PDA

View Full Version : Trade Bonner

rascal
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Where can Bonner be traded? It may take a package deal with another player but I don't see Bonner on the spurs. Just don't know who would want him.

Trade him to Toronto with Vaughn for Jamario Moon and Humphries. I know Humphries isn't that good but he is thrown in to make salaries match.

Moon is the player the spurs could use at sf and they also get rid of Bonner. Vaughn will likely not get many minutes if Hill works out, like what is expected.

Toronto needs an experienced backup pg. Just not sure how marketable Bonner is. Toronto can use some players who can hit some perimeter shots if Bonner still has some game.

Anyone have any other destinations for Bonner?

z0sa
07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I dont think Bonner is going to be traded straight for anyone due to his contract, unless it is another big.

In a package deal? Maybe. But I don't think we'll see him traded before Pop reevaluates him, so earliest he would be gone some time before the trade deadline this season.

ducks
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
if booner sucks as much as spur fans think he does why would a gm want him

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Why would Toronto be willing to part with Moon for our scraps?

Come on...

z0sa
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM

Because big men who hustle AND shoot 3 pt shots generally are far larger commodities than anyone seems to believe.

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I think he will not be traded

tav1
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I propose a moritorium on "Trade Bonner" threads....

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Trade him to Toronto with Vaughn for Jamario Moon and Humphries.:lmao :lmao

You can't complain about the Spurs not making trades and then come up with this whopper of a deal. Might as well have thrown in Udoka to get back Chris Bosh while you're at it . . .

Considering his low salary and that the Spurs don't want to take on a contract that is longer than two years, it'd be very hard to trade Bonner in any deal that made sense. That's especially true now that the Spurs ran his value into the ground last year a la Beno.

rj215
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Where can Bonner be traded? It may take a package deal with another player but I don't see Bonner on the spurs. Just don't know who would want him.

Trade him to Toronto with Vaughn for Jamario Moon and Humphries. I know Humphries isn't that good but he is thrown in to make salaries match.

Moon is the player the spurs could use at sf and they also get rid of Bonner. Vaughn will likely not get many minutes if Hill works out, like what is expected.

Toronto needs an experienced backup pg. Just not sure how marketable Bonner is. Toronto can use some players who can hit some perimeter shots if Bonner still has some game.

This is why we need Isiah Thomas running another team for us to hustle.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Can't expect for another team to take your perceived "garbage" players and expect not to get "garbage" in return.

Marcus Bryant
07-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Of course RC is a horrible GM when these are the trades you expect him to be able to pull off. I hate Spurs fans.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Of course RC is a horrible GM when these are the trades you expect him to be able to pull off. I hate Spurs fans.

Then why do you converse with them so often...You always say you hate Spurs fans and they are spoiled...Aren't you a Spurs fan?

rascal
07-11-2008, 06:15 PM

I didn't say anything about expecting the spurs to pull this trade off. I threw a trade out there. I've seen worse trades then this get pulled off every year.

Are you a relative of someone in the front office or you just like to constantly kiss their asses?

Taking it to the Hole
07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I think if Bonner plays decent in the first half of the season, his value might increase making a mid-season trade more reasonable, but no one is going to trade us straight up for him. I think Bonner might actually have a good season this year, don't ask me why, just a hunch.

jack sommerset
07-11-2008, 06:19 PM

They wouldn't.

rascal
07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Can't expect for another team to take your perceived "garbage" players and expect not to get "garbage" in return.

Thats not always the case. Not sure where I saw it, maybe Roto World news but I remember seeing somewhere were Toronto was not that high on Moon. They need a Backup pg and who knows what they think about Bonner but with O'Neal and Bosh down low now they may want another perimeter shooter.

Duncan2177
07-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry to say but if we have have Boner as a backup to Duncan were screwed.

2centsworth
07-11-2008, 09:47 PM

:lmao. You related to Dirk Nowitzki, spurstalk poster?

anyways, Bonner + ? for Udonis Haslem might work. Beasley is probably going to be the man down there.

TheProfessor
07-11-2008, 10:07 PM

anyways, Bonner + ? for Udonis Haslem might work. Beasley is probably going to be the man down there.
Haslem for Bonner and Oberto works financially. Just saying.

