PDA

View Full Version : Who is Roger Mason??? Is he the NEW BRENT BARRY???

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Spurs fans - STOP worrying about Brent Barry signing with the Rockets - last year he was 'injury prone' and turned 36 - look at the videos below to discover the NEW "BRENT BARRY" of 9 years ago (Mason 27 vs Barry 36) - the only difference is Mason is younger and can play better defense - he can also pass the ball as well - see video 2 below, in video 3 he talks about FREE agency and his chance to play elsewhere (the coaches can work with him and he will fit just GREAT with us):

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-X6-3fmFkvT8/roger_mason_jr_mix_by_longer/
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-cJX2aUH81xk/toronto_raptors_vs_washington_wizards_jan_29_08/
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-nUxdtakO_E4/roger_mason_on_free_agency/

I believe the Spurs secured a GREAT MAN who can play easily 1 and 2 and give Manu lots of rest during the regular season:

He started his primary school career at Grace Day School in Kensington, Maryland, then played collegiately at the University of Virginia (UVA). In 2001, he was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Third Team. Mason set a free throw percentage record in UVA history with 86.0 percent made and is currently third on the ACC's all-time list for free throw percentage!

Part of the Interview with him:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-n3M...ngton_wizards/

Mason was selected by the Chicago Bulls in the 2002 NBA Draft after his junior year with the 31st overall pick. He played for the Bulls from the 2002-03 NBA season until the 2003-04 season (3 games only) and was traded to the Toronto Raptors who released him a few months later.

He went to play in Europe and was signed by the Olympiacos team from Greece in the 2004-2005 season, in the 2005-2006 season he went to play in Israel and was signed by Hapoel Jerusalem.

In July 2006 he signed with the Japanese OSG Phoenix team, but after a few days from signing he was signed by the Washington Wizards on a trial contract...we know the rest...He played for the Washington Wizards since. His role significantly expanded during the 2007-08 season when superstar Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels were injured. He responded by putting up the best numbers in his NBA career...

GO SPURS!!! GO MANU!!!

ChumpDumper
07-11-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm glad someone finally got up the nerve to start a thread about this guy.

Solid D
07-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Isn't Roger Mason a University back east?

Brutalis
07-11-2008, 05:53 PM
You tell us Manu my poor ankle Ginobili.

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
This is not baseball, how the hell are we supposed to give a big contract extension to essentially the equivalent of an ace baseball closer in Ginobili. If we have to limit his minutes so much, is it worth it. Big money players need to be on the floor, I wonder what the F.O. is thinking with regards to Gino...

rascal
07-11-2008, 05:58 PM
No, Roger Mason is not the new Brent Barry. Roger Mason is Roger Mason. Its time to move on.

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Isn't Roger Mason a University back east?

He started his primary school career at Grace Day School in Kensington, Maryland, then played collegiately at the University of Virginia (UVA). In 2001, he was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Third Team. Mason set a free throw percentage record in UVA history with 86.0 percent made and is currently third on the ACC's all-time list for free throw percentage!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-n3M7y4MokIY/interview_with_roger_mason_jr_of_the_washington_wi zards/

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
No, Roger Mason is not the new Brent Barry. Roger Mason is Roger Mason. Its time to move on.

whatever...The point is we've GOT a great guy - I saw so many posts with people crying for Br. Barry...non-sense...

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm glad someone finally got up the nerve to start a thread about this guy.

Yea, thanks!

BTW, for your info, Mason was selected by the Chicago Bulls in the 2002 NBA Draft after his junior year with the 31st overall pick. He played for the Bulls from the 2002-03 NBA season until the 2003-04 season (3 games only) and was traded to the Toronto Raptors who released him a few months later.

He went to play in Europe and was signed by the Olympiacos team from Greece in the 2004-2005 season, in the 2005-2006 season he went to play in Israel and was signed by Hapoel Jerusalem.

In July 2006 he signed with the Japanese OSG Phoenix team, but after a few days from signing he was signed by the Washington Wizards on a trial contract...we know the rest...He played for the Washington Wizards since. His role significantly expanded during the 2007-08 season when superstar Gilbert Arenas and Antonio Daniels were injured. He responded by putting up the best numbers in his NBA career...

