PDA

View Full Version : What Duncan Told Maggette After He Turned The Spurs Down

duncan228
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
A piece from an article in the San Francisco Chronicle. The quote was too good to pass on.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/11/SP5K11NTJT.DTL

Arriving fresh from a dynasty that never was

...But Maggette knows what changed. He went north to Oakland, for five years and $50 million, a consolation prize for the Warriors, who wanted Brand more. He took more money than he was offered in San Antonio ("Tim Duncan wished me well, and told me not to take my whippin' personally," Maggette said) to join a more nebulous situation with Golden State.

Sense
07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
nice... I love that quote...

I wonder if this offseason is also pissing off the Spurs... maybe Duncan will bring fire to the season

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Priceless!

Tully365
07-12-2008, 12:55 AM
For a guy who just signed the richest contract of his life, Maggette doesn't sound very excited. It must be bittersweet to look ahead to being a wealthy player on a mediocre team that has little chance of doing much damage, at least for a couple of years.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 01:59 AM
For a guy who just signed the richest contract of his life, Maggette doesn't sound very excited. It must be bittersweet to look ahead to being a wealthy player on a mediocre team that has little chance of doing much damage, at least for a couple of years.

Hey Maggette has about 10 million reasons to love the Bay area.

The name is Rick James BEYATCH!

Avitus1
07-12-2008, 02:04 AM
I love it when Merlin says something awesome like this.

DMX7
07-12-2008, 02:06 AM
good stuff. I wish Tim would say more stuff like this to the media so they could see he has a personality.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 02:10 AM
Typical Tim

Recall his words to Finley, when Fin was mulling over offers from the Suns, Heat and Spurs. I believe the statement went something like this: "we'd love to have you, but we don't NEED you"

mystargtr34
07-12-2008, 02:23 AM
:lol good stuff... dont take it personally CoMa

milkyway21
07-12-2008, 02:32 AM
("Tim Duncan wished me well, and told me not to take my whippin' personally," Maggette said)
... :lmao

The Truth #6
07-12-2008, 02:43 AM
Typical Tim

Recall his words to Finley, when Fin was mulling over offers from the Suns, Heat and Spurs. I believe the statement went something like this: "we'd love to have you, but we don't NEED you"

I thought he may have said that to NVE as well.

timvp
07-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Duncan sometimes comes across as aloof but his thirst for victory is undeniable. He's not fast, he's not quick, he can't jump, he's not physically imposing and he's not even overly skilled at any one aspect of the game. But when it comes to pure dedication to winning championships above all else, I don't know an athlete in the history of sport who has him beat.

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Timmy, nice job. :tu

NewJerSpur
07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
Man I love Tim.

:toast:king

duncan228
07-12-2008, 03:16 AM
But when it comes to pure dedication to winning championships above all else, I don't know an athlete in the history of sport who has him beat.

You don't know one because there isn't one. :)

John_C
07-12-2008, 04:17 AM
I'll be really mighty disappointed with the Spurs if they don't beat to pulp GSW in their first meeting, and shut down CM just to make a point.

angelbelow
07-12-2008, 04:19 AM
haha thats awesome.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Tim Duncan is a TruthSayer.

Gotta love him.

GEICO Caveman
07-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Tim Duncan is a bitch.

Ice009
07-12-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Tim

That was for Nick Van Exel. Tim was so right that we probably would have been better off with out him ;).

wildbill2u
07-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Nice to see that Timmy is still talking to prospects. Whether it is by request of the FO, or on his own, the respect other players have for him should help negotiations.

In this case Magette went for the money and if he could make $5,000,000 more for five years somewhere else, then it's easy to see his position.

bigfundamental21
07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Awesome!

Thanks for sharing, duncan228!

rj215
07-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Tim Duncan is a bitch.

And Kobe tastes Shaq's ass....STFU

Harry Callahan
07-12-2008, 07:52 AM
To quote former NBA player (maybe "Bad News Barnes" or a former Buffalo Braves player) - "The Ws and Ls don't show up on my paycheck".

Enjoy the mess and the money Corey.

Brutalis
07-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Nicer than what I would've said.

Manu_Ginobili
07-12-2008, 08:07 AM
A piece from an article in the San Francisco Chronicle. The quote was too good to pass on.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/07/11/SP5K11NTJT.DTL

Arriving fresh from a dynasty that never was

...But Maggette knows what changed. He went north to Oakland, for five years and $50 million, a consolation prize for the Warriors, who wanted Brand more. He took more money than he was offered in San Antonio ("Tim Duncan wished me well, and told me not to take my whippin' personally," Maggette said) to join a more nebulous situation with Golden State.

who cares what Tim told him - bottom line - Maggette is not coming, but we shall be happy with Mason...

exstatic
07-12-2008, 09:29 AM
who cares what Tim told him - bottom line - Maggette is not coming, but we shall be happy with Mason...

