PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Mountain News: Spurs "moved up" for Najera; Diawara

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:03 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/10/spurs-nets-both-line-land-nuggets-najera/

Najera meets with Nets, talks up Spurs
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
Originally published 09:26 p.m., July 10, 2008
Updated 10:13 p.m., July 10, 2008

Indications are the Nuggets want to bring back the great majority of their players from last season. They might want to act soon if Eduardo Najera is to be one.

Najera, a free-agent forward, was in Orlando, Fla., on Thursday, where New Jersey is playing in a summer league, to meet with Nets officials about a possible contract. Najera has a good relationship with Nets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe, who had the same title in Denver during Najera's first 11/2 Nuggets seasons.

Then there's San Antonio, where Najera attended high school. Najera said Thursday that "San Antonio has moved up" in the quest to land him.

Najera, whose preference has been to return to Denver, said in the late-afternoon interview he had yet to receive any offers.

Najera, who Wednesday showed strong interest in New Jersey, declined to elaborate on his dealings with the Nets.

But he spoke more freely about the Spurs.

"San Antonio, they're trying to work some things out in terms of years and all that," Najera said. "I'm open."

The Nets and Spurs present different challenges from a contract standpoint. The Nets can offer more out of the midlevel exception of $5,585,000, but they are reluctant to hand out much money past summer 2010 because of an expected run at likely free agent LeBron James.

The Spurs have less money available for next season. After agreeing to a two-year, $7.5 million deal with free agent Roger Mason Jr., they have about $2 million left in the midlevel exception as well as the $1.91 million biannual exception.

The Nuggets are deep into the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax. So they would pay double the money for a contract signed by Najera.

The Nuggets are continuing to look to bring back players from last season. Free-agent point guard Anthony Carter already has said he will return on a one- year, $1.26 million deal.

Free-agent guard Yakhouba Diawara said he spoke Tuesday with Nuggets coach George Karl. Diawara said Karl echoed what Carter said Karl had told him the same day.

"Yeah, he said they pretty much want the same team back," Diawara said.

That includes Diawara.

"(Karl) said he wants me back on the team," Diawara said. "He likes my attitude and what I bring to the team."

Diawara and his agent, Bouna Ndiaye, received calls Tuesday from the Nuggets after neither had heard a word from them during the first week of free agency.

"It's a little surprising, but they said it took awhile," Diawara said. "There were some things on their mind, like the salary cap."

Diawara, who said he hasn't gotten any offers, said he has interest in returning but also wants to continue to look at other teams in the mix, which include Dallas, Memphis, Miami and San Antonio. Any Nuggets offer likely would be for the minimum of $797,581.

Meanwhile, there have been reports out of New Jersey the Nets might remain interested in trading for Nuggets center Marcus Camby, another Vandeweghe favorite. While the Nuggets earlier this offseason were known to have been willing to move Camby, that now would go against Karl's reported comments about wanting to bring back a similar team.[/quote]

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Sounds like Najera is using the Spurs' interest simply to get a better deal out of the Nets.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Well - doesn't sound like there's much of a market for Eddie so far. I'd like the Spurs to pick him up but I don't see how they do it with how little they have less. If they do manage to get him that would be great and they'd get another good defender and a very good rebounder for his size.

DespЏrado
God is there a decent free agent that doesn't name drop the spurs as a bargaining chip for more money? Seriously go pick on the lakers or the Celtics fans. I'm sick of all of you Bullshitters.

John_C
Seems like many free agents out there like to trump up the Spurs name in order to increase their market value.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure how many years the Spurs put on a contract for Najera would matter that much. Using what's left of the MLE, they could offer him a 4 year, $9 mil contract with a player option after the 3rd season, at which time they'd have his full Bird Rights. Of course, he'd be 35 years old then. They could also offer a 3 year, $6.5 mil deal with a player option after the 2nd year. That would allow him to be a free agent in the summer of 2010 and also give the Spurs Early Bird Rights for him. It would seem that the best they could do is offer a wink and nod that they'd take care of him then.

Nets could offer him something like 2 years, $11.6 mil which wouldn't crimp their Summer of LeBron plans.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Seems like many free agents out there like to trump up the Spurs name in order to increase their market value.

That is a great problem to have

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Anyways, the window is closing on Najera's NBA career. I would be surprised to see him take the Spurs' offer. But signing him and moving Bonner wouldn't be bad, especially now that he can hit the 3.

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Yeah, Najera would be a good addition but the Spurs are going to get outbid. They simply don't have the money. On top of that, they likely won't offer him a long-term deal to try to make-up for that lack of money ... so basically Najera would have to sign with the Spurs for less. Don't see it happening.

Diawara is pretty much an unknown player but he's athletic and is a willing defender. Wouldn't mind him as an end of the bench minimum player. The thing I like most about Diawara is his agent. Bouna Ndiaye is a bad azz. He's the guy who got Mahinmi to hide out so the Spurs could draft him. He's also the guy who let the Spurs hide Batum's test results. I wouldn't mind the Spurs signing Diawara as just a tip of the cap to Ndiaye :lol

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
bleh! try and sign Diawara for the LLE; would be more than what Denver would probably pay him...

