PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Ginobili Might Still Play In Olympics

duncan228
07-11-2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071208.spursNOTES.en.4008416.html

Spurs: Ginobili might still play in Olympics
By Jeff McDonald

It appears Manu Ginobili could be leaning toward playing in the Olympic Games after all.

After struggling all summer with a jammed left ankle that cast his availability for Argentina's national team in doubt, Ginobili told reporters in his home country he was optimistic he would be able to play next month in Beijing.

“Today, I feel I am more in than out of the Olympics,” he said Thursday.

Two weeks after the Spurs' playoff ouster, Ginobili's ankle was so sore that coach Gregg Popovich said the guard should “definitely not” play in Beijing if it did not improve.

Now, it appears Ginobili might meet that criterion.

Last week, Spurs assistant trainer Chad Bergman accompanied Ginobili back to Argentina, where the national team has begun scrimmaging in preparation for the Olympics. Ginobili has not participated in those workouts, but the Spurs have been pleased with his progress so far.

No timetable has been set for Ginobili's decision.

“He's progressing,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “When it's time to play, he'll make a decision then.”

El Contusion II: The injury news wasn't quite so good for the Spurs' other Argentine Olympian.

Fabricio Oberto, the Spurs' on-again, off-again starting center, suffered a bruised left quadriceps in a scrimmage against Poland earlier this week.

The injury is considered minor, and Oberto is expected to miss only a week of workouts.

Bye-bye Barry: Friday marked Brent Barry's first official day with the Houston Rockets.

After four seasons with the Spurs, Barry signed a two-year deal with the Rockets this week. In doing so, he could become the third Barry to finish his career in Houston, joining father Rick and brother Jon.

“Brent and his family have been big part of last four years, of two championships and a great locker room,” Buford said. “He'll be sorely missed.”

Still, Buford couldn't resist one last good-natured gig at the Rockets' newest guard Friday.

“We wish him well,” Buford said, “but hopefully we'll be kicking his butt a few times during the season.”

wildchild
07-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I say again. Why Ginobili and Oberto will play in the Olympics Games? There is nothing Pop RC can do about it?
The injuries, besides these guys won't get much rest at the summer. The Spurs are prepared to take that risk?

Sissiborgo
07-12-2008, 08:39 AM
yeah true

Darthkiller
07-12-2008, 09:19 AM
dude, manu is the flag carrier for argentina in the olympic, no way he wont play.

exstatic
07-12-2008, 09:40 AM
dude, manu is the flag carrier for argentina in the olympic, no way he wont play.

An eighty something year old American who dropped candy from his plane during the Berlin airlift was selected to carry the German flag one Olympics. It's an honorary position that isn't even necessarily an athlete.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
i'm trying to recall someone else that was a flag carrier that was there and had no intention of playing because of an injury. i wanna say it was from here, but i could be wrong. that might be some trivia.

Manudona
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
I say again. Why Ginobili and Oberto will play in the Olympics Games? There is nothing Pop RC can do about it?

Yes, he can trade them both. That will come with the added value of making many posters around here very happy.

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Not if he can't walk. I hope he resprains the ankle the first time he practices. He'll then know to shut it down until training camp. Doesn't the idiot (Manu) recall that his whole rookie year was screwed up after he sprained an ankle coming down on Dirk?

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 03:10 PM
You know Pop probably hates this; sure he can't do anything about it now... just wait though for a couple of seasons; don't be surprised if Manu gets traded. At some point in the not too distant future they will either trade or cut Oberto...

itzsoweezee
07-12-2008, 04:33 PM
i hope he plays.

mrspurs
07-12-2008, 04:56 PM
ok so now we know we will get when manu returns....a tired manu....he rested all summer last summer....and he still didnt have enough gas.....who knows maybe him playing and winning the gold might make him supermanu, and his return will come with a cape.......the whole idea is dumb if you ask me...there is a price you pay when buy a someone from the otherside...and we know it all to well...

polandprzem
07-12-2008, 05:02 PM
It is summer time so they can do whatever they want

period!

Manudona
07-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Not if he can't walk. I hope he resprains the ankle the first time he practices. He'll then know to shut it down until training camp. Doesn't the idiot (Manu) recall that his whole rookie year was screwed up after he sprained an ankle coming down on Dirk?

If you think He is an idiot that will not bring it next year, start the campaign to get him traded now. I'll help you with a poll

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 05:46 PM
He's going to play. We have to deal with it. Hope Roger Mason will work out and we can limit Manu's minutes to around 24 (yes, half the game) for most regular season games.

endrity
07-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Playing for the National team is something many athletes around the world pride themselves on. As tough as it is for Spurs fans to deal with it, you are not new to the whole thing.

The Mavs deal with this every summer, but it takes watching only one game to understand how much joy Dirk has when he plays for his country.

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Manu is going to say that he is good to go and can play no matter how much pain he feels..

ChumpDumper
07-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow, the Spurs are going to lose a lot of games early.