PDA

View Full Version : Ian Thomsen: Spurs a team to watch out for

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
2 Teams to watch

2. The Spurs. Having paid 27-year-old former Wizards guard Roger Mason $7 million for two years, San Antonio is one or two more complementary moves away from contending for another championship next season. Do they make another run at acquiring J.R. Smith?

Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Jacque Vaughn are the only role players under contract who are older than 31; Ian Mahinmi (21) and Matt Bonner (28) could have meaningful roles. The Celtics just won a championship with Ray Allen at 32, Kevin Garnett at 31 and Paul Pierce at 30. By comparison, the Spurs aren't too old at all -- Tim Duncan is 32, Manu Ginobili is 30 and Tony Parker is 26. Bring in another lively body or two to fill in around them and they could be celebrating title No. 5.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/07/11/weekly.countdown/2.html

smrattler
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
How in the world do we "make another run" at JR Smith? With what money?

How about Josh Smith, how'd that be?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I think he was referring to trying to trade for him, since the Spurs had tried to previously...

smrattler
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
In theory, what kind of trade scenario would bring him here and why would the Nuggets do it?

I know they are over salary cap and would like to reduce payroll. What contracts do we have to play with like that?

whottt
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't know but JR Smith would be exactly what this team needs...way better than signing Magette IMO.

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Amazing, isn't it?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
uh no. Nuggets won't trade JR to SA unless it involves TP or Manu :lol

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Depends on what they are looking for, since they lost Najera, could send them Bonner, which has a 3 million dollar contract that expires the year after next and fills the exact same role as Najera, but with better shooting and for cheaper. Or we might be able to get him using our trade exception if he only winds up taking the QO, although I do not know if the TE is quite enough to make it work. And then he would also be a free agent next year so that is risky.. I am not sure...

nil.ball
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM

c'mon..

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:43 PM
But I doubt they let him go, unless Karl really pushes for it....

xtremesteven33
07-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Finley,Udoka and 2nd round draft pick for JR Smith

21_Blessings
07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
The NBA is quivering in their collective boots after the Roger Mason signing.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Finley,Udoka and 2nd round draft pick for JR Smith

That is actually reasonable...they get some nice veteran leadership along with a good defender and draft pick...that would be fair imo

just be trading upside vs. proven leadership, something Denver desperately needs.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2008, 02:50 PM
denver needs a bullet in the head

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 02:52 PM
agreed, I would also love to see Melo on the Spurs. Theoretically, this is the type of environment where he could really grow. Learn how to win and play with a team. Have a coach hold him accountable. Won't happen, but I bet it would work out nicely. Could be that versatile scorer and rebounder we need.

montgod
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM

More like... Joe SMith.

T Park
07-11-2008, 02:57 PM

You've officially lost whatever respect on this board you had.

Be gone.

SequSpur
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
:loser

Tully365
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM

Just like concierges in hotels all over the country.

picnroll
07-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Looks like JR will be playing out the year and become an unrestricted free agent.

smrattler
07-11-2008, 03:05 PM
More like... Joe SMith.

Since we got Mason and he's used to playing with Agent Zero... how about Agent Smith?

http://www.scene-stealers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/agent_smith.jpg

SenorSpur
07-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Just like concierges in hotels all over the country.

I thought most of the female hotel concierges across the country were trembling because of Kobe?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2008, 03:15 PM
You've officially lost whatever respect on this board you had.

Be gone.

mate, it was a joke :lol ....... what colour font do i need to use on this board.

You need to stop taking comments so seriously.

xtremesteven33
07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
realistically, do yall think there is any possible way we can land JR Smith?

i know it cant be a contract cause we know we dont have enough money and the Nuggets will match anything below 5 Mill.

any trade ideas? i said FInley,Udoka and a 2nd round draft pick....

703 Spurz
07-11-2008, 03:24 PM
2 Teams to watch

2. The Spurs. Having paid 27-year-old former Wizards guard Roger Mason $7 million for two years, San Antonio is one or two more complementary moves away from contending for another championship next season. Do they make another run at acquiring J.R. Smith?

Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Jacque Vaughn are the only role players under contract who are older than 31; Ian Mahinmi (21) and Matt Bonner (28) could have meaningful roles. The Celtics just won a championship with Ray Allen at 32, Kevin Garnett at 31 and Paul Pierce at 30. By comparison, the Spurs aren't too old at all -- Tim Duncan is 32, Manu Ginobili is 30 and Tony Parker is 26. Bring in another lively body or two to fill in around them and they could be celebrating title No. 5.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/07/11/weekly.countdown/2.html

So now the Spurs aren't old?

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
mate, it was a joke :lol ....... what colour font do i need to use on this board.

You need to stop taking comments so seriously.

T-Park is a d-bag sometimes, he is what I call a SpursTalk elitist...does not mean any harm, but cannot refrain from being an ass

smrattler
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM
realistically, do yall think there is any possible way we can land JR Smith?

i know it cant be a contract cause we know we dont have enough money and the Nuggets will match anything below 5 Mill.

any trade ideas? i said FInley,Udoka and a 2nd round draft pick....

