PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs have anyone to trade for Wilcox?

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 09:20 AM
We need someone like him to help the Spurs in rebounding. I know he is in the last year of his contract so Seattle would want someone in return who is in the same situation.

bdictjames
07-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Can the guy score?

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
He was a 13 and 7 guy last year. To me he is athletic for his size.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2008, 09:30 AM
We can trade Oberto and Bonner for him.

urunobili
07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
We can trade Oberto and Bonner for him.

and what value that brings to the the Sonics? :wakeup

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2008, 09:37 AM
and what value that brings to the the Sonics? :wakeup

Better passing and midrange to 3point shooting.

benefactor
07-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Seattle? Oh...your talking about the OKC Thieves. My bad.

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
LOL. I forget. We'd have to work out a deal with OKC. I have to start getting use to that. I know that Wilcox is going to be OKC's biggest trade asset this season so I am sure it will be hard to get Wilcox, but is there any way it can be done?

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
This is the latest I found.

The yet-to-be-renamed NBA franchise in Oklahoma City will be looking to improve through trades this offseason rather than free agency, according to The Oklahoman.

Forwards Chris Wilcox and Donyell Marshall both have expiring contracts, which means they could be dealt for help in other areas as GM Sam Presti frees up minutes for the team's young talent.

Point guard Luke Ridnour could be traded to make room for rookie Russell Westbrok, as well as any one of the team's trio of centers - Robert Swift, Johan Petro, and Mouhamed Sene.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53425/20080707/oklahoma_city_will_be_active_in_trade_market/

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't mind grabbing Donyell Marshall away from them either.

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Bonner!:toast

benefactor
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Presti hooked us up before on the Barry deal...C'mon Sam, lets do it again.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Marshall is as soft as a doughnut. However, I would like to get a hold of Wilcox. Package Bonner and Oberto in a trade.

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 10:11 AM
What about Petro?

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I'd rather get a hold of Serge Ibaka for the long term. I know, I know. Keep dreamin'. :lol

Josepatches
07-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Oberto and Bonner? The Sonics will have to be very stupid to make that trade.

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Maybe Bonner for Donyell Marshall, but he is at that age where his skills might start to go downhill and might end up being a liability... also it's a youth movement it seems now so I don't see us going after him...

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Wilcox would be good maybe trade Oberto and Bonner or Thomas and Bonner... if Thomas comes back.

z0sa
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Maybe Bonner for Donyell Marshall, but he is at that age where his skills might start to go downhill and might end up being a liability... also it's a youth movement it seems now so I don't see us going after him...

What does Donyell F'in Marshall bring to the table that Matt Bonner doesn't?

Seriously, Bonner brings far more hustle and a better work ethic, and dare to believe his shot is better now than Marshall's at this point. In terms of the youth movement, you do understand Bonner is in his prime?

WildcardManu
07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Wilcox's athleticism would fit nicely in the Spurs system, not to mention his rebounding.

hater
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
if we keep Thomas we are not gonna trade him. I am for trading Bonner and Oberto for Wilcox

wilcox is one strong dude

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Im sure they would be happy to take our first round pick in 2011 or maybe a couple second rounders next year and a player whos contract wont bog them down......like bonner and vaughn....He would be a nice fit with duncan....could give us 25mins 10pts 8 rbs and 1-2blocks .....runs the floor well and could be an excellent trailor on the fast breaks....If we can get him go do it

Kori Ellis
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
The knock on Wilcox is that he is a little lazy (doesn't like to practice) and that he's a horrible defender. He averages like .6 blocks per 30 minutes ... a guy that athletic should be averaging a block and a half without hardly trying. But he's crazy athletic, runs the floor and can board.

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
The reason I brought up Wilcox is because I knew Seattle (OKC) is open to trading him away. Also because the Spurs need someone to counter the David West, Lamar Odom, and the like.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:31 PM
I think he will pick up his play on a winning team plus he is in a contract year so all the more reason for him to do so.....Lots of players are lazy when they know they are gonna lose every night and not be getting alot of touches......and even half ass play from him is better than Oberto

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Would rather go after Josh Boone, would cost a lot less, much better defender and younger...

