PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: New Spurs want to work hard, make the team

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-10-2008, 11:26 PM
New Spurs want to work hard, make the team

Web Posted: 07/10/2008 11:09 PM CDT

By Mike Monroe
Express-News

He was the 26th selection of the 2008 NBA draft, and something of a surprise first-rounder, at that. So, George Hill introduced himself to San Antonio on Thursday with a large share of humility and a clear vision of the important role he will be expected to play during his initial season in the NBA.

“If the veterans want me to carry their bags, or get doughnuts or McDonald's,” said the 6-foot-2 guard from Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), “I'm down with that.”

Soon enough, Hill will discover most of his teammates are so old they have moved from deep-fried pastries and giant burgers to healthy meals pre-packaged by the Spurs' strength and conditioning staff. You can bet, though, that the mid-30s bunch that still makes up the bulk of the Spurs' roster will appreciate Hill's sincere modesty.

Hill and second-round picks Malik Hairston and James Gist joined 13 other players, including Spurs forward-center Ian Mahinmi, at the team's practice facility to begin preparations for the NBA's Las Vegas Summer League. Though play begins in Las Vegas today, the Spurs' entry won't play the first of their four games there until late Monday night. The Spurs' summer team then will head to Salt Lake City for four games in the annual Rocky Mountain Revue.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich likes all three of his draftees so much that he insisted, on draft night, that Hill instantly would make the Spurs better at both ends of the court, and that both Hairston and Gist have what it takes to make the team's regular season roster.

For the next two weeks, Hill wants only to prove Popovich wasn't overstating his talents.

“It makes you want to work harder because he thinks that highly of you,” Hill said. “That's why I'm going to come in here and work my tail off to accomplish everything he wants me to accomplish, and listen and take criticism, whatever it is; fill the shoes he wants me to fill.”

Hill eventually will sign an NBA-specified rookie scale contract that will guarantee him at least $2.7 million over the next three seasons.

Hairston and Gist aren't guaranteed roster spots or specified contracts. They know they must prove they belong on the roster of a team that went to the Western Conference finals last season.

Both players on Thursday seemed moderately overwhelmed by their surroundings and circumstances.

“First off,” said Hairston, a 6-foot-6 swing man from Oregon the Spurs got by swapping second-round picks with Phoenix, “it's a blessing to be drafted in the first place. But to be with such a storied program, a great organization, is truly a blessing.”

Gist, a 6-foot-9 forward from Maryland taken with the second of the Spurs' slots in the second round, understands his defensive toughness is likely what attracted the Spurs' attention. His goal in Las Vegas is to prove he can defend and rebound in the NBA.

“I just want to prove that I belong here,” he said. “I'm going to go out and hustle and do whatever it takes to make this roster.”

Gist was excited about the news the Spurs had reached agreement to sign Wizards guard Roger Mason, Jr., a friend with whom he has played a lot of pickup ball in the D.C. area where both players grew up.

“He's like an older brother,” he said. “We've had a relationship for a long time.”

Hairston grew up in Detroit, idolizing the Pistons, but already has begun adapting to his new surroundings.

“Well, I'm from Detroit,” he said. “Especially in the past few years, the battles those two teams have had have been great. You got (the NBA title) one year, we got it another, or, I should say they got it another.”

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071108.1D.BKNspurs.draftees.4008d45.html

BruceBowenFan
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM
i like their mentalities

WildcardManu
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Starting off on the right foot.

ShoogarBear
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Man, where does Monroe come up with those snazzy headlines?

“Well, I'm from Detroit,” he said. “Especially in the past few years, the battles those two teams have had have been great. You got (the NBA title) one year, we got it another, or, I should say they got it another.”

Oops. :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:29 AM

New comrades want to work hard, make the borscht

Brutalis
07-11-2008, 12:35 AM
The way he words the title of this article made me think we signed our draft picks.

oligarchy
07-11-2008, 12:38 AM

Oops. :lol

I think he quoted it wrong, actually. I think he said, "We got it one year, you guy's got it another [referring to the Spurs] one year, or should I say, we got it another year."

ShoogarBear
07-11-2008, 12:39 AM
New comrades want to work hard, make the borscht

I guess it's better than the headline from 2004:

http://www.kzs-zveza.si/kzs/slike/udrih_beno.jpg

New Spur wants to make team, party hard

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Beno ended up with his miniskirt over his head in the '05 Finals and the '06 WCSF.

The Truth #6
07-11-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm curious how much better Mason is then Hairston. I wonder if the 2 guard spot is somewhat up for grabs while Manu (hopefully) rests at the beginning of the season.

DMX7
07-11-2008, 01:58 AM
lol @ male model Beno Udrih and his man purses.

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:15 AM
Beno ended up with his miniskirt over his head in the '05 Finals and the '06 WCSF.

:lol

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Jesus the EN sucks soooooooooooo bad since Ludden left.

Blackjack
07-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Fuck it!

The Spurs should just use the rest of the MLE to get Ludden back.

Texas_Ranger
07-11-2008, 03:56 AM
http://origin.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_pick_intro_080710.html

Here are the interviews.

Buddy Holly
07-11-2008, 05:08 AM
http://origin.nba.com/spurs/news/draft_pick_intro_080710.html

Here are the interviews.

Late much?

urunobili
07-11-2008, 05:55 AM
i likee! gr8 beggining for the three of them!

Samr
07-11-2008, 07:08 AM
You know, this offseason has been fairly disappointing thus far, but if we get a decent player or two out of this draft, I'd consider it a success. Most draft picks don't even make an impact, and that much gets less likely the further down you go. To have even one of our late first-rounders make the team would be great, and would mean the Spurs drafted a lot better than most. To have Hill actually make an impact would be tremendous.

I'm disappointed the Spurs didn't land a marquee free agent, but so are about a dozen other so teams. But, it sounds like the Spurs may be on the right track with at least three different guys. I am in no way upset about the offseason thus far.

wildbill2u
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Their comments are totally predictable and unremarkable. What are rookies who were drafted WAY down the list gonna say when they join a team that has won recent championships?

"Move out of the way, you losers, and let a REAL player through?"

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 11:36 AM
You'd be hard-pressed NOT to like the attitude of all three of these guys.

Despite the quiet offseason and because of the financial limitations, maybe Pop is seriously considering developing all three to see if they become part of the regular season roster. If 2 out of the 3 can contribute this season, that would be a success.

Nice to know that Mason and Hill already have a relationship.