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
do the nets even need him? arent they just tanking to get picks and saving money..

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Sounds like Najera is using the Spurs' interest simply to get a better deal out of the Nets.

hmm.. thats a good point. if he could get a higher deal out of the nets i dont see why he wouldnt take it.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Spurs seem to be going for the blank slate with respect to 2010, though you would like to see them make an exception under certain circumstances. Najera is a hard nosed pain in the ass who will crash the boards, take hard fouls, and administer them. Having him and Thomas together would make me feel good about the frontcourt outside of Duncan for a change. If the Spurs did somehow manage to sign him, he'd be on a very cap friendly deal.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Has anyone even began to ponder the notion the Spurs might not get Kurt Thomas? We will be in a world of hurt if that happens. I know we have his Birds but how much do you think we are willing to spend?

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Has anyone even began to ponder the notion the Spurs might not get Kurt Thomas? We will be in a world of hurt if that happens. I know we have his Birds but how much do you think we are willing to spend?

What it will take to keep him. The Spurs dealt for him, he didn't disappoint, and he's been someone they've liked for a long while. Besides, Holt Cat just got a check for $3 mil+ from the NBA.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 01:34 AM

Missing out on Kurt Thomas would be an immense failure considering the way the off season has gone. You have to get this guy because you really leave yourself no options on anyone else out there with the money you have. With the Spurs not being in Luxury Tax danger they should do whatever it takes to reup Thomas and if they don't its just a huge failure.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Ya, but he is UFA, so it is his choice, I am getting a little nervous about the situation to be honest. This just seems like something is off...if Kurt really wanted "x" amount of dollars, the Spurs could of said ok and just signed him. Which means one of two things: he is serious about playing elsewhere in search of a ring or he asked for too much money and the Spurs are trying to negotiate. Either way, it makes me uneasy.

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Has anyone even began to ponder the notion the Spurs might not get Kurt Thomas? We will be in a world of hurt if that happens. I know we have his Birds but how much do you think we are willing to spend?Thomas would have to get one hell of an offer for the Spurs not to step up and match. Even if Thomas gets an outrageous three-year, $15M offer, the Spurs will probably counter with a two-year, $12M ... which should be enough.

The Spurs can't afford to let Thomas get away. Luckily, I haven't heard too many teams making a huge push for him.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:37 AM
What it will take to keep him. The Spurs dealt for him, he didn't disappoint, and he's been someone they've liked for a long while. Besides, Holt Cat just got a check for $3 mil+ from the NBA.

That does not help the cap situation in any way and he will not overpay (by a large amount if it comes to that). Plus, it is out of the Spurs hands, that is what makes me nervous.

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:37 AM
Ya, but he is UFA, so it is his choice, I am getting a little nervous about the situation to be honest. This just seems like something is off...if Kurt really wanted "x" amount of dollars, the Spurs could of said ok and just signed him. Which means one of two things: he is serious about playing elsewhere in search of a ring or he asked for too much money and the Spurs are trying to negotiate. Either way, it makes me uneasy.Day two of free agency just ended. Patience.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 01:38 AM
That does not help the cap situation in any way and he will not overpay (by a large amount if it comes to that). Plus, it is out of the Spurs hands, that is what makes me nervous.

Uh, it will help with actually writing the checks to pay him. The cap isn't that much of a concern right now.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:40 AM
What I meant was that 3 million does not officially mean you can offer more money. I know the cap is not a concern (to a certain degree) but it is still food for thought.

whottt
07-11-2008, 01:41 AM
You know...Najera might be getting to that age where he is starting to think ring...plus it could be in a town he likes.

I gotta think Najera is tired of playing for also-rans...also, he's a tough hard nosed player that always seems to wind up playing for pussy teams mostly, and he's probably tired of doing that...I don't think it's out of the question he might take less money(if it's not that much less).

He might be seeing what he could get...but if he can't get that much more I think it's entirely possible he might opt for the Spurs if they are interested.

DPG21920
Day two of free agency just ended. Patience.

I agree, I was just spit-balling...I was just going over in my head that if the Spurs know they need him, are willing to pay a large amount for him, then why do they not step up and make him an offer he can not refuse?

Marcus Bryant
This is the San Antonio Spurs. Cash matters.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:43 AM
ok

John_C
07-11-2008, 01:47 AM
You know...Najera might be getting to that age where he is starting to think ring...plus it could be in a town he likes.

I gotta think Najera is tired of playing for also-rans...also, he's a tough hard nosed player that always seems to wind up playing for pussy teams mostly, and he's probably tired of doing that...I don't think it's out of the question he might take less money(if it's not that much less).

He might be seeing what he could get...but if he can't get that much more I think it's entirely possible he might opt for the Spurs if they are interested.

