PDA

View Full Version : NJ Nets: Free agents Najera and Hayes all but locked up

traitoravery
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
by Dave D'Alessandro/The Star-Ledger
Friday July 11, 2008, 1:36 PM

Harry E. Walker/KRT
Jarvis Hayes meets Vince Carter. Now they get to play with each other.
The Nets have come to an agreement in principle on contracts for free agents forwards Eduardo Najera and Jarvis Hayes, according to a league official familiar with the negotiations.

Najera will receive a four-year contract that will average roughly $3.0 million, but is structured with a smaller salary on the back end so that the team will still have some flexibility in 2010, when they want to play the free agent market.

Hayes will receive the lower-level exception, which prices out to salaries of $1.91 million next season and $2.06 million for 2009-10.

Once these players sign, the Nets will have the maximum 15 players under contract, but they are by no means finished with their roster.

While the addition of two forwards would take Boki Nachbar out of the picture, the team is still trying to put together a sign-and-trade deal for restricted free agent Nenad Krstic - perhaps to Denver, as part of a Marcus Camby deal - and find a backup point guard.

LINK (http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/07/nj_nets_najera_and_hayes_all_b.html)

I was really hoping for Najera he seemed like he would fit in really well. :bang

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I think Najera would not fit in the spurs team!

Spurs1234
07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
shot down again, it is pretty funny, guys name dropping the spurs in their press comments to increase their value. nice.

z0sa
07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Looking more and more like Bonner will get the chance he deserves ... and that this is an offseason which effectively ended at the draft, other than the Mason signing.

timvp
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Spurs weren't going to sign Najera by dangling a two-year, $4M contract.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
One more gone.......not sure I would have given him 4 yrs and dont know why the want so many front court players......Thorn must be hangn out with mullin..........

traitoravery
07-11-2008, 01:24 PM
You think they will send him back to denver in the Camby deal?

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 01:26 PM
For that kind of money (LLE) I would have taken Hayes in a minute. I'm suprised he didn't come here for the LLE. That or I'm suprised the Spurs didn't offer it to him. Running out of options here. Good thing is Azu is still out there but I have a feeling they'll resign KT and call it an off season.

spurman20
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
You think they will send him back to denver in the Camby deal?

Possible but there are rules about how long a team must wait to sign another teams free agent and then trade him.......They may have to wait till 90 days after season starts before that can happen so I dont know if thats the plan.....I wouldnt mind having them donated Krystic or Josh Boone to us.

Spurs Brazil
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds like Najera is using the Spurs' interest simply to get a better deal out of the Nets.

:tu

MoSpur
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh well. To me that is a little to pricey for Najera.

Spurs4lyf
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Does that make Bostjan Nachbar more available then?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2008, 01:56 PM
excuse my french, but F*^*^*^#^*&*&*)!!!!

Eddie put in more effort than the two prima donnas earning 5-7 times more money than him.

Nuggets are going to have a horrible offseason and be even worse next year. Worst FO ever.

Don't even get me started on bringing freakin' Carter back.

Big P
07-11-2008, 01:57 PM
The Nets have come to an agreement in principle on contracts for free agents forwards Eduardo Najera and Jarvis Hayes

Great News!!

Big P
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Does that make Bostjan Nachbar more available then?

At this point I would take a shot on Nachbar..he can score, we know that & he is a tall SF who can stroke the 3 at a pretty good clip...LLE

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Possible but there are rules about how long a team must wait to sign another teams free agent and then trade him.......They may have to wait till 90 days after season starts before that can happen so I dont know if thats the plan.....I wouldnt mind having them donated Krystic or Josh Boone to us.

That is exactly what I have been saying. Josh Boone is young, talented, and a good defender. He got lots of playing time last year and pairing him with Ian would be a nice young duo of bigs to have. Would be just as good as the pairing of Boone and Williams for the Nets. Add in Kurt Thomas, then I absolutely love our big man situation: Kurt Thomas, Oberto, Ian, and Boone. Boone could be had with our trade exception as well, his salary matches that...

SPURSGOAT
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
we had no shot at Najera when all we can offer is 2 mil and other teams were offering him double that.... lol! He did the same thing as Maggette just using our name to try and get more money. He learned well from watching what Maggette did.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2008, 02:54 PM
For that kind of money (LLE) I would have taken Hayes in a minute. I'm suprised he didn't come here for the LLE. That or I'm suprised the Spurs didn't offer it to him. Running out of options here. Good thing is Azu is still out there but I have a feeling they'll resign KT and call it an off season.

Why would you want the guy who Roger Mason, Jr. beat out for a rotation spot in Washington when we signed Roger Mason, Jr.?

