the rookies and put them on the Toros without signing them to the Spurs (at the risk, of course, of losing them). Didn't they do that with Marcus Williams last year?

BOHOLANO#21
True, get younger.

Get rid of Finley too.
yup. i'll be pissed if they resign finley after getting rid of more productive barry.

ChumpDumper
Trade Pop.That's not going to happen.

So what now?

oligarchy
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
It seems that things were never the same between Barry (presumably a proud man) and the Spurs after the JR Smith fling. Fortunately, Tony Parker got over the Jason Kidd silliness by the FO more than Barry ever did with JR. (Of course, the fact that JR is who he is probably didn't help Barry's ego).

If Barry had a problem with the FO, why would he come back to the Spurs after being traded by the Spurs and then waived by the Sonics? He was pursued by numerous other teams, including the Rockets.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Can't they just take one (or two) of the rookies and put them on the Toros without signing them to the Spurs (at the risk, of course, of losing them). Didn't they do that with Marcus Williams last year?Yes, but if they are any good they will be called up just like Marcus was.

BOHOLANO#21
07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
damn. no more mango tree...i'll surely miss bones.

timvp
07-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Can't they just take one (or two) of the rookies and put them on the Toros without signing them to the Spurs (at the risk, of course, of losing them). Didn't they do that with Marcus Williams last year?It's possible but you gotta sign the second rounder first and then cut 'em. And, like you said, you then lose all rights to the player. If Hairston and/or Gist suck in summer league, I imagine the Spurs will first ask if the player is willing to sign in Europe. If not, then I'm assuming they'll go the Marcus Williams route.

peskypesky
07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
That's not going to happen.

So what now?

Trade ChumpDumper.

Russ
If Barry had a problem with the FO, why would he come back to the Spurs after being traded by the Spurs and then waived by the Sonics? He was pursued by numerous other teams, including the Rockets.

It may sound crazy, but I would say a sense of loyalty to the team (read "teammates") that starts and ends with each season.

I think this new season presented a clean guiltless break for Barry.

smeagol
Let the old perimeter players go.

All of them.

I'm ready to roll the dice.

Including manure?

ducks
07-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Possible but if the Spurs re-sign KT, Finley and their rookies, they will be out of roster room. The Spurs won't get a player better than Barry with the exceptions they have available.

barry wanted more playing time then what pop told him he would get

smeagol
07-10-2008, 08:13 PM
Trade ChumpDumper.

Nah . . . we have enough LakerLannies

beachwood
07-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Shit, this is horrible news. Thanks for all everything Barry. Just hope the Spurs don't see you in the playoffs.

ducks
told you peeps barry was gone yesterday

ChumpDumper
Trade ChumpDumper.That's not going to happen.

So what now?

ducks
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Shit, this is horrible news. Thanks for all everything Barry. Just hope the Spurs don't see you in the playoffs.

why he is old and is broken

ChumpDumper
Including manure?Not really old yet.

Just incapable of playing starter's minutes.

Get young guys to play some big minutes.

John_C
Barry could play SG and SF, the same way with Finley. If they let go of Barry and keeps Finley, then it would be more of cost. Probably, they will be making a push for another role player with what they have saved from Barry's departure.

Russ
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Barry could play SG and SF, the same way with Finley. If they let go of Barry and keeps Finley, then it would be more of cost. Probably, they will be making a push for another role player with what they have saved from Barry's departure.

Agreed.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Welcome to H-Town Brent! I am sure you will flourish in Adleman's motion offense.

Thank you Spurs :toast

tmtcsc
07-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Man, that sucks. I thought Barry would have been welcomed back. We are short some big guys. I would not be surprised if Horry has 1 more year left with us. Finley too.

smeagol
07-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Just incapable of playing starter's minutes.

No problem given that he doesn't start.

Get young guys to play some big minutes.

Sure, but they will probably do half what Manu does with double his minutes.

Russ
07-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm reduced to adopting the old Mouse mantra:

"Don't worry, Pop has a secret plan." :)

Gino2882
07-10-2008, 08:26 PM
He would of been solid insurance had Mason started slow and the rookies didn't show up right away. But, again, hard to argue with logic here. Barry wants minutes. He will get them in Houston, and he won't consistently get them here.

This offseason has been extremely underwhelming in almost every area...

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Sure, but they will probably do half what Manu does with double his minutes.So? Either clone Manu or make him able to handle the minutes.

Good luck with both.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
wtf is up with rockets stealin our players

fuck that fagot who came from the rockets who joined our FO, wtf has he done for us since he join, seems like its getting shitter by the day

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Get young with the money we have left.

Try trading later.

Let's get on with it.

smeagol
07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
So? Either clone Manu or make him able to handle the minutes.

Neither will happen so either trade Manu or learn to live with him the way he is.

Sigz
He will still be a fan favorite... even as a Rocket.

No love lost here Brent.

MagnusKrauss
Bye Brent. The motion offense just won't be the same without you.

this would have been a great move by the Spurs FO if Brent went to Houston and then retired before even playing a game.

That would be classic.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Neither will happen so either trade Manu or learn to live with him the way he is.I already have.

Coming off the bench at reduced minutes.

spursjustice
07-10-2008, 08:31 PM
That really does suck :( He really stepped up during the Spurs/Laker series and showed why he's still a vital part of a team... sucks that he has to end up with a div rival...
Nonetheless, I hope Brent does well for the Roxs...

smeagol
07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
I already have.

Coming off the bench at reduced minutes.

As long as he is on the floor in the 4th Q . . .

smeagol
07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow . . . I recall a time when nobody could stand Barry except whottt and one other poster.

timvp
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow . . . I recall a time when nobody could stand Barry except whottt and one other poster.I can recall a time when every thread didn't turn into a Manu thread.

Oh wait, no I can't. Not since 2002.

:stirpot:

NewJerSpur
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Good luck to Brent, and I'm happy he gets to at least stay in Texas which seems to be where his family is most comfortable....even though he won't win (no offense to my Rocket bretheren, but injuries add up). He's done great things in SA and had a big role in the last few championship runs. Hope he can stay healthy and that he plays like shit against the Spurs.

:toast

exstatic
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
True, get younger.

Get rid of Finley too.