Isn't this a bit like one of our contentions on why Maggette would sign with us even if he gets a better offer from another team? And we all know how it turned out :lol

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Spurs are about 11 million under the luxury tax or so...
Lets say Kurt cost 5 mil and we use the remaining 4 mil of our exceptions that leaves us with 2 million to go. Then we sign Hill and one more and we are done. That is cutting it close.

DMX7
07-11-2008, 01:49 AM

We can only hope.

John_C
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Do the contracts of players under the reserves roster also count against the salary cap?

Spurtacus
07-11-2008, 01:56 AM
I've hated Najera for a very long time. Would be fitting if he signed with the Spurs.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Isn't this a bit like one of our contentions on why Maggette would sign with us even if he gets a better offer from another team? And we all know how it turned out :lol

Apples and Oranges. Najera may give up maybe 2 million or so through the life of the contract while Magette would have had to have given up closer to 30.

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:03 AM

Pretty much.

Although, makes you wonder how much they just spent on Hayes.

The Truth #6
07-11-2008, 02:05 AM
I've made peace with us pursuing Najera. At one point he seemed like another Mark Madsen, but in now being able to hit the 3 at a surprising rate, who wouldn't rather have him then Bonner at this point, especially because Pop doesn't really want to play Bonner.

If we could trade Bonner and somehow get both Najera and KT I would feel good about having some sort of toughness down on the block.

John_C
07-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Apples and Oranges. Najera may give up maybe 2 million or so through the life of the contract while Magette would have had to have given up closer to 30.

Well, I guess the amount would be quite big, but I just couldn't put off my mind that Najera might actually not put winning above a better earn.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:07 AM
I don't give a shit about Najera without signing Kurt Thomas...until that deal is inked consider me apprehensive.

John_C
07-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Do the contracts of players under the reserves roster also count against the salary cap?

Can anyone answer this question?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Yes, such as Ian's did last year.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Well, I guess the amount would be quite big, but I just couldn't put off my mind that Najera might actually not put winning above a better earn.

All in all I epect Najera to sign elsewhere for more money. But the truth is that money will start to dry up soon, and I'm not in his head. He's obviously not having his door torn down with teams offering contracts so I think there's small hope of him coming here. In any case, it isn't nearly the paycut that a player of Magette's stature would have to take.

I'm a big fan of his hustle play. I think its something the Spurs have lacked since they traded Malik Rose. Jerome Kersey before him filed that same role. Its good to have a big man who comes in to mix it up and just play hard with the ability to make things happen on the court. Its what you saw Perkins/Powe do for the Celtics this year. Najera is what he is. There's really no room for growth at this stage in his career, but he's great on defense and his increased range is a nice plus. I think he's the kind of player that ever team in the NBA could use, which makes it weird someoen hasn't thrown the MLE at him.

In either case, I have my fingers crossed the Spurs bring him in but I do not believe its likely due to the cap room the Spurs have left.

timvp
07-11-2008, 02:23 AM
I know at least two of Najera's brothers live in San Antonio. I'm guessing the Spurs probably have some sort of an advantage if the money is close. But yeah, like Manny said, you have to think some NBA team will realize what he brings to the table and sign him up.

John_C
07-11-2008, 02:23 AM
Yes, such as Ian's did last year.

Tnx, because I was thinking of the seeming roster make up, and what you said about having 11M under salary cap.

you have 10 players already

Duncan/Oberto/Bonner/Mahinmi
Bowen/Udoka
Parker/Mason/Ginobili/Vaugh

You sign KT for 5M, then Hill for less than an M per year. Maybe sign one of our rookies in the reserves list. It seems we'll still have above 4M under the cap to spend for two more reserves to complete our roster.

Is it tenable for us to match a 7M offer for KT if he does get an offer like that elsewhere?

John_C
07-11-2008, 02:31 AM
All in all I epect Najera to sign elsewhere for more money. But the truth is that money will start to dry up soon, and I'm not in his head. He's obviously not having his door torn down with teams offering contracts so I think there's small hope of him coming here. In any case, it isn't nearly the paycut that a player of Magette's stature would have to take.

I'm a big fan of his hustle play. I think its something the Spurs have lacked since they traded Malik Rose. Jerome Kersey before him filed that same role. Its good to have a big man who comes in to mix it up and just play hard with the ability to make things happen on the court. Its what you saw Perkins/Powe do for the Celtics this year. Najera is what he is. There's really no room for growth at this stage in his career, but he's great on defense and his increased range is a nice plus. I think he's the kind of player that ever team in the NBA could use, which makes it weird someoen hasn't thrown the MLE at him.

In either case, I have my fingers crossed the Spurs bring him in but I do not believe its likely due to the cap room the Spurs have left.

Well Najera is someone you'd hate if he is in the opposing team, and love if he is in yours. He just plays rough and tough against anyone, even against your all star bigs. Yeah he reminds me also of Malik Rose and I don't think we've had someone like him in the past years since we traded Malik.