Obviously, YOU DO, since you clicked on this clearly titled thread.

Ghazi
07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Maggette is a tad overrated anyway, the guy has a very apathetic demeanor on the court and his numbers shot up ominously in his contract year. It wouldn't surprise me if he put up lethargic statistics now that he has his big payday.

Spuradicator
07-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Tim told him whats what.

mrsmaalox
07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I'll be really mighty disappointed with the Spurs if they don't beat to pulp GSW in their first meeting, and shut down CM just to make a point.

Not to worry! :toast

mrspurs
07-12-2008, 10:22 AM

this is what they teach you in clipper land....get hurt, make tons of cash, and you get front row seats.....cory woulda brought that disease with him, im one of those ones whos happy we didnt sign him....very happy

tlongII
07-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Duncan sometimes comes across as aloof but his thirst for victory is undeniable. He's not fast, he's not quick, he can't jump, he's not physically imposing and he's not even overly skilled at any one aspect of the game. But when it comes to pure dedication to winning championships above all else, I don't know an athlete in the history of sport who has him beat.

That's where I disagree. Duncan is a BIG dude! If he's matched up against a PF he simply overwhelms them with his size. He must weigh in the 260-270 range.

exstatic
07-12-2008, 10:33 AM

There's only one name that pops into my head and that's Bill Russell.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-12-2008, 10:34 AM
The Spurs are boring. [/dumbass ESPN, Yahoo! hacks]

boutons_
07-12-2008, 10:36 AM
So the Spurs' record vs GSW in 08/09 will be? 4-0, 2-2, 1-3, 0-4?

Tim better get his Maggette-whippin done in the season, since GSW may not make the playoffs.

In his twilight years, Tim has shown no fire until the playoffs start.

GrandeDavid
07-12-2008, 12:03 PM
The Spurs are gonna come out with renewed vigor and tear shit up next season. Get ready for ring # 5, so stop your whiny ass bitching, to all the negative fans around here.

El_Mago
07-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Jordan?

Tiger Woods?

whottt
07-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Duncan evidentally has seen this movie:

http://www.ziyue.com/poster/h/HarlemNights.jpg

That's a Jack Jenkins quote from that movie...minus "ass" in front the whuppin' part and minus the stuttering.

"T-t-tt-t-tttt-Try not to tt-t-t-take this ass wh-wh-wh-whuppin personally"

That's one of my favorite quotes ever.

michaelwcho
07-12-2008, 12:56 PM

He used to be overly skilled at the bank shot, but he seems to have let that one slide. His skill set is strangely amorphous. Basically, he does almost everything at a just sub-elite level. It adds up to a monster, but is somewhat underwhelming at times.

picnroll
07-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Russell
Kareem
Bird
Magic
Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Ali
Mayweather
Marciano
Tiger
Jack Nicklaus
Montana
Sampras
Brady
Federer

Thats enough for now. A couple of those guys have even gone through Duncan to win titles. Also, those were some arrogant ass statements by Frankenstien Duncan.

Don't think you can say any of these guys is more committed to winning or works harder at his game.

And in term of arrogant statement your boy Kobe says about 30 or 40 more obnoxious trash talking statements a game than Duncan has in his entire career little fellow.

nickdakoolkat
07-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Maggette will also love living in the Bay Area for all of these reasons: The Weather, the nightlife, and the groupies (although they are all over the world)... but anyway obviously the Warriors arent in a position to contend for much more than a playoff birth as they stand, but we have a young nucleus and you never know how good we could be in a few years barring any potential FA signings...I dunno I hope he is happy here in the Bay and I hope he will help contribute to our improvement over the next few seasons.

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
I thought he may have said that to NVE as well.

Too bad NVE didn't take it to heart. We're still searching for that backup PG that was right under Pop's nose but who is in Sac Town now.

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 01:06 PM
He used to be overly skilled at the bank shot, but he seems to have let that one slide. His skill set is strangely amorphous. Basically, he does almost everything at a just sub-elite level. It adds up to a monster, but is somewhat underwhelming at times.

I'm amazed he has never developed, or was instructed to develop, an unblockable baseline turnaround a la Hakeem. He would have been even more of a superstar.

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Maggette will also love living in the Bay Area for all of these reasons: The Weather, the nightlife, and the groupies (although they are all over the world)...

...and don't forget the queers.

:lmao

CaptainLate
07-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with you. Those statements sound like they would come from Kobe. But since they are from Duncan, you guys think they are great quotes. You cant deny Duncan his props, but to put him in the category of winnners like Russell, Ali, Magic, Bird, Tiger, and so on is going overboard.

B/c you are a Flaker fan, you cannot admit the truth. But, plainly, among the pundits and players it is agreed that TD is one of the best to ever play the game of basketball. Had he played in NY, he'd be bigger than most of the sports personalities (golf is a skill, not a sport) you've named above. Had the love of the almighty dollar not been the root of the evil of expansion, by the time his career is over, then TD, like Russell, would would probably have played on a talented team that had won 10 or more titles. As it is, he could win 5-7 titles depending on what the FO surrounds him with in 2010.