+1 BILLION

I still want the rotting corpse of Michael Finley shoved off the stern of the SS Spurs.

Thank you, Mango tree.

smeagol
07-10-2008, 08:36 PM
I can recall a time when every thread didn't turn into a Manu thread.

Oh wait, no I can't. Not since 2002.

touche

ChumpDumper
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
As long as he is on the floor in the 4th Q . . .Like this is some revelation.

NewJerSpur
07-10-2008, 08:39 PM
+1 BILLION

I still want the rotting corpse of Michael Finley shoved off the stern of the SS Spurs.

Thank you, Mango tree.

If they didn't bring Brent back, I can't see them re-signing Fin Dog....okay maybe I can, but I don't know that I'd agree with it.

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Bye Barry you will be missed! I am sure he will try to lite up the Spurs whenever we play ther Rockets...

I know this sux! It had to be done though; it is all part of getting younger. If he was not gone this season he would have been gone next season. I miss him, but I will be over it in the morning. Now the rooks including Ian will need to step up...Pop and RC must have high hopes about the rooks

rascal
07-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Not a bad move. Barry is like an old car that is starting to break down. The spurs need to overhaul the backups and get younger. Finley and Horry also must go.

NewJerSpur
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Horry might still have some bullets left in the chamber (3-point bullets in particular) and he definitely still has a high b-ball IQ.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-10-2008, 09:08 PM
What a shame! We looked best at times when he was on the court.

:pctoss if they bring back Finley who is DONE and was since January.

Thanks for everything, Mango Tree, you were a fantastic Spur and will always be one of my favourites. :tu :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I just want a coach who's smart enough to recognize that when a player is injured, he should be on the bench (Manu), and when a player is shooting the lights out he should stay on the floor (Barry).

A bonus would be if he's smart enough to put in a good rebounder (Thomas) in a game where we're getting raped on the boards.

Trade Pop.

So any ideas for another coach?

bdictjames
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Barry in a Rockets uniform?

Heartbreaking.

Spuradicator
07-10-2008, 09:13 PM
So we keep Finley over Barry. WTF!

This really pisses me off.

angelbelow
07-10-2008, 09:14 PM
thanks brent... you will be missed...

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Trade Pop.

:lmao trade one of the top two coaches in the league!? :rolleyes:nope

SPURSGOAT
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM

QFT! :tu

urunobili
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Very sad. He could've helped us a lot next year.

why don;t you start crying now? :nutkick:

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Wow . . . I recall a time when nobody could stand Barry except whottt and one other poster.

I don't think you're talking about me, but I always thought Barry was going to be a great acquisition so maybe there were more than just two Barry fans. :wakeup

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
why don;t you start crying now? :nutkick:

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

How mature of you.

urunobili
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM
How mature of you.

chill man.. it's reverse psychology... i may be the one about to cry gonna really miss bones :skull

wisnub
07-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks for what you did as a Spur, Bones. :tu

Why the fuck Spurs let Bonnes go? The difference between our initial offer and Houston's is not that great from what I heard...Spurs FO is fucking stingy. As much as how old Barry is, last playoffs he scored 23 points against Lakers and almost won it. He still got his shooting.... Im really dissapointed....this year they work like shit fag (but i like Hill and Mason,they seem to be solid). FUCK RC!!!

So long Bones....I hope u find hapiness retiring in the same team as your brother...Barry will always be part of Spurs family

kupogrey
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
can you imagine, brent barry shooting the wide open threes rafer alston got last season??

Aggie Hoopsfan
If we're getting younger, fine, then embrace it. But if that piece of shit Finley comes back then RC and Pop should be fired.

sabar
Our 3-pt shooting is going to be a lot weaker this coming season.
Streaky Bruce and Manu and then unproven new players.

urunobili
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
If we're getting younger, fine, then embrace it. But if that piece of shit Finley comes back then RC and Pop should be fired.

so where were you when Fin hit the 3 to send game 1 against the suns to OT? :bang

lefty
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
So we keep Finley over Barry. WTF!

This really pisses me off.

Me too.

If Rockers are healthy........ watch out :wow:wow:wow

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
so where were you when Fin hit the 3 to send game 1 against the suns to OT? :bang

Props to him for making the shot, but it was one shot. We shouldn't bring back a shitty Finley because he made one shot.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
PG-Parker/Hill/Vaughn
SG-Ginobili/Mason/Finley
SF-Bowen/Udoka/FA
PF-Duncan/Mahimni/Bonner?
C-Oberto/Thomas

if we can get Delfino (which probably is a long shot), ill be content

sprrs
07-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Where were you when he bricked jumper after jumper, and was pretty much a lay-up drill for the Lakers?

Obstructed_View

When Finley is the opening night starter, the Spurs will benefit from the jump in beer sales.

Aggie Hoopsfan
If they didn't bring Brent back, I can't see them re-signing Fin Dog....okay maybe I can, but I don't know that I'd agree with it.

The problem is if you read all the E-N articles about FA08 for the Spurs, they have continuously mentioned that Barry is talking with other teams (no mention of SA talking with him) and that the Spurs have discussed Finley returning with him and his agent.

If you take it at face value, that rotting piece of shit Michael Finley will be back.

Obstructed_View

Hey, maybe Jaren Jackson is available! He hit a big shot once.

lefty
07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
SJaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Come baaaaaaaaaaaaack !

ploto
07-10-2008, 09:41 PM
And then there were none...:depressed:depressed:depressed

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5598/rashospurs8oq2.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9674/rashospurs9lz4.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Oh I'm sorry, Finley hit one shot once upon a time. Clearly that should trump his showing up one of every 10 games for the last three months of the 2007-2008 season...

Old codger is done. And we're going to bring him back because of Pop's stupid ass mancrush on the piece of trash.

lefty
Aaaaaargh

No more Beno pics

My eyes, my eyes

xtremesteven33
The problem is if you read all the E-N articles about FA08 for the Spurs, they have continuously mentioned that Barry is talking with other teams (no mention of SA talking with him) and that the Spurs have discussed Finley returning with him and his agent.

If you take it at face value, that rotting piece of shit Michael Finley will be back.

ur so disrespectful...rotting piece of shit??

dude..get a life

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
ur so disrespectful...rotting piece of shit??

dude..get a life

Piss off. He's a nice guy off the court, but he is a rotting piece of shit on the court.