Ok, bare with me, I'm really slow when it comes to salary cap stuff.

But let me just use fake numbers for now and try to explain why I'm confused about why the Nuggets would do it. Let's ignore the fact that they desperately want JR back or that they have no interest in helping the Spurs.

We know the Nuggets ar over the cap. Let's say they are sitting on $79M payroll right now. Here we have JR Smith, the Spurs want him. If they toss out a 2M/yr contract, they jump on it and match, no problem. If the Spurs can't offer more, they have no leverage.

So, why would the Nuggets listen to a deal from the Spurs that says "here, we have two guys we don't want, they total $5M/yr and they comoe off the books next year... sign JR for that and let's swap".

I mean... am I wrong or wouldn't they now be paying scrubs $10M? Maybe I'm wrong about that? Even if I am, I don't see why the Nuggets would be scared into taking scrubs for the Spurs to get JR when they have no other way of getting him it seems.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok, bare with me, I'm really slow when it comes to salary cap stuff.

But let me just use fake numbers for now and try to explain why I'm confused about why the Nuggets would do it. Let's ignore the fact that they desperately want JR back or that they have no interest in helping the Spurs.

We know the Nuggets ar over the cap. Let's say they are sitting on $79M payroll right now. Here we have JR Smith, the Spurs want him. If they toss out a 2M/yr contract, they jump on it and match, no problem. If the Spurs can't offer more, they have no leverage.

So, why would the Nuggets listen to a deal from the Spurs that says "here, we have two guys we don't want, they total $5M/yr and they comoe off the books next year... sign JR for that and let's swap".

I mean... am I wrong or wouldn't they now be paying scrubs $10M? Maybe I'm wrong about that? Even if I am, I don't see why the Nuggets would be scared into taking scrubs for the Spurs to get JR when they have no other way of getting him it seems.

They would not. This was all just spit-balling. The only way that the Spurs could get J.R. for what has been mentioned is if the Nuggets desperately wanted to get rid of him. Even then, I am sure they could get better in return. Maybe for the trade exception to give them some relief, but I highly doubt it cause it is not that much and I do not think it is quite enough to match the QO for J.R.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-11-2008, 03:54 PM
T-Park is a d-bag sometimes, he is what I call a SpursTalk elitist...does not mean any harm, but cannot refrain from being an ass

:lol You know this already? Its funny watching him against some of the other Spurstalk old timers.

Deep down he is a good bloke but he snaps easily :lol

spurman20
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Denver will never trade Smith to us......they know it would come back to bite them

DPG21920
Exactly right as well. J.R. can just play out next year and then come off the books anyways, so the expiring contracts do not matter, because his is expiring.

xtremesteven33
right now i think JR is making around 2 Mil a year. i dont think the Nuggets will match over 4 Mill a year.

Maybe we can offer 3 Mill and a Bonner/Udoka/Finley?

NuGGeTs-FaN
i'm now begging the Spurs to rip the Nuggets off :lol They are my team BUT i want Karl gone and i want 1 GM, not 3 :lol :drunk

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 03:59 PM
The trades would work financially but not make basketball sense. With contracts having to match up in salaries, expiring contracts are not useful, because J.R.'s is expiring next year anyways. Talent wise, it is not good because J.R. still has so much upside. The only way it would work is if the Nuggets believe 2 things: 1) That J.R. will never reach his potential and is very disruptive and 2) that the Nuggets are close to competing for a title and the subtraction of J.R. and the addition of veteran leadership and shooting from Finley and the defense and hard work of Udoka could be the missing role pieces that puts them over the top. I doubt they believe either.

ducks
07-11-2008, 04:05 PM
i'm now begging the Spurs to rip the Nuggets off :lol They are my team BUT i want Karl gone and i want 1 GM, not 3 :lol :drunk

booner + 3 million for jr smith

macdude06
07-11-2008, 04:12 PM
IF it's salary Denver is worried about i dont think they would want players in return IMO..

could we trade draft picks/right to players/and some kind of money exemption??

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
No, because J.R. comes off the books next year anyways....if he sticks with just the QO that is

oligarchy
07-11-2008, 04:22 PM
IF it's salary Denver is worried about i dont think they would want players in return IMO..

could we trade draft picks/right to players/and some kind of money exemption??

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#69

Buddy Holly
07-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Um... you trade talent for talent.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Um... you trade talent for talent.

Says Chris Wallace

ManuTastic
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM

All too true. :lmao
F'ing Laker fan.

Taking it to the Hole
07-11-2008, 06:34 PM
The problem with JR Smith coming here is really quite simple. Even if you could find a way to bring him here, does he even really want to play for us? Never once have I heard him speak about the Spurs in a fond way to warrant even thinking he might want to come here. JR Smith is just as big a "pipedream" as Maggette was. People need to get over him and fast.

T Park
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM

and you can't refrain from spamming the forum with your stupidity.

and I'm a richer, get it right.

Harry Callahan
07-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Didn't the Spurs trade the contract of a retired Danny Ferry back in 2003 for the expiring contract of Hedo Turkolu in a three way trade with Indiana? Just saying.