WildcardManu
07-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Geico Caveman is a bitch.

Fixed.

WildcardManu
07-12-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree with you. Those statements sound like they would come from Kobe. But since they are from Duncan, you guys think they are great quotes. You cant deny Duncan his props, but to put him in the category of winnners like Russell, Ali, Magic, Bird, Tiger, and so on is going overboard. Hell, in a sport where one punch can end a career, Marciano never lost a fight in the toughest sport of all sports. Magic carried his team to the title his rookie season when Kareem went down. Magic won a high school title, a NCAA title, and a NBA title in a four year span, and was barely 20 years old. Duncan was still getting beat up in college at 20. Russell actually coached one of his NBA titles while leading his team on the court.

Also, Duncan never won a college title, and he stayed four years.

trying to undervalue Duncan in a Spurs forum will only get you flamed.

carrecaminos
07-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Why? because he wanted more money?

We aren't the players mecca.

Sissiborgo
07-12-2008, 01:36 PM
That's Duncan

carrecaminos
07-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Russell
Kareem
Bird
Magic
Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Ali
Mayweather
Marciano
Tiger
Jack Nicklaus
Montana
Sampras
Brady
Federer

Thats enough for now. A couple of those guys have even gone through Duncan to win titles. Also, those were some arrogant ass statements by Frankenstien Duncan.

Fakers fans can kiss my hairy ass.

Fuck Kobe

Buddy Holly
07-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Duncan has lead the Spurs to four titles while Kobe has lead the Lakers to zero and co-lead with Shaq to three.

Yet you are fucking dumb enough to rate Kobe higher than Duncan. lol

polandprzem
07-12-2008, 02:07 PM

You don't know about other ports don't you

timvp
07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Shaq
Kobe
ROFL. Yeah, Kobe is so dedicated to championships that he ran off the player who carried him to his only championships. And Shaq is so dedicated to championships that he's been out of shape since his rookie season. Can't get anything past Laker Fan :tu

There are sportsmen who I'd say are as dedicated as Duncan but it'd be pretty hard to find one more dedicated than Duncan.

exstatic
07-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I thought Kareem was the funny one. He was probably no more dedicated to b-ball and winning than Five Oh. If you suddenly put the rest of Showtime around DRob, he'd have won a fistful of rings, too. :lol

SouthernBrew
07-12-2008, 02:44 PM

I'm glad I'm not imagining this..

During these playoffs his lack of the bank shot really struck me, I'm not in any position to question Tim Duncan but it seemed like he could have used that bank shot in these playoffs...especially against NO when he was having some trouble driving to the hoop

Taking it to the Hole
07-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Tim's a STUD like always. Going to miss seeing him play when he retires. It is going to be a huge void in a lot of San Antonians lives. I just hope he gets to be as lucky as Robinson was in his last years, and wins a championship to cap off everything.

Taking it to the Hole
07-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Oh, and not to mention Duncans pathetic performance for his country, and lack of will to win a gold medal. Shaq brought home the gold... and so will Kobe.

So I see Kobe is going to be the only player on the Olympic team to bring home gold? Funny how we are only sending one player to win gold for us all.:lmao

Yeah, and FIBA rules are different than NBA rules. Tim never cared for FIBA rules because they are not friendly to post players like him.

If your going to tell me Shaq has more skill than Tim, your beyond retarded and if your going to tell me Kobe has more of a desire to win than Tim does, then you obviously need to put the crack down for a second.

Typical FAKER FAN...deluded to the end.
:flag:

tmtcsc
07-12-2008, 03:36 PM

This guy:

http://www.manuginobilisworld.com/pictures/manu_ginobili3.jpg

rj215
07-12-2008, 04:21 PM
The only categories where Kobe has Duncan beat is raping girls and throwing teammates under the bus....just remember Kobe fans:

2 MVPS > 1
3 Finals MVPS > 0
and most importantly 4 titles > 3 (where Shaq was the man)

Granted Kobe might win another title someday but it'll because another center (Bynum) has to carry is ass to a championship....

peskypesky
07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I thought Kareem was the funny one. He was probably no more dedicated to b-ball and winning than Five Oh. If you suddenly put the rest of Showtime around DRob, he'd have won a fistful of rings, too. :lol

Hey, I love DRob, but you're not seriously comparing him to Kareem are you? If we Spurs fans don't like it when Lakers fans compare Kobe to Jordan, we shouldn't be doing the same type of thing.

meestahmeestah
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I thought Kareem was the funny one.

