PDA

View Full Version : Prep Star Finds A Way To Skirt NBA Rule

Demo Dick Marcinko
07-11-2008, 09:04 AM
What may happen is that lottery picks may start ending up in Europe and then they get enticed financially to continue to play there. Interesting developments. Let's see how or if the NBA counters.

Prep player finds way to skirt NBA rules
Top high school point guard will play in Europe for a year.

By Pete Thamel
THE NEW YORK TIMES
Friday, July 11, 2008

AKRON, Ohio — Brandon Jennings is considered the best point guard prospect of the high school class of 2008. His ball-handling and ability to lead the fast break make him a tantalizing prospect.

But Jennings will be best known as a trendsetter.

Jennings, who had committed to the University of Arizona, decided he will play in Europe next season. That announcement could cause a ripple effect for other high school players considering jumping overseas to play.

Professional teams in Italy are among European clubs that have expressed interest in Jennings, who would most likely get a minimum of $300,000, including salary and endorsements.

"If it turns out to be successful, there would be more going," Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said. "It will not just be your eyes as a reporter and my eyes as a coach watching. It will be all the eyes of basketball, particularly the eyes of young people saying, 'Is that a great way to get experience?' ''

It's also a way for players to beat the NBA's ultimatum that they go to college for at least one year. Until 2005, players could jump directly from high school to the NBA, a path closed when the NBA instituted an age minimum.

Jennings, a 6-foot-2-inch Los Angeles native, hadn't yet academically qualified for college. He was awaiting the results of a third college entrance exam but decided this week to give up his scholarship.

Jennings heard former sneaker executive Sonny Vaccaro talk about Europe as an option on a radio show, and he and his mother have consulted Vaccaro about it.

"Basically, you're not looking so much for money," said Kelly Williams, Jennings' adviser and the father of Nets point guard Marcus Williams. "You're looking for the kid developing and going to the NBA in the next draft."

Rest assured other players are watching Jennings.

One of the top players in the class of 2009 is the 6-5 Lance Stephenson, who has led Brooklyn's Lincoln High to three consecutive New York City championships. Stephenson has a conventional list of colleges — Texas, UCLA, Southern California, Memphis, and St. John's — where he is expected to only spend one season before heading to the NBA. But Stephenson's father, Lance Sr., said the family will be following Jennings' decision closely.

"For me and my wife, we just get the information and talk to Lance and let him make the decision on that," he said.

DeMar DeRozan, a USC signee, is considered the best scorer in the incoming freshman class. DeRozan, a 6-6 forward, is expected to fill much of the scoring void left by O.J. Mayo, who left after a year and was the No. 3 pick in the draft.

The problem is DeRozan has not qualified academically to play at USC. While DeRozan said he was solely focused on playing college basketball, it was plausible that Europe could become an option.

"It put thoughts in a lot of players' heads when they see Brandon going over there and doing something like that," DeRozan said.

College coaches are generally against the idea of high school players playing in Europe for money. Memphis coach John Calipari cited the language barrier, playing against physically dominant competition and the cultural adjustment for a teenager.

"I don't know if I'd want to be the first one, because your career is on the line," Calipari said. "And here you are getting coached by a guy who doesn't speak your language."

Not every kid is thinking about heading out. DeMarcus Cousins, a 6-9 forward, said he was not wavering from his commitment to Alabama-Birmingham.

Why not Europe?

He smiled and said, "My mom would never allow it."
Buzz up!

endrity
07-11-2008, 11:20 AM
This day has come a lot sooner than a lot predicted, but to me and I think to most people in here it is not a surprise. If the NBA puts a 2year restriction on entering the league, as they thought of doing, they will be giving a lot of good business to the Euroleague.

It will also facilitate the evaluation of young European players as now they will be going head to head against future NBA pros. It will eleminate the chance of Tskitishvillis and Lampes ever being picked again.

I also diasgree about the coaching. If the language barrier is surpassed, and most Euro teams will have more than one or two translators helping them out, I personally believe that the level of coaching in Europe is much higher than NCAA. In a way it could prepare them better as players.

It would also be a great growing up experience for players I think too, being forced to adapt to a new life and new society at 18 can be a wonder for the maturity of a person.

z0sa
07-11-2008, 11:52 AM
This day has come a lot sooner than a lot predicted, but to me and I think to most people in here it is not a surprise. If the NBA puts a 2year restriction on entering the league, as they thought of doing, they will be giving a lot of good business to the Euroleague.

It will also facilitate the evaluation of young European players as now they will be going head to head against future NBA pros. It will eleminate the chance of Tskitishvillis and Lampes ever being picked again.

I also diasgree about the coaching. If the language barrier is surpassed, and most Euro teams will have more than one or two translators helping them out, I personally believe that the level of coaching in Europe is much higher than NCAA. In a way it could prepare them better as players.

It would also be a great growing up experience for players I think too, being forced to adapt to a new life and new society at 18 can be a wonder for the maturity of a person.

:tu

Pretty much my whole thought process tree on the entire issue.

This would be a far more intense growing experience than college, really.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
It makes sense for the players who are going to leave their first year of college. No point in going to college if you're going to drop out after the first year.

z0sa
07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
LakaLuva, your sig gets my blood boiling. I guess that's its intention?

baseline bum
07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Good for him. I would do the same if I had NBA talent @ 18. Fuck being exploited by a college. Nice that he's old enough to die for his country, but supposedly not mature enough to get paid for playing basketball.

diego
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
This day has come a lot sooner than a lot predicted, but to me and I think to most people in here it is not a surprise.

yep, and i agree on most points. european teams have much tighter training schedules, they run their youth teams like boarding schools. a much more structured, demanding environment for young players.

i think the big question is what kind of teams will gamble on raw players that are looking to leave soon. if only smaller teams do so than this phenomenon will likely end quickly.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
The NBA players union just saw the results of that rule. The European teams are going to get first crack at some of the most exciting young players without even having to outbid for them like the ABA did.

