PDA

View Full Version : Adopt A Sniper

Nbadan
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
MILWAUKEE -- Marquette University administrators shut down a table set up by the school's College Republicans this week to take orders for bracelets and other trinkets so money could be raised to buy special equipment for American snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Brandon Henak, the group's chairman and a Marquette junior, said the College Republicans chose to promote the "Adopt a Sniper" program based in Pulaski after their request for setting up a general "support the troops" table at the school's Alumni Memorial Union had been approved.

. . .

But Marquette leaders were unhappy they had not been told of the exact nature of the College Republicans' efforts, and the wording on some of the signs and the merchandise was bothersome, the statement said.

The university said one slogan was "1 Shot, 1 Kill, No Remorse, I Decide."

"In the context of the university's Jesuit, Catholic mission, we could not allow fund raising in the student union for a group whose rhetoric regarding 'snipers' could be widely misinterpreted as having a cavalier attitude toward the taking of a human life," the statement said. "In this case the display of the materials that promote the use of violence without appropriate background information was unacceptable."

South Florida (http://www.southflorida.com/news/sfl-23adoptasniper,0,18418.story?coll=sfe-guide-headlines2)

I guess that screws Junior Republican plans for a "kick women and Gays on the ground" table.

Useruser666
02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Boy that's a stretch.

Clandestino
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
that's bullshit... the snipers are protecting the lives of their fellow soldiers...

dcole50
02-03-2005, 07:04 PM
can't they just ditch the slogan and keep the program?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-03-2005, 07:15 PM
I think the slogan's great, and it's pathetic that Dan is trying to make the reach he is.

Those guys (snipers) have saved countless lives, both in the past and now in Afghanistan and Iraq.

dcole50
02-03-2005, 07:21 PM
i have no problem with the slogan either. but if the university won't accept it, then i think it would be best to alter the slogan and keep the program alive.

Clandestino
02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
hell, yeah..these college kids are doing right... they are getting nce free press...i bet they can raise a lot now!

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-03-2005, 07:54 PM
They should take their school to court, claim it's infringing upon their free speech.

That's what the liberals would do.

Clandestino
02-03-2005, 08:00 PM
They should take their school to court, claim it's infringing upon their free speech.

That's what the liberals would do.

exactly!

dcole50
02-03-2005, 08:02 PM
since the university mentions the "jesuit, catholic mission" i assume it's a private college. having attended a private college for a semester, i have learned they can basically do whatever the fuck they want.

if they can afford the attorneys (and attending a private college, who knows, maybe they can) then it could help their cause.

or ... just change the slogan to please the idiots at the university.

exstatic
02-04-2005, 02:20 AM

It's a private institution, and they should be able to so what they want.[/REAL_GOPers]

Yonivore
02-04-2005, 09:45 AM
It's a private institution, and they should be able to so what they want.[/REAL_GOPers]
Actually, that should be [/REAL_LIBERTARIAN] and, I agree. Don't go to school there if you don't like their policies, practices, or behavior.