If you can't handle the mental image, howabout old man in a nursing home? Or walking down the sidewalk with a walker? Or in a matador's outfit waving the red cape as his man blows by him to go in for a dunk or a layup. Or as a bricklayer, spackling the next brick as he shoots us into a double digit hole against the Lakers.

Excuse the fuck out of me for calling a broken down, washed up old mofo what he is.

timvp
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
And then there were none...:depressed:depressed:depressed

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/5598/rashospurs8oq2.jpg

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/9674/rashospurs9lz4.jpg

ROFL @ Pacers. You never did acknowledge you lost that bet . . .

baseline bum
07-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Me too.

If Rockers are healthy........ watch out :wow:wow:wow

Everyone says that every summer. :lol

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Piss off. He's a nice guy off the court, but he is a rotting piece of shit on the court.

If you can't handle the mental image, howabout old man in a nursing home? Or walking down the sidewalk with a walker? Or in a matador's outfit waving the red cape as his man blows by him to go in for a dunk or a layup. Or as a bricklayer, spackling the next brick as he shoots us into a double digit hole against the Lakers.

Excuse the fuck out of me for calling a broken down, washed up old mofo what he is.

you couldnt hold finleys jockstrap....if youre gonna go out and call a professional athlete a "rotting piece of shit" (who by the way is one of the classiest guys) because he cant make your sorry life feel any better....you NEED to get a life, and take things way to seriously....

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
you couldnt hold finleys jockstrap....if youre gonna go out and call a professional athlete a "rotting piece of shit" (who by the way is one of the classiest guys) because he cant make your sorry life feel any better....you NEED to get a life, and take things way to seriously....

Um, if you're getting bent out of shape over me calling him a rotting piece of shit, you're the one who is taking things way too seriously and needs to get a life.

So now we have to hold a guy's jock to criticize him? I guess we better shut down the forum then, that or line up to kiss all their asses because I don't think anyone here is hanging with any pro baller. Thanks for making a useless argument on his behalf though.

If Finley is a rotation player (or worse yet, starts for us) next year then you can stick a fork in the Tim Duncan era as far as championships go. And that would be a crying shame.

NewJerSpur
07-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Wonder who initiated those talks? The Spurs might just be letting them know that they will keep Michael on the radar while they pursue other options. Nevertheless, I guess Barry's injury problems this season didn't help his cause but I'd MUCH rather have had Vaughn opt out than he. Ime is going to have to work the consistency of his jumper from behind the arc all summer and Mason will have to prove last year was not a fluke. If these two things take place I believe we might be able to stay afloat regarding the team's 3-point bench production...the ball perimeter ball movement will suffer somewhat for a little bit though.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Um, if you're getting bent out of shape over me calling him a rotting piece of shit, you're the one who is taking things way too seriously and needs to get a life.

So now we have to hold a guy's jock to criticize him? I guess we better shut down the forum then, that or line up to kiss all their asses because I don't think anyone here is hanging with any pro baller. Thanks for making a useless argument on his behalf though.

If Finley is a rotation player (or worse yet, starts for us) next year then you can stick a fork in the Tim Duncan era as far as championships go. And that would be a crying shame.

look i understand ur "angry". but show some more respect. these are professional athletes who bust thier butt to make the team better.sure finley hasnt had a great year, and nobody minds people pointing that out, but its people like you who give internet sports blogging a bad name. and what i meant by saying "you couldnt hold finleys jockstrap" is you call him an "old man" and what not. that old man can whoop your a** in basketball.

ducks
07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Neither will happen so either trade Manu or learn to live with him the way he is.

why do you not
QUESTION

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Good luck Brent.

Guess we have another year of Finley...

pad300
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
If we resign Finley or Horry after this, everybody in the FO should be fired. RC, Lindsey, all of them. Barry was by far the best player of the 3 last year, and had proven his loyalty by coming back after the Thomas trade. As it is, he makes the Rockets a hell of a lot better. They have someone who can hit those 3's after Tmac and Yao draw the defenders...Not to mention, he can help out their ball movement a lot. Their offense used to get really stagnant, cause their pg's sucked. With Barry acting as a secondary ball handler, that's gonna lubricate things a lot for 20 MPG.

benefactor
07-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for everything Bones...and I agree with everyone who said Fin should go too. If we a letting the old go and bringing in the new, it should be a full overhaul.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
If we resign Finley or Horry after this, everybody in the FO should be fired. RC, Lindsey, all of them. Barry was by far the best player of the 3 last year, and had proven his loyalty by coming back after the Thomas trade. As it is, he makes the Rockets a hell of a lot better. They have someone who can hit those 3's after Tmac and Yao draw the defenders...Not to mention, he can help out their ball movement a lot. Their offense used to get really stagnant, cause their pg's sucked. With Barry acting as a secondary ball handler, that's gonna lubricate things a lot for 20 MPG.

yea but can he stay healthy?
remember seeing him play in the playoffs last year? he looked like he was playing NOT to get hurt. i think at this stage in your career injuries are just around the corner and can really put you out for a long time. especially if you play alot of minutes (20-25 MPG)

brettn
07-10-2008, 10:07 PM
It does seem like we gave barry a raw deal here. I'm usually not one to criticize the FO but it would've been nice for the spurs to show some loyalty to barry here, especially after he did the same for us this past season. Oh well, GL brent, you'll be missed. :(

NewJerSpur
07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
The problem with the Rockets (besides the fact they can't stay healthy) is that they don't have too many players with mid-range game at this point. Their guys either live in the paint or behind the arc. Brent will just be one more player (however be it a more accurate one) in that fold. I'm a huge fan of his and his ball movement in the Spur's system (it will be lacking for a little bit), but Brent passed up too many point blank scoring opportunities trying to defer to the bigger names on the team during his span with the Spurs and I suspect he will do the same in Houston. Although it never hurts to get a shooter/passer of his calibur, they needed another guy besides T-Mac, and possibly Raefer, with a mid-range game.

