07-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Ginobili, Mason Jr., Hairston
Bowen, Udoka, Gist
Duncan, Bonner,
Oberto, Mahinmi

I got this as the current roster.

We got two slots open.

I assume one of them goes to Kurt Thomas, and the other will go to Finley or another big man.

Robert Horry appears to be the odd man out, and we just lost Brent Barry to Houston.

Personally, I am happy with the moves the Spurs have made so far.

Prior to this draft/free agency everyone was begging the Spurs to get young and quite frankly they have done so. Yet, it appears to be a disappointment because the additions are not "big names."

We got a young back up point. A young wing in Mason Jr and Hairston, and a potential SF in Gist.

Granted, the majority of the additions are unproven.

With that said, I have not heard Pop be as confident about a 1st rounder (Hill) since maybe Tony Parker. He also appears to like Hairston and could see him making the roster if he busts his ass in Summer League and Camp. Gist is a darkhorse, but the Spurs obviously saw some potential and are going to give him a shot.

We still have some cap left, but I think the Spurs are going to play it safe.

Ultimately, do the Spurs roll with the three rookies and re-sign Thomas and Finley or do they just re-sign Thomas and get one more free agent?

I think they go with Thomas, and seek one more free agent who is going to be a PF/C.

Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Bowen, Udoka, Gist
Duncan, Mahinmi, Bonner
Thomas, Oberto, Free Agent

NewJerSpur
07-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Hopefully they can re-sign Thomas and sign one more FA SF who can play the 3 and even possibly the 4...like say, Matt Barnes. Here's to hoping.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Prior to this draft/free agency everyone was begging the Spurs to get young and quite frankly they have done so. Yet, it appears to be a disappointment because the additions are not "big names."

They haven't done so if they bring back Finley.

spursnatic
07-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Bowen, Udoka, Gist
Duncan, Bonner,
Oberto, Mahinmi

I got this as the current roster.

We got two slots open.

I assume one of them goes to Kurt Thomas, and the other will go to Finley or another big man.

Robert Horry appears to be the odd man out, and we just lost Brent Barry to Houston.

Personally, I am happy with the moves the Spurs have made so far.

We got a young back up point. A young wing in Mason Jr and Hairston, and a potential SF in Gist.

Granted, the majority of the additions are unproven.

With that said, I have not heard Pop be as confident about a 1st rounder (Hill) since maybe Tony Parker. He also appears to like Hairston and could see him making the roster if he busts his ass in Summer League and Camp. Gist is a darkhorse, but the Spurs obviously saw some potential and are going to give him a shot.

We still have some cap left, but I think the Spurs are going to play it safe.

Ultimately, do the Spurs roll with the three rookies and re-sign Thomas and Finley or do they just re-sign Thomas and get one more free agent?

I think they go with Thomas, and seek one more free agent who is going to be a PF/C.

Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Bowen, Udoka, Gist
Duncan, Mahinmi, Bonner
Thomas, Oberto, Free Agent But one thing about this Hairston and Gist will most likely be with the Austin Toros all season. So I think that will give us a few more open spots to possibly sign J.R Smith or James Posey. Those are about the only good and affordable free agents left.:flag:

spurs1990
07-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm exciting about Mason and Hill. I believe both players will contribute and will add some pizazz to this next season, something sorely missed after the tediously flavorless 07-08 roster.

And if Ian and the other two rooks turn out to be gems, then there is the youth that'll get us past LA, Utah, and New Orleans next May.

As for Brent Barry.....two tears in a bucket...won't be missed imo.

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 10:55 PM
This is what I would like to see.

PG-Parker, Hill, Vaughn
SG-Ginobili, Mason, Hairston
SF-Bowen, Udoka, Gist
PF-Duncan, Mahinmi
C-Thomas, Oberto

Fill in the remaining two spots with LLE guys...preferably a big man and swingman obviously. Finley goes. Bonner needs to be traded. Something tells me they will be back in SA though.

Spurtacus
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
But one thing about this Hairston and Gist will most likely be with the Austin Toros all season. So I think that will give us a few more open spots to possibly sign J.R Smith or James Posey. Those are about the only good and affordable free agents left.:flag:

We won't be getting JR. Posey is still a possibility if we trade Bonner/picks/cash for him.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 11:03 PM
But one thing about this Hairston and Gist will most likely be with the Austin Toros all season.

If the Spurs sign Hairston and Gist, then send them to the Toros, they still count against the Spurs 15 roster spots.

