PDA

View Full Version : Fanball news on Toronto (Spurs still talking)

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
According to a report in the Toronto Star, at least one team has backed out of trade talks involving Raptors' forward Donyell Marshall, and other possible trade partners are growing weary of general manager Rob Babcock's demands. The 76ers, who heave been interested in Marshall since last summer, have had talks with Babcock but have now backed out after Babcock demanded that promising rookie Andre Iguodala be included in the package, terming that demand "ridiculous." "[Babcock] wants the sun and moon, everything else, too," said the Star, quoting a "league source." The Heat, Spurs, Rockets, and Knicks remain interested, although the Heat are believed to be souring on Babcock's demands as well.

OUR VIEW

The Raps have no chance of keeping Marshall beyond this year, as the free agent is not happy with his lack of playing time for one of the worst teams in the league. We'd be surprised if Marshall wasn't dealt before the February 24 trading deadline, since the Raptors would be foolish not to get something while they can for the versatile and highly sought-after forward.

Sounds like it could be down to Houston - SA - NY for Marshall's services.

Tom_Foolery
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I would rather get nothing than to acquire Rose's contract for the effort he's displayed.

Atleast they could invest for the future.

ducks
02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
knicks have bad contracts
rose is a good contract compared to the knicks

exstatic
02-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Isaiah will give them something stupid. Word has it that anyone that wants Marshall has to take Jalen as well. No sense in getting rid of one Rose for another Rose who is far more overpaid than our current one.

picnroll
02-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Babcock demanded that promising rookie Andre Iguodala be included in the package
Wow. That's nuts. They probably want Manu + TP for Marshall.

office handle
02-03-2005, 04:05 PM
hopefully the spurs dont focus so much on dropping roses contract that they talk themselves into giving up more than a pick to move him.

roses contract is the average salary for a nba player for 3 or 4 (still not clear if there is a team option after the 3rd remaining year) more seasons. in the grand scheme of things that is not as horrible as spurs fans seem to think it is. its not an albatross hanging around the spurs neck. cap wise it means very little given the other long term salary commitments the spurs have made. frankly as a fan i think it sucks that they would drag a player through all this bullshit for what is not exactly a horrible contract given what other bigs got last summer.

from a basketball standpoint i think rose is still valuable to this team given his size and flexibility. but there is something to be said just for ending the current situation of him being on the trade block constantly and the love-hate thing with him and pop.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-03-2005, 04:10 PM
Babcock's asking for the moon it sounds like, the reality is he will have to settle for much less.

So I guess it comes down to whose going to offer him the best combination of scraps and draft picks.

pic - I was thinking the same thing, that dumbass probably asked for one of them along with Rose.

I wonder if he asked about sending us Rafer and Marshall for Tim and Tony :lol

If it's us vs. Houston vs. NY, I like our chances. Everyone on the Knicks has a worse contract than Rose, and outside of Sura, Tmac, and Yao Houston doesn't have much to offer.

exstatic
02-03-2005, 04:13 PM
It all depends on if the LuxTax stays or goes. If they want to pay Scola next summer, then the logical contract to get rid of is Malik's. Paying Scola and Malik makes little sense. I don't know if they can pull something off this season, but maybe the Clips, who are ALWAYS looking for salary ballast as players jump ship, could be talked into taking a pick or picks and cash for Malik.

office handle
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
well they could try to get by with scola as the 1st big off the bench with vet minimum bigs to fill out the rest of the rotation. but thats assuming he can cut it.

a rose/scola tandem makes sense if scola ends up being more of a high energy finesse big in the nba, which is what i suspect he will be. scola as a replacement for horry seems ideal to me.

picnroll
02-03-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking that Toronto may be asking for Beno given their current problems with Alston. Maybe packaging a headache of Alston and Marshall for a headache of Malik and Beno. Who knows.

office handle
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
since malik is such a horrible player, teammate, and person and his contract is such that it is preventing the spurs from...well, generating more cash for pistol pete holt and friends, i say give up beno. you have barry to back up tony and devin to take up the slack.

ducks
02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
office handle=mb incase anyone did not know

office handle
02-03-2005, 04:26 PM
that;s corect i is

CHAMPS AGAIN
02-03-2005, 04:50 PM
since malik is such a horrible player, teammate, and person and his contract is such that it is preventing the spurs from...well, generating more cash for pistol pete holt and friends, i say give up beno. you have barry to back up tony and devin to take up the slack.

Did I miss something where did you hear(LINK) MALIK is such a horrible player,teammate and person and than you want to give up BENO in a trade.Are you anti-spur,a regular to this forum,but decided to open new account or just change screen name.To cover up who you really are. :smokin

office handle
02-03-2005, 04:58 PM
i was being sarcastic in regards to some of the hyperbole thrown around in this forum about malik and his contract.

yes i am hiding who i am because if it was found out who i really am then i would have forum cooties. and i would have to give them to ducks.

mysterious_elf26
02-03-2005, 05:11 PM
It's going to be tough to make a deal happen because whoever is interested in Marshall, Jalen Rose must also most likely have to be part of the deal because Toronto is trying to get rid of both all at once. How would SA make this happen?

GoSpurs21
02-03-2005, 06:04 PM
malik, marks, johnson III, sato and wilks should be the only players the Spurs are offering.