And I guess, seeing that his stature will always be of a dependable role and defensive player, and that his market value will not astronomically increase suddenly in the near future, it would be fool hardy also on his part not to take the best money out there.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Tnx, because I was thinking of the seeming roster make up, and what you said about having 11M under salary cap.

you have 10 players already

Duncan/Oberto/Bonner/Mahinmi
Bowen/Udoka
Parker/Mason/Ginobili/Vaugh

You sign KT for 5M, then Hill for less than an M per year. Maybe sign one of our rookies in the reserves list. It seems we'll still have above 4M under the cap to spend for two more reserves to complete our roster.

Is it tenable for us to match a 7M offer for KT if he does get an offer like that elsewhere?

That is where it could get tricky..As you said we have 10 players already, if you add Kurt and Hill that is 12, leaving us 3 spots and 4 million. All we have left if 2 exceptions worth about 2 million each. So that puts us right at the luxury tax line.

That scenario is assuming Kurt at 5 million (close to the full MLE which most teams have to offer). If Kurt gets a 6-7 million offer I do not know if the Spurs would match because that would almost guarantee we pay luxury tax. The thing I do not like about the situation is that he is an unrestricted free agent and does not even have to give the Spurs a chance to match. He did not get used in the Lakers series either, so he might be miffed. Do not know.

John_C
07-11-2008, 02:46 AM
That is where it could get tricky..As you said we have 10 players already, if you add Kurt and Hill that is 12, leaving us 3 spots and 4 million. All we have left if 2 exceptions worth about 2 million each. So that puts us right at the luxury tax line.

That scenario is assuming Kurt at 5 million (close to the full MLE which most teams have to offer). If Kurt gets a 6-7 million offer I do not know if the Spurs would match because that would almost guarantee we pay luxury tax. The thing I do not like about the situation is that he is an unrestricted free agent and does not even have to give the Spurs a chance to match. He did not get used in the Lakers series either, so he might be miffed. Do not know.

But if we could sign three reserves (presumably our two other rookies plus another one) and give them the minimum of less than an M, would that give us sufficient amount to match a 6 - 7M offer to KT?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:50 AM
But if we could sign three reserves (presumably our two other rookies plus another one) and give them the minimum of less than an M, would that give us sufficient amount to match a 6 - 7M offer to KT?

Yes, but are the Spurs 1) going to want 3 rookies on their roster and 2) is Kurt going to give them a chance to match? He does not have to...

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:51 AM
That scenario leaves us with no insurance in case Ian does not pan out. Our only bigs would be Kurt, Oberto, Ian and Bonner outside of Duncan.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 02:53 AM

He can't get that kind of an offer unless the Clips decide to offer him that much. They are the ONLY team with the cap room to do it. Well memphis does too i believe but that would not make the least bit of sense.

Worst case is a 3 year MLE type deal that the Spurs have to beat.

John_C
07-11-2008, 02:56 AM
That scenario leaves us with no insurance in case Ian does not pan out. Our only bigs would be Kurt, Oberto, Ian and Bonner outside of Duncan.

Well, I guess it would be a matter of other teams being able to outspend us again. And if we do lose KT, I guess adding Najera for some help would become a reasonable option.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:57 AM
He can get a ~6 million dollar deal from a lot of teams though (full MLE). Golden state still has plenty of money as well, although they need to sign some of their own FA's but I think they have Bird Rights on them.

The money is not the part that bothers me, it is the UFA part.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:59 AM
He can't get that kind of an offer unless the Clips decide to offer him that much. They are the ONLY team with the cap room to do it. Well memphis does too i believe but that would not make the least bit of sense.

Worst case is a 3 year MLE type deal that the Spurs have to beat.

If they have to beat an MLE offer, that puts them over 6 million a year on him, which would leave us 5 million under the tax line with 4 spots to fill.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Which is plenty. Those last spots will be minimum contracts.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Well, I guess it would be a matter of other teams being able to outspend us again. And if we do lose KT, I guess adding Najera for some help would become a reasonable option.

That would spell absolute disaster for the Spurs. Ian would be required to play an absurd amount of minutes and that would also mean that we would have to pick up someone like Kwame Brown as well, which I am not opposed to even if we sign Kurt.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:02 AM
:lol Brown is horrible. No way he is ever signed here.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:03 AM
Which is plenty. Those last spots will be minimum contracts.

By force they will, but that rules out the possibility of getting any insurance at the 4/5 position or any other FA available. I hope it comes to that though, because that means we have KT back.

Mr. Body
07-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Najera would make me feel mildly better about the offseason and direction this team is going. But why chuck so much money at Mason if you're expecting to want a Najera?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:04 AM
:lol Brown is horrible. No way he is ever signed here.

He can still defend, he is 7'0. He would be better than Bonner. He is just insurance, he is still a serviceable backup imo.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Truth be told, if we are talking about a player (Najera, Barnes...) he is probably not coming. We have not even been close on anything (draft, FA). I am just nervous that KT is a UFA, thats all.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:07 AM
By force they will, but that rules out the possibility of getting any insurance at the 4/5 position or any other FA available. I hope it comes to that though, because that means we have KT back.