Solid D
07-11-2008, 06:14 PM

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-n3M7y4MokIY/interview_with_roger_mason_jr_of_the_washington_wi zards/

:lol I asked (not serously, of course) if Roger Mason IS a University...not if he went to a University back east. :rollin

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
:lol I asked (not serously, of course) if Roger Mason IS a University...not if he went to a University back east. :rollin

not serIously, of course, it's not...

ducks
07-11-2008, 06:20 PM

people say kobe is the new mj all the time
why do you not get your head out of your ass

Manu_Ginobili

IT IS NOT - George Mason University (also referred to as GMU or Mason) is a large public university in the United States. GMU's main campus is in Fairfax, Virginia. Additional campuses are in Arlington County, Prince William County, Loudoun County and another in Ras al-Khaimah, United Arab Emirates.
:lmao:lmao:lmao:rollin:rollin:rollin

Solid D
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor296/fullscale/CS2071-256-c.jpg

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 06:21 PM
http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store/Vendor296/fullscale/CS2071-256-c.jpg

correct...let's change the subject for the Mason University - IT IS BORING, PLEASE!

Solid D
07-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Forgive my humor of the United States. It is worse to understand than polandprzem humor.

Manu_Ginobili
07-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Forgive my humor of the United States. It is worse to understand than polandprzem humor.

that's OK, no hard feelings - I feel your pain for the falling dollar...hope things can get better over there...

raspsa
07-11-2008, 07:17 PM
I think Mason will be a contributor amd fits the team's character and defensive philosophy well.
From what i read though he really doesn't have the ability to create his own shot and is most effective as a perimeter shooter. Assign someone to shadow him and you can shut him down. I would have wished for a more creative offensive player, even at the expense of being a weaker defender. The Spurs need someone who can step in during one of their scoring droughts and be agressive, someone with a scorer's mentality.
Still the Spurs could have done worse, I guess.

TJastal
07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I get a chuckle out of ppl pointing out his great FT %, when the guy gets to the line maybe once a game if lucky

:lmao

Solid D
07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I get a chuckle out of ppl pointing out his great FT %, when the guy gets to the line maybe once a game if lucky

:lmao
True...but if he's getting them at the end of games, like Brent and Fin got to do to close them out, then that will be all good.

GrandeDavid
07-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Go Roger!

Sissiborgo
07-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Yeah he coukd be hes quicker though:D

DPG21920
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
He should be fine as long as he defends....

Manu_Ginobili
07-12-2008, 01:42 AM
He should be fine as long as he defends....

he will perform better than most people think...

Tully365
07-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Mason's stats, especially his shooting percentages, took a step up last year and were the best of his career-- I think this is a very good sign, as last year he played more minutes than ever before, and because of the injury to Arenas, was also under more pressure to perform than in the past. But if I had to predict a future Barry-like shooter, it would be George Hill. His FG%, 3PT%, and FT% were all outstanding for a guy that carried his team, took the most shots, and attracted the most attention from the other teams' defenses. The big test will be how he reacts with the step up to NBA talent compared to lower mid-major college talent-- but in terms of pure shooting ability, he's definitely gifted.

His numbers from last year:

2 PT FGs: 59%
3 PT FGs: 46%
FTs: 83%

To shoot 59% for 2 pt. field goals is nothing short of spectacular, in any setting. To do it as a 6'2" guard is all the more amazing.

Mr. Body
07-12-2008, 04:28 AM
To shoot 59% for 2 pt. field goals is nothing short of spectacular, in any setting. To do it as a 6'2" guard is all the more amazing.

They're very positive, but let's not go overboard. His competition was mostly poor.

jesterbobman
07-12-2008, 04:57 AM
They're very positive, but let's not go overboard. His competition was mostly poor.

Still the same sized hoop at the same height, on a basketball court.

Mr. Body
07-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Whoops, I thought we were still jocking George Hill. Instead we're jocking Roger Mason in this thread.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I guess you have knocking every Spurs' acquisition covered.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2008, 11:51 AM
If we have to limit his minutes so much, is it worth it. Big money players need to be on the floor, I wonder what the F.O. is thinking with regards to Gino...