Hell yes, haven't you seen Kareem in the movie "Airplane"?:tu

spursfan09
07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
This thread was awesome, until the Laker trolls started spreading thier nonsense. If Tim Duncan was a Laker they would be singing his praises. They would definitly say he was the greatest PF in history. Instead they are blinded by the bright yellow color the Lakers wear for uniforms.

polandprzem
07-12-2008, 05:24 PM
There are sportsmen who I'd say are as dedicated as Duncan but it'd be pretty hard to find one more dedicated than Duncan.

Tim is as much dedicated as you can ask from a sportsmen.
But there are some sports where you pushing your body to the absolute limit on training and never gave up no matter what. Like combat sports (fighting).
And you could see it bare eye what are they going through.
In basketball it's hard to see the dedication, and especially you won't see it if you are not a Spurs fan, from TimDuncan.

In basketball I think you can find a guys like Bird, Thomas, Russell which were amazingly dedicated to the sport they were participating in.

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
This thread was awesome, until the Laker trolls started spreading thier nonsense. If Tim Duncan was a Laker they would be singing his praises. They would definitly say he was the greatest PF in history. Instead they are blinded by the bright yellow color the Lakers wear for uniforms.

:tu

Obstructed_View
07-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I have a feeling Timmy wasn't being completely truthful. I think it will be a little personal...

mowgli
07-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Wow, I love Duncan the player and the sportsman, but this post reeks of incredible homerism. And it wouldn't hurt for Duncan to rattle some sabres once in a while to get a prized offseason target.

As an aside, Yaqeen Karo is probably a better, more direct translation.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 05:57 PM

Amen!

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Duncan evidentally has seen this movie:

http://www.ziyue.com/poster/h/HarlemNights.jpg

That's a Jack Jenkins quote from that movie...minus "ass" in front the whuppin' part and minus the stuttering.

"T-t-tt-t-tttt-Try not to tt-t-t-take this ass wh-wh-wh-whuppin personally"

That's one of my favorite quotes ever.

You must've read my mind, as I thought about that line, too, when I read Tim's comments. He is a big movie buff, so it wouldn't surprise me.

J_Paco
07-12-2008, 06:11 PM
I believe people undervalue Tim's tremendous skillset, especially when they fail to realize that he's not the same player as in his early years. He's an excellent rebounder, good to great shotblocker (has awesome timing), great passer and has one of the best low-post games ever in league history. Not to mention he's got solid, if not good ball-handling skils to top it off.

How many players aspire to be like and attempt to emulate Tim's all-around game? I can think of at least half a dozen.

Now, how many aspire to be like Shaquille O'Neal? Very few if any at all since Shaquille's game is mostly (not all) dependent on brute force.

Also, can anyone explain to me how Larry Bird had "superior" will or dedication to winning when he's got less titles with more talented teams?

Larry's :lobt::lobt::lobt: > Timmy's :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

:downspin::downspin::wow:wow

exstatic
07-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey, I love DRob, but you're not seriously comparing him to Kareem are you? If we Spurs fans don't like it when Lakers fans compare Kobe to Jordan, we shouldn't be doing the same type of thing.

David was a better athlete and a better post defender. Kareem had a much better offensive arsenal. I still think that David would have won a bunch of rings surrounded by the rest of Showtime.

I wasn't comparing the players as much as the attitudes. They both seemed fairly blase' about hoops.

endrity
07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Russell
Kareem
Bird
Magic
Jordan
Shaq
Kobe
Ali
Mayweather
Marciano
Tiger
Jack Nicklaus
Montana
Sampras
Brady
Federer

As many here have already pointed out, this list is very very debatable.

One other aspect that I would like to add, is that it reeks of American-centrism. I am only saying this since you decided to add Federer to the list, and therefore make it international.

If you do than you might want to open your eyes a little bit more beyond ESPN. Before you mention guys like Shaq and Kobe, (and even some other in that list) who are talented as hell but with questionable attitudes at best when compared to Duncan, you might want to check these guys out:

Lance Armstrong
Eddy Merckx (considered the greatest cycling rider of all times)
Michael Schumacher
Zinedine Zidane
Diego Armando Maradonna
Pele

and probably more in some lesser known disciplines.

polandprzem
07-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I believe people undervalue Tim's tremendous skillset, especially when they fail to realize that he's not the same player as in his early years. He's an excellent rebounder, good to great shotblocker (has awesome timing), great passer and has one of the best low-post games ever in league history. Not to mention he's got solid, if not good ball-handling skils to top it off.

How many players aspire to be like and attempt to emulate Tim's all-around game? I can think of at least half a dozen.

Now, how many aspire to be like Shaquille O'Neal? Very few if any at all since Shaquille's game is mostly (not all) dependent on brute force.

Also, can anyone explain to me how Larry Bird had "superior" will or dedication to winning when he's got less titles with more talented teams?

Larry's :lobt::lobt::lobt: > Timmy's :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

:downspin::downspin::wow:wow

wtf dedication got to do with titles?

Man of Steel
07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I wanted to see CM in a Spurs uniform, too.