I'm not sure what your point is, but the fact of the matter is that the Spurs are not in LT territory nor will they be regardless of what kind of an offer KT gets. Its just not a danger.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Najera would make me feel mildly better about the offseason and direction this team is going. But why chuck so much money at Mason if you're expecting to want a Najera?

Allow me to be captain obvious for a minute.

They wanted Mason more than they wanted Najera.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:09 AM
He can still defend, he is 7'0. He would be better than Bonner. He is just insurance, he is still a serviceable backup imo.

He's not a good defender. He's got size, thats for sure, but the Spurs don't need a randomly bad 7 footer. Brown won't be a Spur. Ever.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Truth be told, if we are talking about a player (Najera, Barnes...) he is probably not coming. We have not even been close on anything (draft, FA). I am just nervous that KT is a UFA, thats all.

Mason was talked about as a possible signing before he signed here.

Mr. Body
07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Allow me to be captain obvious for a minute.

They wanted Mason more than they wanted Najera.

Obviously. But the amount to Mason looks again like overpaying. He's better than Bonner but this is again a Bonner contract.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure what your point is, but the fact of the matter is that the Spurs are not in LT territory nor will they be regardless of what kind of an offer KT gets. Its just not a danger.

How can you say they are not in luxury tax territory? They are not in terrible danger but still...

If Kurt gets a sizable offer it will put the Spurs in a situation. If he even gives them a chance to match...

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:14 AM
Obviously. But the amount to Mason looks again like overpaying. He's better than Bonner but this is again a Bonner contract.

Its overpaying in a because its a 3 year deal amount with a 2 year length. But its not a massive overpay by any means. I know you're not a fan of Mason, but he's a better defender than Barry and put up better stats than him last year. I don't see an issue at all with the signing.

Bonner's contract is not a problem at all either. The only reason people get worked up about it is because of Scola.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:14 AM
How can you say they are not in luxury tax territory? They are not in terrible danger but still...

If Kurt gets a sizable offer it will put the Spurs in a situation. If he even gives them a chance to match...

Unless the Clippers give Kurt Thomas an offer for more than 7 million per the Spurs will not be in danger of the Luxury Tax. Its really simple.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:15 AM
My point was that if Kurt gets a nice full MLE offer and the Spurs do get to beat it, the last 4 roster spots will have to be the minimum. Which means they can not get any other free agent for the 2 exceptions they have because they can not offer enough and if they did use the full exceptions it puts us close to the luxury tax with one spot to fill...

I never said Kwame was a good defender, but he is 25, big and can defend a little, I would not be upset to see him. Especially if Tim and Pop could somehow help him..

timvp
07-11-2008, 03:16 AM
I am just nervous that KT is a UFA, thats all.Damn, bro, were you a Spurs fan back when Duncan was an unrestricted free agent? That was nerve wracking. I wouldn't lose sleep worrying that Thomas is going to leave. Maybe if there was one credible report of a team willing to give him a lot of money ... but not when two teams looking to save money (the Lakers and Heat) are linked to him.

If by some fluke Thomas isn't re-signed, the Spurs will probably ink Horry or an under the radar big and lean more on the other bigs already under contract. It wouldn't be fun to lose Thomas but if some team wants to give him a ridiculous contract, oh well, the Spurs will survive.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:18 AM
11 million under the tax as of now...
KT for 6 mil
If we use the two exceptions: 4 mil
2 spots left 1 million

Probably will not happen, but it is not a complete stretch or as simple as you make it out to be imo...

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:19 AM
It is because the Spurs aren't going to use both exceptions.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Damn, bro, were you a Spurs fan back when Duncan was an unrestricted free agent? That was nerve wracking. I wouldn't lose sleep worrying that Thomas is going to leave. Maybe if there was one credible report of a team willing to give him a lot of money ... but not when two teams looking to save money (the Lakers and Heat) are linked to him.

If by some fluke Thomas isn't re-signed, the Spurs will probably ink Horry or an under the radar big and lean more on the other bigs already under contract. It wouldn't be fun to lose Thomas but if some team wants to give him a ridiculous contract, oh well, the Spurs will survive.

This is not Duncan, but a major piece if we really want to contend. I do not know of any under the radar bigs and the thought of relying on Horry, Oberto, Ian and Bonner does not thrill me to death. The Spurs will survive if KT leaves, but their chances of really competing for a title become a little slimmer...You are telling me you are not at all concerned with the situation?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:22 AM
It is because the Spurs aren't going to use both exceptions.

I agree, but my point was that the reason why was being forced upon them.

timvp
07-11-2008, 03:23 AM
11 million under the tax as of now...
KT for 6 mil
If we use the two exceptions: 4 mil
2 spots left 1 million

Probably will not happen, but it is not a complete stretch or as simple as you make it out to be imo...
Counting Mason and Hill, the Spurs are ~$11.6M under the lux tax threshold. The Spurs are going to use either the rest of their MLE, their LLE or their trade exception -- each of which are about $1.9M. The rest will be minimum players. That leaves a lot of damn money to throw at Thomas.