It serves the colleges right; they've been exploiting the fuck out of those kids for years and it's reprehensible.

endrity
07-11-2008, 01:34 PM
yep, and i agree on most points. european teams have much tighter training schedules, they run their youth teams like boarding schools. a much more structured, demanding environment for young players.

i think the big question is what kind of teams will gamble on raw players that are looking to leave soon. if only smaller teams do so than this phenomenon will likely end quickly.

That is definetely the big question regarding European teams.

They bring their young players through their youth teams in the club, with the goal of one day having them as players for their senior team. How much time do they spend on a young player, especially one that is maybe a bit immature? If they want this kind of process to continue in the future, they better organize this thing right.

And I agree about the NCAA getting what they deserve. The whole concept of "student athlete" is ridicolous on so many levels, for the kids and schools as well.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2008, 01:42 PM
It's worth the financial risk. Who wouldn't be willing to throw ten million dollars at the next Lebron James or Shaq that emerges from school? The rookie pay scale is about to be turned on its fuckin' ear and the age limit is going to be rescinded. The colleges are just going to have to suck it.

baseline bum
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
It's worth the financial risk. Who wouldn't be willing to throw ten million dollars at the next Lebron James or Shaq that emerges from school? The rookie pay scale is about to be turned on its fuckin' ear and the age limit is going to be rescinded. The colleges are just going to have to suck it.

I can't believe it's taken this long for a prospect to say 'Fuck Stern and the NCAA'.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2008, 10:04 PM
I can't believe it's taken this long for a prospect to say 'Fuck Stern and the NCAA'.

I've been waiting for someone to figure this out for a couple of years, and the Splitter situation just magnified it.

PacerFan
07-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Screw the NCAA. This is good to see as the age limit is a dumb rule to begin with. I hope to see this more often.

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 12:39 AM
And if he fails in Europe, then others will see and not follow. I can only hope he sucks overseas.

sprrs
07-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I wonder how many of these players will stay in Europe after the first year for a fatter paycheck, and how many will jump back to the NBA now that they'd be eligible?

The difference between European players and American players is that American dream of playing in the NBA. I imagine that while some will stay and opt for more money, most will head back to the NBA and give it a shot. That's not very beneficial for the Euro teams, to only have a player for one year, when they're developing no less. I guess time will tell.

endrity
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I wonder how many of these players will stay in Europe after the first year for a fatter paycheck, and how many will jump back to the NBA now that they'd be eligible?

The difference between European players and American players is that American dream of playing in the NBA. I imagine that while some will stay and opt for more money, most will head back to the NBA and give it a shot. That's not very beneficial for the Euro teams, to only have a player for one year, when they're developing no less. I guess time will tell.

Well the NBA was planning to extend the rule to two years so maybe Euro teams will have two years of development.

Plus some might feel that they need better preparation, and stay for about 2-3 years while still getting paid.

It's definetely a new development in the world of basketball and we'll see what happens.

Tully365
07-12-2008, 08:44 PM
This story leaves out a lot of important details. Jennings did not score high enough the first time he took the SATs to qualify. The second time he took them, his score jumped up so high that the test was "flagged" as suspicious, and he was forced to take another test. As far as I know, those results are either not in or not being reported. The thing I find interesting is that there is very little info being released or discussed about these two test results. A test getting flagged is not a terribly common occurrence as far as I know. No one even seems interested in the possibility that he might have been caught cheating. if the third test results are never released, it will be mighty suspicious, especially since the euro idea was at first mentioned if he didn't pass, but in this last week has been focused on as the main option even if he does pass. It makes me doubt his confidence about passing, which shouldn't be an issue if he improved dramatically & legitimately the second time. We'll have to wait and see.

That being said, I think the strategy of going to Europe will be more and more common, as will the situation where Euro-stars-- like Tiago Splitter-- stay in Europe. Salaries are rising in Europe as basketball gains more and more popularity, while the dollar in the US looks less attractive to foreign born players.

I can't say living in Barcelona or Rome for a year, making a few hundred thousand, is exactly a bad experience for an American teenager. And the life experience would probably provide an education as good or better than most of the High school Hoops "academies" in the states do.

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:08 PM
This story leaves out a lot of important details. Jennings did not score high enough the first time he took the SATs to qualify. The second time he took them, his score jumped up so high that the test was "flagged" as suspicious, and he was forced to take another test. As far as I know, those results are either not in or not being reported. The thing I find interesting is that there is very little info being released or discussed about these two test results. A test getting flagged is not a terribly common occurrence as far as I know. No one even seems interested in the possibility that he might have been caught cheating. if the third test results are never released, it will be mighty suspicious, especially since the euro idea was at first mentioned if he didn't pass, but in this last week has been focused on as the main option even if he does pass. It makes me doubt his confidence about passing, which shouldn't be an issue if he improved dramatically & legitimately the second time. We'll have to wait and see.

That being said, I think the strategy of going to Europe will be more and more common, as will the situation where Euro-stars-- like Tiago Splitter-- stay in Europe. Salaries are rising in Europe as basketball gains more and more popularity, while the dollar in the US looks less attractive to foreign born players.

I can't say living in Barcelona or Rome for a year, making a few hundred thousand, is exactly a bad experience for an American teenager. And the life experience would probably provide an education as good or better than most of the High school Hoops "academies" in the states do.

Exactly!