PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rican hero Arroyo is grateful for Pistons spot

boutons
02-03-2005, 04:52 PM
DET probably figures somewhere in SA future this season. At least, we play them @DET. and I figure DET has as much chance as MIA to win the EC.

=================================

Puerto Rican hero Arroyo is grateful for Pistons spot

Guard ends up in Detroit after Olympics success, Utah controversy.

By Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

Coach Larry Brown, on Carlos Arroyo: "Carlos can play. I think he's going to fit in here just fine."

AUBURN HILLS -- New Pistons guard Carlos Arroyo has learned there are different degrees of pressure. He has been through it all in the past year and learned a few valuable lessons.

Pressure situation No. 1: Arroyo helped underdog Puerto Rico defeat the United States in the 2004 Athens Olympics, leading his team with 24 points and seven assists. Puerto Rico went wild in celebration, praising Arroyo and his team as the biggest stars in the country.

Pressure situation No. 2: A few months later, Arroyo found himself in Utah Jazz Coach Jerry Sloan's doghouse. Sloan didn't like Arroyo's defense, and in turn, Arroyo didn't like sitting on the bench.

Pressure situation No. 3: Two weeks ago, Arroyo was traded to the Pistons, and he needs to fit in with a team and a coach who is notorious for being tough on point guards.

"I guess the pressure is all relative," Arroyo, 24, said. "I've been through many different experiences this past year. The Olympics was incredible, both for me, and for my team, and Puerto Rico. Utah is something I really don't want to talk about, but I am grateful for the experiences I had there.

"And now, I'm sure I can fit in here. Seems like everybody is really nice, and I'm looking forward to playing for the Pistons."

Arroyo has fit in well, averaging 19.2 minutes in five games. He is also averaging 6.6 points and 3.4 assists, primarily as a substitute for Chauncey Billups or Rip Hamilton.

But Arroyo hit a bump in the road -- actually, he got a bump in the nose -- last weekend. He took an accidental elbow to the face Saturday during a game against the Knicks. He left the game bloodied and discovered later that he has a fractured nose.

Arroyo had surgery Monday and is expected to return this weekend. He will wear a protective mask for the immediate future.

Even with a healing nose, Arroyo still will be counted upon as one of the first people off the Pistons' bench. He is quick, a creative passer, can make three-point shots and brings energy to the floor.

But will he play defense? When Arroyo arrived in Detroit, Coach Larry Brown laid out defensive expectations for Arroyo.

"I think every good coach understands that to win games down the stretch, important games, playoff and championship games, you need to play defense," Arroyo said. "These great coaches, they say that from day one.

"I think everybody's done a great job here. There's been a lot of aggressive defense, and that helped win a championship. And that's what winning teams do.

"I need to be aggressive on the ball, keep my man in front of me. If my man is not in front of me, everybody has to adjust their defense to help."

Brown has been happy with Arroyo.

"He's a great kid. I've been impressed with him for a while," Brown said. "If you see the way that kid played in the Olympics, I've got nothing but the highest respect for him and the Puerto Rican team. Carlos can play. I think he's going to fit in here just fine."

Arroyo is getting accustomed to the cold and snow of Detroit, a huge change from the warmth of his off-season home in Miami or his native Puerto Rico.

He is a star at home and people recognize him immediately. He has been a star since his teens, when he was a young member of the Puerto Rican national team. His NBA career has taken his popularity even higher.

But in Metro Detroit, Arroyo could cruise through the Somerset Collection without being recognized by anyone.

Arroyo finds it ironic that another sports icon in Puerto Rico, Pudge Rodriguez, also makes a living in Detroit.

"I think he's a bigger deal than me," Arroyo said. "Baseball -- those guys are huge back home. Carlos Beltran, Ivan Rodriguez, they are big. Sports means a lot in my country, people are very passionate about it.

"I think that is why it is so great to be here with the Pistons. People know how good the Pistons are, that they are the champions. I am very grateful to be part of them. I think it will be good for me to play with a team of this caliber. I will become a better player, too."

You can reach Joanne C. Gerstner at [email protected].

IX_Equilibrium
02-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Arroyo will do well with with the Pistons. They will be tough the 2nd half of the season.

boutons
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I think the Champions enjoyed their laurels and fucked around before Christmas, causing Larry to complain to the press about having to "coach efffort", but they have been getting their defense up to last year's level, meaning the EC champion will have to go through DET, but I bet DET will win the EC, since I doubt any EC offense can beat DET's defense. But DET will also have to solve their sometimes extreme difficulties in scoring.