The Spurs have room for one more notable player. After that it's going to be players for the minimum. And if the Spurs pick Finley to be that "notable player", he might take the minimum. So the Spurs would have even more money to spend.

Bruno
07-11-2008, 03:23 AM
Najera could really help Spurs. I don't think Spurs have enough money left to sign him. If Spurs get him, Bonner will be in the doghouse or traded.

Diawara isn't a very good or talented player but he is a hard worker. If Spurs sign him, it could means that they aren't sold on Udoka as Bruce Bowen "successor". In French newspaper, Dallas and SA are the two teams that are said to be interested in him.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:24 AM
DPG is simply new at this. :lol

timvp
07-11-2008, 03:26 AM
It is because the Spurs aren't going to use both exceptions.Exactly. The roster is deep enough as it is with player who will expect minutes. There's no room to keep adding non-minimum players to the roster. Thomas, Finley (or Finley replacement) and minimum contracts.

Offseason over.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:29 AM
DPG is simply new at this. :lol

You are acting like I am posting things that are completely implausible. My scenario could easily come into play just as yours. My whole issue was KT being a UFA. I said we are not in a real threat for the luxury tax, but it has to be watched in case KT gets a bigger than expected offer. Don't be a Manny

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Exactly. The roster is deep enough as it is with player who will expect minutes. There's no room to keep adding non-minimum players to the roster. Thomas, Finley (or Finley replacement) and minimum contracts.

Offseason over.

I am fine and comfortable with this, I understand. But in this scenario it assumes we have KT. My thoughts are what if KT is gone, we will only have 2 Exceptions to use in order to fill the gap.

MannyIsGod
07-11-2008, 03:37 AM
If KT is gone then they sure as hell aren't in LT territory. If KT is gone its bad, but if Duncan breaks his leg its bad too. No point in worrying about the unlikely.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Well I am a worrier, that is why I am up so late...was not worried about any other thing (the draft, FA signings that were not ours), the only thing was KT. I wonder if the Nets would be willing to trade some of their bigs. I would absolutely love to get Josh Boone.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:44 AM
I wonder if he could be had, we could use the trade exception on him, but I doubt they would take that...

urunobili
07-11-2008, 05:51 AM
LLE 4 Diaw ara

beirmeistr
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
If Najera were to sign for less money to come to San Antonio, he could probably make up the difference with endorsements due to his popularity with Mexican Americans along the border.

exstatic
07-11-2008, 07:31 AM

Who the F is going to offer Kurt Thomas that money? You'd have to have cap room to do that. You really need to start thinking in realistic terms. The MLE is ~ $5.8M. Start there and work downwards.

Supergirl
07-11-2008, 08:11 AM
Najera went to HS in SA? Is that right? I hadn't heard that. Where did he go?

BuzzerBeater
07-11-2008, 08:22 AM
YEP

Solid D
07-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Najera went to HS in SA? Is that right? I hadn't heard that. Where did he go?

He played a year at Cornerstone Christian Academy.

mrspurs
07-11-2008, 08:45 AM
najara can hustle....but he is the last player on our roster we need...if najara were just 3 or 4 inchs taller, teams would be all over this guy.....if fab had less brain and played like najara id like fab...in a fight, id take najara over fab in a knockout..but this is the nba not the ufc...so until now, we are stuck, with a smart (excuse my french (girlyman) and a short old 6'9 starter, standing next to timmy......i still dont like our bigs, and najara isnt big.....najara can keep on trucking in my book.....waste of space

Solid D
07-11-2008, 08:49 AM
The Spurs seem to be intent on having the "combination 4" as a part of their roster.

James Gist looks to be a possible option there because he demonstrated in college that he can defend opposing 3s and 4s. Diawara is less likely to defend 4s well and Najera less likely to defend 3s well (less so, than earlier in his career).

Spurs1234
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
najera, can hustle, this team is in desperate need of a hustle type player, plus najera has expanded his game alot in adding the three point shot, not sure about his midgame, but something the spurs need, not sure why some people are against this. People get all over Nocioni, i really dont think there is that big of a difference between the two, Noc is probably alittle bit more dynamic, but costs 50M to get, if Najera can be found on the cheap, thats a great thing. Hustle guys are hard to find.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Najera could really help Spurs. I don't think Spurs have enough money left to sign him. If Spurs get him, Bonner will be in the doghouse or traded.

Diawara isn't a very good or talented player but he is a hard worker. If Spurs sign him, it could means that they aren't sold on Udoka as Bruce Bowen "successor". In French newspaper, Dallas and SA are the two teams that are said to be interested in him.

Acquring a player like Najera is a priority. Someone to defend, rebound and spread the floor. Yet KT's resigining is even more of a priority.

Spurs Brazil
07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
If we can get Najera on a 2 year deal it would be nice

loveforthegame
07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Come on Najera. You'll have a better chance at a ring here than you would in NJ.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Come on Najera. You'll have a better chance at a ring here than you would in NJ.