But $5 million is a lot of money (except if you're Baron Davis or Elton Brand, I guess).

I think CM really had no choice--that is too much money to turn down.

BTW--I am glad Duncan said that to CM. It stands out when someone says very little like this but can back it up. Kobe may talk a lot of trash. But it stands out when Duncan say anything that resembles trash talking it because he isn't a quote machine.

J_Paco
07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
wtf dedication got to do with titles?

Umm, dedication to working on your game during the off-season, improving as a player and to winning.

Or did you fail to read the other, I don't know, 40 or so posts mentioning the word and concept?

whottt
07-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Come on guy. That silver and black cloud of dust has you Spurs fans blind. Kareem is by far the greatest college player ever. He won 3 titles at UCLA, with 3 college player of the year awards; would have been four if it were not for that NCAA rule that freshmans have to sit. He won 6 NBA MVP's. He had 6 NBA titles. Duncan is not even on the radar with Kareem. And by the way... Kobe has gone through Duncan with and without Shaq.

As timvp once said... Duncan is not great at anything! He just has a great will to win, and I agree. But on the flip side, there are guys who are great at a lot of things, and also has/had a greater will to win.

So what you are saying is that having Magic Johnson for a PG wouldn't have done shit for Duncan or Drob?

That makes you the least knowledgable poster on this board...

David Robinson and Tim Duncan never came close to missing the playoffs when healthy...Kareem finished in last place at least once...healthy.

And I remain amazed at how few Lakerfans realize that the Lakers tried like hell to sign David Robinson before he commited to the Spurs, in fact in IIRC 88David Robinson was a guest at the forum courtesy of Jerry West during the playoffs...

spursfan09
07-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Laker fans think that the only players worth having only played for them :rolleyes

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Laker fans think that the only players worth having only played for them :rolleyes

QFT!

TheMadHatter
07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
To be fair, the Lakers have had the luxury of having the best players to ever play the game wear P&G.

Magic, Kareem, Wilt, West, Baylor, Bryant, O'Neal.......

TD4THREE
07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Kobe has gone through Duncan with and without Shaq.

Yeah, and Duncan has gone through Kobe "with" Shaq. Kobe has never "led" his team to a title, Duncan has. Duncan has 2 MVP's, Kobe 1. Face it, Kobe has nothing on Duncan

TheMadHatter
07-12-2008, 08:03 PM
Duncan is a PF/C. Kobe is a SG/SF. There is no point comparing the two.

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Laker fans believe for the most part (it seems) that Kobe is >>>>> MJ. :lmao

TD4THREE
07-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Duncan is a PF/C. Kobe is a SG/SF. There is no point comparing the two.
When you're talking about career accomplishments, it's fair to compare them.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 08:10 PM
That was for Nick Van Exel. Tim was so right that we probably would have been better off with out him ;).

My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Obstructed_View
07-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Spoken like a true monkey:toast

Doesn't take a monkey to realize that Kobe is a career second banana. He's basically Gilbert Arenas with more athletic ability.

TheMadHatter
07-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Doesn't take a monkey to realize that Kobe is a career second banana. He's basically Gilbert Arenas with more athletic ability.

Spoken like a true monkey.

SRJ
07-12-2008, 08:59 PM
LOL... so Kobe will never get credit for winning a title. You girls are amazing. Duncan would never have a title without DRob, Manu, Parker... hell, why not throw in Oberto for that matter. You could use that stupid statement with just about every NBA star with the exception of Magic.

Yeah, Magic played with utter shit players at the other four positions. :rolleyes

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Come on guy. If you wanted to add on to my list thats fine, but I clearly stated thats all I would add for now. Armstrong is an American by the way, and does deserve to be on that list. Merckx, Diego and Pele also deserve to be on that list.

Shumacher drives a car for christs sake... disqualified! Zidane dont deserve to be on that list. Anyways, Duncan is not even on the radar when it comes to the top guys in all of sports. Only these homersim Spurs fans make such outrageous claims. If Duncan was a Laker he would be worthless in the eyes of Spur fans.

Dude, Duncan is the greatest player of this decade!!! I am a Mav fan, yet man enough to admit that. He is the best player of this generation, and therefore he should on top of any list comparing greatest athletes of all times, way before Shaq and Kobe.

As for the other guys, Lance is American, but in a sport that maybe less than 1% of the US follows. I don't think you have followed a stage of the Tour, or know any of the famous climbs which he won.

Schumacher is the greatest race care driver of all time. We can argue about this, but I think it takes much more skill to drive a car at over 220 mph than playing golf or baseball to be honest. The fact that most drivers retire at 36-37 while golfers and baseballers go on even in their 40s and more should tell you which takes more out of your body.

Zidane is the greatest soccer player in the last 20 years, don't let one moment in WC Final cloud your perspective on him. An overwhelming majority of people that follow soccer agree on this. Plus, the man really has won everything. 8 years before the incident the won the World Cup in a Final in which he scored two goals, and made him a living legend.