Kobe™
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Noone wants that scrub

T Park
07-11-2008, 10:36 PM
I didn't say anything about expecting the spurs to pull this trade off. I threw a trade out there. I've seen worse trades then this get pulled off every year.

Are you a relative of someone in the front office or you just like to constantly kiss their asses?

Ah,

Rascal = Bob Hill

T Park
07-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Sorry to say but if we have have Boner as a backup to Duncan were screwed.

Yeah guys like Mahinmi Oberto and Thomas would get passed right over.

T Park
07-11-2008, 10:37 PM

Why would the Heat do that?

porksword
07-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Why are we trading a blogger anyways, http://seanbonner.com/ Do we even own his rights.

T Park
07-11-2008, 10:45 PM
:lmao @ the name porksword

my2sons
07-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Because big men who hustle AND shoot 3 pt shots generally are far larger commodities than anyone seems to believe.

unless they play for the spurs...i can't imagine why the spurs would want a big man who hustles and hits the 3 at the power forward position

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 12:18 AM
I hate how we're overpaying him, obviously. What annoys me more is that his roster spot could be the spot for one of our rookies or a young player we sign. I'd rather give a young prospect some minutes instead of Bonner the benchwarmer.

Hoy
07-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Pop should be forced to player Bonner 30 minutes each and every game so that this should be burned into his mind: Don't sign guys with doghouse game - players consigns to doghouse.
Why the hell is he signing for guys with games clashing with his philosophy and yet expect them to adapt? That's just peverse and idiotic.
You make you bed, you sleep in it.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Why does Pop go out of his way to lower the value of players he signs to contracts?

2centsworth
07-12-2008, 03:32 PM

develop beasley and to dump a little salary. Plus, Bonner adds outside shooting which the Heat need.

Sick thing is we could of had Udonis for cheap.

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Would anyone be willing to take him off our hands???

SenorSpur
07-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Nellie @ GS?

Biggems
07-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I believe GS and NY are the two teams who would covet Bonner, cause of his hustle and outside shooting. Unfortunately for us, the Knicks are way over the threshold and looking to shed salary, so Bonner wont be going there. That leaves GS.

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Nellie @ GS?

Interesting. So it could be possible to do a sign and trade to get Azubuike or Biedrins?

Biggems
07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Interesting. So it could be possible to do a sign and trade to get Azubuike or Biedrins?

i was thinking Barnes.

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Barnes is UFA. We could still get him withotu a trade. Azubuike and Biedrins are RFA I believe.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Barnes is UFA. We could still get him withotu a trade. Azubuike and Biedrins are RFA I believe.

but u said sign and trade........so that is why I said Barnes.

I dont see GS letting Biedrins go, Azubuike is more likely to be available.

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
But we don't need to do a sign and trade to get Barnes....that was my point. Wer'e trying to trade Bonner for something here.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 06:42 PM
But we don't need to do a sign and trade to get Barnes....that was my point. Wer'e trying to trade Bonner for something here.

we do if we want to get rid of Bonner's contract as well.

BTW, since the other two are still under contract, why would we have to do a sign and trade for them?

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 07:05 PM
They have the option to stay with their team or accept an offer elsewhere. GS can match that offer. Is it not possible for them to stay in GS, receive a new contract, and be traded?

rascal
07-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Ah,

Rascal = Bob Hill

What Pop did to me was Bush league. When Duncan and Robinson were teamed together thats when they fired me. Pop saw the future success of the team and wanted to ride that train.

And Jay Howard is another back stabber. He always had me on his show with WOAI and then said he was never fond of me after I was fired.

manufor3
07-13-2008, 08:28 PM

umm he described in his post, beasley's gonna be the man down there

Biggems
07-13-2008, 08:29 PM
What Pop did to me was Bush league. When Duncan and Robinson were teamed together thats when they fired me. Pop saw the future success of the team and wanted to ride that train.

And Jay Howard is another back stabber. He always had me on his show with WOAI and then said he was never fond of me after I was fired.

u do realize that Pop took over for Hill the season before Duncan was drafted, right?

my2sons
07-13-2008, 09:11 PM

ya and bring back keven o'keefe so he can write the real story...I mean we all know what a great great hall of fame coach hill is...where is he now, i wonder...i know someone was throwing a pity party for him to consider hiring himm as an assssistant coach...

rascal
07-13-2008, 09:49 PM
u do realize that Pop took over for Hill the season before Duncan was drafted, right?