Que Gee
07-10-2008, 10:10 PM
PG-Parker/Hill/Vaughn
SG-Ginobili/Mason/Finley
SF-Bowen/Udoka/FA
PF-Duncan/Mahimni/Bonner?
C-Oberto/Thomas

if we can get Delfino (which probably is a long shot), ill be content

Wow...doesn't take much to please you. Bowen, done. Spurs are in trouble. They need reload quick or its going to be a long season.

xtremesteven33
07-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow...doesn't take much to please you. Bowen, done. Spurs are in trouble. They need reload quick or its going to be a long season.

listen, spurs were an injured manu away from getting back to the finals. lets make minor tweeks and adjustments. as long as we have our core group of guys well always be contending.
so far we have gotten younger. people on this forum panic too much. if Duncan,Parker, or Manu were gone than its officially time to doubt and panic.

not now

callo1
07-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't like the idea of keeping Fin over Bones, but as a friend of mine pointed out, the Spurs had no Bird rights on Brent since he went to Seattle then came back, but with Fin, they can utilize Bird rights correct?

So this probably came down to finances again.

I know that right now the Spurs are probably worried about LA or Miami luring Kurt away, so I guess in that way it makes some sense, although I still hate it.

Dex
07-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Seriously, wtf am I gonna do about my avatar?

People aren't gonna recognize my posts anymore. :(

Thanks for the good times and big shots, Barry. Of all the dinosaurs on the team, Barry was the one I was hoping they'd keep the most, but apparently the Spurs didn't see it the same way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 10:29 PM
that old man can whoop your a** in basketball.

Well, I'm convinced. Give him the max. :tu

Seriously, he was great for us back in the day, but he was a freakin' liability and a half against all the teams we faced in the playoffs this year, and he's only going to get slower.

In short, thank you for your contributions in the past, now get lost.

And if you don't like that I'm not kissing his ass, tough shit. I'm tired of Pop giving Fin a free pass for being a turnstile on defense and not hustling for rebounds at either end while he shits on younger perimeter players. It's awesome that Fin came for the minimum while still on Cuban's books for $20 million a year, but that doesn't mean he should get carte blanche to piss away the rest of the Tim Duncan era while sucking hind tit for 27 minutes a game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 10:30 PM
listen, spurs were an injured manu away from getting back to the finals. lets make minor tweeks and adjustments. as long as we have our core group of guys well always be contending.
so far we have gotten younger. people on this forum panic too much. if Duncan,Parker, or Manu were gone than its officially time to doubt and panic.

not now

Yeah, Manu was injured. And clearly there's no possibility of New Orleans or the Lakers getting better...

timvp
07-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Seriously, wtf am I gonna do about my avatar?

People aren't gonna recognize my posts anymore. :(Gotta keep it. At least until Barry plays a meaningful game against the Spurs.

Indazone
07-10-2008, 10:49 PM
That's ok you got George Hill. He'll work out just fine and pick up where Barry left off.

pad300
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
yea but can he stay healthy?
remember seeing him play in the playoffs last year? he looked like he was playing NOT to get hurt. i think at this stage in your career injuries are just around the corner and can really put you out for a long time. especially if you play alot of minutes (20-25 MPG)

Horry is older than Barry, and was also having injury issues. Finley is almost as old, and apparently (judging by what he does on the floor) less athletic. I don't see anyone guaranteeing that either of them is going to stay healthy this season, do you?

I don't know if you believe in advanced stats, but Barry had the highest Offensive Rating on the team last year (of players who got more than 500 minutes), and was only 6th of 13 among the same group in Defensive Rating
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2008.html

He was a great fit as starting SG. His defensive liabilities were hidden by Bruce taking other teams top perimeter scorer. Offensively, he was very efficient. Finally, we didn't need him to log what would be "starters minutes" (30+) on another team, we needed time for Manu to work in as well. Finally, he gave us multiple options being able to play 1,2 or 3 making for some awesome ball mobility sets with Barry, Parker, Manu lineups. Considering we could have had all that for the LLE, I think the FO made a horrible decision here. There simply isn't anyone as good available for that kind of money.

703 Spurz
07-10-2008, 10:51 PM

Exactly. To get younger, guys have to leave. I mean, that's how it works

peskypesky
07-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Trade Pop.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Good guy, had his moments in the playoffs. Some good and some bad.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
fna. This sucks a whole lot of suck. Brent was KEY to the motion offense, which is basically what the Spurs do (or did) best.
This makes the Mason signing so much weaker. Unless Mason can see the court like a damn eagle on a perch and consistently make the perfect pass, we just lost a TON on the offensive side.

4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down
4down

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
The only way to turn this news into a positve is if we dump Finley like an overloaded colon and replace him with a SF/SG who can do what Fin cannot -- namely score, run, pass, and D-UP (Barnes --- pleeeeeeese sign Matt Barnes)

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Provided, of course, that Barry could actually play a full season. Eagles get old and die too.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I love Barry. He was one of my favorite Spurs to watch because of the fluidity he brought to the game on the offensive end. I have so many favorite Spurs moments with Barry in them.

That being said, Barry was never a show stopper on defense and EVERYTHING the Spurs have done this offseason has been geared towards getting better on the defensive end - not the offensive end. I honestly think that the FO doesn't see our offensive struggles as the main problem but rather the slip on the defensive end. If thats the case then I do not expect them to bring back Finley but I could definetly see them making a play at a guy like Maurice Evans.

Stay tuned.

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
The Spurs are going to average 65 ppg this year.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2008, 11:15 PM
true --

He was having a fantastic year till the leg so as long as he can stay healthy he's still golden in my book.

But the point is he was always better than Fin for us and now we're stuck with the (way) lesser player.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Spurs fans wanted the team to get younger and more athletic...

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 11:18 PM
Spurs fans wanted the team to get younger and more athletic...

yep, but the Spurs still aren't athletic.

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I love Barry. He was one of my favorite Spurs to watch because of the fluidity he brought to the game on the offensive end. I have so many favorite Spurs moments with Barry in them.

That being said, Barry was never a show stopper on defense and EVERYTHING the Spurs have done this offseason has been geared towards getting better on the defensive end - not the offensive end. I honestly think that the FO doesn't see our offensive struggles as the main problem but rather the slip on the defensive end. If thats the case then I do not expect them to bring back Finley but I could definetly see them making a play at a guy like Maurice Evans.

Stay tuned.