I read that Najera's got a fierce loyalty to Nets GM, Kiki Vandeweghe, who was responsible for drafting him in the first place. However I'm sure he'd like to come home and play in front of the home folks.

I just wish he'd make up his damn mind.

FromWayDowntown
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I like the idea of Najera as an addition to this roster -- agree on the Malik Rose analogy (though Najera of today isn't nearly what Malik Rose was in 2002 or 2003) and think it gives the Spurs still another Bowen-type who can play while never backing down from anyone. I also think that whottt might be on to something with the notion that Najera is getting to that point where thinking ring might make sense. The Maggette comparison on that point is, as Manny and others have noted, inapt; but Najera has at least been close enough to big things in the past (2003) to think he might want a shot to get to the top of the mountain at least once. He would certainly give the Spurs another, nice tenacious presence on the bench -- he'd fit well, I think, with a group that would include notable redasses like Ginobili, Udoka, and perhaps KT.

I'm also not sold that the Spurs are hellbent on avoiding the tax. They spent a good chunk of last season doing that, but they've also shown, in the past, a willingness to go over if it can be beneficial. They were marginally over the threshold in 2006-07, after all. Obviously, they'll skirt that line as closely as possible and try to stay on the good side of it, but if teams like the Knicks and Mavericks find ways to shed salary in the short term, it may be less disadvantageous to be on the wrong side of the line.

oligarchy
07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
I'm also not sold that the Spurs are hellbent on avoiding the tax. They spent a good chunk of last season doing that, but they've also shown, in the past, a willingness to go over if it can be beneficial. They were marginally over the threshold in 2006-07, after all. Obviously, they'll skirt that line as closely as possible and try to stay on the good side of it, but if teams like the Knicks and Mavericks find ways to shed salary in the short term, it may be less disadvantageous to be on the wrong side of the line.

They did already receive a payout from the luxury tax pool that could be used to pay a limited amount over the line, where it wouldn't really cost them a dollar for dollar, if they are spending someone else's money.

Big P
07-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Unless we trade Bonner, I cant see Najera coming to SA..that said he's a HACK & I'd rather him not play for the Spurs.

Spurs4lyf
07-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Net officials met with Hayes and Eduardo Najera yesterday in Orlando. Thorn called them “exploratory-type” meetings.

“Everybody’s evaluating where they are,” he said.

When asked if he thought either or both of them could be a Net by later today, Thorn said, “One of them” could and that “more than likely” it would be Hayes.

“We’ll see,” Thorn said. “Both sides are evaluating.”

Link: http://njmg.typepad.com/zzone/2008/07/hayes-on-horizo.html

- Maybe the Nets are done trying to get Najera now that Hayes is on board.

hater
07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
give up Bonner and get Najera, that would be awesome

stxspurs
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
im sick of spurs only able to get scrub players in FA mkt.......bummer offseason......nobody wants to play in san antonio

K-State Spur
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Outside of those 3 or 4 days where it looked like we had a real shot at Maggette, I was hoping for a Mason + Najera offseason.

Add those 2, and this team has a decent upgrade from last year, no matter what the chicken littles who accuse this team of regressing will say.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Outside of those 3 or 4 days where it looked like we had a real shot at Maggette, I was hoping for a Mason + Najera offseason.

Add those 2, and this team has a decent upgrade from last year, no matter what the chicken littles who accuse this team of regressing will say.

Here Here! :toast

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Not sure why najera would even consider Jersey or visa versa...they are loaded up front....unless he gets big money for two years I think the spurs and nuggets will be his options.....maybe G State slides in to make an offer you never know with mullins has in his head.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
The way the spurs are working they have basically to LLE left and are just waiting till everyone runs out ot MLE money then will offer role players a 2 yr deal worth more than vets min and a chance to win a ring.......not a bad plan we will see how it all shakes out......If we cant get anyone else we will sign our second rounders and keep them on the bench......But I see a trade or 1 more signing in our future...

stxspurs
07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
dont like najara...like someone else said...i just dont know why. hope mason blows up and really contributes.....if ian isnt ready iguess nareja would be a good pick up.
hopefully KT resigns

Solid D
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
im sick of spurs only able to get scrub players in FA mkt.......bummer offseason......nobody wants to play in san antonio

That's so premature and emo, stxspurs. With regard to the top-tier FAs, these jobs are mostly about the money when there is a large delta in offers and when the players are in their "prime".

Most people might look up the list of "Most Admired Companies" http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/mostadmired/2008/index.html and see Apple or America's "Best Companies To Work For" http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2008/ and see Google but I'll guarantee you that if the money was right (i.e. 1.5x or greater after taxes and COL adjustments) offered by #100 or even #1000, the majority of people in this country would take the extra pay and see how things work out.

1Parker1
07-11-2008, 01:31 PM
^:lol Actually, I'd take less $$ and work for google...you can wear your pajamas to work, they have an on site massage therapist, free food, and a dozen other perks and working enviroment that not many people can compare to.