They're probably thinking if he's healthy they'd have five trophies right now.

But you've convinced me, we should waive him.

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 11:58 AM

How often was he getting to the line in college per minutes played vs. his post-college career?

angel_luv
07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Spurs fans - STOP worrying about Brent Barry signing with the Rockets

I haven't gotten to say so yet, so I will say it once and let it go.

I miss the Mango Tree!!!! :cry

All right.... Welcome Roger Mason. :)

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Still the same sized hoop at the same height, on a basketball court.

[QUOTE They're very positive, but let's not go overboard. His competition was mostly poor. [/QUOTE]

Let's not forget he was recruited by Florida. He decided family was more important -- a rare quality among today's youth. And from hearing his interviews and reading comments he has made, he appears to be cut from a different mold and more mature than other players his age coming out of college.

p.s. I like the Mason acquisition. With the league moving towards the small ball concept (Hornets gave us fits), imo it appears the FO is looking for players with the ability to play it, while still being able to defend. Neither Barry, nor Finley nor Horry fit that style anymore, and I suspect Barry wanted more PT.

Manu_Ginobili
07-12-2008, 12:27 PM
I haven't gotten to say so yet, so I will say it once and let it go.

I miss the Mango Tree!!!! :cry

All right.... Welcome Roger Mason. :)

that's very honest... -:)))

dbestpro
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Mason is the new Michael Redd.

DPG21920
07-12-2008, 04:08 PM
They're probably thinking if he's healthy they'd have five trophies right now.

But you've convinced me, we should waive him.

Do you like making wild acusations towards me... why are you always such a dick to me. You are no one special, I don't care how long you have been here. Where did I say waive him, cut him or trade him?????? PLEASE, ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU CAN SHOW ME ONE POST WHERE I SAID THE THINGS YOU SAY ABOUT ME I WILL LEAVE SPURSTALK FOREVER..If you can provide any proof, I will never post again. You said you hate "newbs" like me, well here is your chance to get rid of at least one. All you have to do, is find me a post where I said we should "waive", "trade" or "not re-sign" Manu and I will leave forever.

I posed a question, that if Manu has to have his minutes monitored so heavily, will they look to wait to extend him or give him a big contract...

But please except my challenge, or else quit being a dick and putting words in everyones mouths. Quit attacking posters, and generally ruining SpursTalk for the "newbs"....The goal is to grow the website for collective Spurs fans, not chase people away...

Manu_Ginobili
07-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Do you like making wild acusations towards me... why are you always such a dick to me. You are no one special, I don't care how long you have been here. Where did I say waive him, cut him or trade him?????? PLEASE, ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU CAN SHOW ME ONE POST WHERE I SAID THE THINGS YOU SAY ABOUT ME I WILL LEAVE SPURSTALK FOREVER..If you can provide any proof, I will never post again. You said you hate "newbs" like me, well here is your chance to get rid of at least one. All you have to do, is find me a post where I said we should "waive", "trade" or "not re-sign" Manu and I will leave forever.

I posed a question, that if Manu has to have his minutes monitored so heavily, will they look to wait to extend him or give him a big contract...

But please except my challenge, or else quit being a dick and putting words in everyones mouths. Quit attacking posters, and generally ruining SpursTalk for the "newbs"....The goal is to grow the website for collective Spurs fans, not chase people away...

completely agree - this post should be dedicated to few other individuals as well, who are doing the same thing...:nope:nope:nope

jimo2305
07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
i looked at the news of signing mason and i just dropped my head and nodded in disappointment..

quite frankly tho.. on the bright side.. we are obviously getting younger guys.. this is a start.. im no soothsayer or anything and i hope these acquisitions pan out for us.. honestly ever since the pwnage by splitter and the foul after barry's shot.. every news that came out about the spurs has just been downhill for me..

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Find another team then.

tlongII
07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Harvey Mason used to play drums for Herbie Hancock.

Marcus Bryant
07-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks for that useless piece of old man trivia.