That's how it seems but how often did Pop say during the stretch run and the playoffs that "we just need to figure out how to score"? and "the D isn't the problem"?

That's why this shit doesn't make sense. Mason can D-up, or so I've heard. So he was a good pick-up to GO WITH re-signing Brent. Without Brent, he's just filling that spot. And then we've got Finley who can't D OR score.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2008, 11:21 PM
That's how it seems but how often did Pop say during the stretch run and the playoffs that "we just need to figure out how to score"? and "the D isn't the problem"?

That's why this shit doesn't make sense. Mason can D-up, or so I've heard. So he was a good pick-up to GO WITH re-signing Brent. Without Brent, he's just filling that spot. And then we've got Finley who can't D OR score.

Only so many minutes to go around. When RM was signed the writing was on the wall that Barry had just been replaced.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
yep, but the Spurs still aren't athletic.

How so?

MannyIsGod
07-10-2008, 11:22 PM
The fact that people were expecting a Barry signing after RMJ was signed just kinda points out that people really don't know how the rotations work.

DespЏrado
07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I honestly think that the FO doesn't see our offensive struggles as the main problem but rather the slip on the defensive end. If thats the case then I do not expect them to bring back Finley but I could definetly see them making a play at a guy like Maurice Evans.

Stay tuned.

Spot on I think. The Spurs will hopefully be much improved on defense next year. Every signing has been for a player who is known for being a better to average defender.

Still it wouldn't hurt to have had Barry to throw in a game to open up the floor. Something he did for the Spurs better than anybody.

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 11:26 PM
How so?

majority of the minutes are still going to parker, manu, duncan, bruce and oberto...

how the hell did anything help this?

Lebowski Brickowski
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
The fact that people were expecting a Barry signing after RMJ was signed just kinda points out that people really don't know how the rotations work.

Except that Barry was ALWAYS better with the offense than Finley.

The point is that w/ Mason, Best OPTION 1 is to bring ONE of the two old farts back and make sure you bring back the right one. I'm saying they let the best one go.
Option 2: Let BOTH old farts walk and sign ONE more FA who can score and D.
OPTION three: Manu, finley and Mason. :bang

EDIT: for Option 2 I've obviously been rooting for Barnes b/c he's technically a long SF who can shoot and defend. And he plays hard. And if he isn't over that whole " I donwannaleavecalifornia" b.s. than fuck a duck.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:33 PM
majority of the minutes are still going to parker, manu, duncan, bruce and oberto...

Manu and Bruce play about half of the swingman rotation minutes. Oberto plays less than half the game.

objective
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM

If re-signed, Finley is perfectly plausible as opening night starter.

In 02-03 Steve Smith was the opening night starter, Stephen Jackson got garbage minutes. It wasn't until injuries took their tolls on Smith and Manu that Pop was forced into Jackson as I recall.

And Finley has remained an iron man when it comes to his health and playing shape the last 2 years.

objective
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM

how the hell did anything help this?

You could add that if it isn't Oberto getting the majority of minutes it will still be Kurt Thomas.

loveforthegame
07-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Finley will be blamed for Barry leaving even if signs with another team or retires. It's so obvious this is all Finley's fault.

The Spurs might talk about wanting to resign Finley but I don't see it happening. I think they sign someone else and give one of the spots to one of the rookies and call it a season.

MannyIsGod
07-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Are people really going to be so upset if the Spurs decide to roll the dice and go with the rookies and RMJ? I thought thats what most people would want. Its a gamble, but its not like the Spurs won't be in contention with simply some able bodies around the big 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I'd rather go with the rookies than keep Finley. He's a wasted roster slot. Sorry Fin, you did us good, but it's a business.

But if Hill and that other guard we drafted totally tank in summer league, then hello finley and we have 2008 season redux in the making, with the added bonus of udoka and his younger twin feuding for backup minutes.

Marcus Bryant
07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Are people really going to be so upset if the Spurs decide to roll the dice and go with the rookies and RMJ? I thought thats what most people would want. Its a gamble, but its not like the Spurs won't be in contention with simply some able bodies around the big 3.

The Spurs weren't able to persuade Corey Maggette into taking $20+ million (or more) less in guaranteed money than what he received from the Warriors, so Spurs fans are going to bitch about everything.

Spurs might as well go with another younger swingman like Evans.

anakha
07-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Spurs fans are going to bitch about everything.

Makes you wonder how much cliffjumping is going to happen in the summer of 2010.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
We need a swingman for sure, as long as he's not underfuckingsized i will be happy at this point. Anyone.

The one thing that people on this forum are still not mentioning (as far as I've read) is that while these moves are servicable, the FO seems to be operating on a premise that may not be true:
Bruce Bowen will be Bruce Bowen next season.
Don't get me wrong, he's my favorite player and I hope he kicks fucking ass next season.....but he is getting up there...like really up there. And if he suffers a decline or gets hurt, then what? We field our two 6'5" guards together with Parker for a small ball festival for the rest of the season?
We need a legitimately sized swingman PRONTO.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 12:02 AM
2008 redux isn't as bad as people think. With meaningful production from Ian/Hill/RMJ we're a better team and really the only way this team is going to win is with a healthy Manu. Lets not forget, if Manu is healthy they're in the finals yet again almost certainly.

loveforthegame
07-11-2008, 12:14 AM

I won't be disappointed at all. I'm really hoping for Gist to make the team if they only pick one of them.

I won't even be disappointed if Finley is brought back as an end of bench guy. I believe the Spurs will be looking to replace him with Delfino or Evans or Barnes or whoever but Finley is probably the cheapest option out there and the Spurs know what they have in him. Plus, I think Finley signs for the minimum whereas Barry wouldn't have.

Borosai
07-11-2008, 12:20 AM
Rookies all the way!!!

Parkey -- Hill -- Vaughn
Mason -- Ginobili -- Hairston
Bowen -- Udoka -- Gist
Duncan -- Mahinmi -- Bonner
Thomas -- Oberto

Reserve one spot for a potential move later in the year. Goooooo Rooookiesssss!

Indazone
07-11-2008, 12:22 AM
http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/07/how_the_rockets.html

July 10, 2008
How the Rockets plan to use Brent Barry.