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, Magic played with utter shit players at the other four positions. :rolleyes

The funny thing is that he just mentioned Kareem as one of the all time greats, now he claims that he didn't play a part in helping Magic win the rings.

Which is it: Is Kareem really that great or not? Cause if Magic could win even w/out him than he really doesn't have much of a career in terms of all time great.

SRJ
07-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Cause if Magic could win even w/out him than he really doesn't have much of a career in terms of all time great.

After Kareem retired, Magic went to one Finals in three seasons (1990, 91, 96) and lost 4-1. FWIW.

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Learn to comprehend before responding. I said Magic was the exception because of all the players that were named, he was the only that won the title without his injured co-pilot (Kareem). Pippen goes down... Jordan dont win a title. According to Spurs fans... Manu gets a scratch on his ankle... and there goes the season. Magic was/is the only one that rose above tragic adversity to go on and win the title.

Are you refering to ONE game in 1980? Cause if my memory is correct, that is the one ring Magic won while the Kareem wasn't playing, and in that, he missed one game.

Plus, you should really check out Scottie's stats in the 98 Finals. His back was so bad he could barely walk through those playoffs. Those Finals and the whole playoffs really, should prove to people that Jordan really is on another planet in terms of comparing him to other players.

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
ONE GAME!! Not the title, one game!! He won one game without Kareem, but he had Kareem all the way until the series was 3-2 for the Lakers.

SRJ
07-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I said Magic was the exception because of all the players that were named, he was the only that won the title without his injured co-pilot (Kareem).

Yeah, the cupboard was really bare after Magic and Kareem. Jamaal Wilkes and Norm Nixon were total scrubs. And Magic sure had his hands full with...Caldwell Jones.

Plus, you should really check out Scottie's stats in the 98 Finals. His back was so bad he could barely walk through those playoffs. Those Finals and the whole playoffs really, should prove to people that Jordan really is on another planet in terms of comparing him to other players.

For those who don't remember, go find game six of the 1998 Finals. Pippen is moving around like he's got a vending machine tied to his waist.

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Boy, you sound like Allen Iverson...:lol

How so? You are telling me that Magic could have performed the same feat every single game in those playoffs without Kareem?

Because that's what it means to win a championship without someone. For all I know even someone named Sleepy Floyd had a great playoff game against the Lakers in the 80s. goes to show that one game does not make a player, and it certainly doesn't equal winning a championship.

rj215
07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Learn to comprehend before responding. I said Magic was the exception because of all the players that were named, he was the only that won the title without his injured co-pilot (Kareem). Pippen goes down... Jordan dont win a title. According to Spurs fans... Manu gets a scratch on his ankle... and there goes the season. Magic was/is the only one that rose above tragic adversity to go on and win the title.

So does that somehow make Magic > MJ.....if you think that somehow maybe you should put the crack pipe down and quit jerking off to your Kobe poster....simple fact is this and I'm sure it's been said before Kobe is a cancer but his talent and his stranglehold on the Lakers organization have them putting up with his utter bullshit.

Let's see what happens when Phil decides to stop putting up with it and retire. The I guess Kobe'll have to blame Bynum or Odom for not winning. A truly great player carries his team to greatness (MJ, Duncan, Magic, Russell, Shaq). All Kobe has ever done is bitched about playing with one of the top
10-15 players ever. Then just like Ray Allen said, he realized he couldn't win with what he had left so he asked for a trade.

Say what you want about Duncan but all he's ever done is stepped up his game for the playoffs and made his teams better. The mofo's won 4 titles with 4 almost enitrely different supporting casts. Nuff said....next.

endrity
07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Yeah, the cupboard was really bare after Magic and Kareem. Jamaal Wilkes and Norm Nixon were total scrubs. And Magic sure had his hands full with...Caldwell Jones.

For those who don't remember, go find game six of the 1998 Finals. Pippen is moving around like he's got a vending machine tied to his waist.

I remember that perfectly, I kept wondering how PJ left him in the game. He could not defend or do anything on offense.

polandprzem
07-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Umm, dedication to working on your game during the off-season, improving as a player and to winning.

Or did you fail to read the other, I don't know, 40 or so posts mentioning the word and concept?

Well Bird was doing just that, and?

TheMadHatter
07-13-2008, 12:00 AM
So does that somehow make Magic > MJ.....if you think that somehow maybe you should put the crack pipe down and quit jerking off to your Kobe poster....simple fact is this and I'm sure it's been said before Kobe is a cancer but his talent and his stranglehold on the Lakers organization have them putting up with his utter bullshit.

Let's see what happens when Phil decides to stop putting up with it and retire. The I guess Kobe'll have to blame Bynum or Odom for not winning. A truly great player carries his team to greatness (MJ, Duncan, Magic, Russell, Shaq). All Kobe has ever done is bitched about playing with one of the top
10-15 players ever. Then just like Ray Allen said, he realized he couldn't win with what he had left so he asked for a trade.