SequSpur
07-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Ginobili, Mason Jr. (:lmao), Sasha, Finley
Bowen, Udoka
Duncan/Mahinmi (:lol)
Oberto/Thomas

Dumpster-Bonner/Gist/Hairston

Kori Ellis
07-10-2008, 11:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they moved (tried to move) Bonner and Udoka. Hopefully Finley doesn't re-sign.

Spurs4lyf
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
This is how I see the roster shaping for next year.

PG Parker/Hill/Vaughn
SG Manu/Mason/Finely
SF Bowen/Udoka/Hairston
PF Duncan/Bonner/Ian
C Oberto/K.Thomas/?

D-League: Gist / Dan Nwaelele

This is just my opinion and cant support any of it. :D

I'm thinking we need another big for C. Maybe a Mourning (unlikely), Lorenzen Wright (intrest back in the day), S. Marks(Cheap and knows system plus brings that fun to locker room that Barry brought).

canadianspursfan
07-10-2008, 11:14 PM
I can't see the spurs moving Udoka, he did some great things and is only making 1 million. Finley isn't the answer, Udoka can take his minutes he offers more defensively. Another bigger SF would be nice. At this point, even though he's 35, Kurt Thomas is a must have player on this team.

Tully365
07-10-2008, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they moved (tried to move) Bonner and Udoka. Hopefully Finley doesn't re-sign.

Are you implying Udoka/Bonner S&T for Posey?

wildbill2u
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
From all the scouting reports, Hill is not a natural PG and usually played SG in college. If so, his transition to the NBA point guard may be more lengthy than expected. I wonder if Pop is willing to give meaningful minutes to a rookie ahead of (gasp) Vaughn.

spurman20
07-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Hairston may get some time but Gist most likely wont......I think they will sign at least 3 vets or make a trade prior to start of season...they are waiting for bargains.......Should go after Hayes...Ratliff.....Tony Allen......or look to trade for someone with potiental like JJ Redick.....With Orlando wanting a vet pg we could trade him for jj...would help both teams.....we would get a barry replacement who has shown he can score when given mins......would make an excellent 7th or 8th man

spurs1990
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Hairston may get some time but Gist most likely wont......I think they will sign at least 3 vets or make a trade prior to start of season...they are waiting for bargains.......Should go after Hayes...Ratliff.....Tony Allen......or look to trade for someone with potiental like JJ Redick.....With Orlando wanting a vet pg we could trade him for jj...would help both teams.....we would get a barry replacement who has shown he can score when given mins......would make an excellent 7th or 8th man

Jacque Vaughn for JJ Redick. Sign me up. Redick has Spurs written all over him.

El_Mago
07-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Ginobili, Mason Jr.
Bowen, Udoka,
Duncan, Mahinmi, Bonner
Thomas, Oberto

D-League: Hairston and Gist

I think the Spurs should make a run at either at a hybrid player (SG/SF) ....aka....Walter Herrmann, who could probably be had for the LLE or the rest of the MLE because Detriot does not seem too interested in retaining him. We could be attractive to him because of Manu and Oberto, and of course the Spurs style of play.

OR

The Spurs can round up that PF/C position by picking up a solid veteran who can just bruise people and give fouls. Basically insurance....Michael Doleac is unrestricted in Minnesota.

loveforthegame
07-11-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't see the Spurs going with all 3 rookies. I see them resigning Thomas and Finley. Maybe try to get Najera here on the cheap and keep whatever rookies impresses them the most.

Oberto-Thomas-Mahinmi
Duncan-Najera-Bonner
Bowen-Udoka-Gist
Mason-Ginobli-Finley
Parker-Hill-Vaughn

spurman20
07-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Jacque Vaughn for JJ Redick. Sign me up. Redick has Spurs written all over him.

Im hope this goes down.......I believe he will be a starting SG for a team the in the next 2 yrs.......he needs to improve his D but he can shoot......Orlando just has too many pcs that do the same things he does and more

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:49 AM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Mason or Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan

Bench
1 Hill
2 Mason or Ginobili
2/3 Udoka
4 Bonner
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Oberto

Free Agents
2/3 Finley
4 Horry
4/5 Thomas

Other Draft Picks
2/3 Hairston
3/4 Gist

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 12:58 AM
I just do not see Pop giving a lot of minutes to either Hill or Ian. They at most will play 4-6 minutes a game. We can not set the bar too high for them, that is asking too much. I really wanted the Spurs to try and get Sasha, he would have been great in the two spot.

misterx91578
07-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Unrestricted free agent Eduardo Najera has had conversations with both the Nets and Spurs about joining their teams.
Najera met with Nets officials about a possible contract, and has a good relationship with GM Kiki Vandeweghe, who used to be with Denver. He added that the Spurs have "moved up" in their quest for his services, as Najera went to high school in the area. It's starting to sound like he won't return to the Nuggets
http://www.rotoworld.com/

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:02 AM
If the Spurs sign Hairston and Gist, then send them to the Toros, they still count against the Spurs 15 roster spots.