They see him as the first guy off the bench. They see him sometimes playing the point at the end of games. In those situations, the Rockets could have five scorers on the floor.

They like the fact that he has two championship rings. They like his leadership and believe he's absolutely perfect for Rick Adelman's system. They think he can play point or off-guard or small forward. Most of all, they see him as an elite shooter on a team that needs perimeter offense.

GM Daryl Morey's courtship of Brent Barry began last winter after he'd been released by Seattle. He sent him a video in which Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell, etc., urged him to join the Rockets.

He decided to return to the Spurs, the team with which he was more comfortable. Morey resumed his pursuit of Barry as soon as free agency opened last week.

He flew to Southern California last week for a one-on-one meeting. Barry spoke with Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Rick Adelman among others. They told him this was a good situation, a really good team with really good guys.

The Rockets don't know if Brent Barry makes them a championship-caliber team. After all, he's 36 years old, and you never know when a player is going to begin to decline.

They simply believe he makes them better than they were yesterday, and that he could be another important piece in a complex puzzle.

He's a career 41-percent 3-point shooter. He was 43-percent last year.

The Rockets were 25th in the NBA last season with 34-percent 3-point shooting. Only one player, Steve Novak, shot better than Barry, and he's a defensive liability. At the moment, Adelman's eight-man rotation seems likely to have Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, Shane Battier, Luis Scola and Rafer Alston in the starting lineup and Barry, Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry as the top contributors off the bench.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Only one player, Steve Novak, shot better than Barry, and he's a defensive liability.

As if.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd rather go with the rookies than keep Finley. He's a wasted roster slot. Sorry Fin, you did us good, but it's a business.

Amen. :toast

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:27 AM
It is hard to win with rookies, I think that is why people are apprehensive. That is where the experience factor comes in, rookies play their part, but to expect a bunch of "no-namers" to play important roles on a serious championship contender is asking a lot. We are at a cross roads of developing young potential and winning another chip. We will be relying heavily on the older players for sure and I think people are being unrealistic about expectations from Hill and Ian and others. There is a learning curve. I think we are still in contention, but the margin for error is slim-to-none and that is why people are bitching. You can not blame fans for wanting to win and wanting big name players, it is part of the deal.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Only in SA are 28 year olds considered "rookies"...

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Barry's numbers were awesome, one of the best shooters ever to be a Spur. He really is a versatile offensive player. He would help any team if he is healthy and asked to only play 20-22 minutes a night.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Only in SA are 28 year olds considered "rookies"...

Hill is not 28, nor is Mahinmi...that is who I was referring to obviously.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Barry's numbers were awesome, one of the best shooters ever to be a Spur. He really is a versatile offensive player. He would help any team if he is healthy and asked to only play 20-22 minutes a night.

...for 31 games.

ShoogarBear
07-11-2008, 12:31 AM

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/others/european-mole-22725.jpg

My first thought on hearing this was, "I wonder if Dennis Lindsey had anything to do with this decision".

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:32 AM
If Hairston or Gist make the team that is 4 true rookies on the squad...

I am comfortable going to war with the same rotation + Mason, it will be the exact same squad essentially (because Horry and Barry were injured):
Tim, Manu, Tony, Bruce, Udoka, Oberto, Vaughn, hopefully Kurt and add Mason, no rookies there..

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:34 AM
...for 31 games.

Are you seriously knocking Barry's production over the course of his time with the Spurs?

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Are you seriously knocking Barry's production over the course of his time with the Spurs?

I'm knocking it today, which is all that is relevant. The Spurs can't keep these guys forever.

Brutalis
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Well good for him. He won't do jack against us though.

And he made this decision cause his daddy and brother retired there? :lol

Alllrighty then. Didn't want him back anyways. He's old and feeble aka washed up for the most part.

T Park
2008 redux isn't as bad as people think. With meaningful production from Ian/Hill/RMJ we're a better team and really the only way this team is going to win is with a healthy Manu. Lets not forget, if Manu is healthy they're in the finals yet again almost certainly.

Check that, if Manu is healthy, we are talking right now how to prepare for a three peat.

Of course the luck of this team in repeat years, how many times have we talked about 3 peats and 4 peats.

This Spurs era will go down as one of succession but, it will go as one that had a chance to go down as something of basketball lore. Celtics, Lakers, Spurs would've been mentioned for years in the same sentences and no one could argue otherwise.

DPG21920
My statement was made if he is healthy, which for the most part he was. That is like knocking Gino because he got injured and that was the last memory we have of him and it hurt us so badly.

rapliketp
07-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Barry was out for an awfully long time this season. Age has caught up to him, he's done as a NBA player. This is the Spurs revenge for Scola.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Check that, if Manu is healthy, we are talking right now how to prepare for a three peat.

Of course the luck of this team in repeat years, how many times have we talked about 3 peats and 4 peats.

This Spurs era will go down as one of succession but, it will go as one that had a chance to go down as something of basketball lore. Celtics, Lakers, Spurs would've been mentioned for years in the same sentences and no one could argue otherwise.

I do not know if we beat the Celtics cause their D was hands down better than ours, but their offense was way worse!

It just goes to show you how hard it is to win. When people bitch about not winning back-to-back or what not, I just ask them to name a team in any sport that wins every year...just because a team does not win, does not mean they were not good enough to win. It takes so much and constantly being in the mix is a blessing in itself.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:42 AM
He's a 36 year old swingman who's coming off a significant leg injury. Turn the page...

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:44 AM
I am over it, all I said was he was a very versatile offensive player and his numbers with the Spurs were excellent. Thats it, if it is just one page to turn, quit reading so much into it.

Indazone
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
I think he's got one or two more seasons of gas left in the tank. After that he's done.

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 01:27 AM
YOUTH MOVEMENT!!! C-ya Barry!

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
The only funny part about Barry leaving is now whottt has to find a way to root for Barry to help the Rockets win while at the same time rooting for the Rockets to lose to blame it on Scola.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:30 AM
The only funny part about Barry leaving is now whottt has to find a way to root for Barry to help the Rockets win while at the same time rooting for the Rockets to lose to blame it on Scola.

Barry will win a couple of games in their 1st round series next year, but Scola will cause them to lose the series.

whottt
07-11-2008, 01:50 AM

Fuck Barry...no one put a gun to his head to go play for the Rockets. I like him but I don't like him that fucking much...I hope he's won his last title.