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
That is exactly what I have been saying. Josh Boone is young, talented, and a good defender. He got lots of playing time last year and pairing him with Ian would be a nice young duo of bigs to have. Would be just as good as the pairing of Boone and Williams for the Nets. Add in Kurt Thomas, then I absolutely love our big man situation: Kurt Thomas, Oberto, Ian, and Boone. Boone could be had with our trade exception as well, his salary matches that...

Why would the Nets want to trade Boone?

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 02:59 PM
How are we supposed to get Boone?

T Park
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Najera another in a long line of doesn't give a fuck about winning, just wants to get paid.

Have fun wasting away on a lottery team again shitface.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Why would the Nets want to trade Boone?

They have quite a few players at the position and the Spurs could offer them more cap relief in the form of the trade exception...Not saying that they would, but I would love that scenario and it is not unreasonable...It would open up more time for Yi and Brook Lopez and Sean Williams and Ryan Anderson...

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
How are we supposed to get Boone?

Use a trade exception or entice them with an 2010 expiring contract like Bonners...

kobyz
07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Use a trade exception or entice them with an 2010 expiring contract like Bonners...

A. so you need to take a bad contract from them

B. they will not trade Boone, they love him

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I thought the Nets were so concerned with clearing out space for the 2010 Lebron derby. I hope they don't get shit in 2010 or before.

T Park
07-11-2008, 03:09 PM
They have quite a few players at the position and the Spurs could offer them more cap relief in the form of the trade exception...Not saying that they would, but I would love that scenario and it is not unreasonable...It would open up more time for Yi and Brook Lopez and Sean Williams and Ryan Anderson...

What makes you think they will play Sean Williams or Ryan Anderson?

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Why would you want the guy who Roger Mason, Jr. beat out for a rotation spot in Washington when we signed Roger Mason, Jr.?
Talent or lack of is not always the reason why someone gets beat out of a rotation. All kinds of factors and for all we know it was something unrelated to court production altogether. I think the guy would be a good talent for 1.9mil.

I bet we end up getting way less with the LLE.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
If they love him why did they draft 2 players that play the exact same position and trade for a guy like Yi who can play the same position? They are obviously not in love with one of their bigs: Boone or Williams and I will take either.

Why do you have to take a bad contract? You could do Bonner for Boone and Marcus Williams who both have 1 year left on their contracts.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
What makes you think they will play Sean Williams or Ryan Anderson?

Sean Williams started like 31 games last year...

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:17 PM
A. so you need to take a bad contract from them

B. they will not trade Boone, they love him

If you use the Beno trade exception, we do not have to take on any contract at all...

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Jesus Christ I'm laughing at you guys thinking they'll just give players away for no good reason. As if Bonner or better yet thin air would be a better fit on their team.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Boone = 25 mins per game

Williams = 18 minutes per game

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Jesus Christ I'm laughing at you guys thinking they'll just give players away for no good reason. As if Bonner or better yet thin air would be a better fit on their team.

Ever heard of a logjam? Or better yet, a future plan? Clearing cap space? I guess Memphis never heard from you....

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Ever heard of a logjam? Or better yet, a future plan? Clearing cap space? I guess Memphis never heard from you....So because one team made a massive cap move its a regular thing?

If you got some talent I suspect they'll attempt to move it for some actual value. Memphis didn't have many options beyond absorbing another large contract which doesn't fit in with their rebuilding plans. Thats not the case here. They could easily trade small salary for small salary and maybe address a few things. No way they just give shit up for nothing right off the bat simply because they have too many bigs and most teams don't mind the extra baggage when it comes to bigs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Ever heard of a logjam? Or better yet, a future plan? Clearing cap space? I guess Memphis never heard from you....

Ever heard of using tradeable assets for players they can actually use in return?

Typical summer around here. Newbs to the board floating trade ideas of sending our 11th and 12th guys on the bench out and getting a top 6-7 rotation player from another team.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
So because one team made a massive cap move its a regular thing?

If you got some talent I suspect they'll attempt to move it for some actual value. Memphis didn't have many options beyond absorbing another large contract which doesn't fit in with their rebuilding plans. Thats not the case here. They could easily trade small salary for small salary and maybe address a few things. No way they just give shit up for nothing right off the bat simply because they have too many bigs and most teams don't mind the extra baggage when it comes to bigs.

That is exactly the case here... they are rebuilding and part of the rebuilding plan is to get as much cap space for 2010 as possible. That is why they traded Jason Kidd. That is why they traded Richard Jefferson. That is why they are not taking on long, expensive contracts. That is why they might be interested in expiring contracts and veterans at the same time.

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Ever heard of using tradeable assets for players they can actually use in return?