That is common though, no one plays all 15 guys. That is what happened with Ian last year...

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Unrestricted free agent Eduardo Najera has had conversations with both the Nets and Spurs about joining their teams.
Najera met with Nets officials about a possible contract, and has a good relationship with GM Kiki Vandeweghe, who used to be with Denver. He added that the Spurs have "moved up" in their quest for his services, as Najera went to high school in the area. It's starting to sound like he won't return to the Nuggets
http://www.rotoworld.com/

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/10/spurs-nets-both-line-land-nuggets-najera/

Najera meets with Nets, talks up Spurs
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Originally published 09:26 p.m., July 10, 2008
Updated 10:13 p.m., July 10, 2008

Indications are the Nuggets want to bring back the great majority of their players from last season. They might want to act soon if Eduardo Najera is to be one.

Najera, a free-agent forward, was in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, where New Jersey is playing in a summer league, to meet with Nets officials about a possible contract. Najera has a good relationship with Nets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, who had the same title in Denver during Najera's first 11/2 Nuggets seasons.

Then there's San Antonio, where Najera attended high school. Najera said Thursday that "San Antonio has moved up" in the quest to land him.

Najera, whose preference has been to return to Denver, said in the late-afternoon interview he had yet to receive any offers.

Najera, who Wednesday showed strong interest in New Jersey, declined to elaborate on his dealings with the Nets.

But he spoke more freely about the Spurs.

"San Antonio, they're trying to work some things out in terms of years and all that," Najera said. "I'm open."

The Nets and Spurs present different challenges from a contract standpoint. The Nets can offer more out of the midlevel exception of $5,585,000, but they are reluctant to hand out much money past summer 2010 because of an expected run at likely free agent LeBron James.

The Spurs have less money available for next season. After agreeing to a two-year, $7.5 million deal with free agent Roger Mason Jr., they have about $2 million left in the midlevel exception as well as the $1.91 million biannual exception.

The Nuggets are deep into the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax. So they would pay double the money for a contract signed by Najera.

The Nuggets are continuing to look to bring back players from last season. Free-agent point guard Anthony Carter already has said he will return on a one- year, $1.26 million deal.

Free-agent guard Yakhouba Diawara said he spoke Tuesday with Nuggets coach George Karl. Diawara said Karl echoed what Carter said Karl had told him the same day.

"Yeah, he said they pretty much want the same team back," Diawara said.

That includes Diawara.

"(Karl) said he wants me back on the team," Diawara said. "He likes my attitude and what I bring to the team."

Diawara and his agent, Bouna Ndiaye, received calls Tuesday from the Nuggets after neither had heard a word from them during the first week of free agency.

"It's a little surprising, but they said it took awhile," Diawara said. "There were some things on their mind, like the salary cap."

Diawara, who said he hasn't gotten any offers, said he has interest in returning but also wants to continue to look at other teams in the mix, which include Dallas, Memphis, Miami and San Antonio. Any Nuggets offer likely would be for the minimum of $797,581.

Meanwhile, there have been reports out of New Jersey the Nets might remain interested in trading for Nuggets center Marcus Camby, another Vandeweghe favorite. While the Nuggets earlier this offseason were known to have been willing to move Camby, that now would go against Karl's reported comments about wanting to bring back a similar team.

rj215
07-11-2008, 01:12 AM
najera and barnes with whatever $ we have left wouldn't be the worst thing in the world....

Blackjack
07-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Starters
1 Parker
2 Mason or Ginobili
3 Bowen
4 Duncan
5 Thomas/Oberto

Bench
1 Hill
2 Mason or Ginobili
2/3 Udoka
3 McGuire/D.Wright
4 Bonner/Najera
4/5 Mahinmi
5 Oberto

Free Agents
2/3 Finley
4 Horry
4/5 Thomas

Other Draft Picks
2/3 Hairston
3/4 Gist

I'd like to see Mcguire or Wright to give us some size and versatility defensively from the wing position. Mcguire might be able to be had for one of our exceptions and Bonner + Javtokas + ? might be enough to aquire Wright.