Do I consider him a traitor? No...becuase it's not like his jersey was up for retirment or anything.

The Spurs traded him and Spursfans and Pop never appreciated his skills...and Pop is stupid for not valuing what he can do against LA. Pop's all teams are the same all open shots are the same is a stupid methodogoly when applied to LA...and it's why Phil Jackson owns his ass. I gaurantee you Phil smirked at the Spurs losing Barry...

And probably thought cool...Finley's man is one more guy I can put on Duncan, Manu or Parker now.

What sucks is that we'll be getting Finley back...

Keeping Barry losing Finley = win win
Losing Barry losing Finley = lose win
Losing Barry keeping Finley = lose lose

whottt
07-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Can we get a vbookie on if Finsuckfuckingassdog will be able to keep his FG over 30% this season?(I like easy money).

T Park
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
The Spurs traded him and Spursfans and Pop never appreciated his skills.

Wipe your tears with bullshit Kleenex from someone Else's box and don't try and filibuster argument that BS either.

DMX7
Losing Barry keeping Finley = lose lose

I kind of agree with this; however I don't think its nearly as black and white (no pun intended). I don't think either one of these guys would have played the same kind of role here as they did in the past.

timvp
Fuck Barry...no one put a gun to his head to go play for the Rockets. I like him but I don't like him that fucking much...I hope he's won his last title.

Do I consider him a traitor? No...becuase it's not like his jersey was up for retirment or anything.

The Spurs traded him and Spursfans and Pop never appreciated his skills...and Pop is stupid for not valuing what he can do against LA. Pop's all teams are the same all open shots are the same is a stupid methodogoly when applied to LA...and it's why Phil Jackson owns his ass. I gaurantee you Phil smirked at the Spurs losing Barry...

And probably thought cool...Finley's man is one more guy I can put on Duncan, Manu or Parker now.

What sucks is that we'll be getting Finley back...

Losing Barry keeping Finley = lose loseSay the Spurs also dump Finley. Is it a positive or negative net outcome if the Spurs lose both Finley and Barry ... in whottt's eyes, of course.

T Park
Can we get a vbookie on if Finsuckfuckingassdog will be able to keep his FG over 30% this season?(I like easy money).

Will we able to keep a vbookie on over under minutes until Barry's hammy blows up again.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 01:57 AM
I honestly don't see Finley in next year's rotatino and I'm not convinced they're going to bring him back at all. I think Pop feels indebted to him a bit, but not that much since he got his ring.

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM
The biggest negatives I see about this offseason is that in terms of experienced players the Spurs are trading youth for intelligence and they aren't getting that much more athletic or talented in the trade off.

Barry is probably about the second or third smartest offensive player in the NBA(behind Paul and Nash) and Horry is the smartest player in the NBA period...

Both are smarter players on the court(Barry on offense) than Pop is smart as a coach...

I'd take Horry over Kurt Thomas 8 days a week...it's not like Kurt Thomas is known for his health or anything...inspite of his rep as being a smart player I have seen him make plenty of stupid fucking plays in only about a third of the season as a Spur...in fact I saw him make more stupid plays in the Hornets series alone than I've seen Horry make in his entire career...

On top of that KT couldn't hit a meaningful shot to save his life...it's not like he shot better than Horry....and at least Horry is clutch.

Oh well...at least we got some one to put on Shaq now because that's a huge key to winning a title with the Steve Nash/Shaq O'neal led defense oriented youthful Suns in the hunt :majorfuckingrolleyes

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM
I honestly don't see Finley in next year's rotatino and I'm not convinced they're going to bring him back at all. I think Pop feels indebted to him a bit, but not that much since he got his ring.

Agreed.

I don't get where everyone is getting that the Spurs are definately bringing him back outside of a few reports from McDonald.

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Wipe your tears with bullshit Kleenex from someone Else's box and don't try and filibuster argument that BS either.

1. Go fuck yourself.
2. Take Finley with you when you do it...

Choker lover. You don't know shit.

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:09 AM
Say the Spurs also dump Finley. Is it a positive or negative net outcome if the Spurs lose both Finley and Barry ... in whottt's eyes, of course.

I said all along, regardless of what else happens, if Michael Finley is on this team next season, this offseason will be a failure.

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:11 AM
I'd take Horry over Kurt Thomas 8 days a week...it's not like Kurt Thomas is known for his health or anything...inspite of his rep as being a smart player I have seen him make plenty of stupid fucking plays in only about a third of the season as a Spur...in fact I saw him make more stupid plays in the Hornets series alone than I've seen Horry make in his entire career...

On top of that KT couldn't hit a meaningful shot to save his life...it's not like he shot better than Horry....and at least Horry is clutch.

Oh well...at least we got some one to put on Shaq now because that's a huge key to winning a title with the Steve Nash/Shaq O'neal led defense oriented youthful Suns in the hunt :majorfuckingrolleyes

I see Kurt Thomas is gonna take over for Michael Finley in your childish blind baseless hatred of a Spur.

MannyIsGod
The biggest negatives I see about this offseason is that in terms of experienced players the Spurs are trading youth for intelligence and they aren't getting that much more athletic or talented in the trade off.

Barry is probably about the second or third smartest offensive player in the NBA(behind Paul and Nash) and Horry is the smartest player in the NBA period...

Both are smarter players on the court(Barry on offense) than Pop is smart as a coach...

I don't think you're giving KT the credit he deserves. He was lost on offense for much of the time with the Spurs, but at the same time he was a late season pickup so it not like he had forever to gel.

His jumper is silky smooth and given time to develop cohesion the pick and roll game with him will be a good source of our offense.

Horry is just done. I agree his brain was great, but man the Spurs palyed four on five last season in the playoffs with him on the court. It was painful how bad he was at times. His defense was still there once or twice in the post season but otherwise he was just plain done.

I love Barry for a lot of the same reasons you did, but I honestly feel the Spurs are going back to their defensive roots, and he doens't fit in with that scenario.

These guys were great, and they may have a tiny bit left in the tank but you have to move on at some point. The Spurs gave them a shot last season and it was just painful to watch their vets play at times. While Barry was by far the best he also spent much of the season sidelined due to an injury that occured twice in the year. You have to take his possible health issues into consideration as well.