Say what you want about Duncan but all he's ever done is stepped up his game for the playoffs and made his teams better. The mofo's won 4 titles with 4 almost enitrely different supporting casts. Nuff said....next.

Kobe is such a cancer he's won 3 NBA titles and been to the Finals 5 times in 11 seasons. I'm sure the Lakers are counting the days until he retires. Give me a fucking break.

Duncan wouldn't stay one minute in San Antonio if the Spurs surrounded him with Smush, Kwame, and Walton as his starting PG/C/SF.

knee-knee-3
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Kobe is such a cancer he's won 3 NBA titles and been to the Finals 5 times in 11 seasons. I'm sure the Lakers are counting the days until he retires. Give me a fucking break.

Duncan wouldn't stay one minute in San Antonio if the Spurs surrounded him with Smush, Kwame, and Walton as his starting PG/C/SF.

* (with Shaq)

underdawg
07-13-2008, 12:08 AM

That's pretty funny - wasn't it kobe asking for a trade during the summer of 2007?

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 03:41 AM

Perhaps, but if he stayed he'd score more than one point in the second half of a playoff game seven.

iggypop123
07-13-2008, 03:51 AM
* (with Shaq)

its not like duncan did it alone either. correct me if im wrong robinson wasnt a scrub and was in the 50 greatest players list. and then recently with manu and tony. just like kobe had shaq and then the current team with bynum pau etc

bresilhac
07-13-2008, 03:54 AM

Tim is in a league Bryant can never hope to be in. Comparing the two is absurd. Tim is the greatest 4 of all time. Bryant is one the greatest prima donas and whiners of all time. Shaquille was the real reason that LA won the 2000, 01 and 02 Championships. Bryant was just along for the ride. Tim on the other hand has led four different teams to four Titles.

TheMadHatter
07-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Duncan has never won without David Robinson or Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. What a sorry sack of shit, he can't lead a team by himself.

Do you realize how dumb you all sound every time you try and discredit the 3 NBA Championships Kobe has?

Buddy Holly
07-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Duncan has never won without David Robinson or Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. What a sorry sack of shit, he can't lead a team by himself.

Do you realize how dumb you all sound every time you try and discredit the 3 NBA Championships Kobe has?

Oh please, Duncan lead those players to titles. You seriously think Kobe is winning three titles without Shaq? Seriously?

Manu and Tony of 2003 were role players. Tony sucked so hard Speedy Claxton had to play during the crucial minutes of the Finals.

TheMadHatter
07-13-2008, 04:10 AM
Oh please, Duncan lead those players to titles. You seriously think Kobe is winning three titles without Shaq? Seriously?

Manu and Tony of 2003 were role players. Tony sucked so hard Speedy Claxton had to play during the crucial minutes of the Finals.

In 2003 he had David Robinson, Bruce Bowen, Steve Kerr, Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili as his supporting cast. That's a championship caliber roster, don't even think about trying to argue that's a weak supporting cast. Maybe it's weak compared to the Spur's roster in '05 or '07, but that is not band of misfits like you make it out to be. Duncan wouldn't have won shit without the great supporting cast around him.

It's hilarious how you try and discredit Kobe as not being able to lead a team anywhere. Tell me, does Duncan lead a team starting Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, and Luke Walton to the promise land? I bet you dumb homers would argue that he would, that's how out of touch with reality you are.

The bottomline is this is the FIRST season since Shaq has left that Kobe has had adequate help around him. #1 in the WC, NBA Finals. I'd say those are same fucking amazing results considering his starting C was injured for half the season and all of the playoffs. Not to mention the team having to adjust to many in-season trades and injuries........all amidst the most competitive WC in decades.

endrity
07-13-2008, 04:34 AM
3 Finals MPVs > 0

kobe is very talented but until he LEADS multiple teams to a championship than this whole debate is pointless!

anakha
07-13-2008, 05:02 AM
3 Finals MPVs

http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/7/13/f_250px2006Mam_653c0e1.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/13/f_250px2006Mam_653c0e1.jpg&srv=img37)http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/7/13/f_250px2006Mam_653c0e1.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/13/f_250px2006Mam_653c0e1.jpg&srv=img37)http://img37.picoodle.com/img/img37/4/7/13/f_250px2006Mam_653c0e1.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/13/f_250px2006Mam_653c0e1.jpg&srv=img37)

:hat

GEICO Caveman
07-13-2008, 05:39 AM
10 years from now no one will remember Tim Duncan. They will all speak the greatness that is LeBron James, even if he never makes it to the Finals again.

mystargtr34
07-13-2008, 06:46 AM
:lol Tim Duncan will be remembered as the Bill Russell of the his era... and he will continually be linked with the greats like Kareem, Wilt, Russell and Hakeem and will be the measuring stick for future great big men.