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:59 PM
What about Petro?

Looks like an Elson clone....very active but has no idea what the hell he is doing.....but every 4-5 games makes an unbelievable play....not bad if can be had cheap but they have high hopes on him and Swift and Sene the other C they drafted......They are loaded up front with your talent....just got 2 more PF from draft so give us one Mr Presti

Bruno
07-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Among Spurs tradable assets, Mahinmi is the one with the most value.

If you remember, Lindsey said in a interview that some other teams have noticed Mahinmi's improvement and his good season. Using my GM translator, it means "When we talked with other teams they have asked for Mahinmi in trades conversations."

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm afraid you're right Bruno. The Spurs will not trade Ian. They better not. I am really getting a good feeling about Ian.

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Wilcox Won't fit!

GSH
07-11-2008, 04:10 PM
He was a 13 and 7 guy last year. To me he is athletic for his size.

He's a hell of a lot better than a 13 and 7 guy, especially on the offensive end. Particularly when he can stay out of early foul trouble. Someone asked if he can score. Well, he can damned well score. He's light on rebounding for his size and athleticism, but he can put up points. Nobody raises an eyebrow if he puts up 20 in a game.

He finished the 06-07 season strong, and was a beast coming out of the gates last season. I expected him to anchor the Sonics' scoring, with Durant being a rookie. He was their second best scorer, but it wasn't the breakout season I expected. Part of the problem was the Sonics overall offensive execution. He also had a couple of injuries that hampered his production, but nothing career-threatening. He had a lot of 18-20+ point nights, but too many 4-8 point nights, which is why he only averaged 13.

Talent-wise, he is a player that other teams would have to respect and defend, which would take some of the heat off of Duncan. That's the good news. The bad news:

1. His salary is listed as $6.75 Mil, but he had a 3-year $24 Mil deal. I think he would cost more like $8 Million this year.
2.There is some reason to believe that he can score 20 points whenever he wants to. But the problem is that he doesn't always want to badly enough to bring his A game. He sure doesn't seem to hit the boards as hard or as consistently as he is capable of doing.
3. Carlisimo tried to get some of his other players (especially Nick Collison) involved, and Wilcox thought it was cutting into "his" minutes. By December, he had made public comments complaining that he wanted to be "more involved in the offense". Not a good sign. And apparently he didn't understand that it was going to be Kevin Durant's team from the start.
4. There was some talk that the "injuries" he had last season weren't as bad as he let on, and that he was sitting out because he didn't like the coaching.
5. In 2005, he got pulled over late at night because his car was weaving. He was eventually arrested on gun charges, for having a .357 and ammo in the car. Just a few weeks ago, he was a passenger in a car that got pulled over. Both he and the driver were arrested on weapons charges. Two firearm arrests in three years is probably not going to endear him to Spurs' management.

There are some hints that the Sonics would deal him. If true, it is probably due to attitude and off-court issues.

Darkwaters
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I think it's funny that someone suggested trading Thomas and Bonner for him. Just because the Sonics traded Thomas away last year doesn't mean that they aren't clammering to get his services back!

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 05:57 PM

If you remember, Lindsey said in a interview that some other teams have noticed Mahinmi's improvement and his good season. Using my GM translator, it means "When we talked with other teams they have asked for Mahinmi in trades conversations."

:toast

td4mvp21
07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Who knows, maybe Presti can give him to us for nothing...

Srupsog
07-11-2008, 07:26 PM
This is how the spurs can get Wilcox, trade bonner and oberto plus a rookie from this year's draft or instead of a rookie from this year's draft a future 1st round pick. OR another way sign and trade Kurt Thomas plus a rookie from this year's draft or instead of a rookie from this year's draft a future 1st round pick, or both.