I'd sign the rookies (which would give us 14) see if Hairston could contribute as a back-up swing and send Gist to the Toros to develop.

That leaves us with one spot to either sign one of our vets, (Finley, Horry) or to sign a FA if a better option becomes available.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
If they got Najera then Bonner would be gone. Ideally they'd be able to pick up a swingman in the process. Hairston and Gist, if they make the team, will likely spend next season on IR and in Austin. Vaughn, who I left off, would probably stay on IR for most of the season.

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Here is how I see the regular season rotation working out at the moment:

C Mahinmi - 22
PF Duncan - 32
SF Bowen - 28
SG Ginobili - 26
PG Parker - 32

C Thomas - 20
PF Oberto or Bonner - 18
SF Udoka - 22
SG Mason - 22
PG Hill - 16

That'd be a pretty sweet ten man rotation. It didn't strike me until I wrote it out but Udoka might play a pretty big role for the Spurs next year. If Bowen starts to slow down, he'll be first in line to get those minutes. On top of that, he's the small ball power forward at the moment. He could potential average 26 to 28 minutes depending on what happens.

Then again, if Finley is brought back and put into the rotation, he'd eat up some of those small forward minutes ... most likely.

Blackjack
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
If they got Najera then Bonner would be gone. Ideally they'd be able to pick up a swingman in the process. Hairston and Gist, if they make the team, will likely spend next season on IR and in Austin. Vaughn, who I left off, would probably stay on IR for most of the season.

Yeah, I didn't catch your Vaughn omission.(How could I forget Vaughn???:lol)

If we got Wright it would probably cost us Bonner so that's why I put Bonner/Najera. If it were Mcguire we'd probably be stuck with Bonner and no Najera.

So my scenario would put us at 15 with Vaughn, but with no Najera we're back to 14. I'd like to have Najera but I'm more concerned with some size at the wing defensively.

McGuire could be a posey-type player defensively and Wright has some defensive versatility as well. With Bowen being our only defensive wing over 6'5", we could definitely use some insurance.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM

C Mahinmi - 22
PF Duncan - 32
SF Bowen - 28
SG Ginobili - 26
PG Parker - 32

C Thomas - 20
PF Oberto or Bonner - 18
SF Udoka - 22
SG Mason - 22
PG Hill - 16

That'd be a pretty sweet ten man rotation. It didn't strike me until I wrote it out but Udoka might play a pretty big role for the Spurs next year. If Bowen starts to slow down, he'll be first in line to get those minutes. On top of that, he's the small ball power forward at the moment. He could potential average 26 to 28 minutes depending on what happens.

Then again, if Finley is brought back and put into the rotation, he'd eat up some of those small forward minutes ... most likely.

That roster on paper is sooooooooooooo much better defensively than the one we fielded this year. I really enjoyed Udoka's play for the most part last season and I'm hoping he'll show a bit of improvement this year. I think the big question mark is Ian of course, but otherwise that roster looks really solid to me and it makes sense why Barry has not been signed. He really doesn't fit in on there. When we ran him and Beno off the bench with Manu it made a lot more sense to play someone like him, but I think the way it is setup now you're going to need guys who can hold the fort down defensively while the 2nd unit is in there.

All in all Spurs fans better excpect to see a LOT more games in the 80s and 70s again. And really - the thought of pissing off the leauge with our ugly ass defensive games again really really excites me.

Tully365
07-11-2008, 02:08 AM
I'd like to see Mcguire or Wright to give us some size and versatility defensively from the wing position. Mcguire might be able to be had for one of our exceptions and Bonner + Javtokas + ? might be enough to aquire Wright.

I'd sign the rookies (which would give us 14) see if Hairston could contribute as a back-up swing and send Gist to the Toros to develop.

That leaves us with one spot to either sign one of our vets, (Finley, Horry) or to sign a FA if a better option becomes available.

Who is McGuire?

timvp
07-11-2008, 02:12 AM
That roster on paper is sooooooooooooo much better defensively than the one we fielded this year. I really enjoyed Udoka's play for the most part last season and I'm hoping he'll show a bit of improvement this year. I think the big question mark is Ian of course, but otherwise that roster looks really solid to me and it makes sense why Barry has not been signed. He really doesn't fit in on there. When we ran him and Beno off the bench with Manu it made a lot more sense to play someone like him, but I think the way it is setup now you're going to need guys who can hold the fort down defensively while the 2nd unit is in there.