Kobe on the other hand, will be remembered as a great volume scorer with the likes of Adrian Dantley and Allen Iverson who happened to be a role player on a championship team.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Laker fan is a bit touchy this morning. Must be that time o' the month.

peacemaker885
07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Dood, isn't there some other place that you can post yor Laker homerism? This is a Spurs board, the least you can do is give a little respect or is it too much to ask?

BlackSwordsMan
07-13-2008, 11:35 AM
A group of Sports writers took a poll and rated the top Big me in history, and guess where Timmy landed?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-GreatestCenters

4 big man better than duncan? I don't see what you're trying to say?/

BlackSwordsMan
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Duncan's name wasn't even mentioned in that ESPN article because he isn't a center
Smog in LA must really cloud your reading comprehension

peskypesky
07-13-2008, 11:36 AM
A group of Sports writers took a poll and rated the top Big me in history, and guess where Timmy landed?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-GreatestCenters

It's one thing for you to be a homer...it's another to be dishonest. That poll doesn't include Duncan because it was a poll about centers, not power forwards.

How about this poll, you loser:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2074360

peskypesky
07-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Oh, and btw, Tim won that power forward poll when he only had two Championships. He's added a couple more since then.

anakha
07-13-2008, 11:53 AM
:lmao at the lakerfan's blatant stupidity exposed.

duncan228
07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
10 years from now no one will remember Tim Duncan.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

My God. Can someone be banned for stupidity?

Fuck. This may be the all-time most ridiculous statement I've ever read here.

jmard5
07-13-2008, 12:13 PM
It's one thing for you to be a homer...it's another to be dishonest. That poll doesn't include Duncan because it was a poll about centers, not power forwards.

How about this poll, you loser:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2074360

Wow. You owned lakaluva BIG time, dude.

TD4THREE
07-13-2008, 02:41 PM
In 2003 he had David Robinson, Bruce Bowen, Steve Kerr, Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili as his supporting cast. That's a championship caliber roster, don't even think about trying to argue that's a weak supporting cast. Maybe it's weak compared to the Spur's roster in '05 or '07, but that is not band of misfits like you make it out to be. Duncan wouldn't have won shit without the great supporting cast around him.
In case you didn't know, that wasn't the hall of fame Robinson, that was the over the hill Robinson who was in his last year in the league. Besides Duncan there wasn't one all star caliber player on that roster. Tony was raw, Manu was raw, Sjax wasn't half as good as he is now. I guarantee you that Kobe could not have taken that team to the finals and won. Weak supporting cast no, but it wasn't great by any means. The reason it was a great team was because Duncan went completely nuts that year and put them over the top.

Kobe™
07-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Duncan Realizes
No More Rings For THe Spurs for awhile.

u guys have been pretty much the team of the decade, with LA right behind u.

Kobe™
07-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Lakaluva is ma niiigga.
LAKERNATION FO LYFE LAKA!!!

TheMadHatter
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
What position does Duncan actually play? It's a little disingenuous to call him a PF since he is the primary lowpost scorer on the Spurs. He's also the defensive anchor.

coopdogg3
07-14-2008, 12:22 AM
What position does Duncan actually play? It's a little disingenuous to call him a PF since he is the primary lowpost scorer on the Spurs. He's also the defensive anchor.

Because the Spurs fans have so much say in how ESPN does their survey. :rolleyes

coopdogg3
07-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Not so. It just simply show that Duncan should never be mentioned with the likes of the great centers of this league. Mentioning him with Malone, Barkley and all those other guys makes much more sense.

So Duncan shouldn't be mentioned with centers, because he isn't a center.

He should be mentioned with Power Forwards, because he is a power forward.

Gotcha.

mystargtr34
07-14-2008, 01:59 AM
So far in his career.....

Kobe's accomplishments have been being a role player on 3 championship teams.

He hasnt even earned the right to compare himself to Duncan as an all time great. You can do that by leading a team to a championship first, being the main guy.

Lets wait till he gets that part down.

John_C
07-14-2008, 02:48 AM
So far in his career.....

Kobe's accomplishments have been being a role player on 3 championship teams.

He hasnt even earned the right to compare himself to Duncan as an all time great. You can do that by leading a team to a championship first, being the main guy.

Lets wait till he gets that part down.

Kobe has other accomplishments such as leading a ragtag team to the playoffs, even if they exited the first round.

Kobe has lead the Lakers last season to the WCF trophy, which is a consolation to the NBA Trophy.

Kobe was the MVP last year, though he played like he did not deserve it during the Finals against Boston last year.

Kobe has lead the Lakers last season to six games in the NBA Finals, wherein they choked to death.

You see, he has other great accomplishments. Except that those don't mean jack shit when compared to great players' accomplishments who actually lead their team to the ultimate price.

And Duncan? Hell Duncan did nothing at all. He was just riding the coat tails of Robinson, Parker, Manu, and maybe even Big Shot Bob.