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 07:29 PM

They had better not trade Ian, I have a good feeling that he is going to be big for us and hopefully be with the Spurs for a long time; excited to get to see him play on the roster.

tav1
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Forget about Wilcox. The Spurs will not trade for a guy with character issues.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 07:36 PM

Why are we even discussing Ian in any potential trade possibilities? The guy hasn't played his first regular season game for us yet.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Forget about Wilcox. The Spurs will not trade for a guy with character issues.

Damon S was a pot smoker and drug dealer, Steven Jackson has been arrested several times.....They will take a chance on a guy if he is not a habbitual offender....besides he is in the last yr of his deal so it would be min risk

AusSpursFan
07-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Would rather go after Josh Boone, would cost a lot less, much better defender and younger...

Bugger that, if we are going to do anything, lets try and bring in some athleticism. New Jersey is the target, but Sean Williams is the man, it just makes so much sense to have a guy like this on the roster, who can not only send that ball into the stands, but run the floor with TP on a fast break and throw it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOP3YBBKnzc

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Josh Boone is a very good athlete, not Sean Williams, but not Rasho. I would be happy with either, but all that means nothing if we do not re-sign KT imo.

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
hes not bad, but isnt his contract like 9 mil a season? i could be way off here..

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 08:37 PM
josh boone is a great rebounder/hustle player/ average defender. he just has trouble putting the ball in the hoop. well still an upgrade over krstic so he would be a decent option too.

AusSpursFan
07-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Have you guys been watching the NBA, or at least youtube, this guy is on the highlight reel every night. Boone is just boring in comparison.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Have you guys been watching the NBA, or at least youtube, this guy is on the highlight reel every night. Boone is just boring in comparison.

Which is exactly why the Spurs should get Boone...I do not know if its even possible, but NJ has a slew of bigs. Maybe Sean Williams is the one who might be available.

AusSpursFan
07-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Which is exactly why the Spurs should get Boone...I do not know if its even possible, but NJ has a slew of bigs. Maybe Sean Williams is the one who might be available.

New Jersey is definitely out there shopping some of their bigs, so we should be on the phone. At the end of the day either one of them would add some much needed help to our front court and hopefully relegate Oberto to the bench at the same time.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 09:03 PM
I would take Wilcox, Boone or Williams. All of those would be home-runs. I do not know if we can get one realistically, but that would sure make me feel better, especially Boone imo. But as I said before, we would still need KT in order for anything to really help.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Williams and Boone are still in that "foul prone" stage of young bigs, which I feel Ian will suffer as well. That is why Oberto and Kurt help so much.

AusSpursFan
07-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I am just not an Oberto fan at all, I was disappointed when they resigned him over a season a go. The playoffs highlighted his inadequacies, he was getting murdered on the boards and at times looked like a deer in headlights

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 09:20 PM
the nets were expecting sean williams to have a kenyon martin like impact. from what ive seen hes a GREAT shot blocker but a decent 1v1 defender(although thats more than likely to improve over time) his offense is pretty raw.. ian could be the same player though.

coopdogg3
07-11-2008, 09:24 PM
If we could get another young big from New Jersey for the Beno exception, we'll have to give RC some credit for that Beno trade.

wisnub
07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Trade Bonner and Oberto for Wilcox...well, whatever :lmao

NewJerSpur
07-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Sean Williams has a good amount of upside and athleticism, but makes some EXTREMELY bone-headed plays and gets into foul trouble all too often before he can make up for his early blunders. He has shown flashes at times, but for every great rebound, dunk, or shot-block he makes he makes commits head-scratchers...and looks clueless after doing so.

Boone is a better option at this point...moves well without the ball (comparable to Fab) to put himself in position for easy scores, plays solid defense at the rim, has a decent jumper, is a VERY good finisher, and most importantly is a terrible free-throw shooter....which would make him a perfect fit for SA over anything else :lol.

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Wilcox would be a nice fit but this isn't happening. Move along now...

Sway
07-12-2008, 07:26 PM
I would give RC's left nut for Boone, Wilcox, or Williams.

manufor3
07-12-2008, 07:57 PM
sign and trade thomas for wilcox?