PDA

View Full Version : Presidential candidate Obama to sponsor Cup car at Pocono race

Viva Las Espuelas
07-11-2008, 10:55 AM
this should be interesting.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Presidential candidate Obama to sponsor Cup car at Pocono race

SI.com has learned that for the first time in history, a major presidential candidate may sponsor a race car in NASCAR's premier series. According to sources, Barack Obama's campaign is in talks to become the primary sponsor of BAM Racing's No. 49 Sprint Cup car for the Pocono race on August 3. Details of the agreement are expected to be worked out over the coming days.
A BAM spokesperson has revealed the team will hold a press conference July 23 in Miami to reveal the partnership, currently a proposed one-race deal with an option to continue. Obama will be at the briefing, which will be tied to the "Get Out The Vote" campaign message he spread throughout the 2008 primary season.
Sources claim one of the options being considered would allow individual campaign donors to get their name on the race car for as little as $100. Obama will also be present for a second private fundraiser on July 30 in Miami, in which team owners Beth Ann and Tony Morgenthau -- staunch Republicans -- will give the Democrat an opportunity to spread his message of change. Randy Moss and Fergie are among the celebrities confirmed to be a part of that fundraiser in support of the candidate and his venture into NASCAR.
While George Bush was prominently featured on Kirk Shelmerdine's No. 72 car in 2004, this is the first time a national presidential campaign has actually given its own money to make itself a primary sponsor of a race car. The sport has typically shown itself to be a Republican stronghold, and in recent weeks two-time champ Jimmie Johnson is among the growing list of well-known NASCAR stars who have come out in favor of Obama's opponent, John McCain.
Ken Schrader will drive the entry, a Toyota, at Pocono for BAM, which is outside the top 35 in owner points and must qualify for the race on speed. The team has run just once since Martinsville due to sponsorship concerns, and has just six top-10 finishes in 167 career starts in the Cup series dating back to '02. According to sources, the team will stick with Toyota after making a switch from Dodge back in the spring.

Wild Cobra
07-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I wonder how the libtards will react when they learn that Obama has his name on one of the biggest gas guzzlers around?

I wonder how many nasty-grams nascar is going to get?

Pistons < Spurs
07-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Ken Schrader will drive the entry, a Toyota, at Pocono for BAM, which is outside the top 35 in owner points and must qualify for the race on speed. The team has run just once since Martinsville due to sponsorship concerns, and has just six top-10 finishes in 167 career starts in the Cup series dating back to '02. According to sources, the team will stick with Toyota after making a switch from Dodge back in the spring.

Obama was getting killed on local sports talk radio today for this. Obviously being in Big 3 country, local people .... mostly employed by one of the Big 3 or some off shoot of the automobile industry ... weren't pleased that he's sponsoring a Toyota. Not pleased at all....

Vinnie_Johnson
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Obama was getting killed on local sports talk radio today for this. Obviously being in Big 3 country, local people .... mostly employed by one of the Big 3 or some off shoot of the automobile industry ... weren't pleased that he's sponsoring a Toyota. Not pleased at all....

Wait until he raises their taxes that will piss them off even more.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-13-2008, 10:34 PM
man, i didn't even pick up on that. i was just posting it because i thought it was kind of a fish out of water move on his part. gee, isn't obamessiah preaching the whole green, gore crap. i wonder how much fuel is used and how much emissions are let out on account of a nascar race. this obamessiah has the biggest pair of balls and his obamicons are too stupid, YES YOU!!!, to see the hypocrisy that he spews from his holiest of holies.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 10:45 PM
That's awesome.

The bitter ones are clinging to their crappy American cars too.

Malik Rows
07-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Maybe the Big 3 need to improve their product and ops instead of counting on rally 'round the flag bullshit. It's also amusing that now the Big 3 have to jettison the various European luxury brands they bought up over the years just to stay liquid in part.

Wild Cobra
07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
That's awesome.

Well, there is a certain tradition in NASCAR that is now blown. Still, I liked the NASCAR of years past when they modified stock cars. Today, it just isn't the same anyway. It's seldom I watch NASCAR races any more.

Anti.Hero
07-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Nascar promotions can go a long way to sway rednecks' desires.

Toyota sold some trucks outta it.

Anti.Hero
07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
That's awesome.

haha that was pretty good.

possessed
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
That's awesome.

There are more Toyotas manufactured in the United States than there are Fords now days.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Exactly, so what is the problem?

possessed
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Exactly, so what is the problem?

Oops, I thought you were implying that all American built cars are crappy.

You are right then, bitter mullet-heads are clinging to their Chevy's.

Toyota makes an excellent car in our country and is a fine business model.