All in all Spurs fans better excpect to see a LOT more games in the 80s and 70s again. And really - the thought of pissing off the leauge with our ugly ass defensive games again really really excites me.Yeah the Spurs defense should be a lot better out on the perimeter. Finley and Barry can't play defense anymore. Vaughn is an overrated defender. Replacing those minutes with Udoka, Mason and Hill should improve the defense. And if Mahinmi can add a shotblocking element, the Spurs would really be in business.

Pop better not F it up by bringing back Finley and killing the perimeter defense another season.

Blackjack
07-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Who is McGuire?

Dominic McGuire of the Wizards.

Mr. Body
07-11-2008, 03:09 AM
That's a underwhelming roster. Past the big three it's a great deal of mediocrity and if we go anywhere it will likely all be on Ginobili's back once again. The rest are just not very good.

Streakyshooter08
07-11-2008, 04:45 AM
While I agree that the roster TimVP posted is not bad. I think it would not be good enough to win it all. Sure, this team is younger than last years but here are the things that I don't like.

The Spurs did not get a scorer and that is what they really lacked. Against the Lakers there were streches where they simply could not score. If one of the big 3 is hurt I don't see anybody who could fill in and help the team that much on offense. Defensively they could be better than last year.

I would have chosen Barry over Fin but who knows what is going on behind the doors. Barry at the end of the bench would have been a good thing.

I'll just wait and see what the next moves are. With the roster they have right now, I am not too excited...

kobyz
07-11-2008, 05:16 AM
Gist is a keeper he just need to bring is athleticism, hustle and defense.
Hairston need to be look at the SL and if he impress sign him if not bring back Finley for another year for the minimum.
Thomas need to be re sign but not for every price, give him at the most 4 milion per year for 2 years - he is not worth more than that.

PG-Parker/Hill/Vaughn
SG-Ginobili/Mason/Hairston
SF-Bowen/Udoka/Gist
PF-Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
C-Thomas/Oberto

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 05:52 AM
I Want to get J.R:toast

Spurs Brazil
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM

C Mahinmi - 22
PF Duncan - 32
SF Bowen - 28
SG Ginobili - 26
PG Parker - 32

C Thomas - 20
PF Oberto or Bonner - 18
SF Udoka - 22
SG Mason - 22
PG Hill - 16

This would be good.

Dou you see Ian starting? I think it could be a good idea

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
This would be good.

Dou you see Ian starting? I think it could be a good idea
I'm certain that Mahinmi has the skills to be the starter alongside Duncan, but I think he's in a "Manu" situation, as in he's better off coming off the bench. I'd love for Mahinmi to start, but unless we get another athletic big, he should come off the bench because a 2nd rotation of Thomas and Oberto is too slow, IMO.

rascal
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM

I agree. I dont expect Bonner to be with the team next year.

Big P
07-11-2008, 11:32 AM

All in all Spurs fans better excpect to see a LOT more games in the 80s and 70s again. And really - the thought of pissing off the leauge with our ugly ass defensive games again really really excites me.

We need scoring...not more defense.

rascal
07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
While I agree that the roster TimVP posted is not bad. I think it would not be good enough to win it all. Sure, this team is younger than last years but here are the things that I don't like.

The Spurs did not get a scorer and that is what they really lacked. Against the Lakers there were streches where they simply could not score. If one of the big 3 is hurt I don't see anybody who could fill in and help the team that much on offense. Defensively they could be better than last year.

I would have chosen Barry over Fin but who knows what is going on behind the doors. Barry at the end of the bench would have been a good thing.

I'll just wait and see what the next moves are. With the roster they have right now, I am not too excited...

Totally Agree. They did not add the badly needed reliable 4'th scoring option.
The team still lacks athleticism with still too few players able to create their own shots and/or run with Tony for fast break easy transistion points. Those are the points that are needed when perimeter shots don't fall to stop the long scoring droughts that kill big leads .

rascal
07-11-2008, 11:38 AM
We need scoring...not more defense.

Agree, defense isn't worth shit if you can't put the ball in the basket.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 11:54 AM
That's a underwhelming roster. Past the big three it's a great deal of mediocrity and if we go anywhere it will likely all be on Ginobili's back once again. The rest are just not very good.

:cry

What a bitch.