Typical summer around here. Newbs to the board floating trade ideas of sending our 11th and 12th guys on the bench out and getting a top 6-7 rotation player from another team.I love how she just compared this theory to a guy who made 10-20 mil a year too.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, expiring contracts are what is hot right now in the NBA. Like it or not, as a basketball fan, sometimes do not want just talent in return, sometimes expiring contracts or trade exceptions are enough. Not saying NJ would do all of this, but it is more than plausible.

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
That is exactly the case here... they are rebuilding and part of the rebuilding plan is to get as much cap space for 2010 as possible. That is why they traded Jason Kidd. That is why they traded Richard Jefferson. That is why they are not taking on long, expensive contracts. That is why they might be interested in expiring contracts and veterans at the same time.
They don't need to give shit away ok. We aren't talking about contracts that hard to move here. They could move these guys for picks real easy. Again just so you understand. We aren't talking about large contracts that hard to move. They can weigh offers for a year or so and see what shakes out. No need to give marketable talent away for nothing. You're not going to make any significant difference in cap space by handing talent out for nothing.

lefty
07-11-2008, 03:36 PM
http://media.fukung.net/images/4477/Night%20of%20Shitty%20Threads.gif

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Typical summer around here. Newbs to the board floating trade ideas of sending our 11th and 12th guys on the bench out and getting a top 6-7 rotation player from another team.

Newbs?? What are you a halo nerd? Expiring contracts do = tradeable assets. So by your theory, if Bonner gets playing time this year as an 8th man (which could happen) than he would be justified in a trade? He is the same player, sometimes players do not play because of circumstances not talent. In that case anyone who is an 11th or 12th man on a roster, can never fit in play on another team..

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Newbs?? What are you a halo nerd? Expiring contracts do = tradeable assets. So by your theory, if Bonner gets playing time this year as an 8th man (which could happen) than he would be justified in a trade? He is the same player, sometimes players do not play because of circumstances not talent. In that case anyone who is an 11th or 12th man on a roster, can never fit in play on another team..Give me an example of the last time up and coming talent with a contract worth less then 4 million was moved for nothing but cap space or a 12th man with an expiring contract.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
They don't need to give shit away ok. We aren't talking about contracts that hard to move here. They could move these guys for picks real easy. Again just so you understand. We aren't talking about large contracts that hard to move. They can weigh offers for a year or so and see what shakes out. No need to give marketable talent away for nothing. You're not going to make any significant difference in cap space by handing talent out for nothing.

I understand what you are saying, the fact that they are smaller contracts does not matter. Every little bit helps with regards to cap space. Especially if you have stockpiled a lot of young players in one position.

How do teams like the Spurs get players in trades like KT for essentially Elson then?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Delonte West last year

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Given it was in combination with other people involved, so the the relief along with the draft picks was greater, he was still young and essentially traded for picks and relief. He is about the same level as Boone or Williams with regards to talent level...

coopdogg3
07-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Who would have thought that Memphis would have traded Gasol for chump change? Why did Orlando do a sign-and-trade for Lewis last year, when they could have just signed him straight up? Who would have thought that Presti could then parlay that into 3 1st round picks?

There's a very small chance that the Spurs will be able to work some trade, but the possibility is always there. And that's what the off-season on a message board is all about.

kobyz
07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
If they love him why did they draft 2 players that play the exact same position and trade for a guy like Yi who can play the same position? They are obviously not in love with one of their bigs: Boone or Williams and I will take either.

Why do you have to take a bad contract? You could do Bonner for Boone and Marcus Williams who both have 1 year left on their contracts.

you are crazy? why that the nets will trade Boone + Marcus williams for Bonner?? they are both talanted young guys that doesn't hurt you in the cap spece

If you use the Beno trade exception, we do not have to take on any contract at all...

why for them to give up Boone for nothing, Boone doesn't hurt there 2010 plan

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I understand what you are saying, the fact that they are smaller contracts does not matter. Every little bit helps with regards to cap space. Especially if you have stockpiled a lot of young players in one position.

How do teams like the Spurs get players in trades like KT for essentially Elson then?KT didn't have a small contract. It was what 8mil?

BacktoBasics
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Delonte West last yearHe wasn't moved straight up. They needed him to move Wally's big contract.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Still gave up young talent in a package...for no players in return

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
you are crazy? why that the nets will trade Boone + Marcus williams for Bonner?? they are both talanted young guys that doesn't hurt you in the cap spece

why for them to give up Boone for nothing, Boone doesn't hurt there 2010 plan

I was just saying what would financially work for a trade, not saying that was the only options. The Spurs would more than likely have to take another contract on, but it could be done.

He will cost them 3 million in 2010 just for the QO and that could hurt their 2010 plan, that could be the difference...

I am not saying this is a slam dunk, but I have seen way funnier trades in the NBA

angelbelow
07-11-2008, 06:50 PM
oh well..