T Park
1. Go fuck yourself.
2. Take Finley with you when you do it...

Choker lover. You don't know shit.

So you have no arguement. Typical.

timvp
07-11-2008, 02:13 AM
I said all along, regardless of what else happens, if Michael Finley is on this team next season, this offseason will be a failure.So if Finley is off the team, the offseason will be a success?

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:17 AM
I honestly don't see Finley in next year's rotatino and I'm not convinced they're going to bring him back at all.

I hope you're right.

I think Pop feels indebted to him a bit, but not that much since he got his ring.

What is Pop indebted to him for? He didn't do shit for this team...he came here to nutride a ring when we were the defending champions, after being a complete bitch about Bruce Bowen...he did it to stick it to the Mavs more than anything else(plus he figured it was his best shot at a ring)...

And then he stuck it to the Mavs, in a loss...BFD...Steve Smith stuck it to Portland...I didn't feel indebted to him for it.

I've pretty much decided...chokers always play well against their old teams(and pretty much no one else).....

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:18 AM
So if Finley is off the team, the offseason will be a success?

More of one than if he is on it...

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:24 AM
I don't think you're giving KT the credit he deserves. He was lost on offense for much of the time with the Spurs, but at the same time he was a late season pickup so it not like he had forever to gel.

He bricked open shot after open shot...his shot.

His jumper is silky smooth and given time to develop cohesion the pick and roll game with him will be a good source of our offense.

Old broken down Horry > Old broken down Kurt Thomas.

Horry is just done.

And Kurt Thomas isn't?

I agree his brain was great, but man the Spurs palyed four on five last season in the playoffs with him on the court. It was painful how bad he was at times. His defense was still there once or twice in the post season but otherwise he was just plain done.

And Kurt Thomas looked done against everyone but the Suns...

I love Barry for a lot of the same reasons you did, but I honestly feel the Spurs are going back to their defensive roots, and he doens't fit in with that scenario.

It doesn't matter how defense oriented the Spurs are...they only win titles win they can hit open shots and the Spurs lost two of their double proof guys in Barry and Horry...and the offense was the reason the Lakers beat the Spurs...not their D.

These guys were great, and they may have a tiny bit left in the tank but you have to move on at some point.

Finley has less in the tank than Barry...

And I don't think Kurt Thomas has ever had more in the tank than Horry when it comes to winning.

The Spurs gave them a shot last season and it was just painful to watch their vets play at times. While Barry was by far the best he also spent much of the season sidelined due to an injury that occured twice in the year. You have to take his possible health issues into consideration as well.

Kurt Thomas is injury prone...

Finley may not be injured...but he's got no legs left....and since he can't do shit but score even with legs...that's a losing proposition for the Spurs...on the deep bench, or anywhere else.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Kurt Thomas looked far from done. He didn't look great at times, but considering the situation I wasn't that suprised. He ALWAYS looked good on D and on the boards last year though.

Horry - on the other hand - look absolutely pathetic on offense. It was sad seeing a great player reduced to such ineffectiveness. He had one game in the entire playoffs where he looked OK on D when he did decently against Odom, but that was about it.

I'm sorry, but there is no way in hell Horry looked better than Kurt Thomas at any point last season.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Whottt, Horry shot 19 percent from the field in the playoffs. 19 fucking percent! If thats not done, I don't know what is.

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Horry had a rough season last year...he's never been that injured before, he had some sort of personal problems at the beginning of the season...Horry was bigger part of the victory over the Hornets than Thomas was.

If he man says he's not done, he's not done IMO. Horry knows his limitations...that's one of his strenghts.

Kurt Thomas always has been and always will be a better rebounder than Horry...but Horry brings a lot more in terms of intangibles and Horry has the versatility to change momentum in a variety of ways...

Horry is smarter than Pop is...at least when it comes to basketball. It's just like Pop said...you can tell him to do something, and he'll go out there and do something else that you never thought of, and it'll be better than what you thought of. It's like if something happens that no one else has ever seen before or was expecting, some sort of situation where everyone is lost and no one else knows what do do...Horry knows what to do, and there is nothing physical about it...Horry is never lost in those situations...it's just a tremendous intangible, and he still had it last season if you ask me.

And he's still not going to be dared to shoot by anyone...it took teams about 2 games to figure out daring KT to shoot was a winning proposition.

If we're going old guys...I like Horry and Barry better than Thomas and Finley...if we're dumping old guys...then let's dump them all. At least our young guys will be ready in 2010 then...and I think Horry and Barry have more to teach the young guys than Finley and Thomas as well.

Pop likes Thomas and Finley because they are yes men basically, that he can control...whereas Barry and Finley aren't. I've seen this sort of Pop team before...and I don't like it. Pop needs a least a couple of guys that he can't control on the roster...because he's not that smart of a coach and if everyone does exactly what he says...we don't win championships.

Mr. Body
07-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Officially now, the team is worse than last year's and significantly worse than the championship team of 2007.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
:lol Hearing Mr. Body's take makes me feel more assured the Spurs are headed in the right direction.

Mr. Body
07-11-2008, 03:15 AM
:lol Hearing Mr. Body's take makes me feel more assured the Spurs are headed in the right direction.

Wow are you an idiot. Have you looked what's going on?

nil.ball
07-11-2008, 03:16 AM
"You have no soul. "

:lol

Mr. Body
07-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Probably need to resign Finley now. All the bench guards cannot yet be counted on. Maybe they turn out okay, but you have rookies and a guy in Mason who had one year of success only and will need to learn the system. I don't see them not signing Finley at this point.

Texas_Ranger
07-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Bye, Bye!

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:27 AM
That unproven you talk about in Mason did better last year than both those provens you're talking about in Finley and Barry in a much less favorable situation.

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 03:30 AM

good point.

TDMVPDPOY
07-11-2008, 03:34 AM
this team looks shit compared to the 03 team which was the worst spurs championship roster

whottt
07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why in the hell Pop is indebted to Finley? Because he played well against the Mavs in 06? In a loss?

Because he took less to play here? So did Rasho. And Barry...and Horry...and Bruce and Manu and Tony and Duncan etc.