PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?

exstatic
02-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Just kidding, crippled dude. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2004/02/02/bc.fbn.superbowl.culpep.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

travis2
02-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Just kidding, crippled dude. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2004/02/02/bc.fbn.superbowl.culpep.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

That is sooooooo this morning...:lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10086

SpursWoman
02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
That's bad...... :fro

desflood
02-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Real classy, dude.

ReverendRob
02-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I'm looking at the situation and I see Culpepper attempting to do something cool and now he's painted in a bad light. I'm not sure he ever said "Hey kid, I'm giving these to you as a gift." I think he was just in the spirit of the moment and when the kid said "Can I get some of that ice", Culpepper just played along. In the absence of an outright proclaimation of "I'm giving these to you", no one should assume that they were a gift. If I'm some high school kid (paralyzed or otherwise) who makes an off-hand comment and a player plays along, I'm happy for the time I have walking around with $75K in ice hanging off my neck and say thanks when the player comes back to collect his "stuff". I don't make assumptions that it belongs to me. The kids comment wasn't even direct enough to say "Can you give me your necklaces?", just "can I get some of that".

As an example, and maybe not completely relevant but is displays the point, when Steve Kerr whipped out his "bling, blink" and SJax was salivating all over it (ok...that doesn't sound right), if SJax had made an off-hand comment of "give me some of that ice" and Kerr handed him a ring, does that make is SJax's? Do we get pissed at Kerr for asking for it back? No. And before someone offers a comment that the situation is different with "the ring doesn't count because it's unique" or "Sjax can buy his own jewelry" or "it would be obvious it was in jest", the situation is still the same. When one person makes a comment and the other plays along, everyone should enjoy the joke and that's it. There is no transfer of ownership implied. The issue that really makes this a discussion here is that the kid is paralyzed but why should that be the issue? I feel sorry for the kid, as everyone should. Paralysis is a horrible thing and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. And it goes without saying that we should make some special allowances for them but does that mean we can't kid around or joke with them? Culpepper was probably just trying to help bring a smile to that kids day and he's getting knocked around the national press. Is it possible that he initially intended to give that to the kid? Maybe. But nothing in the story provided says that he had definite intentions to do so. Personally, I'd rather give him the benefit of the doubt since it seems that he may have just wanted to do something cool for a kid in an unfortunate situation.

Useruser666
02-03-2005, 05:47 PM
I think it would better if the kid got a gift that was more appropriate for him. Like maybe a scholarship or a HOUSE! It was worth $75,000 after all!

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Whatever. Crippled dude shouldn't be asking for any handouts. He can work and buy some "ice" just like Daunte did. If he saves every penny from a minimum wage job working full time he should be able to afford that in what, 10 or 12 years? That's not bad at all.

Good for you Culpepper, hang onto that jewelry, you earned it my man.

dcole50
02-03-2005, 06:29 PM
copter, i believe the kid is paraplegic. atleast, that's what dan patrick said on the radio today.

SequSpur
02-03-2005, 06:40 PM
To bad so sad.

baseline bum
02-03-2005, 08:00 PM
Culpepper should have gotten him some legs instead.

ShoogarBear
02-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Damn, y'all are some cold MFs.

I think everybody f-ed up. Kid (maybe) tries to make a joke, Daunte felt bad for him, wasn't quite sure what to do to play along, and probably immediately realized his mistake. (Think about it, if the kid was not paraplegic, Culpepper would have probably just made some joke to him back.)

The kid (and his parents) should have never accepted them. I feel for his situation, but that's not an excuse to expect people to give you jewelry.

Guru of Nothing
02-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Another Version of the Story (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5221966.html)

Kevin Seifert
February 4, 2005

JACKSONVILLE, FLA. -- This is what happens when there is too much media and not enough stories.

One of the NFL's most genuine and kind players carried out a genuinely kind act Wednesday. And what did Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper get for his thoughtfulness?

National scorn, thanks to an Associated Press reporter who misinterpreted the scene and never bothered to follow up with the key players.

Here's what happened: While participating in a news conference Wednesday, Culpepper fielded an awkward question from a paralyzed 17-year-old boy. "Hey Daunte," said J.T. Townsend. "Can I get some ice?" -- a reference to the $100,000, diamond-encrusted necklace around Culpepper's neck.

With cameras rolling, Culpepper walked over to Townsend and thrilled him by hanging the necklace around his neck. Later, Culpepper sought out Townsend and put the chain back on. At Culpepper's request, Townsend's parents wrote down his address and contact information. Culpepper promised to send him gifts and memorabilia.

We were standing at Culpepper's side when the transaction took place. There was no animosity, no hurt feelings and no accusations of impropriety -- only thank-yous from Townsend, his parents and a doctor nearby.

The AP version of the story, however, in essence painted Culpepper as a spoiled athlete who "sheepishly" took away a gift from a paralyzed teenager once the cameras stopped shooting. Newspapers and Internet sites picked up the story nationally. One problem: Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Anyone who has met Culpepper knows he wears the necklace every day. He has for years. Garish as it might be -- its main ornament is a 6-inch hot pepper -- it carries sentimental and personal value. Since when is anyone -- athlete, actor, politician or average schmoe -- obligated to hand over personal possessions permanently when someone asks? Or should Culpepper have shot down the request and embarrassed Townsend on television?

If that's your story, then the next time someone asks you for your wedding ring or a sweater your grandmother knitted, you better cough it up. Or else find some real news to write about.

Clandestino
02-04-2005, 11:24 AM
what do you expect the minnesota paper to say?

exstatic
02-04-2005, 11:37 AM
If that's your story, then the next time someone asks you for your wedding ring or a sweater your grandmother knitted, you better cough it up. Or else find some real news to write about.

If you actually take off granny's sweater or your wedding ring, and give it to said "someone", then yes, you should.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2005, 03:01 PM
You guys are bitches. He's giving the kid something, what the hell is your problem?