Of course, for us mere mortals it'd be a difference of a couple thousand dollars in pay...for athletes it's a couple million. Slight difference. :lol

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
no point now he has agreed with Jersey for 4 yrs

Solid D
07-11-2008, 01:35 PM
no point now he has agreed with Jersey for 4 yrs

Hmmm, or at least supporting the point.

stxspurs
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
did he just say i was emo?

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
We will just wait and be bottome feeders again........I have no Idea with manu 31 and Duncan 32 why are we not spending to win now.....Adding a FA in 2010 if we can get them will cost us Manu and Duncan will be 34 well in decline......makes not sence to me unless you get Dwade and Bosh.......

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:48 PM
They did already receive a payout from the luxury tax pool that could be used to pay a limited amount over the line, where it wouldn't really cost them a dollar for dollar, if they are spending someone else's money.

Well then that means they would forfeit their share of pool money next year as well... So say they went over by 1 million, it would cost them 1 million in tax + 3 million (this years dispersement) totaling 4 million. That is pretty costly...

Solid D
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
did he just say i was emo?

Yeah, what you said was premature and emo, stxspurs. The offseason isn't even half over. Off-season doesn't always = FA market but even if it did equate to just free agents, let it play out. The vacation isn't over just because the video rental store was all out of our favorite dvds to watch in the car.

stxspurs
07-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, what you said was premature and emo, stxspurs. The offseason isn't even half over. Off-season doesn't always = FA market but even if it did equate to just free agents, let it play out. The vacation isn't over just because the video rental store was all out of our favorite dvds to watch in the car.

<<<<nervous spur fan
point taken.......thx for talking me off the cliff....

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
<<<<nervous spur fan

The offseasons where the Spurs get exactly the players they want tend to be the worst ones. I don't think we've ever won a championship after getting big name first choice signings.

Last time it happened we got NVE and Finley....turned out poorly.

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Offer Diawara and Thomas the LLE kind of money we have left... so each would get about 2 mil... and that should do it.

T Park
07-11-2008, 03:01 PM
We will just wait and be bottome feeders again........I have no Idea with manu 31 and Duncan 32 why are we not spending to win now.....Adding a FA in 2010 if we can get them will cost us Manu and Duncan will be 34 well in decline......makes not sence to me unless you get Dwade and Bosh.......

Spend what?

THEY CANT MATCH 4 and 5 million dollar contracts

Christ people.

T Park
07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
The offseasons where the Spurs get exactly the players they want tend to be the worst ones. I don't think we've ever won a championship after getting big name first choice signings.

Last time it happened we got NVE and Finley....turned out poorly.

Didn't happen last summer either

Solid D
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
<<<<nervous spur fan

:tu

spurman20
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Spend what?

THEY CANT MATCH 4 and 5 million dollar contracts

Christ people.

What is was saying is the spurs are not spending on draft picks they instead ship them away to save money....Then trade offers that have come about like the on for Lamar O they refused for money reasons.....they let Turk go to Orlando for nothing instead of signing Him to the MLE.....Steve Jackson we let go..........Do you think Barbosa, Jackson, Turk, heck even John Salmons could have helped and would help this year???? If they had spent we wouldnt even be sitting here stressed over a fourth scorer.....The could have offered the MLE to Smith from Denver which likely would not have been matched.......A few years ago we could have had ron artest but instead made a trade for STEVE SMITH.......because we didnt wanna pay Ron.....

ceperez
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
What is was saying is the spurs are not spending on draft picks they instead ship them away to save money....Then trade offers that have come about like the on for Lamar O they refused for money reasons.....they let Turk go to Orlando for nothing instead of signing Him to the MLE.....Steve Jackson we let go..........Do you think Barbosa, Jackson, Turk, heck even John Salmons could have helped and would help this year???? If they had spent we wouldnt even be sitting here stressed over a fourth scorer.....The could have offered the MLE to Smith from Denver which likely would not have been matched.......A few years ago we could have had ron artest but instead made a trade for STEVE SMITH.......because we didnt wanna pay Ron.....

Agree entirely. If we kept Steven Jackson or Hedo Turkulu we wouldn't be in a bind now. Heck, we may have won at least another championship in the process. We could have made it if we signed Scola instead of signing Bonner. It's the same kind of money and for the life of me, I can't figure out why we have him. If we aren't going to play him, then why are we having him take up cap space?!

SpursChampsIII
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=DPG21920;2657414]
The thing I do not like about the situation is that he is an unrestricted free agent and does not even have to give the Spurs a chance to match. [QUOTE]

I guess I'm getting a little confused. I thought the Spurs have Bird rights to Thomas?

clubalien
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Missing out on Kurt Thomas would be an immense failure considering the way the off season has gone. You have to get this guy because you really leave yourself no options on anyone else out there with the money you have. With the Spurs not being in Luxury Tax danger they should do whatever it takes to reup Thomas and if they don't its just a huge failure.

splitter or KT you decide i don't we get both

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 04:18 PM
They do have his Bird Rights, but all that means is that he counts against the Spurs cap right now and that they in theory could offer him more than any other team. He is a UFA though, and does not have to give them a chance to match.