PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 coaches in NBA after 50years needs updating to top 12, please add 2

Lakers_55
07-11-2008, 07:55 AM
http://www.nba.com/history/top_10_coaches.html

I have a thread already on updating the top 50 players to top 62 players. The formula for top 10 coaches seems to call for a new one every 5 years. So the NBA needs to add two more. Don Nelson is on the list, so fight it out between these three:

Greg Popovich
Jerry Sloan
Larry Brown

Anyone else worthy of consideration?

z0sa
07-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Greg Popovich
Jerry Sloan
Larry Brown

Out of those three, its nolo contendre.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree. Sorry, Pop.

Girasuck
07-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Pop and Sloan should already be on that list. The fact that Bill Fitch and Don Nelson are on the list instead of Sloan and Pop is a joke. I'd put Pop and Sloan on the list before Lenny Wilkens also.

Lakers_55
07-13-2008, 03:40 PM
Pop and Sloan should already be on that list. The fact that Bill Fitch and Don Nelson are on the list instead of Sloan and Pop is a joke. I'd put Pop and Sloan on the list before Lenny Wilkens also.

I agree in principal with what you say. The list from 1996 however, never was updated as it should have been. So, add Popvich and Sloan now, then Brown in 2011. I just wonder if I missed a great coach or not worthy of consideration.....

jacobdrj
07-13-2008, 03:54 PM
As far as NBA coaches go, I wouldn't put Jerry Slone in. And I have a hard time putting LB in, although he has made it into the Finals 3 times. If LB/Slone gets in, why not Nelly and Adleman?

I don't like ANY of those coaches.

z0sa
07-13-2008, 09:34 PM
I agree. Sorry, Pop.

:lmao

You do remember Pop coaching the spurs to a championship OVER LB's pistons, right?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Sloan

DaDakota
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Pop and Sloan.

Larry Brown is the most overated coach on the planet.

DD

Obstructed_View
07-14-2008, 04:00 AM

You do remember Pop coaching the spurs to a championship OVER LB's pistons, right?

You do remember Larry Brown taking the Clippers to the playoffs, right? Pop and Duncan are like Mark Twain and Halley's Comet. Don't fool yourself into thinking any competent basketball coach wasn't going to win a few titles with this talent. I can think of at least two that Pop left on the table by being outcoached, one of those times by a guy who can't find a job as a head coach right now.

MajorMike
07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Pop and Duncan are like Mark Twain and Halley's Comet. Don't fool yourself into thinking any competent basketball coach wasn't going to win a few titles with this talent.

Yeah, all you idiots. Any stupid coach would have already won a couple championships with Duncan and a bunch of scrubs, just like Flip did with KG or (insert Knicks coach here) did with Ewing or Sloan did with Malone/Stockton.

Sheesh any dumbass could win with one of those guys, right?

z0sa
07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
You do remember Larry Brown taking the Clippers to the playoffs, right? Pop and Duncan are like Mark Twain and Halley's Comet.

Who's to say when Pop will truly put down the coaching reins? He has specified he will leave when Tim does, but there's no way to be sure of that. Even if he did for a season or two, I could see him coming back to coach a contender who had the pieces to play great defense.

Oh, and I also recall Mike Dunleavy taking the clippers to the playoffs.

Don't fool yourself into thinking any competent basketball coach wasn't going to win a few titles with this talent. I can think of at least two that Pop left on the table by being outcoached, one of those times by a guy who can't find a job as a head coach right now.

If we win that DAL series in 06, Pop is the genius who used small-ball to beat the mavericks at their own game. Since we lost, it continues to be the biggest mark on his career, at least according to Spurfan.

And I honestly :lmao at the idea of any competent coach even keeping his job on this team for as long as Pop has. Pop brings a hard-nosed winner and possibly the best defensive coach in NBA history to the table. Pop's system works year after year, while LB continues his search for a permanent home. Sloan waits to grab his first title.

Pop is one of the two, nolo contendre.

The Franchise
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
There is no need to add 2. If a better coach comes along someone gets bumped out. Problem solved.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
And I honestly :lmao at the idea of any competent coach even keeping his job on this team for as long as Pop has.

Yeah, but that's because Pop's in good with the GM who hired him.

z0sa
07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah, but that's because Pop's in good with the GM who hired him.

Yeah, tell that to Bob Hill, who Popovich (acting as Spurs' GM) fired midseason of '97 after Hill put up two seasons and 122 won games, including a trip to the Conference Finals.

Just because you're "in good" with the GM means shit. Popovich has had the staying power of a Sloan, with three more championships than LB. "Despite" Tim's talent, this guy has got it done and his impact has been obvious.

You ready to give up on this one?

nashzilla
07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.nba.com/history/top_10_coaches.html

I have a thread already on updating the top 50 players to top 62 players. The formula for top 10 coaches seems to call for a new one every 5 years. So the NBA needs to add two more. Don Nelson is on the list, so fight it out between these three:

Greg Popovich
Jerry Sloan
Larry Brown

Anyone else worthy of consideration?

Cotton Fitzsimmons

Anti.Hero
07-15-2008, 06:39 PM
You do remember Larry Brown taking the Clippers to the playoffs, right? Pop and Duncan are like Mark Twain and Halley's Comet. Don't fool yourself into thinking any competent basketball coach wasn't going to win a few titles with this talent. I can think of at least two that Pop left on the table by being outcoached, one of those times by a guy who can't find a job as a head coach right now.

Pop is the ONLY one who could set up THE SYSTEM to keep this team champions for an entire decade. Some of it is Duncan, but think of the prick Parker would probably be if it weren't for the tough love.

I agree that Pop sucks at adjustments though. He is too fucking stubborn.