Yes at mid season just when Robinson came back from his first injury that season. But when other injuries hit and when Robinson was injured again Pop decided to shut Robinson down for the season when it was clear the season was lost to tank the season to have a better shot to land Duncan and it worked.

Pop had his eyes set on Duncan all season and was in no hurry to get Robinson back on the court to win some games down the stretch in the last month to further drop the odds.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Yes at mid season just when Robinson came back from his first injury that season. But when other injuries hit and when Robinson was injured again Pop decided to shut Robinson down for the season when it was clear the season was lost to tank the season to have a better shot to land Duncan and it worked.

Pop had his eyes set on Duncan all season and was in no hurry to get Robinson back on the court to win some games down the stretch in the last month to further drop the odds.

wrong. It happened near the beginning of the season. DRob came back from an injury, Pop fired Hill and took over the reigns.....but then DRob got hurt just 6-9 games into the Pop era and missed the rest of the season. Elliott missed around 40 games himself due to injury that year.

ducks
07-13-2008, 11:07 PM

david went to the front office and got bob fired

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2008, 11:31 PM

Now that is worthy of a :lmao.

Again, criticism of the front office based on expectations like those is stupid.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2008, 11:32 PM

I like having a clue.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2008, 11:33 PM
umm he described in his post, beasley's gonna be the man down there

So naturally the Heat will just give away their assets.

Taking it to the Hole
07-14-2008, 03:03 AM
Man, I really hope Matt Bonner doesn't check out this forum. I don't think one post was positive for him, other than mine. Poor guy. He isn't as bad as people think he is and there are probably teams that would want him, just we won't get what we want from the deals. I think this season is his last chance. Pop is going to give him more minutes if Horry doesnt come back and if Oberto is still hurting.

rapliketp
07-14-2008, 05:54 AM

maybe grizzlies would for cardinal or celtics for scalabrine :vomit:

byrontx
07-14-2008, 08:36 AM
I have always liked Bonner's hustle. Sometimes, when the Spurs seem to be trying their hardest to let some team back into the game after getting up on them by 20 points, I wish Pop would just let go and place Bonner in there. I always hated those third quarter naps and last year they seemed to indulge in them a lot.

2centsworth
07-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Now that is worthy of a :lmao.

Again, criticism of the front office based on expectations like those is stupid.

no dumb dumb, my criticism is not based on expectations because I have none as far as a trade is concerned. You seem to be the blind suicidal front office apologist who conveniently forgets we had udonis haslem in summer league twice. udonis performed well and I was shocked he wasn't signed. Now letting Udonis go is well worth criticism, but you go ahead and continue to kiss ass.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Oh damn, the Spurs can't get Michael Redd for Matt Bonner. The FO sucks and if you don't agree, you are kissing their ass!!!1111

2centsworth
07-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh damn, the Spurs can't get Michael Redd for Matt Bonner. The FO sucks and if you don't agree, you are kissing their ass!!!1111

are you intentionally ignoring what I wrote. Making or not making trades has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I brought up Udonis because he was readily available to the team, and now that you're comparing him to Michael Redd it makes it even worse. To think our FO let Michael Redd go from our summer league team.

Bruno
07-14-2008, 12:30 PM
If Spurs don't re-sign Horry, Bonner should get a fair chance this year to show what he is worth.

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
If Spurs don't re-sign Horry, Bonner should get a fair chance this year to show what he is worth.

Agreed.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2008, 12:49 PM

:tu I still have faith in Bonner. Albeit only a little, but still got some faith in him.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
are you intentionally ignoring what I wrote. Making or not making trades has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I brought up Udonis because he was readily available to the team, and now that you're comparing him to Michael Redd it makes it even worse. To think our FO let Michael Redd go from our summer league team.

Yawn. You're right, I've learned not to pay attention to your statements.

2centsworth
07-14-2008, 01:41 PM

:baby. I wouldn't argue the point neither if I were you.

rascal
07-14-2008, 01:47 PM

Its not that your not paying attention because your continuing to respond but your going off course by adding new crap that is off from what is really being said just to lead a thought to where you want it to go.

JamStone
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
This is why we need Isiah Thomas running another team for us to hustle.

Just curious... when did Isiah Thomas get hustled by the Spurs?

