PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Manu 'More In Than Out' Of Games

duncan228
07-11-2008, 10:51 AM
A Spurs trainer is with him. I like that.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/07/jeff_mcdonald_m_12.html

Jeff McDonald: Manu 'more in than out' of Games

It's beginning to look like Manu Ginobili is leaning toward playing in the Olympic Games after all.

Ginobili, who has been battling an ankle injury since the NBA playoffs, told reporters in his native Argentina on Thursday that he is optimistic that he will be well enough to help his home country defend its gold medal next month in Beijing

"Today, I feel I am more in than out of the Olympics," Ginobili said.

Ginobili first jammed his left ankle in the Spurs' first-round playoff series against Phoenix, and the injury plagued him all the way through the team's postseason ouster against the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals.

The ankle was still bothering him two weeks after Spurs' playoff run ended, leading coach Gregg Popovich to say last month that Ginobili should "definitely not" play in the Olympics if his health did not improve.

Now, it looks as if Ginobili might be able to meet that criterion.

Chad Bergman, the Spurs assistant athletic trainer, has accompanied Ginobili back to Argentina, where the national team has begun scrimmaging in preparation for the Olympics.

Ginobili has not participated in those workouts. But according to the Argentine newspaper Clarin, Bergman has been pleased Ginobili's progress and thinks the guard will be able to play in two weeks.

urunobili
07-11-2008, 10:54 AM
he stole it from several Argie newspapers notes... and girls... manu says in one of them he is ready to be a father...

http://www.ole.clarin.com/notas/2008/07/11/basquet/01712964.html

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1029237

Harry Callahan
07-11-2008, 11:04 AM
I bet a Manu baby will play some hoop. It's in the genes.

1Parker1
07-11-2008, 11:10 AM
His wife is already pregnant? Awww, I can totally picture Manu as a father.

duncan228
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
he stole it from several Argie newspapers notes...

McDonald is frustrating.

I posted it because I didn't know a Spurs trainer was with Manu, I like that he's getting specific attention.

urunobili
07-11-2008, 11:50 AM
McDonald is frustrating.

I posted it because I didn't know a Spurs trainer was with Manu, I like that he's getting specific attention.

Wow we reported that (that Chad Bergman would be with manu all along the process and they're even evaluating taking him to the games as well) even before his trip for the second injections and review...

more... David Smith (Spurs Doctor and Chad's boss) will fly to Argentina to give manu the final franchise approval or not

duncan228
07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow we reported that (that Chad Bergman would be with manu all along the process and they're even evaluating taking him to the games as well) even before his trip for the second injections and review...

more... David Smith (Spurs Doctor and Chad's boss) will fly to Argentina to give manu the final franchise approval or not

I missed it. :)
Thanks for the info.

diego
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
the quotes attributed to bergman (in spanish, followed by my translation) are:

Por suerte no ha sentido dolores en su tobillo. Estamos esperanzados con el tratamiento que hizo y con los pasos que se están dando-

Luckily he hasn't felt pain in his ankle. We're confident in the treatment and the progress he's making.

Estamos confiados en la recuperación. Creemos que en dos semanas va a poder jugar. Pero hay que esperar-

We're confident in the recovery. We believe he'll be able to play in 2 weeks, but we must wait.

Ya se puede cuidar solo, ja. Y los doctores de acá son muy buenos-

He can take care of himself now (joking). And the doctors here are very good

of course i'm sure it's all lipservice due to the threat of kidnap and torture, worse than iraq, and manu is using a look alike to fool the reporters at practice. manu and the spurs are doomed! :blah