Malik Rose for Nazr Mohammed at least got the Knicks David Lee.

Oh, you must mean when the Spurs hoodwinked the Knicks out of Jackie Butler when they refused to match offers. Jackie Butler was awesome.

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
:cry

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
:baby. I wouldn't argue the point neither if I were you.

What? Your point that the FO is not perfect? No kidding.

2centsworth
07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
What? Your point that the FO is not perfect? No kidding.

:toast :flag:

Marcus Bryant
07-14-2008, 04:18 PM
...and I wouldn't want another group in charge.

Josepatches
07-14-2008, 07:48 PM

:tu .Exactly.We can't get anything

2centsworth
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
...and I wouldn't want another group in charge.
that's because you're obviously dating one of them.:downspin:

Manufan909
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Wow, that was REALLY clever... I just :vomit: in my mouth that was so great.

Malik Rows
07-14-2008, 08:31 PM
that's because you're obviously dating one of them.

Stellar comeback old man.

rascal
07-22-2008, 08:50 AM
:tu I still have faith in Bonner. Albeit only a little, but still got some faith in him.

I have faith that Bonner will be on another team soon.

Walton Buys Off Me
07-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Sorry to rain on the parade but RC Buford is the only basketball executive this side of the Atlantic that would want Matt Bonner.

wildbill2u
07-22-2008, 09:02 AM

If you chain someone to the bench as Pop has done it severely limits your options with that player. Personally I liked what Bonner brought to the team and thought he could be developed, but for whatever reason, Pop just didn't give him any minutes by the end of the season.

If you chain someone to the bench as Pop did, it severly limits your options with that player. What a waste that contract has been.

dbestpro
07-22-2008, 09:22 AM
If you chain someone to the bench as Pop has done it severely limits your options with that player. Personally I liked what Bonner brought to the team and thought he could be developed, but for whatever reason, Pop just didn't give him any minutes by the end of the season.

If you chain someone to the bench as Pop did, it severly limits your options with that player. What a waste that contract has been.

In the second half of the season Bonner missed a ton of shots. Pop just got tired of watching him miss.

Ocotillo
07-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Thoughts on Big Red:

Trading Bonner would be a fools errand at this time. timvp made an excellent point that just like Beno, Bonner's trade value at this time is low. As with stocks, one should buy low and sell high, we are the sellers in Mr. Bonner's case so we are not going to fetch much.

Second, some people whine that Bonner is overpaid. Others dispute that notion saying he does not hurt us capwise and his contract is not bad for a back up big. The argument is academic. He is overpaid in the sense that if he gets no playing time, he is not worth what he is being paid as we could have some stiff being paid the league minimum for practice fodder. On the other hand, veteran big men with some skills get way overpaid in this league so Bonner's contract is not out of line. Matt Bonner is not the reason the Spurs are over the cap so his salary is not a problem in that respect. The Spurs are not sliding into luxury tax hell either so his contract is not a problem in that respect either.

Third, this season may be better for Bonner. He is acclimated to the system and center is probably the weakest link in our starting line up. With other teams having big tandems such as Chandler/West, Bynum/Gasol, Odem/Aldridge, etc.... since we do not have a stellar starting center, we can use the depth. Translation, Matt Bonner can at least give us 6 fouls when we need it. With Horry likely gone, Bonner with the ability to shoot the three will likely get some playing time this season and if he plays passable defense, he will likely retain that playing time at the end of the season.

Bonner is Horry's replacement but he is not the the "next Robert Horry". He does not have the veteran savy and experience that Horry did but he has other skill sets that can be used. I like his hustle and grittiness and believe that has a role on this team.

Matt Bonner is a role player and while it would be swell to trade him for some all star on another team, that is not going to happen. At best, we would get another role player that would have to spend time learning our system.

I think that unless you get a call about a deal that is good for the Spurs and Bonner ends up being a throw in because of the size of this contract, you don't trade him. It would be unwise to actively shop him at this time due to his value being low. Five is a spot of concern going into this season with or without Kurt Thomas so I want the depth of Matt Bonner on the bench going into the next season.

Mr. Body
07-22-2008, 10:11 AM
You actually need Bonner this year. He's not optimal, he's not very good, but you need guys to soak up minutes and try to score a little. It's too late to trade him, if you ever could.